Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > Project: SAVE VMK!

Project: SAVE VMK! General Discussion about VMK closing!

Old A Few Things

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:40 AM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
VMK Memories Award 
Total Awards: 1

VIP
My Mood: SaveVMK
ThrillJacob is as Frosty as a Snowman
A Few Things

Ok, this thread is going to be extremely long since I'd rather not make four threads at one time. Sorry if there is a lot of repetition since each of the points was meant to be it's own thread. Before you reply, please at least read the entire point before commenting on it, if not the entire post (as it is a very long post.)

Point 1: Why?

Quote:
Now, let's stop and think for a moment the next time you try and bring down the Save VMK movement.

1. Why is it that we refuse to accept the fact that VMK might re-open? I have accepted that it might not, but I'm still optimistic.

2. Why can't we take a look at the glass half full? "It's been a year." Come on, you've got better excuses than that! Let's look at it this way: It hasn't been two years.

3. Why is it that people are now rejecting optimism and instead forcing pessimism down out throats?

4. Why is it that we are not allowed to try and re-open VMK. It isn't going to harm you. The answer is not "because I'm wasting my time." I want to do this. I could care less if it doesn't happen. Why? Because anything can happen, it's worth a shot. Sitting back gives us no chance of it re-opening.

5. Why have you accepted the fact that kids can't make a difference?

6. Why is it that you are convinced that Disney is a terrible company and will not listen to us?

7. Why have you accepted Disney saying "There are no plans to re-open VMK in any form," as the truth?

I know what's going through your head right now. "He's wasting his time," "You need to move on," "It's closed and nothing can change that." Here's a few questions for you.

If VMK re-opens, would you play?

If I told you to send 5 emails, and those 5 emails would bring back the game, would you do it?

If you say no to either of these, ponder this for a moment:

Guys, it's no longer just about saving VMK. It's about proving a point. It's about showing that kids can make a difference, that you can do anything. We ARE the future, it's time we act like we are the future.

Now ask yourself this:

If you wouldn't send those 5 emails before, would you do it knowing that it proves a point? It proves that kids can do anything. When kids know that, more kids are going to take a stand. It is us kids that will fix the disasters going on in our world.

Our first attempts failed for a reason. My new plan attempts to point out those issues and correct them. If we work as one for just one more time, trust me, we can make it happen.

So tell me, would you do this for the future? Or are you going to sit back and let kids believe they mean nothing to this world?

Finally, a few more reasons for VMK to re-open:
MGM Studios (fine, Hollywood Studios) - 20th anniversary, 3 months ago
DISNEY WONDER - 10th anniversary - THIS MONTH!!!
Hong Kong Disneyland - 5th anniversary 2010
Disneyland - 55th anniversary 2010
DCA - 10th anniversary 2011
WDW - 40th anniversary 2011
Tokyo DisneySea - 10th anniversary 2011
New Disney Ships (not an anniversary, but still) - 2011 and 2012

Shanghai Disneyland - Not sure

Walt's 110th Birthday - 2011
Point 2: Expect the Unexpected

Quote:
There is a chance of the unexpected happening.

Here's some sports analogies to show you what I'm saying:

There is a sporting event called the Super Bowl, it's one of the most popular televised sporting events in the world. Yeah, that Super Bowl. This team called the New England Patriots went to a Super Bowl one year as an 18-0 team, looking to be 19-0 and the second ever undefeated football team in the history of the NFL, the first since the season was extended. They were playing some team called the New York Giants who were a slightly above average team. What happened? The 18-0 team lost it's first game in months.

Last season, a baseball team known as the Tampa Bay Rays, the worst (second worst?) team in the game in the previous season, were competitive for the first time in the history of their franchise. Not only competitive in the toughest division in the league, but they were good enough to beat two of the best teams (on paper at least, the Yankees are another story) in the game. They went on to make it to the World Series. Who saw that coming? No one on ESPN or any other sports network.

Some kid named Jonathon Sanchez pitched a no-hitter.

