Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Magic Kingdoms > Magic Kingdoms Archive

Magic Kingdoms Archive Archive forum for Magic Kingdoms

Old Disney vs. Universal

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 06-17-2006, 02:50 PM
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 2

skip has disabled reputation
Disney vs. Universal

I stated in another thread I would post this, so here it is. The place to disagree over which is better, Universal or Disney! Please, let's try to keep this from getting out of hand.

To start things off, I believe that Citywalk is better than Downtown Disney. Citywalk is sleek and compact, while Downtown Disney is bulky and inefficent. Meaning, you have to walk all the way around Pleasure Island JUST to get from the Marketplace to West Side, or vice versa. Plus, bussing and parking is hectic. Citywalk is convenient and is located right next to the parks, plus right outside its border there are two huge parking structures with moving sidewalks that transport you right into the complex. Instead of hectic bussing, Citywalk provides a serene Water Taxi to and from parks, hotels, and Citywalk. I also think Universal has the better restaurants. Downtown Disney has ESPN Zone and Rainforest Cafe, but in my opinion Citywalk's selection is surperior featuring NBA Live, Hard Rock Cafe, Bob Marley's, and a Cheeseburger in Paradise (its exact name escapes me). They also both have a huge cineplex, but that's really a tie there. No real winner. The great thing about Downtown Disney, though, is Disney Quest, the virtual indoor theme park. BUT, they're closing that down and replacing it with a *gasp* unoriginal restaurant, ESPN Zone! Meanwhile, Universal is getting a brand new club and restaurant titled the Red Coconut.

Just my opinion. Argue all you wish.

-skippyskippy
Old 06-17-2006, 02:53 PM
No One Mourns The Wicked

Here Since Day 1
My Mood: AFK
PirateTod is Buried in TreasurePirateTod is Buried in TreasurePirateTod is Buried in Treasure
I Totally Agree 100% Skippy
Old 06-17-2006, 03:01 PM
Awards Showcase

Wow. That's a first. LOL!

-skippyskippy
Old 06-17-2006, 03:02 PM
No One Mourns The Wicked

Here Since Day 1
PirateTod is Buried in TreasurePirateTod is Buried in TreasurePirateTod is Buried in Treasure
I Prefer How Universal Has It Settup lol
Old 06-17-2006, 03:15 PM
WDWCP Hopeful

My Mood: Lurking
levity is spinning in a Cursed Storm
true, very true.

Universal Islands of Adventure has scarier and faster rides, but there are only a few rides there (and way shorter lines!). Disney has slower but fun rides. They both have story lines for their rides which is all it needs to make it a good ride to me. So they are pretty equal. But I live in California, Universal has a total of 5 rides, boring rides you only want to ride once (except the mummy, but thats only 30 seconds long), so Disney easily beats it in California.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:17 PM
No One Mourns The Wicked

Here Since Day 1
Actually I Love Spider Man And Dudley Du rights Rip Saw Falls

I Always Find Something New On The ride Everytime i Go On It
Old 06-17-2006, 03:22 PM
WDWCP Hopeful

My Mood: Lurking
levity is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I loved those, and the hulk, but Dueling Dragons is still the best ride there, Go Ice!!!
Old 06-17-2006, 03:26 PM
Around...

Poseidon ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasurePoseidon ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasurePoseidon ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasurePoseidon ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasurePoseidon ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasurePoseidon ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
I somewhat prefer the Studios part of Universal more than MGM in certain aspects. I'll still always love MGM for RnR and Tower of Terror, but The Mummy, Jaws, ET, etc...They're actually based off of movies, and MGM's turned into a Music/Movies/TV park now. And yes, I like CityWalk much more than Downtown Disney because it's easier to navigate, and it's got one of my favorite restauraunts in the world (Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville)!

On the other hand, while I agree certain parks are better in some aspects, I'd say Disney is better in total for having 4 parks, great hotels (Although Universal has amazing hotels too... Hard Rock Hotel! ), very friendly service, convenient transportation, some amazing rides like Mission: SPACE, Test Track, Space Mountain, RnR, TOT, etc...So, in all, I'd have to go with Disney, but Universal DOES beat Disney in my own opinion in certain aspects.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:31 PM
New Person

Wildcat is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Universal is quite nicer than Disney, what with their transportations and Universal Express Passes. If you stay at a hotel on site, you get free Express Passes, which also act as your roomkey. It is more convient than Disney, since Disney's Parks are scattered throughout that area. I'll give Universal all that, but Disney has more rides, not exactly for the older children, but they have some rides. They are almost equal in my opinion, and I still love them both!
Old 06-17-2006, 03:45 PM
Emiloo on VMK!!!

