Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Other > Computer Technical Support > Fixed

Fixed Computer Technical Support archive

Old Please Help Me!

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:18 PM
sugarlandconcert♥
Awards Showcase
Happy St. Patrick's Day 2010 Halloween '09 Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Design a Pin Participation's Award Patriot 2009 Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Participants Award Mod Match Participant 
Total Awards: 15

My Mood: Creative
taylorswiftfan13 has Fireworks shooting off over their headtaylorswiftfan13 has Fireworks shooting off over their headtaylorswiftfan13 has Fireworks shooting off over their headtaylorswiftfan13 has Fireworks shooting off over their headtaylorswiftfan13 has Fireworks shooting off over their head
Please Help Me!

Ok so, I need some help. I was trying to get all of the old pictures off of our very old Windows 98 computer (We now have a Vista, but we kept the 98). They are really cool pictures. I was looking through them. The pictures are of when my sister was like 18 days old! I really wanna transfer them from the 98 to this one, but I've been having problems. So the file burning program I'm using is Nero Express, not the best but we can't download any others because that doesn't have an internet connection. The pictures were a weird file. They were called .mix files. After I finally got it to burn, I inserted it into this computer and it said that it couldn't read it. I tried a bunch of different programs, but none of them worked. Then I thought it was a good idea to change them to a .jpeg file, because then it would probably read it. Well I got the disc burned, and this is what it said when I tried to open it:
Photo Gallery can't open this picture or video. The file format is not supported, or you don't have the latest updates of Photo Gallery.

Is there a different file I can change it to to make it work?

Ugh please help me!!!!

~taylor

Last edited by UpInTheAir; 08-22-2008 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: Personal information
Old 08-22-2008, 02:34 AM
Keep Moving Foward~WaltD.
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Award Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Smile For Entering Award Halloween '08 Participation Award Halloween '08 Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 6

Born In Park Here Since Day 1
My Mood: Dancing
Purplemysterystar is spinning in a Cursed Storm
OMG I would Totally Help you If I Could Maybe its cause the old computer just can't do it idk i am not good with technical stuff sorry i wish i could help so much!!
~Purp's♥
Old 08-22-2008, 02:41 AM
hellokittysurf :)

hellokittysurf is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Can you send it to yourself like through email or something then open the email on your other computer? Sorry if it doesn't work.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:17 AM
sugarlandconcert♥
Awards Showcase
Happy St. Patrick's Day 2010 Halloween '09 Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Design a Pin Participation's Award Patriot 2009 Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Participants Award Mod Match Participant 

taylorswiftfan13 has Fireworks shooting off over their headtaylorswiftfan13 has Fireworks shooting off over their headtaylorswiftfan13 has Fireworks shooting off over their headtaylorswiftfan13 has Fireworks shooting off over their headtaylorswiftfan13 has Fireworks shooting off over their head
I would do that, but we have no internet connection on that comp.

~taylor
Old 08-22-2008, 03:57 AM
°o° Disney Enthusiast
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 4

DizCaptain has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundDizCaptain has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundDizCaptain has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundDizCaptain has turned into a Bat and is flying around
This is a tad costly if you dont have one already, but I suggest using a USB thumb drive and storing the photos on it. It depends on how many photos you have to the storage amount on the thumb drive, although you could follow these steps to using one to transfer files:

-Obtain a thumb drive (Recommended 512 MB at least) from your local staples, office depot, giant, etc. if you dont already have one. They can cost anywhere from 20-60 dollars for a 512 MB-1 GB.
-Insert the drive into any USB port on the older computer.
-Go to "My Computer" usually on the desktop and locate the thumb drive.
-When you have the thumb drive's folder open copy and paste or drag the picture files or the entire picture folder to the thumb drive until there is no space left.
-Remove the thumb drive after all files are copied and put it into the new computer and then if an option menu appears when placed in the computer, simply find the one that says copy to computer or something as that. If not, then locate the thumb drive like before, but instead of opening the folder, right click and rip the files to your computer.
-After all files are on, delete them from your thumb drive and repeat the process until your photos are on the computer.

Good luck, and if you have any questions, pm me or ask on here.

Edit: This may not work depending on your computer though. I consulted with others and there is the possibility the old computer does not have a USB port in which case, post and I will give you another plan.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:57 AM
Too lazy to post
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award Crossword Puzzle Participant's Award Happy St. Patrick's Day 2010 Your Favorite Attraction Award Happy Valentine's Day 
Total Awards: 24

My Mood: Busy
Pisces has turned into a sparkling Pirate!Pisces has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizCaptain View Post
This is a tad costly if you dont have one already, but I suggest using a USB thumb drive and storing the photos on it. It depends on how many photos you have to the storage amount on the thumb drive, although you could follow these steps to using one to transfer files:

-Obtain a thumb drive (Recommended 512 MB at least) from your local staples, office depot, giant, etc. if you dont already have one. They can cost anywhere from 20-60 dollars for a 512 MB-1 GB.
-Insert the drive into any USB port on the older computer.
-Go to "My Computer" usually on the desktop and locate the thumb drive.
-When you have the thumb drive's folder open copy and paste or drag the picture files or the entire picture folder to the thumb drive until there is no space left.
-Remove the thumb drive after all files are copied and put it into the new computer and then if an option menu appears when placed in the computer, simply find the one that says copy to computer or something as that. If not, then locate the thumb drive like before, but instead of opening the folder, right click and rip the files to your computer.
-After all files are on, delete them from your thumb drive and repeat the process until your photos are on the computer.

