Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Disney Fan Club > Disney Gossip > Disney Gossip Archive

Disney Gossip Archive Disney Gossip archive

Old Warning Spoilers Inside!! POTC @ DLR

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:24 PM
Hit it Skip

TheCoasterNut is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Warning Spoilers Inside!! POTC @ DLR

I was one of the few to be privileged enough to go on the POTC ride before it opens. If you would like to know about some of the new elements before it opens then by all means continue reading. But if you don't want to know then please stop. Yes stop reading this very instant. Honestly though if you don't want to know what happens then stop reading!

If you are still reading this; then properly warned ye be says I!

As you enter the building you will notice the painting of Capitan Jack Sparrow immediately on your left. His portrait has joined the ranks of those other captains and scalawags who adorn the walls of the queue, and the old fiber optics "Pirates of the Caribbean" sign is gone. It has been replaced with a "map" of the attraction that details some of the areas you will be heading.After boarding you will notice a new sign has been placed immediately to your right after leaving the dock. It is nothing special, and is actually one of the worst parts of the new show.

As you continue onward into the bayou you will notice that the greenish lighting that once occupied this area has been replaced by many many black lights that have been set up against the far wall of the building, thus illuminating the wall and part of the ceiling, and providing a very bright purple glow that helps illuminate the scene. This area remains mostly unchanged.

When you float around the corner you find your way to the first waterfall. Not many will notice the differences here as the end result is strikingly similar to the original. But the skull and crossbones have been replaced by a skull with crossed swords. Your boat will then proceed slowly over the first fall into the darkness. After plunging into the silent abyss you slowly find your way to another waterfall, and at the bottom of that the real ride starts.

None of the elements in the beach scene appear any different than they always have, but as you go around the corner and see the skeleton at the helm you will see the first big change. There is now a realistic looking storm behind him, complete with wind whipped rain, and lightning bolts that strike the ship. Much better than the silly strobe light they used to have in there.

The bar scene remains much the same as it used to be. The only difference that I noticed is that their are now skeletons at the chess game, I don't remember ever seeing these there before so please correct me if I am wrong.

The captains quarters have undergone so many changes that it is hard to list them all. Mostly they have just added props to the scene, but the things they have added fit in so well you wouldn't even know that they weren't there before. One of the things in this room that does stand out though is a skeleton parrot that sits next to the piano.

Around the corner you will catch a glimpse of the new treasure room. The new gold coins are nice and shiny and their is much more loot in this room now instead of just a bunch of nice shiny looking stuff. You will notice the chest that holds the cursed gold of the Aztec as you exit the room, and yes that is the real chest from the movie. My only complaint here is that the chest isn't spooky enough, it needs to be lit differently.

As you pass onward you will notice the first major change, and you might start trying to hide some of your belongings so they won't get wet. Believe it or not right in front of your boat is a waterfall, and your boat is heading strait for it. Just before you pass through the water Davey Jones appears and warns you not to assist Jack Sparrow in his attempted escape. You then pass through the waterfall, thats right I said through, and into the port battle.

You will see that the captain has been replaced by a Barbossa animatronic complete with new dialog. I unfortunately was still recovering from the waterfall and was unable to understand what he was saying. The boat is still the wicked wench, and the Black Pearl is no where to be seen, due to copyrights and all sorts of legal mumbo jumbo . . . but anyway back to the changes. The silhouettes that have been battling up there on the wall have gotten an overhaul, and are looking better that ever!

We now float into the dunking of the mayor, and if you have keen ears you will notice that they no longer want to know where the treasure is, but where Sparrow is, since he has the map to the treasure. This is were Jack can first be spotted. He is hiding behind some dresses and is very lifelike in his movements and in appearance. Many of the people on my boat thought it was a real person standing there.

Moving onward the auction has had no noticeable changes, and is one of the few scenes that hasn't changed. In the next scene where the pirates were chasing after the women / looking for a bite to eat (pick one) you will notice that instead of food they are now holding mountains of gold, and instead of a fat pirate with a turkey leg, we now have a pirate with a map, asking us if we've seen Jack. He (Jack) is hiding inside the barrel next to the pirate, and occasionally pops he head out to see if the coast is clear.

