Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > Project: SAVE VMK! > Project: SAVE VMK! Archive

Project: SAVE VMK! Archive Archive forum for Project: SAVE VMK!

Old Reasons why VMK Closed

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:39 PM
Rocking Out
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

My Mood: VMKForumsAddict
LilPunkGirl ’s Invisible pin is 5* - Spooky!
As far as number two goes: I find that one unlikely. If I'm not mistaken, Pixie Hollow has male characters. And Cars appeals to both genders. And they could have just deleted the word taken, if it was so vital. They did the same with wed, didn't they?
Old 01-02-2009, 01:58 AM
Deal with it!
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Graphics Trio Award 
Total Awards: 23

Born In Park
My Mood: Evil
EtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with Confetti
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilPunkGirl View Post
As far as number two goes: I find that one unlikely. If I'm not mistaken, Pixie Hollow has male characters. And Cars appeals to both genders. And they could have just deleted the word taken, if it was so vital. They did the same with wed, didn't they?
Yes, but then they said other things such as "Will you carry me?" or my personal favorite "Will you MerryChristmas me?". The kids on vmk cracked me up. Although, vmk sort of encouraged it. They had gloved and gloving in the vmk dictionary. What exactly is gloved and gloving?
Old 01-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Rocking Out
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

My Mood: VMKForumsAddict
LilPunkGirl ’s Invisible pin is 5* - Spooky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtnaGreen View Post
Yes, but then they said other things such as "Will you carry me?" or my personal favorite "Will you MerryChristmas me?". The kids on vmk cracked me up. Although, vmk sort of encouraged it. They had gloved and gloving in the vmk dictionary. What exactly is gloved and gloving?

That first part made me laugh.

And yeah, they could have cracked down on it more.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
Caption Contest Participant 

My Mood: VMK
GreatGreenWizard is spinning in a Cursed Storm
#2 makes very little sense. Club Penguin has taken and they haven't closed that yet have they? And why just taken why baby was a pretty big problem too. #1 make the most sense to me. But money should be no object to Disney, the company that was started to make people smile and make them happy.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:17 AM
Registered+

Born In Park
My Mood: SaveVMK
startori is spinning in a Cursed Storm
my sister was at disneyworld not that long ago and asked someone wny vmk closed and they said because it was only going to last one year but lasted longer
Old 08-11-2009, 02:24 AM
The Greatest Disney Fan!!
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 2

Rodolfito ’s Invisible pin is 5* - Spooky!
No somebody explained this to me before...

There was a quest on VMK that everyone got frustrated with and started complaining about...eventually somebody big in the Disney company got a hold of some of these complaints and decided since the conditions were right they could just end the game. Disney saw it like this..."If its free and it is causing problems get rid of it." VMK actually had plans to renew all contracts and continue operating for years to come its just that they got a call from the Disney company and that was when they had to give the dreadful news that they could not fund this project any longer.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:55 AM
Noise amongst the static
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Signature Donation Award 
Total Awards: 3

LordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodolfito View Post

There was a quest on VMK that everyone got frustrated with and started complaining about...eventually somebody big in the Disney company got a hold of some of these complaints and decided since the conditions were right they could just end the game. Disney saw it like this..."If its free and it is causing problems get rid of it." VMK actually had plans to renew all contracts and continue operating for years to come its just that they got a call from the Disney company and that was when they had to give the dreadful news that they could not fund this project any longer.
Source, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by startori View Post
my sister was at disneyworld not that long ago and asked someone wny vmk closed and they said because it was only going to last one year but lasted longer
I believe this was common knowledge. Doesn't necessarily contribute to a good reason for VMK to close, though

I will walk heavy, and I will walk strange.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:05 AM
Red Flips Rule!
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award Halloween'10 Award 2010 Holiday Award Carol Parody Winner's Award Epitaph Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 39

VIP
My Mood: RedFlips
StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodolfito View Post

This is far from the truth in my opinion. They wouldn't close a popular game due to just one complaint. If that was so, the Disney parks would have closed millions of times.

