Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > Project: SAVE VMK! > Project: SAVE VMK! Archive

Project: SAVE VMK! Archive Archive forum for Project: SAVE VMK!

Old I65K: The Y2K Parallel that Closed VMK

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:05 AM
Trader
Awards Showcase
Super Sleuth Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 2

My Mood: SaveVMK
StarBP is as Frosty as a Snowman
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude25 View Post
If VMK does come back open, and they switched to a 32 - Bit System, it wouldn't matter. In a few years, this same problem will pop into somebodies head.. soo hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
32-bit systems allow for over 4 billion unique items/textures/sounds/rooms/etc. At this rate, it would take over 200,000 years before VMK needed a new system, assuming the I65K theory is true.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:12 AM
•Dancing through life•
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Expert Relocator Participants Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award Halloween '08 Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 6

Born In Park Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Regal
Kitri has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMK
VMK launched as a part of the Disneyland 50th Celebration and is now closed. Disney.com continues to create experiences to amaze our guests and we hope that all of our VMK friends will continue to join us.

Thank you to the community that made VMK so special. Wait until you see what we're imagining next... :-)
This is a quote from the home page. I don't see it saying it is closed forever, it says it is now closed. Now meaning at the present moment.

Clickie
Thank you SoccerRyan and Pisces for being my math tutors!
Old 08-10-2008, 12:35 AM
Di$$$$$$ney
Awards Showcase
Golden Years Award Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 4

My Mood: BanHappy
Flame Gun is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Very Important Info

Quote from another VMKF Member StarBP:
Quote:
Wasn't there once a staff member who said that VMK closed because they could not make any more items due to memory? If you take the total of all rooms, textures, clothing items, furniture, posters, NPC's, NPC codes, dialog popup boxes, minigame rules, etc., it can easily add up to 65,536; which is the highest number of items allowed for a 16-bit system, since the next number would roll back to 0, which is already taken by the first item. Given this theory, VMK may right now be switching to 32-bit, which would allow over 4 billion items. Obviously, this is something that would be too embarrassing for Disney to say, that a major virtual world was shut down because of an underestimation in the number of total things that would be made.
This is an outstanding observation StarBP well done!

Ok now onto the info:

Remember at the end of VMK, when people kept getting messages like "Out of Memory" then a bunch of numbers, and would have to restart to get back in? That was probably the cause of this. Also take note -

No NEW Items were released after April 15th. They all were never realeased items. VMK probably outstanded the number of items for a 16-Bit System. As StarBP smartly stated, was 65,536.
Which is quite alot, and the # of items in VMK could easily add up to that. A transfer from a sytem can take up to 6 Months. Doing in such would require in the following activites:

Refixturating Color Files to 32-Bit
Refixturating Script Files to Work
Refixturating Texture Details to work with 32-Bit System
Moving Files from one system to another.
Configurating Server Files to work with 32-Bit.

My idea is VMK will not re-open as VMK, but will re-open as something, very alike, but different. While where here, let me tell you a story of another game made by Sulake, (sulake made VMK).

Quote:
In November 2001, Coke Studios was made by Sulake as a promotion for the Coca-Cola Company, the traits were similar to VMK, but revolved around coke and city life. Many items were created. Until Coke Studios announced it was closing in 2005. 6 Months passed until finnally the game came back completely updated and it said welcome to Coke Studios 2.0! Later, the game was then changed to MyCoke. Which later closed in November 2007.
Ironic how they both closed on there Opening Days right before 2009.
Did Sulake do this on purpose? Or was this intentional by the game beholders?

My Theroy:
VMK will come back as a Pay-to-Play game with the returning features of In-Park Questing in Fall/Winter 2008.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:38 AM
June 2nd 05 - May 21st 08
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Smilie Winners Award Joy To The World Smile For Entering Award 

My Mood: Author
coolJamz has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundcoolJamz has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundcoolJamz has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Agreed 100%
Old 08-10-2008, 12:39 AM
Deal with it!
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Graphics Trio Award 
Total Awards: 23

Born In Park
My Mood: Evil
EtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with Confetti
It sounds possible, but I'm not sure if it's true. Out of all of disney's online games don't you think they would update toontown, as old as it is?
Old 08-10-2008, 12:43 AM
Di$$$$$$ney
Awards Showcase
Golden Years Award Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award Joy To The World 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtnaGreen View Post
It sounds possible, but I'm not sure if it's true. Out of all of disney's online games don't you think they would update toontown, as old as it is?
POTC and Toontown Are ran on completely different systems as VMK. POTC and Toontown are 3-D while VMK is 2.5-D and is ran completely differently.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:46 AM
hellokittysurf :)

hellokittysurf is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Wow... this is believable since you have other stuff to support your theory. Unlike people who make things up without something supporting their rumor. Hahaha
Old 08-10-2008, 12:53 AM
i am a sloth.
Awards Showcase
Arcade Winner Xmas Wishlist '09 Golden Years Award Smilie Story: The Beach Winner Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Design a Pin Participation's Award Patriot 2009 Award Expert Relocator Participants Award 
Total Awards: 15

