Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > Project: SAVE VMK! > Project: SAVE VMK! Archive

Project: SAVE VMK! Archive Archive forum for Project: SAVE VMK!

Old I65K: The Y2K Parallel that Closed VMK

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Trader
Awards Showcase
Super Sleuth Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 2

My Mood: SaveVMK
StarBP is as Frosty as a Snowman
I65K: The Y2K Parallel that Closed VMK

Wasn't there once a staff member who said that VMK closed because they could not make any more items due to memory? If you take the total of all rooms, textures, clothing items, furniture, posters, NPC's, NPC codes, dialog popup boxes, minigame rules, etc., it can easily add up to 65,536; which is the highest number of items allowed for a 16-bit system, since the next number would roll back to 0, which is already taken by the first item. Given this theory, VMK may right now be switching to 32-bit, which would allow over 4 billion items. Obviously, this is something that would be too embarrassing for Disney to say, that a major virtual world was shut down because of an underestimation in the number of total things that would be made.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:20 PM
•Dancing through life•
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Expert Relocator Participants Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award Halloween '08 Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 6

Born In Park Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Regal
Kitri has disabled reputation
That's a very good point. But I would have prefered it if disney just said VMK will be down for a while rather than just scaring us like they did.

Clickie
Thank you SoccerRyan and Pisces for being my math tutors!
Old 08-06-2008, 09:23 PM
i am a sloth.
Awards Showcase
Arcade Winner Xmas Wishlist '09 Golden Years Award Smilie Story: The Beach Winner Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Design a Pin Participation's Award Patriot 2009 Award Expert Relocator Participants Award 
Total Awards: 15

Born In Park
My Mood: PandaExpress
Friez is Buried in TreasureFriez is Buried in TreasureFriez is Buried in Treasure
This sounds very likely. Not that I don't believe you or anything, but how did you figure that out? It seems like a lot of Math...
Old 08-06-2008, 09:24 PM
disco pogo
Awards Showcase
Make A Wish Award Halloween'10 Award 2010 Holiday Award Epitaph Participant's Award Caption Contest Winner's Award Graphics Trio Award VMK Memories Award 2010 Happy St. Patrick's Day 2010 
Total Awards: 26

Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Surrender
BuzzBoy133 is covered with ConfettiBuzzBoy133 is covered with ConfettiBuzzBoy133 is covered with Confetti
I think your right! And they swiched it over a period of months to the new 32-bit system. Now after they finished, they can re-open it! The vmk in october room is getting more proof that its real! And we can keep our avatars!

Old 08-06-2008, 09:27 PM
wants Elle B. to return
Awards Showcase
Trivia Winner Happy Holidays'09 Award Xmas Wishlist '09 Halloween '09 Award Trivia Winner VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Design a Pin Participation's Award Patriot 2009 Award 
Total Awards: 10

My Mood: Villany
the_phoenix has turned into a sparkling Pirate!the_phoenix has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
Sounds likely...Disney usually doesn't admit when they've made a mistake.

All credit goes to GG and her awesome siggy-making powers.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Trader
Awards Showcase
Super Sleuth Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 2

StarBP is as Frosty as a Snowman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friez View Post
This sounds very likely. Not that I don't believe you or anything, but how did you figure that out? It seems like a lot of Math...
I remembered someone else who had posted about HOST_Lily (it may have been Hula or someone else, but let's just say it was Lily) saying that if VMK stayed on, there would be no new items due to memory issues. I figured out the rest based on my knowledge of computers. The number probably doesn't really add up to 65,536; but this is a theory anyway.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:40 PM
disco pogo
Awards Showcase
Make A Wish Award Halloween'10 Award 2010 Holiday Award Epitaph Participant's Award Caption Contest Winner's Award Graphics Trio Award VMK Memories Award 2010 Happy St. Patrick's Day 2010 

Here Since Day 1 VIP
BuzzBoy133 is covered with ConfettiBuzzBoy133 is covered with ConfettiBuzzBoy133 is covered with Confetti
Cool. I hope your right!

Old 08-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Trader
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Award Patriot 2010 Award Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award Halloween '09 Award Patriot 2009 Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Participants Award 
Total Awards: 11

Born In Park
My Mood: Baffled
awsomered is spinning in a Cursed Storm
It sounds about right So maybe they had to clear out a lot of things in the game. Probably this happened because they never thought this game would become so popular.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:43 PM
disco pogo
Awards Showcase

Here Since Day 1 VIP
Yeah, I mean, they only thought it would be open for 16-18 months!

Old 08-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Noise amongst the static
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Signature Donation Award 
Total Awards: 3

LordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_phoenix View Post
Sounds likely...Disney usually doesn't admit when they've made a mistake.
Hehheh. Which, in turn, was a big mistake in itself XD

As for the idea of VMK's closure being a stall tactic to upgrade their systems... I dunno. While, on paper, it sounds pretty plausible... Disney's better at PR'ing things up like that. Why would they say "We're shutting it down and you'll never see it again! " instead of "Oh, we're taking things offline for a bit so it'll be new and improved!"?

I will walk heavy, and I will walk strange.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:28 PM
You've got a friend in me
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Winners Award Caption Contest Participant Happy Valentine's Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 8

My Mood: LiveChat
fantasyforever is as Frosty as a Snowman
Wow. That is very good. Nice job in spotting that!
Old 08-07-2008, 12:00 AM
June 2nd 05 - May 21st 08
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Smilie Winners Award Joy To The World Smile For Entering Award 
Total Awards: 4

My Mood: Author
coolJamz has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundcoolJamz has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundcoolJamz has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Great job finding that!!!
As much as i hope its true, why did they say that VMK is closing forever?
why not say "VMK is closing for major repairs"
Old 08-07-2008, 12:34 AM
Too lazy to post
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award Crossword Puzzle Participant's Award Happy St. Patrick's Day 2010 Your Favorite Attraction Award Happy Valentine's Day 
Total Awards: 24

My Mood: Busy
Pisces has turned into a sparkling Pirate!Pisces has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
Hmm... It IS possible, but I think that it's a bit unlikely and we're all just trying to think of excuses and reasons why VMK closed and is going to open up again. A flaw with this is that you said they hate to admit mistakes, well by closing it, then reopening it, wouldn't they have to have a reason? Which would mean it was a mistake to close it, right? I'm hopeful, but I'm finding any ideas having to do with Disney having planned to close and reopen VMK unlikely
Old 08-07-2008, 01:12 AM
Deal with it!
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Graphics Trio Award 
Total Awards: 23

Born In Park
My Mood: Evil
EtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with Confetti
It sounds possible,but..I don't know why would they say that vmk would be closing their gates for the last time in May. Maybe the new and improved vmk will be open 24/7 to work with the different time zones? I don't know I don't think it's the real reason as much as I would love to belive it.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:19 AM
I iz lazy.
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Award Spooky Scribe Award Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 7

My Mood: Insomnious
Blossomflower is Buried in TreasureBlossomflower is Buried in TreasureBlossomflower is Buried in Treasure
Meh, could be possible, but yeah, why would they make it all dramatic and say vmk would be closing its virtual gates forever? They could just say they're temporarily shutting it down, and not crush people's hearts/freak everybody out....

I hope it's true though...
I WANTZ VMK BACK