Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > VMK Gaming Archived Forums > VMK Players Discussion

VMK Players Discussion General VMK Gaming Discussions which doesn't fit anywhere else.

Old eBay Bans Auctions Of Digital Goods

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Basamento Di Scossa

PixelProphet has turned into a sparkling Pirate!PixelProphet has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
eBay Bans Auctions Of Digital Goods

http://techdirt.com/articles/20080328/014049683.shtml

eBay Bans Auctions Of Digital Goods
from the another-market-mucked-up-by-digital-goods dept
We've pointed out more than a few times how digital goods muck up traditional markets that are based on the concept of scarcity, and it appears that eBay has come to the same conclusion. It's now banned the direct sale of purely digital goods from either its auctions or its direct sales offerings. Instead, those who want to sell digital goods need to put up a classified ad on the site, rather than a transactional platform. The basic reason has to do with the (wouldn't you know it?) infinitely reproduceable nature of digital goods. That allows eBay sellers to list the same product many, many, many times over, since they have an infinite supply. This practice is screwing up listings and (more importantly) is being used to manipulate feedback ratings, and so eBay has done away with it.

No more selling those 'rare' skeleton at the helms for money people...
Old 04-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Bizzlebits Haha
Awards Showcase
Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Epitaph Participant's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Patriot 2010 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award 2010 
Total Awards: 26

Here Since Day 1
My Mood: VMK
Baconbits is floating through Inner Space
oh well that's too bad. I really don't care lol
Old 04-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Doodoodoodoo
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

2starTagregory is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Wow. Disney is a wreck. And Im glad you can tradce unused cards still tho
Old 04-03-2008, 01:11 PM
WDW lover :)
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award Halloween'11 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 

My Mood: Disney
GoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
To many words. I don't understand, Will a person please make it into easier terms?
Old 04-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Trader

goofy_bout_mickey is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I believe what they are talking about when they say "digital items" is stuff like spoiler sheets, handbooks, and directions on how to do stuff, not VMK items. You can still trade cards with codes on Ebay. You just can't sell an item that would require a meeting in game to receive it. This has been the case since last year.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:15 PM
WDW lover :)
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award Halloween'11 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 

My Mood: Disney
GoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy_bout_mickey View Post
I believe what they are talking about when they say "digital items" is stuff like spoiler sheets, handbooks, and directions on how to do stuff, not VMK items. You can still trade cards with codes on Ebay. You just can't sell an item that would require a meeting in game to receive it. This has been the case since last year.
Yay! Thank you for putting it into easy terms for me.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Trader
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Award Patriot 2010 Award Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award Halloween '09 Award Patriot 2009 Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Participants Award 
Total Awards: 11

Born In Park
My Mood: Baffled
awsomered is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy_bout_mickey View Post
some people have been selling like red white and blue hats and I've seen a cowboy hat on there too. they would meet with people and this caused serious scams.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Walt Disney World
Awards Showcase
VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day 

WDWTigger72 is as Frosty as a Snowman
Too funny, Digital Copyrights (I believe that is what it was) banned selling electronic items such as vmk ites on ebay a long time ago, except for physical trading cards since you physically sent them to people. They put that rule into place many years ago, but unfortunately never applied it until pretty much the last year. I cannot remember the exact rule but remember them pulling all digital items from many games, unless it was a collect card, stuffed animal, etc with a code...

"We understand that digital goods, by themselves, are not the cause of Feedback Manipulation, but clarity of policy and ease of enforcement require all digitally downloaded items to be offered via the Classified Ads format"

This quote was directly from the article on ebay (Q&A session) and I found it funny because through the article they where saying that digital goods where the cause and reason for change...Then this individual answered a specific question with the quote above, almost sounds like a vmk response Hahaha, couldn't help myself...

Anyways, How about doing away with people who sell counterfeit goods, or stolen goods...instead of feedback manipulation, I have always believed the feedback system there was a false sense of security anyways, and hopefully they clean up ebay...
Old 04-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

slinkyman is floating through Inner Space
I read something about this several months ago... so it's nothing new. Direct VMK items from inside the game itself is no longer allowed - however VMK Quest Cards are able to be auctioned off for money since they are a REAL ITEM. Also.. they could include:

***BONUS INFERNO MAGIC!!!***

People will always find a way around certain things.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Trader

goofy_bout_mickey is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by awsomered View Post
some people have been selling like red white and blue hats and I've seen a cowboy hat on there too. they would meet with people and this caused serious scams.
See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinkyman View Post
I read something about this several months ago... so it's nothing new. Direct VMK items from inside the game itself is no longer allowed - however VMK Quest Cards are able to be auctioned off for money since they are a REAL ITEM. Also.. they could include:

***BONUS INFERNO MAGIC!!!***

People will always find a way around certain things.
You're right. They put some little trinket or small value item in the listing and then include the bonus.