Born In Park
My Mood: PandaExpress
Friez is Buried in TreasureFriez is Buried in TreasureFriez is Buried in Treasure
I got those out-of-memory messages BEFORE April in 08. I got them in 07 and maybe 06. And wasn't VMK Central taken out of Magic Kingdom? I don't think we'll get any In-Park Quests...
Old 08-10-2008, 12:55 AM
is back in reality
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

ozzietropics is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Gun View Post
Quote from another VMKF Member StarBP:

This is an outstanding observation StarBP well done!

Ok now onto the info:

Remember at the end of VMK, when people kept getting messages like "Out of Memory" then a bunch of numbers, and would have to restart to get back in? That was probably the cause of this. Also take note -

No NEW Items were released after April 15th. They all were never realeased items. VMK probably outstanded the number of items for a 16-Bit System. As StarBP smartly stated, was 65,536.
Which is quite alot, and the # of items in VMK could easily add up to that. A transfer from a sytem can take up to 6 Months. Doing in such would require in the following activites:

Refixturating Color Files to 32-Bit
Refixturating Script Files to Work
Refixturating Texture Details to work with 32-Bit System
Moving Files from one system to another.
Configurating Server Files to work with 32-Bit.

My idea is VMK will not re-open as VMK, but will re-open as something, very alike, but different. While where here, let me tell you a story of another game made by Sulake, (sulake made VMK).

My Theroy:
VMK will come back as a Pay-to-Play game with the returning features of In-Park Questing in Fall/Winter 2008.
Don't forget, Disney closed VMK, not Sulake. Whether or not Disney closed VMK for this reason, we'll never know. But remember, Disney has stated that VMK would not re-open.

My prediction is that we'll see some incarnation of it will open in October 2008.

Also remember, Disney continually downgraded their servers until VMK closed. Your information is good, but in my opinion your theory is somewhat baseless. (Coke and Disney are two completely separeate companies.)
Being totally and helplessly wrong...in style.
~~ot
Old 08-10-2008, 12:58 AM
hellokittysurf :)

hellokittysurf is spinning in a Cursed Storm
VMK most likely won't come back but it could come back as another game.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:00 AM
Di$$$$$$ney
Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzietropics View Post
Don't forget, Disney closed VMK, not Sulake. Whether or not Disney closed VMK for this reason, we'll never know. But remember, Disney has stated that VMK would not re-open.

My prediction is that we'll see some incarnation of it will open in October 2008.

Also remember, Disney continually downgraded their servers until VMK closed. Your information is good, but in my opinion your theory is somewhat baseless. (Coke and Disney are two completely separeate companies.)
That whole Coke Studios thing was not anything to do that Coke & Disney Together. Coke Studios was created by Sulake and As was VMK. The strange thing is. They both closed in there birth month, and it was right before 2009.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:17 AM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Happy Holidays'09 Award Golden Years Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award Happy Valentine's Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 8

Born In Park Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Magical
MagicGypsy is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Paul Yanover....Head of Disney.com told me personally to look for a "world" similiar BUT not the same in "about 2 years".....centered around WDW.....
So...your theory has some merit in my mind....
They would be "dumbo" to not use the graphics and parts of VMK they DO OWN and left behind from SULAKE.....to make into some sort of "DISNEY" world.....
It will NEVER be the same...but visually it would be magical to have a world back of Disney.....
Sulake has the 'exclusive' Paramount deal...maybe that was why Coke deal ended..
and WHY IF sulake can make a nice game like vmk....do they make Habbo hotel??
So..ugly... and NOT FUN...
Old 08-10-2008, 02:26 AM
Trader
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Award Patriot 2010 Award Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award Halloween '09 Award Patriot 2009 Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Participants Award 
Total Awards: 11

Born In Park
My Mood: Baffled
awsomered is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
I don't understand what you are saying here.
I really like your thinking. You can really back it up.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:34 AM
hmmm! (:
Awards Showcase
St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Trivia Winner Patriot 2010 Award Trivia Winner Happy Valentine's Day Trivia Winner Happy Holidays'09 Award 
Total Awards: 20

My Mood: Woah
Pink_Bink is covered with ConfettiPink_Bink is covered with ConfettiPink_Bink is covered with Confetti
Hmm.
I like how you think
You've gotten your proof. :]
I could believe this.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:35 AM
Starbucks = LOVE!
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World Smile For Entering Award Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 3

My Mood: Snow!
ParamoreGal is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Awesome observation, to true!