Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > Project: SAVE VMK! > Project: SAVE VMK! Archive

Project: SAVE VMK! Archive Archive forum for Project: SAVE VMK!

Old A beginning, I hope.

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:11 AM
Noise amongst the static
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Signature Donation Award 
Total Awards: 3

My Mood: SaveVMK
LordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying around
A beginning, I hope.

As many of you know, it's my personal belief that the fight for VMK is impossible to win unless we network with the Save VMK teams at other fansites and unite under a common banner.

Those of you that've heard me say this probably also have heard me speak of a particularly troublesome fansite (Which, out of respect for both their forum and the forum rules here, I shall not name) where the ratio of Save VMK'ers to those that actively try to put down Save VMK'ers is approximately one to eighty bajillion.

I just posted this over there. Hopefully it'll stir things up a tad.

Quote:
If [Unnamed fansite] is your only base of operations at the moment, I'm greatly afraid you've set up camp at the wrong time and the wrong place.

Don't get me wrong. I don't mean to deter anyone away from these otherwise great forums, but the majority of the community here obviously treats the idea of renewing the game that started these forums as folly.

I don't mean to sound discouraging, but... The way I see it, the fight to get VMK back was, is, and always will be, a game about strength in numbers (pun not intended, of course). Disney, as we all know, is one of the world's largest corporations. As such, many of the people here have felt insignificant in their efforts against it's mistake (If they even bothered to make effort against it at all), and have quit and want you to do the same. However, keep in mind that Disney is just that: A corporation. And you are their target audience. As a corporation, it is Disney's legal obligation to make decisions they believe will rake in the most money for them.

The reason why they've ignored us for so long? There's not enough of you going at it. VMK was most likely closed because cost for maintenance became greater than the estimated amount of income that it brought in. (I say "estimated income," of course, because Disney refused to let VMK see it's full potential as a standalone game with it's own easily visible flow of money, and instead ran only as an advertisement. Another mistake on Disney's part, but that's an explanation for another call to arms.) However, if Disney sees enough demand for VMK's return, there's a great chance that it may begin to consider bringing the game back. But right now, the Save VMK movement is scattered into a bunch of tiny groups across multiple fansites. We need to regroup and recruit.

Now, one may think "Now, Illy, when VMK first closed, we had hundreds and hundreds of people going at it!" Yes. You're right. Hundreds. Hundreds of people out of VMK's estimated player base of, what? Several tens of thousands? I'm not saying you're going to need that many to get it back, but if you really want it, you're going to need three things: More of the old players who want it back, a bit of new blood to show that, even after death, it has the potential to grow, and a bit of cooperation with the other outposts out there.

To summarize... Defending this position is a lost cause. However, I'm not asking you to abandon it, as every person we can bring to our cause here is just getting us that much closer. Instead, I'm suggesting you all to expand your presence to the other fansites and help network whatever's left of the squad. You'll also need to get some of those previously unexposed to our little world out into the field as well. I'll advise from there if and when I ever see this happen.

Finally, excuse me for the abundance of military metaphors. I could not resist.

I will walk heavy, and I will walk strange.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:51 AM
Anyone can believe.
Awards Showcase
Halloween'11 Award 2010 Holiday Award Make A Wish Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Trivia Winner Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award Golden Years Award 
Total Awards: 15

My Mood: Amuzed
acefredfred ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureacefredfred ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureacefredfred ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureacefredfred ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureacefredfred ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureacefredfred ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
Hmm... I believe I know which site your talking about.

But I agree..
- ace
Old 07-30-2009, 02:23 AM
Noise amongst the static
Awards Showcase

LordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Quote:
Originally Posted by acefredfred View Post
Hmm... I believe I know which site your talking about.

But I agree..
- ace
I believe you do. :P

Old 07-30-2009, 03:03 AM
disco pogo
Awards Showcase
Make A Wish Award Halloween'10 Award 2010 Holiday Award Epitaph Participant's Award Caption Contest Winner's Award Graphics Trio Award VMK Memories Award 2010 Happy St. Patrick's Day 2010 
Total Awards: 26

Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Surrender
BuzzBoy133 is covered with ConfettiBuzzBoy133 is covered with ConfettiBuzzBoy133 is covered with Confetti
You'll see a post by someone named "defre" on there

Old 07-31-2009, 02:40 AM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
VMK Memories Award 
Total Awards: 1

VIP
ThrillJacob is as Frosty as a Snowman
Well, I posted over there hoping to finally end the pessimism once and for all. Knowing how bad it is over there, it probably won't do much. It was about how Disney changed their minds with Figment, as well as leaving a relatively large plot of land unused in DLR for 9 years before re-opening the subs.

IMO, there were two main reasons VMK was doomed:
1. The constant "Disney said that it was just a promotion and will never open again. So good luck wasting your time."
2. VFK making people happy and taking them away from the Save VMK movement.

Now, if other forums had some more optimism and VFK stayed on it's schedule, I think we'd probably still have VMK.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:32 AM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Award Which Disney Character Winner Award Spooky Scribe Award Golden Years Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Design a Pin Participation's Award 
Total Awards: 6

Clan Leader Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: vmkpalish
ToBeContinued is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Now...I feel kinda stupid not knowing the site, but I think this might...no not might, WILL work if it ever happens. Remember I said IF! We would have to all join under one website. Meaning someone would have to create the so website and get everyone to join. Meaning a lot of work. It would be complicated, but let's hope for the best.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:37 AM
Noise amongst the static
Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeContinued View Post
Now...I feel kinda stupid not knowing the site, but I think this might...no not might, WILL work if it ever happens. Remember I said IF! We would have to all join under one website. Meaning someone would have to create the so website and get everyone to join. Meaning a lot of work. It would be complicated, but let's hope for the best.
I don't think we need to go as far as that (Although if you can make it happen conveniently, go for it!). A lot of people are rather comfortable on the sites they already frequent, and the least we can do to respect those joining our cause is to make things convenient by not forcing them to join yet another fansite.

Although I say we need to "Network" our outposts, all we really need is to make sure we're all on the same page and all moving in the same direction at once, whether individually or in one mass group. Less like an organization and more like a flock of seagulls. If someone wants to start a mass-mailing to Disney, all we need is to make sure all our outposts are aware of this mailing and working towards making it happen. If someone wants to organize a real world protest, we just need to let our outposts know where and when.

If anyone is familiar with the internet group "Anonymous"... Think that, but a bit more cuddly. :P

...Besides, I think our admins here and on the other fansites would be angry if we all started whisking away their members to some secret Save VMK headquarters hidden in the deepest recesses of the net. :P

Old 07-31-2009, 07:49 AM
Masked Cowboy
Awards Showcase
St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Epitaph Winner's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 
Total Awards: 49

VIP
My Mood: Happy
SoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing Inferno
You've definitely stirred things up over there. People will be browsing through the new posts, you know, through all of the games and off-topic chatter, and all of a sudden whoah!! VMK? I thought that was long gone! Amazing how people can forget what's right up there in the site title.

Already posted there, where it really counts right now, so I'll just say thank you for bringing this back up. I really miss VMK, and we need to convince Disney that deep down inside, their wallet misses it too.

Play trivia at #vmktrivia to win a purple scrolly!