Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > Project: SAVE VMK! > Project: SAVE VMK! Archive

Project: SAVE VMK! Archive Archive forum for Project: SAVE VMK!

Old You know what bothers me the most?

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Can I be a "Registered-"?
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 2

Zimonada is spinning in a Cursed Storm
You know what bothers me the most?

I think that throughout these past 6~ months the thing that bothers me the most is that well, it seems like there wasn't really a reason that FORCED them to close it down. And yeah, I know that everyone's been complaining about how Di$ney is only in it for the money, but I've always tried to be optimistic of them and that it was a legitimate reason.

How often do you see games shut down or stop being produced, especially an MMO game that has thousands of players worldwide? It isn't even like it's a console game, where if you buy it, they just stop making it and won't force you to return your copy. The only reasons I can think of offhand for something so well, drastic, to happen would be if:
- The game is outclassed by something much better and more successful (i.e. VMK vs. CP, PotCO, etc.)
- The gaming community is moving on to bigger and better ideas (i.e. new consoles, different ideas, etc.)
- The game just wasn't appealing to any audience and was not running as planned (i.e. aimed towards little children but no age groups loved it)
- Something that causes the game's community to deteriorate (i.e. hacker outbreak)

Now, the thing is, VMK wasn't any of the above. It couldn't be outclassed since it was in a league of it's own; there aren't any other games remotely similar to it. It wasn't appealing to one target audience, but it appealed to people of all ages. And we had a fairly stable community up until the news about closure.

So this draws the question, why did VMK truly close? Sure, we're told that it's due to monetary issues, but I can't honestly face Disney, one of the largest companies, and believe that. It's not an issue of they couldn't afford it, it's an issue of they didn't want to afford it. It's not as if VMK was breaking the Disney bank. If anything, it would increase their revenue, causing those people who played VMK to eventually want to go to Disneyworld for real (hypothetically).

If it's an issue of they didn't want to afford the cost of VMK, then that's a really selfish decision on their part. I think it would be fantastic if VMK returned, but I don't think I'd play if it's being reopened by those same selfish minds. Maybe if someone else was in power, sure, but as of now, I'll have to pass.

That's all for now. Hope to see you guys again sometime over the holidays.

- Zim

All credit goes to Ammie!
Old 12-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Cheese Owns
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

toontoony is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Im 100% On Your Side, But maby, Disney will learn. Alot of people win at the end - But normaly takes about 3 - 10 years.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Gone - Where I Am.
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Award Smilie Story: The Beach Participant Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Patriot 2009 Award VMK Memories Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Caption Contest Participant Happy Valentine's 
Total Awards: 10

My Mood: Adventurous
ElephantEthan is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Duisney wasn't in it for the money, they needed money. Our economical crisis started around late May-ish. Same time that VMK closed.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:23 PM
WWTBAM Fan!
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2010 Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award VMK Memories Award 2010 Crossword Puzzle Participant's Award Happy Holidays'09 Award Which Disney Character Participant's Award Golden Years Award 
Total Awards: 13

My Mood: SaveVMK
DocCalvin is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I always thought they couldn't be bothered to keep it going!
Old 12-07-2008, 01:32 AM
Thanks To All!
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Happy Valentine's Joy To The World Smile For Entering Award 
Total Awards: 4

My Mood: Bahahaha
Nickpf is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I understand why they closed it. It just simply wasn't making money. The economical crisis started last year.

Thanks Friez for the awesome sig and buttons of doom!!!
Old 12-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Deal with it!
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Graphics Trio Award 
Total Awards: 23

Born In Park
My Mood: Evil
EtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with Confetti
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElephantEthan View Post
Duisney wasn't in it for the money, they needed money. Our economical crisis started around late May-ish. Same time that VMK closed.
If I have to hear one more thing about the stupid economical crisis I'll... Sorry I just get so tired of hearing about it every where I go, everyone knows about it, we don't need to be talking about it every second of the day and scaring children...

Well think about this logically the economical crisis started way before May. The last few years my computer applications teacher has been checking the stocks of many major companies and they have been falling drasticly. Disney was stupid and purchased club penguin for a ridiculous amount of money when they knew we were in a economic crisis. One main reason, why I think it closed was that a several months before vmk closed Disney had a meeting trying to figure out how to get more money out of their online games. I am guessing that closing vmk won out in the end.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Uh..I forgot..
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2010 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 2

Chululli is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I say the economical crisis is tearing everything up 0.o
Old 12-07-2008, 07:22 PM
*WhenYouWishUponAStar*
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Caption Contest Participant Happy Valentine's Graphics Trio Participant Award Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 6

My Mood: Contented
funny_ryry is spinning in a Cursed Storm
The only reason I can think of, besides the stuff about the economical crisis, would be that Di$ney wasn't getting as many people in the parks as they wanted and wasn't making any money off the game. Instead they directed their attention on Cars online and Pixie Hallow online to advertise The Tinkerbelle movie and the upcoming Cars 2.

