Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Other Games > Other G Rated Games > Other Games Archive

Other Games Archive Other Games Archive

Old Opinions on Maplestory?

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:39 PM
blehh♥♥
Awards Showcase
Halloween'10 Award Spooky Scribe Award Golden Years Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Design a Pin Participation's Award Patriot 2009 Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Caption Contest Winner 
Total Awards: 12

My Mood: Baffled
xoop is covered with Confettixoop is covered with Confettixoop is covered with Confetti
Opinions on Maplestory?

Hi
So now that VMK is closed I'm looking for something else to play. I've gotten word that Maplestory is okay; but my question is for you readers:
Is Maplestory appropriate?
and...
What's your opinion on it?

I need a game that is appropriate.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Hello, Love ★
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 3

My Mood: AFK
Thriller is as Frosty as a Snowman
MapleStory is not appropriate - there are virtual marriages supported by the game's staff, other than that the violence is just cartoon.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:09 PM
Monorail Mixer
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

BlazinBeats is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I've heard about the virtual marriages, it's pretty bad. I guess violence is not my thing, but from what I've heard, it's ok if you're into that kind of stuff.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:38 PM
is in <3!

FOREVER is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I don't play Maplestory, but all I know is that it's 13+.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:03 PM
BUNNIES.
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

AstroAcer is spinning in a Cursed Storm
The violence is nothing, really. No blood or gore. There is some suggestive content in it as well as swearing (the swearing is mild). The worst part is that there are in-game marriages that are part of the game. Very weird...

Appropriate? Maybe, if you're mature enough.
My opinion? One of the most boring games I've ever played. The graphics are great, though.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:13 PM
blehh♥♥
Awards Showcase
Halloween'10 Award Spooky Scribe Award Golden Years Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Design a Pin Participation's Award Patriot 2009 Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Caption Contest Winner 
Total Awards: 12

My Mood: Baffled
xoop is covered with Confettixoop is covered with Confettixoop is covered with Confetti
Thanks for all the opinions
I think I won't play it; first of all I'm not into violence and--Marriages? Nuh-uh. I'm a kid. Heh.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:20 PM
wants Elle B. to return
Awards Showcase
Trivia Winner Happy Holidays'09 Award Xmas Wishlist '09 Halloween '09 Award Trivia Winner VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Design a Pin Participation's Award Patriot 2009 Award 
Total Awards: 10

My Mood: Villany
the_phoenix has turned into a sparkling Pirate!the_phoenix has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
I wouldn't play it - there is no dictionary there and you can say ANYTHING.

All credit goes to GG and her awesome siggy-making powers.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:25 PM
I iz lazy.
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Award Spooky Scribe Award Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 7

My Mood: Insomnious
Blossomflower is Buried in TreasureBlossomflower is Buried in TreasureBlossomflower is Buried in Treasure
well ya like the posts say above... it's not really appropriate, there's suggestive stuff, it's like, pg-13 LOL

it doesn't let you cuss though. most of the time. I was like "- takes pic -" and it said "CURSING IS NOT ALLOWED" LOL

Ya, virtual marriages, and a lot of rowdy people.

Not for kids under 13, i'd say.
LOL

it doesn't let you say just ANYTHING, the_phoenix...
won't let you say some stuff that it thinks means something bad.
But people can still cuss if they can go around the block, like vmk..

I ignore the rowdy people and the marriages though... you don't HAVE to get married o_o

ya, the violence is nothing, all it is is a 2-d cartoon swinging his cartoon sword.
LOL

Old 05-27-2008, 10:30 PM
Can I be a "Registered-"?
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 2

Zimonada is spinning in a Cursed Storm
IMHO, it depends on your level of maturity.

