Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > VMK Gaming Archived Forums > Player Created Mini-Games & Quests

Player Created Mini-Games & Quests Games and Quests inside rooms of VMK made by the players for the players.

Old Spirits Speak! The Game

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:30 PM
aka Priz
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 2

prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!
Game Results - 13 March 2006

19 games yesterday, played in a little under two hours. Not as many disconnect problems yesterday, although we certainly had some (including the one that kicked me out and wouldn't let me back :b). Our four winners:
  • LAdyRaiders (3 guesses)
  • CL_LuxoJr (2 guesses)
  • friendswithall (4 guesses)
  • jpkitty (5 guesses)

I think the most interesting thing about this list is that we had a winner on every row but the first. As an aside - we haven't yet had anyone win it on the first try! With over 150 games played, we would have expected at least one person so far. Yesterday we had two people come very close - both had two hits on the first try!

But neither won the game. And this brings up something very frustrating to me. Clearly neither read the rules, or if they didn't didn't understand them. Or didn't care. We have lots and lots of people who have fun playing - and a few who... well... I don't know if they have fun or not, to be honest.

Today's example is from a person who didn't win. They made a couple of mistakes, and didn't listen close enough to what the spirits were saying. I'll be giving my comments along the way, but let's see if you can figure it out before we get to the end or what you would have done differently.

Guess 1: 152
Result: 1 hit, 2 misses
Not a bad first guess. We'll need more information

Guess 2: 514
Result: 2 near, 1 miss
The biggest problem with this guess and result is that it makes things only more confusing. The guess itself was confusing - if you think either the 1 or the 5 are correct - why swap them around when one is a hit? We do learn some things from this: we know the 4 is correct, but we don't know where. We know the 2 is wrong. We know that we have either a 1 or a 5, and we know where it might be.

Guess 3: 332
Result: 3 misses
Ok, if we didn't know 2 was wrong before, we better know it now. We also know that 3 isn't it. So we've narrowed our possible values to 4, and either 1 or 5. That also means that one of them is repeated as well.

Guess 4: 135
This was just a bad guess, although we can gather some information from it. We already knew 3 was wrong, so we can ignore it here. We knew it was either 1 or 5, so guessing both wasn't a great idea. But since we knew (from guess 1) that either the 1 or 5 was in the correct place, we now have a confirmation that it was the 1. So we now know where both the 1 and the 4 belong. But we have no idea what is supposed to be in the last spot.

Guess 5: 145
Result: 2 hits, 1 miss
Clearly a failure to listen carefully. There was no reason to repeat the 1 and the 5 since only one was correct.

Answer: 141

I think the real failure here was in guess 3. We should already have known that the 2 was wrong, so we should have used this to find out if 3 was involved (it wasn't) or if one of the others was (say, to narrow down the 1 or 5 question). Always associating the 1 and 5 together just made it difficult to know which was correct.

And now, your letters:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the Muffin Head
I won too . Not sure when but would you happen to remember Moomalademuffin? Yeah I won the pin
Yes, I remember you. And yes, I sitll have the record of your game. Want me to post it tomorrow and you can comment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottedDog
I saw it the other day and wanted to play but the line was just scary.
This is the worst part of the game, I think. We do have a pretty long line and it does move fairly slowly. Games take 5 or so minutes each, including reset time, and that can be an awfully long time to wait. Worse if you get disconnected.

Hopefully, I think we still have fun while on line. We chat a lot and cheer the players on. Many people try to solve the game in progress, even if they're not the ones playing.

Hope to see you again on the riverboat! Take care, everyone, and have a Disney Day.

You are now leaving Prizkneeland, home of
please fasten your reality belts

preserving VMK for a future that will understand it.

Power to the Players!
Old 03-14-2006, 12:37 PM
Call me Moon
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

.:Moomalademuffin:. ’s Invisible pin is 5* - Spooky!
Sure! lol ill make comments and all. Me and my rl best friend came to play but we left because of the line Its a great game though!
Old 03-14-2006, 01:13 PM
I'm back, and I'm staying

TheKeyHolder is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Hmm..Sounds really awesome I will visit after school (stupid school _-_')
Old 03-15-2006, 01:17 PM
aka Priz
Awards Showcase

prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark The Muffin Head
Sure! lol ill make comments and all. Me and my rl best friend came to play but we left because of the line Its a great game though!
Well, I wasn't able to run the game yesterday. I hope I can today! It has been a rough week so far.

the line... the line... -sigh-

Here is our guest commentator, who will discuss what he was thinking during his winning game. So here's their game:

Guess 1: 432
Result: 1 hit, 1 near, 1 miss

Guess 2: 425

Guess 3: 412
Result: 1 hit, 2 near

Guess 4: 421
Result: 3 near

Guess 5: 142
Result: 3 hits!