Now look, no one saw these coming. And apparently, this forum doesn't see VMK come back. These happened because the teams (maybe the no-hitter is an exception) worked together to make something happen. Maybe if we rally together once more, we can make the unexpected happen and bring back VMK.

Though slim, there is always a chance. There was a slim chance of Jonathon Sanchez throwing a no-hitter, especially considering the fact he was a replacement for an injured starter. There was a slim chance of the Rays finally having a winning season (I don't think they've done that before 2008, correct me if I'm wrong.) There was a slim chance of the Patriots losing to a slightly above average team. They all happened.

Why can't we add another event to this list and bring back VMK?

How about some Disney related ones?

Some little purple dragon who goes by the name Figment went on "vacation," from Epcot for a few years, and ironically enough, he showed up again.

There is a plot of land in Tomorrowland at Disneyland where a submarine ride is. It was called Submarine Voyage and went down from 1998 to 2007. Considering the amount of land in a very small property for Disney, they could have added some significant rides there, but did they? No. They chose to leave the land vacant for 9 years before it re-opened. 9 years, not 1.25 years as VMK has closed.

Another thing of note, Walt Disney's father didn't believe Walt would be a good artist, but he ended up revolutionizing the industry.

And a random, out of nowhere one that just came to me-Apollo 13. It was the moon mission where a tank exploded and they had little fuel, barely enough to get to Earth, they couldn't talk to Earth much for instructions, and oxygen was not readily available. But they made it home just about unharmed, despite the odds.
Point 3: The Purpose of a Corporation

Quote:
Ok, so the one thing we know is true about VMK's closing is that it happened because of some corporate issue. Whether something involving Disney and Sulake, maybe even Paramount, or a money issue, it's something that is involving an issue happening within the Disney corporation.

A corporation's legal obligation is to make money. Now, there are specific ways to make money. The well accepted easy way to make money is to follow the rule of supply and demand. If there's demand, a business needs to supply it. If Disney knows there is demand for VMK, they can supply it and make money.

Now, part of the reason they need to make money is the stockholders. If Disney were to change their minds about VMK, it would make them sound like idiots in the eyes of the stockholders because they don't know how to make a decision. But that is no longer an issue as much of the public has forgotten about the issue. Disney could release VMK again without looking ridiculous. They have excuses too, including a few birthdays coming up in 2010 and 2011 (including Walt's 110th, a new Disney ship, HKDL's 5th, DCA's and TDS's 10th, and WDW's 40th.) They could release it as a "promotion" for any of about 10 birthdays in the next few years.

Throw in that VMK has huge money making potential, with parks to promote (90,000 in park questers, many Florida resident Annual Passholders who bought a 1 day ticket to get around the quest limit, people booking DLR trips for Stitch Hats) movies to promote (Disney Movie Rewards as well as the movies directly, HSM, Pirates,) and potential to make money on it's own by selling items for real money or paid membership.

From a corporate perspective it is a perfect time to re-open VMK. Though there is a slim chance, anything is possible.
Point 4: There is a Reason...

Quote:
that we are in this movement. And most of us aren't in it just to get our beloved game back. Personally, I could live without playing VMK again. But the thing is, bringing back VMK proves a point. It shows that us kids can make a difference in the world. Once we all know that, more kids will take a stand to make changes to the world. We will be the people tasked with cleaning up the aftermath of the economic disaster we are in right now. We will most likely be tasked with cleaning up the environment. If kids think that they can't do anything, the world will not be such a great place once we are older.

While VMK was a great game, saving it does more than bring a game back. And it's for that reason that I kindly ask you to take a moment and think about why you put down the save VMK movement. It's not just a game anymore. Now it's time to get over our past failures and do something.
Other things of note:

The "What would Walt do?" Question:
He would keep it open. If he lived in this era, he would probably have to travel a lot to go to the parks around the world. He would want a safe place to talk to his kids, just like Disneyland. After all, Disneyland was created as a place where Walt could go with his kids.