Oh and by the way - I'd guess if they did actually get a complaint, it would be for the giant Captain Blackheart quest - which was just a few days before the closure was announced. Highly unlikely.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:31 AM
up the irons \m/
Awards Showcase
VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award 

My Mood: Evil
dabaseballking ’s Invisible pin is 5* - Spooky!
I really agree to numero uno , most of all.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:25 AM
The Greatest Disney Fan!!
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 2

Rodolfito ’s Invisible pin is 5* - Spooky!
Source:
Friend who works with Disney and heard that rumor after I told him the game actually exsisted :P

In response to a comment above:

Regardless of the complaints the Parks still make tooonns of profits tons and tons....VMK on the other hand made no direct profit and had nothing to give but complaints from players who got to someone high in the company...If I recall correctly many people did make phone calls and sent e-mails talking about Disney being unethical because of this quest....
Old 08-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Aug 2005-May 21, 2008
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Award Halloween'11 Award EKB Day Award Make A Wish Award Happy Valentine's Day 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Patriot 2010 Award 
Total Awards: 13

My Mood: Fluffy
Miketic is floating through Inner Space
Well, i agree with those posted but according to my resorces...

When VMK kept going, they notice that the game has been attracting more teen players instead of kids playing. So instead they thought of different games where it were more kid friendly (Cars, Pixie Hollow). Then when Club Penguin came out, it became a bigger success than VMK (since of its huge community, kid friendly theme, advertisements on Disney Channel, and its own DS game). Since critics rate those games were aimed towards the kids, Disney wanted to keep its reputation on entertaining the little ones, and closed VMK since it was mixed of people between the ages of anywhere from 16 or under.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:09 AM
Thanks To Friends
Awards Showcase
Super Donation Award Happy Valentine's Day VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Design a Pin Winner's Award Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Super Donation Award Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 8

Born In Park VIP
mrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
The bottom line was a separate entity that now controls Disney Online has a narrow and specific vision of online games being directly related to copyrighted Disney franchises.
If it doesn't follow a specific Disney property that is easily marketed, It has no place in the current idea team.
VMK was originally funded by the parks and the 50th promotional budget.
Like with any company.. When a new management/team, comes aboard, they are over anxious to make a name for themselves and create an environment that they can claim as their own.
Personally I believe the new team never understood, nor considered the potential for VMK.
They were given a directive - Create an online world that ties into current Disney ventures.
Maybe it was bias, maybe just over creative juices to make a name for themselves..
Either way, VMK was overlooked and under appreciated.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:11 PM
Noise amongst the static
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Signature Donation Award 

LordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyth View Post
The bottom line was a separate entity that now controls Disney Online has a narrow and specific vision of online games being directly related to copyrighted Disney franchises.
If it doesn't follow a specific Disney property that is easily marketed, It has no place in the current idea team.
Like with any company.. When a new management/team, comes aboard, they are over anxious to make a name for themselves and create an environment that they can claim as their own.
Personally I believe the new team never understood, nor considered the potential for VMK.
They were given a directive - Create an online world that ties into current Disney ventures.
Maybe it was bias, maybe just over creative juices to make a name for themselves..
Hehheh. Good to hear from you again

I never thought of the "New team trying to create an environment that they can claim as their own" aspect. I can definitely understand that, from a game developer's point of view, it's definitely more liberating to be able to follow your own ideas than having to work on someone else's work, but... They could have very easily put their own personal touch into VMK and made it "their own," too.

I will walk heavy, and I will walk strange.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Here From Day 1
Awards Showcase
2010 Holiday Award Your Favorite Attraction Award Happy Holidays'09 Award Xmas Wishlist '09 
Total Awards: 4

Here Since Day 1
My Mood: Disney
zephr is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyth View Post
Thank you for finally putting into words what I have been trying to tell people for years. There's even a video in which Disney Online Executives say precisely this.

Fortuosity, that's me by-word.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
Guess the Picture Winner's Award Happy Holidays'09 Award Halloween '09 Award Golden Years Award 
Total Awards: 4

starwolf97 is spinning in a Cursed Storm
i agree except for reason 2, it doesnt make much sense to me but i do agree with reason 3 because all of disney's other big internet games require subscriptions for more features now