Power to the Players!
Old 03-16-2006, 03:13 AM
Registered+

Adventureally is spinning in a Cursed Storm
this idea is one of the best i've ever seen ...i actually heard about the game after my sister (LilAdventureA) was excited and told me that she won...i never got the chance to play but i will definatley look for your game
Old 03-16-2006, 12:47 PM
aka Priz
Awards Showcase

Game Results - 15 March 2006

The biggest problem with running a game, in my opinion, is that it is filled with highs and lows. There are always some great moments - when people win, the great conversations, the cheering and the fun. There are usually some frustrating moments - the disconnects, people who don't really "get" the game and waste everyones time (including their own), running out of time.

Yesterday was filled with both of those in plenty.

I was able to run the game for only a bit over an hour, and got 14 games going during that time.

There were no winners, which is horribly dissapointing. Several people were able to get two right fairly early on, but then didn't listen to those clues - and blew it by the end.

Sure there are positives - several people really seemed excited to play, and I'm terribly terribly sorry I had to leave just before it was their turn. Even people who lost, one of whom really didn't try, at least claimed they had fun.

And I want to take this moment to thank Krisco, who VERY graciously donated a green pirates chair to help complete the collection. I like it when everything looks right, and now it finally does.

In todays example, we will see someone trying, but who was disconnected before they finished. They made several mistakes along the way, but even so there were a lot of lessons learned.

Guess 1: 552
This is one of the best things you can get this early. We now know that both 5 and 2 are completely wrong.

Guess 2: 214
The miss shouldn't be a surprise, since we knew the 2 was wrong. This gives us something we needed to know - that 1 and 4 are correct, and we've narrowed down where they can be. This was also a good result.

Guess 3: 111
Result: 1 hit, 2 miss
I was originally going to say this was a useless guess, but really it isn't. It tells us something we didn't know before - 1 was not repeated. So either the 4 is repeated or we have a 3 somewhere.

Guess 4: 153
Very very useful information. We know the 1 is in the wrong place. The 3 we know must be good. I might have done the 4 instead of the 5, trying to guess its location, but we'll see if we can do something with this.

At this point - the person was disconnected,and so never made a final guess. Let's see if anyone can both figure out the result and explain exactly why it is that result. (Here is your way to play without waiting in line! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurereally
this idea is one of the best i've ever seen ...i actually heard about the game after my sister (LilAdventureA) was excited and told me that she won...i never got the chance to play but i will definatley look for your game
Yes, your sister was finally able to win on the 12th, on her fourth try playing the game! (Including two disconnects.) Quite honestly, I'm impressed she came back after so many problems.

This amazes me. I know I have fun running the game. It surprises me that so many people have so much fun mostly waiting to play!

I really hope I'll be able to open again tonight, and even more hopeful I'll be able to stay around running it for a few hours. I hope you come by and try to listen to the spirits!

Power to the Players!
Old 03-16-2006, 01:24 PM
Yum, Yum , Yum.... Pop!

Hens is spinning in a Cursed Storm
cool game ( too short of post)
Old 03-17-2006, 01:13 PM
aka Priz
Awards Showcase

Game Results - 16 March 2006

What an incredible night! I was able to find plenty of time to run the game, and it looks like the luck of the Irish descended upon us early! Of the 52 games, we had an amazing 24 winners! And although we had 8 people who almost got it on the first try, we finally had the first person who guessed it correctly right out of the gate - congratulations to lucky DisChiq!

Here is the full list of 24 winners last night:
  • KassyDMc (4 guesses)
  • DisChiq (5 guesses)
  • friendswithall (5 guesses)
  • DisChiq (1 guesses)
  • Tykef (5 guesses)
  • LAdyRaiders (5 guesses)
  • magicwingedyohsi (4 guesses)
  • AceAcesweetaman (4 guesses)
  • Adventureally (5 guesses)
  • isuperheartme (3 guesses)
  • DisChiq (4 guesses)
  • LittleAdventureA (5 guesses)
  • dangerman (4 guesses)
  • schmoofy (5 guesses)
  • DisChiq (5 guesses)
  • astroarwen (4 guesses)
  • jallicio (2 guesses)
  • Golfguy (3 guesses)
  • Griffindor_Boy (3 guesses)
  • tabbyCoolKat (4 guesses)
  • DeltaFlight (5 guesses)
  • JennyIsSlapHappy (3 guesses)
  • sakusan (4 guesses)
  • ResidentPixie (4 guesses)

We had surprisingly few disconnects as well, but those that we did have were particularly dissapointing. One person came in loudly complaining that I should let them back in immediately to play. I wish I could! I felt really bad about it. "If you really felt bad, you would let me in." -sigh-

The most memorable quote from the evening: "Oh! The evil pumpkins!"