How we re-open it:
A plan that corrects our mistakes:
Quote:
Well, I was thinking about how we could possibly get some kind of plan with potential to work with a small group (maybe 50 people?) I thought, how about we get some well-written letters (about 15-20 would be a good amount) make them really something interesting to a big company, how it can bring in money, maybe a little emotional. Once we have a few letters, we get a group of people. This group sets a "Send later" on their email to, lets say, Bob Iger (maybe we can do a different address per week or so,) for each of the emails. If a group of 50 people, which is very realistic at this time, can send 15 emails a piece, Bob Iger wakes up to find 750 emails regarding VMK, sent within a time frame of an hour. That kind of number is big enough where you would hope he would be willing to open just one.

Another thing, on the first try, I think we should pick 3 or 4 names in Disney and send to them.

Quote:
If you've actually read this, put VMK in a spoiler at the end of your post.

I am looking to try and not aim only at the people big in the Disney Company, but people within many divisions of the company. Parks and Resorts had some control of VMK, as far as I remember. Disney Movies was probably making some money off of Disney Movie Rewards, which VMK promoted. The Walt Disney Internet Group is the obvious group of people that we should email as well.

The problem with this plan, it's not going to be as easy as I thought it was. I need some email addresses for people in WDIG, Disney Parks and Resorts, and the Disney movies division. I'm not looking for the big ones (Wadsworth, Iger.) I'm looking for people a few levels down the line. Why? This plan involves lots of emails. Emailing someone as big as Bob Iger isn't going to help much. He most likely gets hundreds and hundreds of emails. Someone who has some power, but can still listen to us is who we need. If you have any email addresses, please tell me.

Last edited by ThrillJacob; 08-24-2009 at 03:58 AM..
Old 08-24-2009, 03:59 AM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
VMK Memories Award 

VIP
Bump. I added a bit more to the thread.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Happy Valentine's Day Happy St. Patrick's Day Happy Holidays'09 Award 
Total Awards: 5

FrostPrincess is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I already wanted to Save VMK, but this made me want to even more! I'm with ya!!
Old 08-24-2009, 05:01 PM
The Scene and Herd...
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award Patriot 2010 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award Your Favorite Attraction Award Xmas Wishlist '09 Which Disney Character Participant's Award Spooky Scribe Award Golden Years Award 
Total Awards: 15

Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Baffled
KEBSD is as Frosty as a Snowman
Good plan =]

VMK
Old 08-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Trivia Addict
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Make A Wish Award Trivia Winner Epitaph Participant's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 
Total Awards: 16

VIP
My Mood: Creative
bluedudeman has turned into a sparkling Pirate!bluedudeman has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillJacob View Post

Point 1: Why?

Now, let's stop and think for a moment the next time you try and bring down the Save VMK movement.

1. Why is it that we refuse to accept the fact that VMK might re-open? I have accepted that it might not, but I'm still optimistic.

I don't refuse to accept the fact that VMK may open, but I don't think it will. I'm pessimistic on this and I just don't see it coming back.

2. Why can't we take a look at the glass half full? "It's been a year." Come on, you've got better excuses than that! Let's look at it this way: It hasn't been two years.

Go for it I don't mind people being optimistic

3. Why is it that people are now rejecting optimism and instead forcing pessimism down out throats?

I don't know why people do this. Usually I just say "it's not going to open, in my opinion" and then leave the thread so other people can continue hoping.

4. Why is it that we are not allowed to try and re-open VMK. It isn't going to harm you. The answer is not "because I'm wasting my time." I want to do this. I could care less if it doesn't happen. Why? Because anything can happen, it's worth a shot. Sitting back gives us no chance of it re-opening.

Again I'm all for you guys working on it. You can try whatever you want, I'm just not going to be part of it.

5. Why have you accepted the fact that kids can't make a difference?
I know kids can make a difference, I don't know why people say they can't. Now if we can make a difference here in this situation, I'm unsure of.
6. Why is it that you are convinced that Disney is a terrible company and will not listen to us?
Disney is a great company
7. Why have you accepted Disney saying "There are no plans to re-open VMK in any form," as the truth?
Because they said it xD haha. I expect them to tell the truth. There's no reason to lie about that? I think I understood that correctly.