If you're smart enough to realize that people will say well.. inappropriate things to you and smart enough to not sink to their level, then you're ok. Same rule of thumb goes for virtual marriages; if you're marrying your real life husband/wife it's one thing, but don't go around marrying a stranger. That could very easily be a "child predator" you're marrying. And besides that, I hear of many people marrying just to get their "spouse" to buy things for them. Golddiggers ;D

Violence-wise, it's about as violent as the Coyote falling down the canyon after chasing the Roadrunner ;D

NOTE: From my experience the Global version of MapleStory is much worse. More swearing, scamming, hacking, etc. If you were to play, I'd suggest the SEA (South East Asian) version. Much better community; just a little bit of a language barrier ;D

All credit goes to Ammie!
Old 05-27-2008, 10:41 PM
I iz lazy.
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Award Spooky Scribe Award Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award 

Blossomflower is Buried in TreasureBlossomflower is Buried in TreasureBlossomflower is Buried in Treasure
I agree with zimon on the "if ur smart enuf to realize that ppl will say...... and smart enough to not sink to their level, then you're ok" LOL

Just cuz they're bad doesn't mean you hafta be. It's like VMK, i c wild people there everyday LOL

and yep. it's like a tom and jerry cartoon really.
LOL

never tried the south east asian place..
only north america.
so idk whats it like there
LOL

Old 05-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Awards Showcase

LOL.

Well, I prefer SEA, even though I'm not from there. That's just the first version I started when my friends played with me

It's the exact same game, we just have a couple differences. Like you guys have NLC, and we have um.. something you don't. I've lost track really.

But generally, people on MapleStory forums who play Global are always mad at MSEA'ers because they think we get it so much better. We generally get things before you guys do.

Overall summary in comparison:

MapleGlobal:

- Generally more crowded
- Generally more "immature"
- If you live in US or Canada, you can actually go to a store to get points to buy things from the Cash Shop
- More hackers, scammers, rude people
- More servers
- More lag ;D

MapleSEA:

- Generally less crowded
- Generally more mature (might just be since you can't understand everything they say ;D)
- You can't get Cash Shop things, unless you use PayPal
- Less hackers, scammers, rude people
- Less servers
- Less lag
- Slight language barrier (people there speak "Singlish", kind of a cross between English and whatever the Singapore language is.. but people have actually made guides translating common phrases ;D)

Old 05-27-2008, 10:54 PM
I iz lazy.
Awards Showcase

:O.
interesting
LOL
what's.. NLC?

do u mean NPC? LOL

Old 05-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Awards Showcase

New Leaf City ;D

I can't think of what we have that you don't..
Well, we've got the new Maple Weapons.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:28 AM
Divide by 0
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

My Mood: Tolerant
FoolsLove is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I'm going to have to disagree with uh.. every single post above me.

The only violence in this game is as said, cartoony. You could compare the violence in this game to Toontown. MapleStory has their rules, but just like ANY other game out there, where there are rules, there will be rule breakers. Which is why the_phoenix said "you can say anything." Which actually, is not true. They have a very huge filter in place. Which people bypass, and when it is bypassed, they often get warnings, even suspensions for doing so. As for marriages, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. You're not pressured into doing so, it's an optional thing. If/when you get married in game you get TONS of special features that you can only get when married.

I am not going to deny that the Global MapleStory community fails, and fails miserably. That's indeed the reason I myself quit, but within that community you can always find a nice group of friends that'll always make it worth while to live through. And if you can't find one yourself, you can always find one here.

The game itself is actually very creative and fun. It may only be 2D side-scrolling but it's graphics are amazing IMO. Though just like every single MMORPG out there, you will not last long in the game if you do not read up and have patience. This is a grinder, which will take up time. Yes, it is indeed boring, but training is not the only thing you do in this game. There are many fun things to do in it now, and many new ways are invented all the time. You just have to be a bit creative.

Sig made by Fairy
Old 05-28-2008, 05:34 AM
I iz lazy.
Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolsLove View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with uh.. every single post above me.

The only violence in this game is as said, cartoony. You could compare the violence in this game to Toontown. MapleStory has their rules, but just like ANY other game out there, where there are rules, there will be rule breakers. Which is why the_phoenix said "you can say anything." Which actually, is not true. They have a very huge filter in place. Which people bypass, and when it is bypassed, they often get warnings, even suspensions for doing so. As for marriages, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. You're not pressured into doing so, it's an optional thing. If/when you get married in game you get TONS of special features that you can only get when married.
Technically, you didn't disagree with every post, cuz my post said what you said LOL

ya, the violence is cartoony, maplestory has their rules, and people break it, just like they do in vmk anyway... and yeah, they have a filter, which i also mentioned above, and people go over it anyway, like vmk.
LOL

so you didn't disagree with mine XD

(cept with probably when i said it was a pg-13 content that's not really appropriate cuz of the marriage thing and more rowdy ppl [than vmk] but.. ya.) LOL