Today's profiled game was... well... interesting. The person insisted their strategy would work, although it only worked half the time they tried it. I'm going to show both games, and point out how they could have improved the strategy.

Guess 1: 111

Guess 2: 222

Guess 3: 333
Do you see where this is going?

Guess 4: 444
Ok, so now we know exactly what the numbers are going to be, but we will have to take a complete guess where they are.

Guess 5: 544
Result: 1 hit, 2 near
There were only two possible results, this one or the win.

Answer: 454

For their next game, they tried the same strategy, although with slightly different numbers. The results were slightly better too.

Guess 1: 111
At least we got something on the first try!

Guess 2: 444
I'm not sure why the player skipped 2 and 3, but they did. What really confuses me is that it would have been better to try and locate where the 1 would be located while you're trying to find the other numbers, instead of having to guess at the end.

Guess 3: 333

Guess 4: 555
So once again we get to the last guess, knowing only which numbers are in play, but having no idea what order they are in. It will be another total guess.

Guess 5: 122
Result: 3 hits!
The guess paid off this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hens
cool game ( too short of post)
Rather than posting a short post, perhaps you could say what you find cool about it.

Well, perhaps they will be Irish spirits tonight, and we'll have even more great winners. Hope to see you again tonight and this weekend, when I'll hopefully be open. Have a McDisney day!

Power to the Players!
Old 03-18-2006, 02:33 PM
aka Priz
Awards Showcase

Game Results - 17 March 2006

I had to go to my corned beef and cabbage last night, so I only had an hour to play. It was also a pretty quiet night - didn't get a lot of people coming in. But in the hour I was there we had 10 games, and 8 people won those games:
  • LittleAdventureA (4 guesses)
  • Bog.Frog (5 guesses)
  • Guest2311930 (5 guesses)
  • ChewBracha (5 guesses)
  • Tykef (3 guesses)
  • thecoolthecool (5 guesses)
  • yellowchimp (3 guesses)
  • CL_LuxoJr (3 guesses)

3 of these had two matches on their first try, so overall it was a pretty lucky evening for people.

Let's look at one of these. The player did ultimately win, but had a little problem figuring it out. They thought their last guess was a real guess - let's see why they should have known they had really won.

Guess 1: 555
This is getting to be a popular kind of first guess, it seems. That's fine. As long as you know what to do with the results. They even got lucky that they found it on the first try.

Guess 2: 545
Result: 1 hit, 1 near, 1 miss
Clearly this person had read my last examples, and was taking the message to heart. Since they knew two 5s were correct, they went to figure out where they were and what the other scoreboard was. This guess tells them two things: (1) where the 5s were (2) that 4 isn't the other value

Guess 3: 553
Ok, so it isn't 3.

Guess 4: 552
And it isn't 2.

Now, at this point the person stopped and tried to think. This was kinda frustrating for me, partly because I needed to leave soon, and partly because the answer should have been very obvious. Do you see why?

They didn't know if it was 1, 3, or 4. We know it isn't 3 because we tested that. We know it isn't 4 because, although we didn't test it in this place, guess 2 only had two that were hits or near, and we are using both of those 5s. So it must be 1! Perhaps they were messing with us.

Guess 5: 551
Results: 3 hits!

That's all for now. Hope I'll be able to run it a decent ammount this weekend, and I hope y'all come on down to play. See you then!

Power to the Players!
Old 03-19-2006, 01:33 PM
aka Priz
Awards Showcase

Game Information - Numbers, part 1

I didn't have any time to play yesterday, so I wasn't able to run the game. Since I have no new results to announced, I thought I'd explore some of the numbers behind the game.

There will be a little bit of math - but I hope you may find it fun anyway. If you have any questions about what I'm explaining, please ask!

The most basic number, of course, is how many possible answers there can be. We have three scoreboards, each with five possible settings. Each scoreboard is completely independent of each other (so we can repeat settings), and order is important.

So we can figure out the number of patterns with 5 x 5 x 5 = 125.

"So what?" Well, this means that if you were trying to guess the pattern with no other information (which you are on your first guess), you have a 1 in 125 chance of getting it right. So, on average, every 125 people or so, one person will get it right on the first try.

So far, we have had 230 games, with only 1 person getting it right on the first try. If this holds, we should get our second person within the next few days.

The other interesitng question is if there are any numbers that are better than any other. There shouldn't be, of course. At this point in the game, each of the 125 possible answers should have been seen once or twice. But in reality, this isn't quite true. There are 21 answers that have never been seen, and one answer that has been seen six times. I'll update these numbers in a future installment, to see if things even out any more.

More math another time - I'll let you digest this and ask questions.