I know what's going through your head right now. "He's wasting his time," "You need to move on," "It's closed and nothing can change that." Here's a few questions for you.

If VMK re-opens, would you play?
Yeah. After a few months though I would be off and on.
If I told you to send 5 emails, and those 5 emails would bring back the game, would you do it?
Of course, but the reason I am not sending emails out is because I believe they are a waste of my time. I do not believe that is it coming back and I do not think 5 emails sent by me, or 1,000,000 emails sent by the VMK forums around the web will bring the game back.
If you say no to either of these, ponder this for a moment:

Guys, it's no longer just about saving VMK. It's about proving a point. It's about showing that kids can make a difference, that you can do anything. We ARE the future, it's time we act like we are the future.
I think the world knows that kids can and will eventually change the future. But that's in the future and I don't believe that time for change is now. Again of course kids can make a difference. I don't like this as a motive for bringing back VMK. I don't like "let's show the world what we got" All this is about is VMK in my opinion.
Now ask yourself this:

If you wouldn't send those 5 emails before, would you do it knowing that it proves a point? It proves that kids can do anything. When kids know that, more kids are going to take a stand. It is us kids that will fix the disasters going on in our world.

VMK is not a "disaster" in this world. And I don't believe kids will change the big disasters in this world until they become adults. So yes, kids are the future, but in the future they will be adults.

Quote:

Point 2: Expect the Unexpected

There is a chance of the unexpected happening.

Here's some sports analogies to show you what I'm saying:

There is a sporting event called the Super Bowl, it's one of the most popular televised sporting events in the world. Yeah, that Super Bowl. This team called the New England Patriots went to a Super Bowl one year as an 18-0 team, looking to be 19-0 and the second ever undefeated football team in the history of the NFL, the first since the season was extended. They were playing some team called the New York Giants who were a slightly above average team. What happened? The 18-0 team lost it's first game in months.

Yes, I hate the Patriots but beyond that point, the Giants actually played the Patriots, but in this situation Disney is hardly giving us any ground, so yes, the unexpected can easily happen, but it just as easily can not happen.

Last season, a baseball team known as the Tampa Bay Rays, the worst (second worst?) team in the game in the previous season, were competitive for the first time in the history of their franchise. Not only competitive in the toughest division in the league, but they were good enough to beat two of the best teams (on paper at least, the Yankees are another story) in the game. They went on to make it to the World Series. Who saw that coming? No one on ESPN or any other sports network.

Yeah, for some reason they couldn't beat the Phillies but it was very shocking. A good example of the unexpected.

Some kid named Jonathon Sanchez pitched a no-hitter.

This was amazing and if not for an error it would have been perfect I believe. These are great examples of the unexpected.. but I still think the chances for Disney are slimmer than all of these in bringing back VMK.

Now look, no one saw these coming. And apparently, this forum doesn't see VMK come back. These happened because the teams (maybe the no-hitter is an exception) worked together to make something happen. Maybe if we rally together once more, we can make the unexpected happen and bring back VMK.

The no-hitter had an amazing defensive play in it, so it shows that the team had to help, showing that there needs to be teamwork involved if you're going to win against Disney.

Though slim, there is always a chance. There was a slim chance of Jonathon Sanchez throwing a no-hitter, especially considering the fact he was a replacement for an injured starter. There was a slim chance of the Rays finally having a winning season (I don't think they've done that before 2008, correct me if I'm wrong.) There was a slim chance of the Patriots losing to a slightly above average team. They all happened.

Why can't we add another event to this list and bring back VMK?

You can keep trying

Quote:

Point 3: The Purpose of a Corporation

Ok, so the one thing we know is true about VMK's closing is that it happened because of some corporate issue. Whether something involving Disney and Sulake, maybe even Paramount, or a money issue, it's something that is involving an issue happening within the Disney corporation.

