Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Other Games > Other G Rated Games > Other Games Archive

Other Games Archive Other Games Archive

Old WARNING: Scammer may be on the loose in TT

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:23 AM
©MMVII-MMVIII (2007-2008)

The Minigolf Master is covered with ConfettiThe Minigolf Master is covered with ConfettiThe Minigolf Master is covered with Confetti
WARNING: Scammer may be on the loose in TT

So I was doing my annual eveyday TTC hunting. I saw a link to an interesting thread in a siggie. This is the 1st post. My additions are in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "The Edge" from TTC
I have been unsubscribed from toontown for over a year, so I was quite surprised when I received this e-mail:

Quote:
Greetings,

It has come to our attention that your account is being used by several differnt countrys. As you may or may not be aware of, this conflicts with the EULA and Terms of Agreement of Disney Entertainment and Toontown. If upon further investigation you are indeed not the original owner, your account can and will be disabled.

In order to avoid account suspension, you should verify your ownership of the account.

We at Blizzard Entertainment take infractions quite seriously and we must confirm the original ownership of the account(s). This is easily done by supplying personal information about your Disney\'s Toontown Account account. You can confirm you are the original owner of the account by replying to the e-mail address provided.

Please use the following template below to verify your account via e-mail:

*First and Last name:
*Account Name
*Secret Question and Answer:

If you ignore this email your account will be closed permanently for violation of the EULA (End User License Agreement).

We look forward to your reply soon.

Regards,
Account Administration Team
Disney Entertainment Inc
This has lead me to believe that there might be a scammer on the loose.
What lead me to believe that?
Well..
1) When I did play toontown, I only used my account in one country.
2) They didn't mention my account name, which probably means they do not know it.
3) They claim to be from "Blizzard Entertainment". I did a search on that, and can't see how it relates to Toontown.
4) They used an e-mail from which I have never received a toontown e-mail from before. They usually use <something>@disneyonline.com
5) They spelled a bunch of words worng, whereas Disney often spells them right.
6) Also, they do not use "Account Administration Team", they use their first name. Anyone who plays a Disney Game should know that that's fake.
7) And "Disney Entertainment Inc."? Again, anyone who plays a Disney game on these forums should know that that's a fake.

In Conclusion, I think some clever scam is at work here, and would like to know if others have received an e-mail of similar form.

-Edge
Do YOU play Toontown and have seen an E-mail like that? Here's the link to the full thread: http://www.toontowncentral.com/forum...8817-scam.html
Even though I'm not random here, check out all my nearly 2000 posts on TTC, ***, and PHF, and get a bus loadfull of the most random randomness the depths of random can ever randomly give you! OK, now that was random.
TTC - TrickyB
VMKF - The Minigolf Master
*** - The Minigolf Master
PHF - TrickyB

Last edited by TopazR; 08-08-2008 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: minor adjustments
Old 08-08-2008, 12:26 AM
xD
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

LLamaLLamadddj is spinning in a Cursed Storm
AHh! I Havnt seen an email yet luckily =D
Old 08-08-2008, 12:37 AM

The Minigolf Master is covered with ConfettiThe Minigolf Master is covered with ConfettiThe Minigolf Master is covered with Confetti
I'm also bolding/underlining the parts that make it obvious that it's not from Disney, or the parts that relate to the section "What lead me to believe that?".
Even though I'm not random here, check out all my nearly 2000 posts on TTC, ***, and PHF, and get a bus loadfull of the most random randomness the depths of random can ever randomly give you! OK, now that was random.
TTC - TrickyB
PHF - TrickyB
Old 08-08-2008, 12:58 AM
Nothing.
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 2

My Mood: Adventurous
ivanbyte9 is spinning in a Cursed Storm
How scary is that? Someone could be using someone else's account when the owner of the account has no clue about it.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:10 AM
sugarlandconcert♥
Awards Showcase
Happy St. Patrick's Day 2010 Halloween '09 Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Design a Pin Participation's Award Patriot 2009 Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Participants Award Mod Match Participant 
Total Awards: 15

My Mood: Creative
taylorswiftfan13 has Fireworks shooting off over their headtaylorswiftfan13 has Fireworks shooting off over their headtaylorswiftfan13 has Fireworks shooting off over their headtaylorswiftfan13 has Fireworks shooting off over their headtaylorswiftfan13 has Fireworks shooting off over their head
i don't play toontown but wow that's kinda scary. someone using your account...

~taylor
Old 08-08-2008, 02:21 AM
Too lazy to post
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award Crossword Puzzle Participant's Award Happy St. Patrick's Day 2010 Your Favorite Attraction Award Happy Valentine's Day 
Total Awards: 24

My Mood: Busy
Pisces has turned into a sparkling Pirate!Pisces has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
Ooh trying to steal accounts? I think they're also trying to use the EULA to scare people, as most people don't actually read it... This email (if it has not) should be reported to Disney... Tsk tsk, misspelling different AND countries right next to each other?
Old 08-08-2008, 12:49 PM
#1 fan of Xigbar ^.^
Awards Showcase
Caption Contest Participant Halloween '08 Participation Award Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 3

xigbar is spinning in a Cursed Storm
XD... I made a free trial toontown account, because I heard of this e-mail from my little brother, and I followed the instructions, and about a day later, when I tried to log in, the password was always wrong.

Anyways... try replying to this E-mail falsely. I also tracked down their IP address, then their location, so I know it's definitly not where the Disney Online peoples are - cough cough wisconsin cough cough -. Humm de doo ^_^
Old 08-08-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorswiftfan13 View Post
i don't play toontown but wow that's kinda scary. someone using your account...

~taylor
Yeah, but if you play any other Disney Games, that may pop up. BTW, I think someone just tried to get account/personal info. That's still bad. And, Wisconsin, you say? The Disney folk are in California.
TTC - TrickyB
PHF - TrickyB
Old 08-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Now bring me that horizon
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

My Mood: Scurvy
cooliomoviefan is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Oh thats interesting. Something happened like that on aim where this message was sent to me by an "admin" and it said something like, "in order to cut down on our large database, we are deleting unactive AIM users. Please forward this exact message to 20 of your buddies to show you are an active user to avoid having your account deleted. Thank you, AIM staff."
I went on snopes then, (the website that figures out scams and stuff) and searched "unactive" scam. Then a link with a ton of past scams exactly like that showed, like UPS, MSN, and Yahoo messenger. It said its not from the company, and it wont do damage but it wont delete your account, so dont forward it. I know in your case its probably a different story but search for it on snopes because it was really helpful for me.

My tremendous intuitive sense of the female creature informs me that you are troubled.