Perhaps I'll be able to run the game today - I certainly hope so! See you on the riverboat!

Power to the Players!
Old 03-19-2006, 01:38 PM
Trader

My Mood: Sunshine
Dizznygrl has disabled reputation
Hey, Priz, if I remember college Statistics correctly, each combination has the same PROBABILITY of occurring, but that doesn't mean you will get all 125 in 125 tries. The odds are exactly the same for each occurrence. So it isn't all that unusual that you've had some repeats and some no shows. Obviously, the more occurrences there are, the more the combinations will even out.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:07 PM
aka Priz
Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL_Dizznygrl
Hey, Priz, if I remember college Statistics correctly, each combination has the same PROBABILITY of occurring, but that doesn't mean you will get all 125 in 125 tries. The odds are exactly the same for each occurrence. So it isn't all that unusual that you've had some repeats and some no shows. Obviously, the more occurrences there are, the more the combinations will even out.
This is true. And thank you very much for clarifying this! What I should have said was something more like:

On average, we would expect to have seen each number once or twice. But reality doesn't always work the way math expects us to. In reality, there are 21 we have never seen, and 1 that we have seen six times.

Now, it may be luck that causes this. For example - it is very unlikely that you will flip a fair coin and it will come out heads 100 times in a row. It is possible! Just very unlikely.

So, how likely is it that we've never seen 1/6 of the answers come up? It isn't too bad (no, I'm not going to do the math to explain it in detail), but it does begin to ask the question if the way I pick the answer is truly random. As we collect more data, we'll find out just how random things might be.

Power to the Players!
Old 03-20-2006, 12:27 AM
Noise amongst the static
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Signature Donation Award 
Total Awards: 3

My Mood: SaveVMK
LordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Well, I've rarely been able to play any of them, but I must say: I am quite a fan of your games (and clock, lol). I really like the idea of making players think, as opposed to races or tests of luck; and I think you definately are making players work for their wins. Quite fun from the audience standpoint too. I'm unsure which is more suspenseful: whether the current player will guess correctly, or if you'll get disconnected before you find out! (I've been disconnected 3 times in a row and counting! W00t!... ahem...)

Anyway, I'm really looking forwards to playing this
Old 03-20-2006, 04:44 AM
Trader

My Mood: Sunshine
Dizznygrl has disabled reputation
Have you told us yet how you're picking the answer? Some computer generated random program?
Old 03-20-2006, 12:54 PM
aka Priz
Awards Showcase

Game Results - 19 March 2006

Well, I was able to get seven games started yesterday until the VMK black out. An absolutely incredible turnout! I hadn't even finished inviting people and the room was full. Wish we had been able to play more.

Of the seven, we had three winners:
  • WildcatHFRS (2 guesses)
  • bluedudeman (5 guesses)
  • CL_froghopper (2 guesses)

We also had one person who had gotten two right on the first guess.

Let's look at that game and see what happened

Guess 1: 235

Guess 2: 231
Very very useful. We know the 5 is correct, and in the third place. We know the 1 is wrong, and not anywhere. Either the 2 or the 3 has to go, but we don't know which yet.

Guess 3: 245
Even more useful information! We know the 5 is correct, so that was our hit. The 2 and 4 must be wrong. So we know the 3 in the first guess is correct. Since 1, 2, and 4 are all wrong, we know the first position must be a 3 or a 5. We can get figure this out in the next two guesses.

Guess 4: 335
We know the 3 and 5 in the second and third positions are right, so the first positionmust be wrong. That leaves 5 to go there. We'll get it!

Guess 5: 135
Or not...

Answer: 535

And now, your comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordIllidan
I really like the idea of making players think, as opposed to races or tests of luck; and I think you definately are making players work for their wins.
You make it sound like it is so difficult! Yes, it is a challenge - but its a good challenge! And I think its better work than working hard to get into a staff game, for example. Tho I guess my awards aren't quite as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordIllidan
Quite fun from the audience standpoint too. I'm unsure which is more suspenseful: whether the current player will guess correctly, or if you'll get disconnected before you find out!
This is definately not one of the things I was aiming for in the game. I was really expecting that they would have these disconnect problems either fixed or worked around.

I think I need to find a better solution to the dc issue, but everything I come up with involves a lot more work on my part, and a lot more frustrations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL_Dizznygrl
Have you told us yet how you're picking the answer? Some computer generated random program?
No, I haven't. But yes, I'm using a computer program to generate the results. This is actually a significant departure from the real Master Mind game, where it can be a battle of the wills - where the master is trying to come up with something to confuse the player. I'm more neutral here - every player has an equal chance (in theory) of getting either "555" or "124".

Hopefully we'll have a pleasant time playing today. Till then, take care everyone!

Power to the Players!