Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > VMK Gaming Archived Forums > VMK Players Discussion

VMK Players Discussion General VMK Gaming Discussions which doesn't fit anywhere else.

Old Pirate Vinnie Tales! 3/27/08

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
Happy Holidays'09 Award Caption Contest Participant Happy Valentine's Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 4

FrontierDonovan has disabled reputation
Hehe, I haven't been playing VMK that long (Only Since Aug. 26, 05) so I personally want FCM A LOT ;-)

~Front
Old 03-28-2008, 03:40 PM
so bored

jedibunny is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by prisoner View Post
Just like the letdown after shark magic. Just like the letdown after space suit magic.
when was there a letdown for either shark or space magic?
Old 03-28-2008, 04:14 PM
aka Priz
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 2

prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedibunny View Post
when was there a letdown for either shark or space magic?
I'd say you see the shark letdown now already. People were horribly excited about it when it was shown at the Imagineer fiasco. Kept begging the demonstrators to do it again. Nowadays... I almost never see it done.

Same thing for all of the tomorrowland magics including space and the cars. Sure, you see people use them every so often, but it used to be that you could barely go into a room without seeing someone driving around or in a space suit for a few seconds.

You are now leaving Prizkneeland, home of
please fasten your reality belts

preserving VMK for a future that will understand it.

Power to the Players!
Old 03-28-2008, 04:16 PM
so bored

jedibunny is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by prisoner View Post
I'd say you see the shark letdown now already. People were horribly excited about it when it was shown at the Imagineer fiasco. Kept begging the demonstrators to do it again. Nowadays... I almost never see it done.

Same thing for all of the tomorrowland magics including space and the cars. Sure, you see people use them every so often, but it used to be that you could barely go into a room without seeing someone driving around or in a space suit for a few seconds.
hmm.. thats not really a letdown as it is a cool down. ppl just used them less bc the initial ooh wore off it didnt let anybody down
Old 03-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Registered+

Vary has disabled reputation
Quote:
hmm.. thats not really a letdown as it is a cool down. ppl just used them less bc the initial ooh wore off it didnt let anybody down
Exactly. So what if the novelty wears off after a while? That's true of almost anything. They're still fun to have and play with. I love my confetti and cursed storm pins, but I don't use them constantly, or even every day.

I thought the story was very cute and I'm looking forward to seeing what they've got planned - whatever it is, they're obviously pretty proud of it. And I can't believe the number of people who are complaining about a quest that hasn't even been released yet.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Silly boy.

My Mood: Woot
GoofyLuke ’s Invisible pin is 5* - Spooky!
They think kids are going to read that page long story about Blackheart? Hah.

-Goofy
Old 03-28-2008, 06:32 PM
aka Priz
Awards Showcase

prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vary View Post
Exactly. So what if the novelty wears off after a while? That's true of almost anything. They're still fun to have and play with. I love my confetti and cursed storm pins, but I don't use them constantly, or even every day.
As you wish. Substitute "cool down" where I used the phrase "letdown".

But people who keep trying to sell their magic pins for the latest hot item seem to be more "let down" by it.

Quote:
I thought the story was very cute and I'm looking forward to seeing what they've got planned - whatever it is, they're obviously pretty proud of it. And I can't believe the number of people who are complaining about a quest that hasn't even been released yet.
They sure are! Just like how proud they were of the Trading Card Game! And the dark rides! And VMK Pass and VMK Ticket!

We're "complaining" because VMK has a 2 year track record of hyping something up as a big bang, only for it to end up being a small whimper. And their track record on in-game quests isn't exactly all that great either. So when they talk about how awesome something is, we look back on everything else they said would be awesome and think... gee... none of those ended up being all that awesome in the end...

Contrairwise, VMK also has a track record for releasing things with little fanfare, and for these things to be truly awesome and game-changing. VMK isn't really about the big things - those things are showy and make little long-term impact in VMK. Its the smaller more individual things that really make the difference in VMK as a whole.

That said - I'm hoping I'm pleasantly surprised. But one quest and one item will probably not pleasantly surprise me.

