Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > Project: SAVE VMK!

Project: SAVE VMK! General Discussion about VMK closing!

Old 4/07/08 - Yavn Speaks: VMK CLOSES FOR GOOD!

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:42 AM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

slinkyman is floating through Inner Space
4/07/08 - Yavn Speaks: VMK CLOSES FOR GOOD!

Don't miss this important message from Yavn about the future of VMK.

I hope you're enjoying our Topsy Turvy ToonTown month. We've got more cool events on the way including chances to win 14-day unlimited trial memberships to ToonTown Online!

Topsy Turvy ToonTown month won't last forever – so get to building some Topsy Turvy Guest Rooms, Game Rooms and Quests!

Speaking of things lasting forever, recently several of you have been asking about how much longer VMK will last. Well today I have some news about our future.

As many of you know, Virtual Magic Kingdom was created and launched back in 2005 as part of the Disneyland 50th Anniversary Celebration. VMK exceeded expectations in terms of performance, and as a result we extended the promotion (that is, VMK, the game) well beyond the 50th Celebration.

Eventually though, all promotions must come to an end, so I'm announcing today that on May 21, 2008, VMK will open our virtual gates for the last time. You read that right: VMK was never intended to last forever we'll close the game for good at the end of day on May 21st, 2008.

This is not an April Fool's joke.

Now we understand this news may be upsetting to you but let me explain. Again, VMK was launched as part of Disneyland's 50th Celebration in 2005 and the game has lived well beyond the originally intended time it was planned to run.

Over time you've seen our in-Park presence and other parts of VMK go away. You may remember our V.I.P Tours at Disneyland and Walt Disney World, or our in-Park Quest. We didn't stop doing those things because we don't love the game or our Guests, but because the time to run those promotions ended.

At Disney we're still committed to building communities and online virtual worlds and we're looking forward to providing you the opportunity to enjoy other exciting new experiences.

Don't look at VMK ending as a bad thing think of it as a new beginning, a chance to explore something fresh and new! Think of it like school: You don't want to leave your old friends, but still, the time has come to graduate and move onto another great adventure.

In the time since we've launched VMK, we've seen many players come and go, and we're hoping you will graduate from VMK too in particular, to games like Pirates of the Caribbean Online, Disney's ToonTown Online, Club Penguin and the upcoming Fairies and Cars online virtual worlds. We think you'll find you enjoy those just as much as VMK – if not more.

Live the Legend! Play Pirates of the Caribbean Online!

In the meantime, VMK will run like it always has, with great events and new items every week until we close we might even fit in one or two more surprises along the way (of the virtual item kind).
So what's going to happen to the VMK Staff when VMK closes? Well, we're all moving onto other projects here at Disney and positively looking ahead to the future. Me and a few other team members have already moved to other projects (but are still making sure VMK is running smoothly until it closes).

I know that this is sad news for you, but we're all thankful we've had the opportunity to enjoy the game for as long as we did. Just know there are even cooler things on the horizon ahead, for you as players and for us as game creators. So as my good friend Captain Jack Sparrow would say... "Bring me that horizon!"
-Yavn

Questions? We've prepared this Q&A:

Why is this happening? Why are you closing Virtual Magic Kingdom?
As Yavn mentioned in the Newsletter, VMK was created and launched as part of a promotion to celebrate Disneyland's 50th Anniversary.
The game/promotion has ran well beyond the original time it was intended to.

When is the last time I can play? The game will close at 10:00PM PST, Wednesday, May 21st, 2008.

Will I still be able to buy cards and pins in the Parks?
Yes, you can still buy VMK Cards and Pins at Disneyland and Walt Disney World Parks while supplies last but after May 21st, 2008 the codes will no longer work in the game.

What will happen to the game and the website?
The website will remain up for a few weeks to let people know what has happened, but you will not be able to log into the game after May 21th, 2008.

