Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > Project: SAVE VMK! > Project: SAVE VMK! Archive

Project: SAVE VMK! Archive Archive forum for Project: SAVE VMK!

Old vmk closing

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Registered+

DistinctSpaceAgent is spinning in a Cursed Storm
i tink vmk closed because they lost a lot of there players to webkinz.com

does anybody now why vmk closed

Last edited by prisoner; 08-25-2008 at 01:21 PM..
Old 08-25-2008, 02:49 PM
WWTBAM Fan!
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2010 Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award VMK Memories Award 2010 Crossword Puzzle Participant's Award Happy Holidays'09 Award Which Disney Character Participant's Award Golden Years Award 
Total Awards: 13

My Mood: SaveVMK
DocCalvin is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Well, I was not there when VMK closed, so I suppose you might be right there - partly. They say that VMK was part of a 50th Anniversary of Disneyland promotion. When it ended, it took VMK along with it. That's what I know, anyway...
Old 08-25-2008, 05:19 PM
•Dancing through life•
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Expert Relocator Participants Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award Halloween '08 Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 6

Born In Park Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Regal
Kitri has disabled reputation
Vmk closed because Disney ended it's partenership with sulake.

Clickie
Thank you SoccerRyan and Pisces for being my math tutors!
Old 08-25-2008, 05:26 PM
disco pogo
Awards Showcase
Make A Wish Award Halloween'10 Award 2010 Holiday Award Epitaph Participant's Award Caption Contest Winner's Award Graphics Trio Award VMK Memories Award 2010 Happy St. Patrick's Day 2010 
Total Awards: 26

Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Surrender
BuzzBoy133 is covered with ConfettiBuzzBoy133 is covered with ConfettiBuzzBoy133 is covered with Confetti
Well, theres no real answer to this. People have come up with ideas and such, but have not fully proven them. The oficial answer from Disney is that VMK was part of the 50th Celebration of Disneyland and was meant to close 16-18 months after it opend, but because of its popularity, stayed open for almost another 2 years. The answer is located at www.vmk.com

Old 08-25-2008, 05:36 PM
•Dancing through life•
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Expert Relocator Participants Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award Halloween '08 Winner's Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzBoy133 View Post
Well, theres no real answer to this. People have come up with ideas and such, but have not fully proven them. The oficial answer from Disney is that VMK was part of the 50th Celebration of Disneyland and was meant to close 16-18 months after it opend, but because of its popularity, stayed open for almost another 2 years. The answer is located at www.vmk.com
That's the answer given to the public. The answer I gave above is my me logical estimate.

Clickie
Old 08-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Unicorn Waffle Elderly
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Carol Parody Participant's Award Patriot 2009 Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Participants Award 
Total Awards: 14

My Mood: Cheesy
lucky33325 is floating through Inner Space
this is what happened: Disney made VMK with a japinese company named sulake, and sulake wasnt makin any money from it, so they disided to stop helping disney. ( webkinz isnt that popular, they were losing members to stuff like maplestory, world of warcraft, etc. ).
Old 08-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Red Flips Rule!
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award Halloween'10 Award 2010 Holiday Award Carol Parody Winner's Award Epitaph Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 39

VIP
My Mood: RedFlips
StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!
Do not believe anything anyone says unless they have FULL and COMPLETE proof. The true answer has not been released to the public and it is kept well within the company. The reason is not allowed to be shared.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:23 PM
Can I be a "Registered-"?
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 2

Zimonada is spinning in a Cursed Storm
At this point it doesn't really matter why it's closed. What matters is the fact that it's closed. Those who don't care about the fact it closed have already moved on to other things, and those who do care are focused on reopening it.

All credit goes to Ammie!
Old 08-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Random is my middle name
Awards Showcase
Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 1

RockieRoad is spinning in a Cursed Storm
i knew it from the beginning. it's the yeti's fault. no one believes me, but, oh, they will. one day, they WILL!
Old 08-25-2008, 09:46 PM
Deal with it!
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Graphics Trio Award 
Total Awards: 23

Born In Park
My Mood: Evil
EtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with Confetti
^No it was push's fault, once push left vmk fell apart. ^