Good luck, and if you have any questions, pm me or ask on here.

Edit: This may not work depending on your computer though. I consulted with others and there is the possibility the old computer does not have a USB port in which case, post and I will give you another plan.
I was going to recommend a thumb drive before I read the posts, so I agree with this.
From my experience, every computer I've used a fair amount with an OS of Windows 98 or later has had a USB port... The only computers I've used more than a few times that did not have USB ports were running either Windows 95 or an earlier OS

Anyway, i suggest finding a good Thumb Drive and following the instructions already posted
Old 08-22-2008, 01:52 PM
sugarlandconcert♥
Awards Showcase

Ok thanks,

There really aren't that many pictures, like 15. And it isn't that important to spend $20-60 on something that may or may not work.

~taylor
Old 08-22-2008, 02:33 PM
°o° Disney Enthusiast
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 4

DizCaptain has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundDizCaptain has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundDizCaptain has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundDizCaptain has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorswiftfan13 View Post
Ok thanks,

There really aren't that many pictures, like 15. And it isn't that important to spend $20-60 on something that may or may not work.

~taylor
It is possible to get a cheap one, however I recommend a 512 MB so you can use it for other things. I find them useful with many things, especially transferring pictures, music, etc.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:37 PM
♥>>DEFYING.gravityy<<♥
Awards Showcase
2010 Holiday Award Make A Wish Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Participants Award Mod Match Participant 
Total Awards: 18

Born In Park Clan Leader Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Princess
FabMariah has Fireworks shooting off over their headFabMariah has Fireworks shooting off over their headFabMariah has Fireworks shooting off over their headFabMariah has Fireworks shooting off over their head
Actually....

You can get a USB drive at Target for $5

I got a 64 MB, and, it was pink!
Old 08-22-2008, 02:49 PM
sugarlandconcert♥
Awards Showcase

Um...the only thing is, the closest Target it two hours away. We live in a town of less than 3000 people, so we're not gonna have a Target here in town... So if there isn't a way of putting it on a disc, then I guess we won't get the pics.

Oh and of course it was pink Fab!

~taylor
Old 08-22-2008, 02:58 PM
♥>>DEFYING.gravityy<<♥
Awards Showcase
2010 Holiday Award Make A Wish Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Participants Award Mod Match Participant 
Total Awards: 18

Born In Park Clan Leader Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Princess
FabMariah has Fireworks shooting off over their headFabMariah has Fireworks shooting off over their headFabMariah has Fireworks shooting off over their headFabMariah has Fireworks shooting off over their head
You can always order it online
Old 08-22-2008, 03:00 PM
sugarlandconcert♥
Awards Showcase

Yeah, that is a possibility.

If there's any way of getting it on a CD, please pm me,

Mods please close this thread.

~taylor
Old 08-22-2008, 09:54 PM
has Left the Building
Awards Showcase
Happy St. Patrick's Day Caption Contest Participant Happy Valentine's Graphics Trio Winner Award Graphics Trio Participant Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 6

DiamondMeme has Fireworks shooting off over their headDiamondMeme has Fireworks shooting off over their headDiamondMeme has Fireworks shooting off over their headDiamondMeme has Fireworks shooting off over their head
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabMariah View Post
Actually....

You can get a USB drive at Target for $5

I got a 64 MB, and, it was pink!

That doesn't carry much, as it was for $5... I recommend 256 MB... there are a lot like that if you don't really need one. Or you can transfer it to a SD Card. Thats usually for pictures. If you have a camera, you might have one. Any help you need, PM me and I will give my tips on your help! Sometimes I can't get your questions as often by post... So PM me! Remember, I'm Tech Savvy!
Old 08-22-2008, 10:05 PM
.:Remember:.
Awards Showcase
Caption Contest Participant Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 3

Here Since Day 1
My Mood: VMK
cookiefairy is as Frosty as a Snowman
I know this is a tiny bit complex, but why don't you save your pics to a photo upload site, then upload them back on your new computer from the site?

I looked it up for you (I know what it feels like to want to keep computer data and pics!), and there is a 1 gb flash drive on sale at circuit city online for $6.00 (Not advertising at all, simply saying that you can get good deals on flash drives if you know where to look!) Also on flash drives, you can re-use them as much as you need, deleting files from the drive and adding them. So, a $5 drive could benefit you for years.

Good luck!