Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Magic Kingdoms > Magic Kingdoms Archive

Magic Kingdoms Archive Archive forum for Magic Kingdoms

Old Epcot Wand?

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Walt Disney Fan!
Awards Showcase
VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award Halloween '09 Award Patriot 2009 Award Happy St. Patrick's Day 
Total Awards: 6

Born In Park Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Disney
Ducky Wucky has turned into a sparkling Pirate!Ducky Wucky has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
Epcot Wand?

I'm really confused. I'm a hardcore Disneyland fan, so I know nothing of WDW.

What is up with everyone hating the wand on the Epcot golf ball looking thing. I didn't think it looked so bad. What's the big deal?
Old 03-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Red Flips Rule!
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award Halloween'10 Award 2010 Holiday Award Carol Parody Winner's Award Epitaph Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 39

VIP
My Mood: RedFlips
StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!
I really have no idea why people hated the EPCOT Wand on the Ball. I personally think it was a nice Disney touch to a futuristic theme park. The only reason I can see people not liking it, is because they like a nice, plain logo which is straight to the point. People saw the ball before the wand was there, and they obviously liked that more than the skaffolding next to the structure.

That's the only reason I can see behind peoples comments.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Deal with it!
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Graphics Trio Award 
Total Awards: 23

Born In Park
My Mood: Evil
EtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with Confetti
I personally loved the wand and wish it wasn't tooken down, Still cant figure out why people thought it was ugly. Maybe they think mickey's arm is ugly?
Old 03-04-2008, 06:19 PM
« How Unfortunate
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

Clan Leader Here Since Day 1 VIP
CapnOlaf is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtnaGreen View Post
I personally loved the wand and wish it wasn't tooken down, Still cant figure out why people thought it was ugly. Maybe they think mickey's arm is ugly?
Sometimes, less is more. The sphere looks perfect without the wand, but reasons why the wand was taken down was...

1. Maintenance.
2. Money and electricity.
3. The wand would slightly scrape a nearby monorail, at least that's what I've heard.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Deal with it!
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Graphics Trio Award 

Born In Park
EtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with Confetti
They maintain alot of other things, that takes much more time.
I am sure they have plenty of money
If it scrapes the monorail then make it a little shorter, you thing the genuises would have figured to measure the distance to the monorial better..
Old 03-04-2008, 07:41 PM
VMB:Virtual Magical Blop
Awards Showcase
Guess the Picture Winner's Award Caption Contest Participant Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 4

Here Since Day 1
My Mood: Disney
Blop is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnOlaf View Post
Sometimes, less is more. The sphere looks perfect without the wand, but reasons why the wand was taken down was...

1. Maintenance.
2. Money and electricity.
3. The wand would slightly scrape a nearby monorail, at least that's what I've heard.
4. Also, The inside of the wand was rusting, badly.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Come to the Lazy Mermaid!
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

Jacques is covered with ConfettiJacques is covered with ConfettiJacques is covered with Confetti
As someone who has only been to WDW once, my comments will probably not be in line with the majority. But here goes:

I HATED the wand.

There. I said it. Whew! I feel better now. Now let me explain. I have an interest in design and architecture. Buckminster Fuller's geodesic dome is a near-perfect structure in its simplicity and form. EPCOT's complete sphere was the ultimate realization of that shape. It needed nothing else other than itself. Adding a giant cartoony wand diminished the clean look. I feel that the sphere itself was a magnificent structural achievement. The wand and arm took away from that.

I don't expect to change anyone's opinions, but the question was asked, and I felt compelled to answer.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Deal with it!
Awards Showcase

Born In Park
I dont know the just plain sphere is just blah.. I mean it looks really cool the first hundred times you see it but the wand just adds a disney touch. If the wand was rusting and scraping the monorail I am surpised then add tinker bell and her wand at the top or something. Then again that my opinion.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Trader
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Award Patriot 2010 Award Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award Halloween '09 Award Patriot 2009 Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Participants Award 
Total Awards: 11

Born In Park
My Mood: Baffled
awsomered is spinning in a Cursed Storm
aww they took it down??? that stinks. It added the disney touch and i've always seen it like that
Old 03-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

slinkyman is floating through Inner Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
As someone who has only been to WDW once, my comments will probably not be in line with the majority. But here goes:

I HATED the wand.

There. I said it. Whew! I feel better now. Now let me explain. I have an interest in design and architecture. Buckminster Fuller's geodesic dome is a near-perfect structure in its simplicity and form. EPCOT's complete sphere was the ultimate realization of that shape. It needed nothing else other than itself. Adding a giant cartoony wand diminished the clean look. I feel that the sphere itself was a magnificent structural achievement. The wand and arm took away from that.

I don't expect to change anyone's opinions, but the question was asked, and I felt compelled to answer.
Such a fantastic post!

The wand was for the 2000 celebration... not to stay forever. It stayed it's welcome and now it is gone. (w00t)
Old 03-04-2008, 08:38 PM
« How Unfortunate
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinkyman View Post
Such a fantastic post!

The wand was for the 2000 celebration... not to stay forever. It stayed it's welcome and now it is gone. (w00t)
Amen to that.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Deal with it!
Awards Showcase

Born In Park
You have to be kidding me, it looked way cooler than the stupid sorcerer hat..
Old 03-04-2008, 08:44 PM
« How Unfortunate
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtnaGreen View Post
You have to be kidding me, it looked way cooler than the stupid sorcerer hat..
And it still does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnOlaf View Post
Sometimes, less is more. The sphere looks perfect without the wand.
And it will always be perfect, and I'm taking that to the bank.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

slinkyman is floating through Inner Space
Now let's get that wand removed from the EPCOT Guest Room
Old 03-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Deal with it!
Awards Showcase

Born In Park
And get the monorial on the right side..