I'm interested to see how long they plan to have Pirates Online once the whole Pirate phase is over.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Masked Cowboy
Awards Showcase
St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Epitaph Winner's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 
Total Awards: 49

VIP
My Mood: Happy
SoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing Inferno
My theory is quite simple: VMK was a free game, there was no way to accurately track its financial success (it made Disney money indirectly), therefore incompetent Disney executives chose to close it down and replace it with multiple online games that cost to play by the month.

These new games all had different pieces of the puzzle that together would make VMK. Following a quantity over quality model, I suppose it made more sense to have (making up numbers here) 3 average online games making $10.00 per month per player that were all covering different audiences than to have 1 ultimate online game serving as an advertisement for the parks that would appeal to virtually everyone (no pun intended).

Basically, in my opinion, Disney ignored VMK's potential for a new model that would definitely rake enough funds in. "The boys will play with cars and pirates and the girls will play with fairies. Problem solved!"

Play trivia at #vmktrivia to win a purple scrolly!
Old 12-07-2008, 09:19 PM
WWTBAM Fan!
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2010 Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award VMK Memories Award 2010 Crossword Puzzle Participant's Award Happy Holidays'09 Award Which Disney Character Participant's Award Golden Years Award 

I never thought this stock market crash would inconvenience Disney..
Old 12-07-2008, 11:20 PM
VMK_Lion's #1 Fan!
Awards Showcase
Talk Like A Pirate Day 2011 Halloween'11 Award Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 
Total Awards: 50

MLKnCookies has turned into a sparkling Pirate!MLKnCookies has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
I agree 100%.

"It was all a promotion" is just something to cover up the real reason they closed. So if it was a promotion that lasted longer than they expected, they could have made it last even longer!
Old 12-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Masked Cowboy
Awards Showcase
St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Epitaph Winner's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 
Total Awards: 49

VIP
SoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing Inferno
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLKnCookies View Post
I agree 100%.

"It was all a promotion" is just something to cover up the real reason they closed. So if it was a promotion that lasted longer than they expected, they could have made it last even longer!
Yeah, exactly! If it was just a promotion, why did you continue it? And if you continued it because it was doing well, why did you close it down?

Play trivia at #vmktrivia to win a purple scrolly!
Old 12-08-2008, 09:30 PM
WWTBAM Fan!
Awards Showcase

Stupid stock market crash!
Old 12-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Courageous
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Guess the Picture Winner's Award Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 7

Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: MadHat
Brer_Nick is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Disney's a vampire, and not in the sparkling love you forever way. All they care about anymore is money. It doesn't matter how rich they are, they'll never be rich enough. That is why Disney is evil and corrupt. All in all I love Disney but that was it originally. Now Disney is truly pure evil and that is really hard to do. All their marketing ploys and adds for a chance at living your "dream" by staying in the castle or whatever but really they only pick one of the thousands of families there once every week or so and now they're not doing that anymore. And it was all to lure customers to Disneyland. They're cheap and corrupt. It also explains their lack of good movies nowadays. They're afraid to take risks which makes them release generic movies and sequels that are forced to make money, but are not actually good movies. There will never be another Snow White, Fantasia, Cinderella, or anything really with the way Disney is set-up. And what really bothers me about this is that people think Disney and Pixar are the same thing so all the great things Pixar has done is credited to Disney which is wrong.

I don't know. Maybe I'm only saying this because I'm bored.

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, shining at the end of every day. There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, just a Dream away...
Old 12-08-2008, 10:26 PM
You've got a friend in me
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Winners Award Caption Contest Participant Happy Valentine's Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 8

My Mood: LiveChat
fantasyforever is as Frosty as a Snowman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimonada View Post
So this draws the question, why did VMK truly close? Sure, we're told that it's due to monetary issues, but I can't honestly face Disney, one of the largest companies, and believe that. It's not an issue of they couldn't afford it, it's an issue of they didn't want to afford it. It's not as if VMK was breaking the Disney bank. If anything, it would increase their revenue, causing those people who played VMK to eventually want to go to Disneyworld for real (hypothetically).
>.> VMK was a promotion
promotions don't last forever. It was a promotion for the Year of a Million dreams celebration (Or someting else). That celebration lasted several years, and so did VMK.
Stop trying to make it 'oh it's a cover up!!' 'Disney is sooo corrupt I hate them'
blah, blah, yadda yadda, blah bleh blah
VMK was a really good promotion
Things don't last forever guys.
I LOVE Disney and forever will
Its your loss if you think they are corrupt.
'Di$ney this Di$ney that'
Thats all i ever hear now >.>
Face the truth
It was a promotion, and promotions never ever last forever
nothing lasts forever
The truth may hurt
But its the truth

* fantasykid throws his two cents then walks away