Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > Disneys Online Worlds Guide (wiki) > Wiki Archive

Old Adding / Finding things in the Wiki

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:02 PM
aka Priz
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 2

prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!
Adding / Finding things in the Wiki

Neo and I had a conversation in another thread, and since it was about the wiki (and not really topical for there), and raised some interesting questions, I wanted to move it here for further discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoteny View Post
I don't see them in the Wiki; that's why I thought they might be new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prisoner View Post
You don't? ALR Mushrooms SM

(Was there since last Friday, including the picture, thanks to Spin and Schmoofy.)
Quote:
They're not on this page or this page. Or this page. In fact, without doing a direct search for that exact item, how would I even know of its existence?
Quote:
Originally Posted by prisoner View Post
It is, however, on the Timeline and Important Updates (and now also on the alice theme page, thanks for catching that).
Quote:
Well, that's just why I thought they were new when I saw them in the shop. I use the Wiki as a resource, but I guess it's not always entirely up-to-date.
Nope, it isn't. But we're surprisingly up-to-date on the raw information, but our indexing sometimes takes a little bit of time.

Looking at your specific example of the ALR Mushrooms SM:
  • I had added them to the Timeline and Important Updates at 7:19:30 (DL Time) on the day they were released. This was part of 13 changes that morning.
  • At 11:19:21, Spin was able to make the template and fill in the basic information.
  • Doing this automatically added it to the Furniture Checklist, which is a text list of all the furniture items.
  • It took a couple more hours, until 16:09:50, for him to get the photo in place.

As you correctly noted, it was missing from a number of other pages, including
So why was it missing from these? Mostly because these pages are maintained by hand, which makes it easier to forget to include them in all the locations appropriate. Especially when we're adding so many other items at the same time.

But its also how we approach indexing things. I add things to Timeline and Important Updates first, because thats how I think of things - when they were released. I know other people will add them to the Checklist first, because thats how they think of them. Others will put it in a category first. Why? Usually because thats where we (individually) look first when looking for an item.

(Another good place to look is using the Search page or box on the left. It has issues, however. Using your example, "ALR" wouldn't match (too short), and "mushroom" wouldn't match. You'd need to use "mushrooms" because thats the name of the item. But since you were starting with the name, it would have been easier in this case.)

Disney's Online Worlds runs on teamwork - none of us may have enough time to do everything, but if we each just do a little when we have a moment, it turns into something great. I relied on others to finish filling in gaps, just like they relied on me to do the same. And it works!

Are there gaps - sure. And you found some, pointed them out, and I had a moment and made some fixes. We rely on that teamwork too! In fact, we encourage it so much that we love it when people become editors and help us directly by becoming part of the team directly.

And I'll point out that we're not the only ones that can miss things sometimes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopper View Post
Water Parks - Typhoon Lagoon (Host Games, 6/1/07)

(thanks Neoteny!)

also,
Inner-Space Suit Red Magic Pin (Prize from Tomorrowland in-park quest, 5/4/07)

(missed that one, Neoteny! :-))
Quote:
Oops! Sorry!
The best part, however, is that neither the wiki nor bopper's pin list rely on one person to be complete and correct. The difference is that on the wiki - there are lots of editors who have the power to change that.

You are now leaving Prizkneeland, home of
please fasten your reality belts

preserving VMK for a future that will understand it.

Power to the Players!

Last edited by prisoner; 06-02-2007 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: fix typo
Old 06-02-2007, 02:55 PM
A-wocka-wocka!
Awards Showcase
Golden Years Award Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 3

My Mood: Hopeful
Neoteny is covered with ConfettiNeoteny is covered with ConfettiNeoteny is covered with Confetti
Is there a way to link the various lists together, so that, for example, when a new item is added, it automatically shows up in the various pages where it belongs?
Old 06-02-2007, 03:12 PM
aka Priz
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 2

prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!
Quote:
Is there a way to link the various lists together, so that, for example, when a new item is added, it automatically shows up in the various pages where it belongs?
Not exactly.

We can (and have) made it so when we create an item, it shows up in the Furniture Checklist, and it is fairly easy to have things show up in similar categories.

But these are purely text lists, arranged alphabetically, and often breaking into multiple pages. We have no control over how this list looks, just what text we want above it. And we know the graphical tables of items are very popular and very useful.

Thats why we've gone the route we have - the checklist pages that are automatically generated, and the more detailed pages that are done by hand. Its relatively easy to add things by hand - we just have to remember to do it! Even the categories aren't flawless - we have a boilerplate template that we fill in for the various items (furniture, clothes, pins, etc) that includes the category marker - but any additional categories we have to add by hand.

We're trying to make it easier when we add items - but there is still a lot that has to be manually done.

You are now leaving Prizkneeland, home of
please fasten your reality belts

preserving VMK for a future that will understand it.

Power to the Players!
Old 06-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Trader

My Mood: Adventurous
puchisana is spinning in a Cursed Storm
prisoner, I send a mail so I can join the wiki. But nick hasn't accepted me, do I have to wait for an e-mail?
Old 06-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Don't forget the wiki
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

SpinMarty ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureSpinMarty ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureSpinMarty ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureSpinMarty ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureSpinMarty ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureSpinMarty ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
ooo, I like the example of the Mushrooms and it's progress in the wiki. That is cool.

The wiki is indeed a HUGE team effort. I will admit that it is so fun to be able to start something and other's can add to complete it. An example, one day Pris added the new items to the Timeline (as I think all current editors do first), I was following him almost immediately by adding the templates, Schmoofy was added the info and then one of us (cannot remember which) added the photos. It is like an assembly line.

So yes, the timeline is the usually the first place to add info, then the individual item page, then the other pages as we get to them. Since we all have jobs/school it sometimes gets lost in the shuffle which is why we rely on the "wiki needs and edit" thread for others to give us a heads up when needed
Old 06-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Trader

prisoner, I send a mail so I can join the wiki. But nick hasn't accepted me, do I have to wait for an e-mail?
Old 06-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Don't forget the wiki
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

SpinMarty ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureSpinMarty ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureSpinMarty ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureSpinMarty ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureSpinMarty ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureSpinMarty ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
You have to wait for an email reply, yes.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Trader

Thanks for quick reply, but can someone else do this? I like somethings that i want to edit
Old 06-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Don't forget the wiki
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

You can always suggest things in the "non-wiki editor" section. Nick is the only one doing this at the moment.