Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > VMK Gaming Archived Forums > Trading Post > Old and Sold!

Old and Sold! Trading Post Archive for old trading threads or completed trading threads

Old Tips of the Trade Help!

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 06-26-2005, 06:20 AM
VMK Dreaming

dizneydesi is as Frosty as a Snowman
Exclamation Tips of the Trade Help!

I am trade challenged. Yes, I stink at trading. (the first step is to admit I am powerless over trading! ) I am sure some newbies might need some pointers too.
If those who are familiar with, competent at, and the trading masters would please outline the steps to a perfect trade, that would be awesome!

I thank you, those whom I encounter for the next trade thank you, and the newbies thank you!

vmk name- fantasmico
"Would you like your tea now. . . or would you like an Adventure?" Peter Pan ____________________________________________
"When I see the stars, when I see stars
When I see the stars--I am like myself" switchfoot
Old 06-26-2005, 06:34 AM
single-serving friend

MrGenie has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundMrGenie has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundMrGenie has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundMrGenie has turned into a Bat and is flying around
I wouldn't call myself a trading master or anything, but I've been involved in enough trades that I think I can pretty accurately describe the process. It's really not too tricky once you've done it a few times.

How to trade:

1) Click on a person you want to trade with and choose the option that asks them if they want to trade. At this point, they will see a message box on their screen asking them if they want to trade with you. They can select "cancel" (which closes the window), "ignore" (which closes the window and ignores all subsequent messages from you for a few minutes), or "ok". If they click "ok", then a trading window opens that you can both see.

2) In the trading window, you are on the left and the person you are trading with is on the right. You can browse through all of your tradeable items: clothing/pins that you aren't wearing, and posters/furniture that are not placed in one of your rooms. Double-click each item to add it to the trade. To remove an item from the trade, double-click it again.

3) After you have added anything you want to trade and the other person has done the same, then you can check the box if you are happy with the trade. Once both people check their boxes, the trade is complete and the window closes. If you have any questions about the trade, you can type with the person below (NOTE: some people like to use the trading window like an Instant Messaging tool...it's a quick way to send a PM to someone even if you have no intention of trading ).

One other detail: if you check the box to accept the trade but the items in the trade change, then your box is automatically unchecked to prevent you from accidentally accepting a trade that you did not agree to. So, you'll need to recheck the box if you or the other person changes the trade.

That's about all I can think of...given my tendency to overdocument things, I'd probably throw some screenshots in too if VMK was still open. However, I think this should give you more than enough information to be an expert trader in no time. Good luck!

Last edited by MrGenie; 06-26-2005 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: missed a parenthesis! d'oh!
Old 06-26-2005, 06:47 AM
Don't forget the wiki
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

SpinMarty ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureSpinMarty ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureSpinMarty ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureSpinMarty ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureSpinMarty ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureSpinMarty ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
Nice job MrGenie

The only thing that I would add is to talk with the person first before hitting the trade button. I often will not accept trades from people who don't bother to talk with me first.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:45 AM
Lego M&M

danielchand is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGenie
I wouldn't call myself a trading master or anything, but I've been involved in enough trades that I think I can pretty accurately describe the process. It's really not too tricky once you've done it a few times.

How to trade:

1) Click on a person you want to trade with and choose the option that asks them if they want to trade. At this point, they will see a message box on their screen asking them if they want to trade with you. They can select "cancel" (which closes the window), "ignore" (which closes the window and ignores all subsequent messages from you for a few minutes), or "ok". If they click "ok", then a trading window opens that you can both see.

2) In the trading window, you are on the left and the person you are trading with is on the right. You can browse through all of your tradeable items: clothing/pins that you aren't wearing, and posters/furniture that are not placed in one of your rooms. Double-click each item to add it to the trade. To remove an item from the trade, double-click it again.

3) After you have added anything you want to trade and the other person has done the same, then you can check the box if you are happy with the trade. Once both people check their boxes, the trade is complete and the window closes. If you have any questions about the trade, you can type with the person below (NOTE: some people like to use the trading window like an Instant Messaging tool...it's a quick way to send a PM to someone even if you have no intention of trading ).

One other detail: if you check the box to accept the trade but the items in the trade change, then your box is automatically unchecked to prevent you from accidentally accepting a trade that you did not agree to. So, you'll need to recheck the box if you or the other person changes the trade.