The next scene (flaming city) has undergone some major changes story wise, but only those with good eyes will spot them. If you take a look in the water you will notice lots of little bottles floating around. These bottles are actually a type of explosive, and for safety's sake I will not be going into any more detail about what they are. But you will notice that the drunken pirate who sits upon the bridge is now holding one of these exploding bottles instead of his normal jug.

The jail scene has undergone some minor lighting changes, but the scene as a whole remains the same.

The final shoot-out has had the lighting redone so you can see the armor move when the pirates accidentally shoot it. You will notice that the greedy pirates are now gone, and in their place is a new show scene where Jack Sparrow is merrily reminiscing about his newfound wealth.

This brings us back up the hill where we hear a final warning from Davy Jones. I unfortunately couldn't here him as the sound was not adjusted to the appropriate levels.

This concludes the new pirates attraction. All thats left is to get out of your boat and pass by the newly remodeled Pieces O' Eight shop.

Feel free to post any comments, questions, or suggestions.

-TheCoasterNut

P.S. I might be able to get some picts soon!
Old 06-23-2006, 07:59 PM
Defying Gravity...

smrtfriendship ’s Invisible pin is 5* - Spooky!
That's awesome! Lucky you! Thanks for the update on the new POTC ride!
Old 06-23-2006, 08:08 PM
Noise amongst the static
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Signature Donation Award 
Total Awards: 3

My Mood: SaveVMK
LordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying around
A waterfall? Is it like a small, curtain of water waterfall, or is it a big, gallons of water at a time waterfall?
Old 06-23-2006, 08:11 PM
Hit it Skip

TheCoasterNut is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I don't want to give away all the secrets, so lets just leave it at a waterfall
Old 06-23-2006, 08:15 PM
Left VMKF

CurlySlim is Buried in TreasureCurlySlim is Buried in TreasureCurlySlim is Buried in Treasure
wait where is this and what's going on? are they getting rid of the old one? is the in WDW or DLR or both?!?!
Old 06-23-2006, 08:19 PM
On The Air!™

figmentisback is spinning in a Cursed Storm
You wont get pics or video till Sunday afternoon.... otherwise it's illegal..

Descriptions are barely allowed...
Old 06-23-2006, 08:20 PM
Environmentalist
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 2

Zebraa is floating through Inner Space
That's cool! Did you get soaked from the waterfall, or does it like, stop and you only get a little wet?
Old 06-24-2006, 06:34 AM
I have all room awards!!

MagicStarPower is spinning in a Cursed Storm
LOL Ive seen this! I saw a show on it and they were showing the waterfall part of the ride! Its AWESOME!
Old 06-24-2006, 07:32 AM
Playing @ Mouse House!
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Private Message Donation Award 
Total Awards: 2

My Mood: Relaxed
VisitingTheMouse is spinning in a Cursed Storm
WOW The Coasternut!! I am going to ride the new POTC ride on MOnday when they open to the public. I was hoping it will be ready Sunday but the CM I talked to on phone said Monday. Thanks for info insight!! I called DLR and talked to a CM who told me about Saturday's special event and she told me how she got to ride the new POTC ride this morning (friday) and she told me some neat things and that I will enjoy the ride. I am looking forward to it!!! Love that ride!!
YOu lucky dog you got to ride already......good for you!!
Old 06-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Born to Ride

ASuperStitch is covered with ConfettiASuperStitch is covered with ConfettiASuperStitch is covered with Confetti
Wow I did not realize that the DLR Pirate ride was so different from the WDW ride. From your explanation there are a lot of differences. I can't wait till July 7 when the pirate ride opens here in WDW land.

Are you sure what you are saying or doing is allowed? Check the Forum Rules and Regulations to be sure!
Do you play ToonTown? Check the Wiki for everything you need to know about Toontown!
For everthing VMK go to the Wiki
Old 06-24-2006, 07:24 PM
On The Air!™

figmentisback is spinning in a Cursed Storm
You can take all the video you want tomorrow... when it soft opens for the public... maybe... just a rumor right now... after 12:00p.m.