What will happen to all my virtual stuff in VMK?
Since the virtual items live only in VMK, you won't be able to access your VMK items or take them with you to another Disney Online Virtual World.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:44 AM

Nedakh has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundNedakh has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundNedakh has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Unhappy Breaking News: VMK comes to end on 5/21/08

VMK will cease to operate and close its virtual gates on May 21st, 2008 at 10PM PST!
Old 04-08-2008, 12:44 AM
Go visit the wiki! ;)
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award 2010 Happy St. Patrick's Day 2010 Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award 
Total Awards: 10

VIP
TravisSch ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureTravisSch ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureTravisSch ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureTravisSch ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureTravisSch ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureTravisSch ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
OMG! No. I didn't want to see this day come!

Check out my VMK memory that was featured in the VMK Newsletter right here.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:45 AM
WDW lover :)
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award Halloween'11 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 
Total Awards: 26

My Mood: Disney
GoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
This has to be an apirl fools day joke. It just has to be!
Bird - The one and only.
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

TheBird is as Frosty as a Snowman
No! Why are they doing this to us? Most of the people here on VMKF call VMK our home away from home, what will we do with our VMK time?
oooh. wowiieee
Awards Showcase
Arcade Winner Expert Relocator Participants Award Arcade Winner Mod Match Winners Happy St. Patrick's Day Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 6

My Mood: Baffled
Mintypal is spinning in a Cursed Storm
vmk is closing? or no accounts will be accepted?
Old 04-08-2008, 12:46 AM
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 2

skip has disabled reputation
I know... I just saw the announcement, go to the login page to see folks.

Sad day indeed.

-Skip
Deal with it!
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Graphics Trio Award 
Total Awards: 23

Born In Park
My Mood: Evil
EtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with Confetti
All I can say is I am not surprised that yavn lied again. He said in a few newsletters back that vmk wasn't going to close for a long time and no look at this. Yavn just when I was starting to forgive you, you lie...
Is now a year older!!
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

princesgirl is spinning in a Cursed Storm
@_@ lol. I knew it wouldn't last.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:47 AM
oooh. wowiieee
Awards Showcase
Arcade Winner Expert Relocator Participants Award Arcade Winner Mod Match Winners Happy St. Patrick's Day Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 6

Mintypal is spinning in a Cursed Storm
tear tear Bye Bye vmk!
WDW lover :)
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award Halloween'11 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 
Total Awards: 26

My Mood: Disney
GoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
This is not fair! Since when did they say that this game wasn't going to last forever! I am seriously in tears right now. I mean, I have so much fun on VMK.
Hmm..
Awards Showcase
VMK Memories Award 

Born In Park VIP
My Mood: Sad
BelieveNTheMagic is floating through Inner Space
Wow.. that's horrible. I didn't expect to see vmk closing that soon. Now I see why they were promoting the other sites.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:48 AM
hmmm! (:
Awards Showcase
St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Trivia Winner Patriot 2010 Award Trivia Winner Happy Valentine's Day Trivia Winner Happy Holidays'09 Award 
Total Awards: 20

My Mood: Woah
Pink_Bink is covered with ConfettiPink_Bink is covered with ConfettiPink_Bink is covered with Confetti
aw!!! Im going to miss VMK!!
VMK has some of my closest friends I have ever met!
It's a home away from home!

- Pink

:'(
Old 04-08-2008, 12:49 AM
Trader
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Award Patriot 2010 Award Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award Halloween '09 Award Patriot 2009 Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Participants Award 
Total Awards: 11

Born In Park
awsomered is spinning in a Cursed Storm
this stinks
Old 04-08-2008, 12:49 AM
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Private Message Donation Award 
Total Awards: 2

NASAMan is covered with ConfettiNASAMan is covered with ConfettiNASAMan is covered with Confetti
Get ready for the Great Egress! Time to head for the Monorail back to the parking lot. Have a safe ride home!

CL_NASAMan on VMK AKA 'Rocket' or 'RocketBoy'