Power to the Players!
Old 03-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Registered+

Vary has disabled reputation
You can't expect novelty to last forever, on anything. Yeah, some people are going to trade items they've gotten bored with, but so what? And remember that a lot of the people who're trading extra shark pins are the ones who bought more than they wanted in case they retired quickly and their value skyrocketed. This isn't just a semantic argument over 'cooldown' vs 'letdown'; you seem to be assuming that the fact that the novelty wears of on some new items means that those new items are somehow flawed.

They should be proud of the dark rides, passes and tickets. They're awesome. I don't know what's going on with the trading card game, but if I were to guess I'd say that they took the lukewarm response to the demo version to mean that it wasn't really what their players were looking for, and decided to focus more on other things or that they'd have to revamp it more than they'd expected.

And if VMK isn't about the big things for you, then why do you expect this quest to appeal to you, or care if it's fun for you or not? I think it will be fun for the people the game's meant for.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Registered+

Lost_Yet_Found is spinning in a Cursed Storm
To me the place where the ship was near the end sounds alot like discovery island (Now gone) as their was a ship on a beach with a treasure chest their and a volcano in the far distance. So maybe we will see the returnof that. And a place where the natives where using strange magic could be spell room 0_o Might we be seeing the return of some old favorite rooms?
Old 03-28-2008, 08:37 PM
aka Priz
Awards Showcase

Quote:
You can't expect novelty to last forever, on anything. Yeah, some people are going to trade items they've gotten bored with, but so what? And remember that a lot of the people who're trading extra shark pins are the ones who bought more than they wanted in case they retired quickly and their value skyrocketed. This isn't just a semantic argument over 'cooldown' vs 'letdown';
I think its also a matter of how much something is talked about. It really seems like some of the most hyped items are VMK are "cool" only because they haven't been released yet. Once released, they're not so cool anymore. Levitation was a surprise - so people found it cool for longer than Shark, which everyone saw ahead of time.

The anticipation seems more exciting than the reality.

Quote:
you seem to be assuming that the fact that the novelty wears of on some new items means that those new items are somehow flawed.
I have to think about that one.

My gut reaction is - yes. Exactly.

The items in VMK that seem to have real lasting power are those items that have something special about them besides that they're new and shiny.

Quote:
They should be proud of the dark rides, passes and tickets. They're awesome. I don't know what's going on with the trading card game, but if I were to guess I'd say that they took the lukewarm response to the demo version to mean that it wasn't really what their players were looking for, and decided to focus more on other things or that they'd have to revamp it more than they'd expected.
My point was that all of these were hyped up before and when they first came out... and petered off to nothing. Unless there is a quest or a new pin, the dark rides are largely empty nowadays. (And we're only now beginning to get items from the pan ride.) I haven't seen people use tickets except for Club 33 in ages. VMK Pass took months to tweak till it was usable by most people, and conventional wisdom even now is to not use it because you risk crashing. And as you note, the TCG seems like it was a gross misunderstanding of their target audience - I'd say that most of these items were misunderstandings of their target audience.

Which is why I fear this big event will also be a misunderstanding.

Quote:
And if VMK isn't about the big things for you, then why do you expect this quest to appeal to you, or care if it's fun for you or not? I think it will be fun for the people the game's meant for.
I'm doubtful. We already have people saying they didn't read the backstory because it was too long and boring. (And, I'll grant, others saying they did read it and liked it.) Already people (presumably "the people the game's meant for") are turned off by it.

I'm not sure if the quest will appeal to me. But I care because I care about the general quality of VMK. What I outlined was a whole lot of little things that added up to something big - something that might have ended up as a whole month of excitement, building to a crescendo. What seems to be presented is one big thing, suddenly bursting onto the scene, and ignored just as quickly as it came.

I care if its fun, because I like to see people on this forum and in VMK having fun. Thats why I make rooms and run games - because people have fun with them. I like it most when VMK does things that create long-term fun (like the mini-games, or releasing new items that people can build many and varied rooms with) instead of short bursts of things that they have to get people excited about, only to see the excitement dim shortly afterwards (like many of their quests).

Power to the Players!
Old 03-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Trader
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Award Patriot 2010 Award Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award Halloween '09 Award Patriot 2009 Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Participants Award 
Total Awards: 11

Born In Park
My Mood: Baffled
awsomered is spinning in a Cursed Storm
cool story i even understand it!