I don't think it was webkinz because I played webkinz and vmk, and honestly I enjoyed vmk alot more. Webkinz was a bit too kiddyish.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:21 PM
aka Priz
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 2

prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!
Except where quoting others, the following are my opinions, and my opinions only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzBoy133 View Post
Well, theres no real answer to this. People have come up with ideas and such, but have not fully proven them.
I suspect the real reasons (and yes, I mean more than one) for VMKs closure are many and varied - and will likely never be completely known or understood. But I think they really come down to bad management inside Disney on many levels. VMK was badly managed, and the entire gaming division at Disney is badly managed and suffers from lack of vision and understanding of the current state of the industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky33325 View Post
this is what happened: Disney made VMK with a japinese company named sulake, and sulake wasnt makin any money from it, so they disided to stop helping disney. ( webkinz isnt that popular, they were losing members to stuff like maplestory, world of warcraft, etc. ).
Sulake isn't Japanese, its Finnish. There has also been no evidence that Sulake canceled the contract - and every indication that it was Disney that either canceled it or chose not to renew it.

Webkinz not popular? I'd say I know more people who play Webkinz than Maplestory and WoW combined.

I don't think Webkinz is really a big factor, however. VMK was well positioned to tackle Webkinz at the core "gimmick" - it would have been very easy for Disney to attach secret codes to nearly all of their products to be rewarded inside VMK. It isn't clear why they didn't do this, except for management incompetence.

VMK's biggest problem was the relative sparseness of number of games. On this front, Club Penguin was better positioned, and I think this leads to a bigger clue about why VMK was ultimately terminated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimonada View Post
At this point it doesn't really matter why it's closed.
Some people, myself included, think it matters a great deal why. It goes to the heart of how Disney treats its guests (ie - its customers) and how they may treat people who play their other games.

What Disney has told us is, essentially, "Don't play any of our games. We don't care about them, and we don't care about you."

You are now leaving Prizkneeland, home of
please fasten your reality belts

preserving VMK for a future that will understand it.

Power to the Players!
Old 08-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Courageous
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Guess the Picture Winner's Award Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 7

Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: MadHat
Brer_Nick is spinning in a Cursed Storm
It can't be because of Sulake because I believe SUlake is making POTCO

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, shining at the end of every day. There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, just a Dream away...
Old 08-26-2008, 09:51 PM
.:Remember:.
Awards Showcase
Caption Contest Participant Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 3

Here Since Day 1
My Mood: VMK
cookiefairy is as Frosty as a Snowman
Disney's being fishy, and it has nothing to do with Nemo.
I can't accept that it simply closed for no reason other than a promotion ending. Anyway, what about the Kellogg's thing? Who heard of a promotion in a promotion?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:24 PM
•Dancing through life•
Awards Showcase

It was pushes fault. I agreed once push left, vmk feel apart.

Clickie
Old 08-27-2008, 08:38 PM
Deal with it!
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Graphics Trio Award 
Total Awards: 23

Born In Park
My Mood: Evil
EtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with Confetti
Quote:
Originally Posted by prisoner View Post
Except where quoting others, the following are my opinions, and my opinions only.

I suspect the real reasons (and yes, I mean more than one) for VMKs closure are many and varied - and will likely never be completely known or understood. But I think they really come down to bad management inside Disney on many levels. VMK was badly managed, and the entire gaming division at Disney is badly managed and suffers from lack of vision and understanding of the current state of the industry.

Sulake isn't Japanese, its Finnish. There has also been no evidence that Sulake canceled the contract - and every indication that it was Disney that either canceled it or chose not to renew it.

Webkinz not popular? I'd say I know more people who play Webkinz than Maplestory and WoW combined.

I don't think Webkinz is really a big factor, however. VMK was well positioned to tackle Webkinz at the core "gimmick" - it would have been very easy for Disney to attach secret codes to nearly all of their products to be rewarded inside VMK. It isn't clear why they didn't do this, except for management incompetence.

VMK's biggest problem was the relative sparseness of number of games. On this front, Club Penguin was better positioned, and I think this leads to a bigger clue about why VMK was ultimately terminated.

Some people, myself included, think it matters a great deal why. It goes to the heart of how Disney treats its guests (ie - its customers) and how they may treat people who play their other games.

What Disney has told us is, essentially, "Don't play any of our games. We don't care about them, and we don't care about you."
All I can say is wow. I've been waiting to see a mods view of the decision and it was worth the wait. I completely agree, I only wish I would have thought of some of those points you said sooner. Thank you.

I'm glad you agree with me kitri.