swimmingemma49 is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyskippy
The great thing about Downtown Disney, though, is Disney Quest, the virtual indoor theme park. BUT, they're closing that down and replacing it with a *gasp* unoriginal restaurant, ESPN Zone!
-skippyskippy
They're getting rid of DisneyQuest?!?! That's like my favorite part of Downtown! I have to agree with you on the orgainization thing though .
Old 06-17-2006, 04:08 PM
<--Now Open

futuremartymcfly is covered with Confettifuturemartymcfly is covered with Confettifuturemartymcfly is covered with Confetti
Omg, they Cannot get rid of disney quest, that would be such a horrible move.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:39 PM
Awards Showcase

Well, surprise surprise, Disney is getting worse, and they're removing it!

I completely agree with whoever said that Disneyland beats Universal Studios Hollywood. That park needs some serious help, but Universal Orlando is thriving.

Now, it looks like Universal is trying to home in on the smaller kids. In 5 days they are opening up a brand new kids attraction in Seuss Landing, entitled the High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Ride. It combines a People-Mover type view (only you go up, around, and over the island, not just at sides of buildings) plus dark ride show scenes depicting classic seuss stories! The best part is there are two completely different tracks that visit different locations (i.e. Sneetch Beach, Circus McGurkus Cafe Stupendous) and each contains separate show scenes, meaning its like there are two dark rides in one! I've seen some pictures and the ride looks great. Too bad I won't be able to ride it for a while.

Now, Universal has also started the Kids Play and Eat and Stay Free program, which is surely going to attract thrifty tourists with younger kids. Universal actually DOES have some great stuff for the little ones, specifically an entire area devoted to them in each park (Woody Woodpecker's KidZone at the Studios and Seuss Landing at Islands). Plus, there are tons of kid-friendly attractons elsewhere in the parks (Sinbad, Jimmy Neutron, Shrek, Storm Force, The Flying Unicorn, etc.) plus all the huge play areas. I think Disney still has the edge on kid-oriented fun, but Universal is coming on strong and may someday cater to kids just as well as Disney.

Argue all you want...

-skippyskippy

Last edited by skip; 06-17-2006 at 05:38 PM..
Old 06-17-2006, 05:42 PM
&lt;-My Walt Disney World

Middiebear is covered with ConfettiMiddiebear is covered with ConfettiMiddiebear is covered with Confetti
Walt Disney World > (Put place here)

It's GREATER than any other place because Walt Disney World is MUCH MORE than just theme parks...

It means something more to people...

I didn't grow up going to Walt Disney World all my life... I grew up wanting to go to Walt Disney World...

Simply watching the Fireworks going off over Cinderella Castle beats Universal 100X over... It's the feeling you get watching them... It's the feeling that you know you're somewhere special, and that a dream might be coming true...
Old 06-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Awards Showcase

It's clear to me that you are a biased Disneyphile, Middie. You won't give any other park a chance. Whether it's Six Flags, Paramount, Universal, or whatever. Honestly, what's so great about it? Sure, there's a little magical feeling. But WDW is very corporate, and is continuing to go down the drain. (It's vice versa over in California. Disneyland's getting better and better.) Yeah, there are 4 parks. But it's QUALITY, not QUANTITY.

-skippyskippy
Old 06-17-2006, 06:29 PM
&lt;-My Walt Disney World

Middiebear is covered with ConfettiMiddiebear is covered with ConfettiMiddiebear is covered with Confetti
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyskippy
It's clear to me that you are a biased Disneyphile, Middie.
If you're saying that I wanted so badly to take a vacation down to Orlando just to go to Walt Disney World like so many other kids across the country/globe, then yea... You could say I'm biased...

I grew up wanting to see that Castle in real life... Heck, I wanted just to pass by the gates of Walt Disney World in real life... The first time I actually got to go to Walt Disney World is a day a dream came true...

Universal was just something just extra... something to fit in if we had time... But DEFINITELY not a place where I begged my parents to take me nor had any dreams about visiting...

Whether you actually like Walt Disney World, people still go just so they can tell their friends/family that they've actually been there... It's a "Right-of-Passage" for young kids and grown adults alike... And that's what's so special...

And I don't appreciate you judging me on what amusement parks I like and don't like... I grew up with "Six Flags, Playland, Dorney park, Great Escape" but while my family was there... We all just wished we could be at Walt Disney World... So I know what it's like to visit a Disney park, and I can tell the difference...

BTW: And I can CLEARLY see you're a "Universalphile" Skippyskippy... So there, we're even...