That's about all I can think of...given my tendency to overdocument things, I'd probably throw some screenshots in too if VMK was still open. However, I think this should give you more than enough information to be an expert trader in no time. Good luck!
You forgot that if players win in player-made mini games, the game host can give prizes by trading but the winner doesnt put any thing

Thanks Scarrygirl for the glitter
Old 06-26-2005, 01:31 PM
Awards Showcase
Happy St. Patrick's Day 
Total Awards: 1

RoyalHighness has Fireworks shooting off over their headRoyalHighness has Fireworks shooting off over their headRoyalHighness has Fireworks shooting off over their headRoyalHighness has Fireworks shooting off over their head
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinMarty
Nice job MrGenie

The only thing that I would add is to talk with the person first before hitting the trade button. I often will not accept trades from people who don't bother to talk with me first.
I agree with you there Spin (applause).
Old 06-26-2005, 04:07 PM
Buccaneer of the 7 Seas

Whar is as Frosty as a Snowman
Also, you must make sure that the trade is not stacked against you. When you trade, make sure that items are fairly even. Don't hesitate to take a bit longer in deciding!
Old 06-26-2005, 04:22 PM
VMK Dreaming

dizneydesi is as Frosty as a Snowman
thanks for some really good information y'all! this will really help!

some ppl seem to not wait at all before trading. it is like trade now or else. i guess i am better off for not making a trade at that time.

sometimes i cannot seem to be able to talk with them first. like last night with mr.genie. could not send any message through trade. i could read his messages though. weird.

vmk name- fantasmico
"Would you like your tea now. . . or would you like an Adventure?" Peter Pan ____________________________________________
"When I see the stars, when I see stars
When I see the stars--I am like myself" switchfoot
Old 06-26-2005, 05:51 PM
single-serving friend

MrGenie has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundMrGenie has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundMrGenie has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundMrGenie has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneydesi
sometimes i cannot seem to be able to talk with them first. like last night with mr.genie. could not send any message through trade. i could read his messages though. weird.
There is currently a bug in the trade chat area...sometimes when I try to chat in the trade window, my cursor keeps jumping down below to the main VMK chat field. Sometimes this happens every few seconds, while other times it doesn't happen at all. I am not sure what causes this, but I hope they fix it. Perhaps this is what happened to you last night!
Old 06-26-2005, 06:35 PM
Evil Flower

My Mood: Adventurous
Xiris is floating through Inner Space
Just as a pointer, when trading make sure the other person does not remove there item quickly and press accept, then stealing your item. Always make sure you know what you are doing!
Old 06-26-2005, 06:48 PM
Evil Flower

My Mood: Adventurous
Xiris is floating through Inner Space
Directions - Again With Pictures

If the above was not clear, here are pictures...

CLICK ON THEM TO ENLARGE!!!

First Click Trade...

Then You Should Add Your Items...

Then follow the above precautions and accept!

There you go...
Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting
Old 06-26-2005, 07:13 PM

TinkerBlue is floating through Inner Space
Also

When I get the trade window, I always ask the other party for what they are looking before I ever put things in my trade column. One new guest wanted clothes...didn't seem to matter what either. Another guest just wanted to trade "anything". So, don't hesitate to ask.

As in real pin trading in the parks, if you are not comfortable with making a trade, don't be afraid to decline politely. You don't HAVE to trade. Once the trade is made, don't forget to say "Thank you".
Old 06-26-2005, 07:20 PM

Bezoar is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGenie
There is currently a bug in the trade chat area...sometimes when I try to chat in the trade window, my cursor keeps jumping down below to the main VMK chat field. Sometimes this happens every few seconds, while other times it doesn't happen at all. I am not sure what causes this, but I hope they fix it. Perhaps this is what happened to you last night!
It happens both here and in the send message window, and for me, seems to be worse when there is more talking going on in the room. I've sent in bug reports for these.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:05 PM
I <3 Musicians

FlyThenFall is floating through Inner Space
I think the most important thing is for both parties to leave with on good terms. That always includes making sure the trade is fair, minding your P's and Q's, and talking to the person before hand. In all, do everything everyone else has said. Friendliness goes a long way in the VMK world!

Surprising how you forget.