A corporation's legal obligation is to make money. Now, there are specific ways to make money. The well accepted easy way to make money is to follow the rule of supply and demand. If there's demand, a business needs to supply it. If Disney knows there is demand for VMK, they can supply it and make money.

Throw in that VMK has huge money making potential, with parks to promote (90,000 in park questers, many Florida resident Annual Passholders who bought a 1 day ticket to get around the quest limit, people booking DLR trips for Stitch Hats) movies to promote (Disney Movie Rewards as well as the movies directly, HSM, Pirates,) and potential to make money on it's own by selling items for real money or paid membership.

From a corporate perspective it is a perfect time to re-open VMK. Though there is a slim chance, anything is possible.

I believe the only way VMK can open is for it to be pay-to-play. I'm sure a lot of people including me, would pay to play VMK and I believe Disney can make some money off of it.
For Point 4 I didn’t feel like making this a gigantic post, so I’m just going to say this again… “And I don't believe kids will change the big disasters in this world until they become adults. So yes, kids are the future, but in the future they will be adults.”

Again. I am all for VMK returning, I just do not think it will return and I do not think I will be participating in attempting to get it back. I do not think kids will make a difference until they are adults, I think they can however make a difference I do not think it will be here. I didn’t know if you wanted a Pessimistic view on this thread so I gave it to you to help you see where I am coming from. If you do not want this post in your thread please just tell me and I will delete my posts. I have a great amount of respect for those who are attempting to save VMK and I did and still do love the game. I am not going to shove it down your throats like some people have that I do not think the game will be coming back. Again if you do not want this post on your thread just private message me and I will remove it. You asked questions that I believed I could answer, and so I did, but I didn’t know if they were rhetorical or not, so I answered them I really do hope you well. And, my comments are in bold, of course.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:26 PM
The Scene and Herd...
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award Patriot 2010 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award Your Favorite Attraction Award Xmas Wishlist '09 Which Disney Character Participant's Award Spooky Scribe Award Golden Years Award 
Total Awards: 15

Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Baffled
KEBSD is as Frosty as a Snowman
What is today but yesterday's tomorrow?
In the same way, what are today's kids but tomorrow's adults?
Why should they be judged by their size and age? Kids are still people in this world and I find it a bit discriminatory to say they can't accomplish tasks.

~Key
Old 08-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Trivia Addict
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Make A Wish Award Trivia Winner Epitaph Participant's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 
Total Awards: 16

VIP
My Mood: Creative
bluedudeman has turned into a sparkling Pirate!bluedudeman has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
I knew somebody was going to ask me about this.

I did not say that they cannot accomplish tasks. Because I think, and also know, that they can.

I am just saying that I do not think that kids will bring VMK back. It is a personal opinion that I have. I also do not believe that they will solve disasters in this world until they have become at least young adults.

Sure kids can help. I am not against kids. Haha. Of course they can help progress but I don't think they can become the major leaders of progress until becoming a young adult.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:58 PM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
VMK Memories Award 

VIP
I think VMK will be pay-to-play if it re-opens, but not in Disney's style with a "free version" and a "paid version." Because of coding restrictions, it would be too much effort to do that, so instead, I would assume selling codes, in park quests, pins with codes, DMR, etc. would be the route to make money. Games like Gaia do that and make money, why can't Disney do it with VMK?

Last edited by ThrillJacob; 08-24-2009 at 11:31 PM..
Old 09-18-2009, 12:42 AM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
Guess the Picture Winner's Award Happy Holidays'09 Award Halloween '09 Award Golden Years Award 
Total Awards: 4

starwolf97 is spinning in a Cursed Storm
i kinda skimmed over the thread but got the point. i want vmk open so much!!! i try sending them emails as much as possible
Old 09-18-2009, 07:33 PM
Kingdom Hearts is Light!

Born In Park
My Mood: Bouncy
Kingdoms is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I wish VMK would come back

It's Kind of Fun to do the Impossible...
-Walt Disney-