Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > VMK Remembered > VMK Remembered Archive

VMK Remembered Archive Archive for VMK Remembered forum.

Old I still don't understand...

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:32 PM
WWTBAM Fan!
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2010 Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award VMK Memories Award 2010 Crossword Puzzle Participant's Award Happy Holidays'09 Award Which Disney Character Participant's Award Golden Years Award 
Total Awards: 13

My Mood: SaveVMK
DocCalvin is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzBoy133 View Post
It cost too much to keep running.
It alone brought no profit.
I relied on promoting, and it didn't promote well enough.
They might've put a few shares on the stock market?
Old 08-02-2009, 11:55 PM
You've got a friend in me
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Winners Award Caption Contest Participant Happy Valentine's Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 8

My Mood: LiveChat
fantasyforever is as Frosty as a Snowman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillJacob View Post
Let's bring the Sulake contract issue (or Paramount signing with Sulake, causing Sulake to not be allowed to extend a contract with Disney) back to the table. Maybe it wasn't Disney who was embarrassed. Maybe Sulake was embarrassed and didn't want the blame, so they made it say that it was a promotion in the newsletter.
Agreed.
That could be the reason
Old 08-04-2009, 01:18 AM
Masked Cowboy
Awards Showcase
St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Epitaph Winner's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 
Total Awards: 49

VIP
My Mood: Happy
SoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing Inferno
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyforever View Post
There was obviously some other reason Disney did not want to explain because, either:
A) It would make the embarassed
or
B) Or make them hated.
Quote:
Let's bring the Sulake contract issue (or Paramount signing with Sulake, causing Sulake to not be allowed to extend a contract with Disney) back to the table. Maybe it wasn't Disney who was embarrassed. Maybe Sulake was embarrassed and didn't want the blame, so they made it say that it was a promotion in the newsletter.
Quote:
Agreed.
That could be the reason
Sulake was a subcontractor for WDPRO, meaning they (Sulake) signed a contract with WDPRO in order to complete certain tasks involving VMK (to my understanding they helped moderate the game). Now if problems arose where Sulake broke some terms of the contract, and WDPRO was held responsible, they could have hired another subcontractor to complete the desired work. But did they? No.

So whether or not WDPRO had contract problems with Sulake is irrelevant because WDPRO could have continued the game with a new company, but they chose not to. Why did they choose not to? Because Disney did not think VMK was making them money or had any financial potential.

Play trivia at #vmktrivia to win a purple scrolly!
Old 08-04-2009, 01:27 AM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
VMK Memories Award 
Total Awards: 1

VIP
ThrillJacob is as Frosty as a Snowman
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerRyan View Post
Sulake was a subcontractor for WDPRO, meaning they (Sulake) signed a contract with WDPRO in order to complete certain tasks involving VMK (to my understanding they helped moderate the game). Now if problems arose where Sulake broke some terms of the contract, and WDPRO was held responsible, they could have hired another subcontractor to complete the desired work. But did they? No.

So whether or not WDPRO had contract problems with Sulake is irrelevant because WDPRO could have continued the game with a new company, but they chose not to. Why did they choose not to? Because Disney did not think VMK was making them money or had any financial potential.
The engine was Sulake, so he game would need a complete overhaul to switch contractors.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:35 AM
You've got a friend in me
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Winners Award Caption Contest Participant Happy Valentine's Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 8

My Mood: LiveChat
fantasyforever is as Frosty as a Snowman
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerRyan View Post
Because Disney did not think VMK was making them money or had any financial potential.
I have yet to see proof.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:13 AM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
VMK Memories Award 

VIP
Quote:
I have yet to see proof.
My thinking (the original theory was posted by someone else on another forum):

Paramount signs with Sulake - January 2008
Sulake-Disney agreement ends May 2008

Disney started acting strange about VMK in January 2008. Releasing, retiring, re-releasing very quickly. Why? Sulake was done in May. Paramount would void the contract with Sulake if Disney extended the contract. What that meant? Sulake went to a bidding war. Whoever paid more kept the contract. Disney couldn't match Paramount and VMK was closed. That's where the financial issue comes into play.

Just speculation.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:39 AM
Here From Day 1
Awards Showcase
2010 Holiday Award Your Favorite Attraction Award Happy Holidays'09 Award Xmas Wishlist '09 
Total Awards: 4

Here Since Day 1
My Mood: Disney
zephr is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:

Disney started acting strange about VMK in January 2008. Releasing, retiring, re-releasing very quickly. Why? Sulake was done in May. Paramount would void the contract with Sulake if Disney extended the contract. What that meant? Sulake went to a bidding war. Whoever paid more kept the contract. Disney couldn't match Paramount and VMK was closed. That's where the financial issue comes into play.

Just speculation.
That's one of the most solid arguments I've yet heard. Where did you get the information that Paramount signed with Sulake, though? I've never heard that they did.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:18 AM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
VMK Memories Award 

VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephr View Post
That's one of the most solid arguments I've yet heard. Where did you get the information that Paramount signed with Sulake, though? I've never heard that they did.
Paramount did sign with Sulake, I think you can find it on the Sulake site (not sure.) The theory itself is by StarBP, I just put my own spin on it.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Deal with it!
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Graphics Trio Award 
Total Awards: 23

Born In Park
My Mood: Evil
EtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with Confetti
Quote:

Just speculation.
That is a wonderful theory, but there is a problem with it. Disney started showing signs of its closure around eight months before vmk closed(Such as newsletters coming less frequent, vmk central closing at DLR, vmk central closing at WDW, the community leader program ending, etc.). Something tells me that Disney told Saluke that vmk had one more year left, so Saluke signed with Paramount to replace the cash flow they received from Disney. Then again, I could be completely wrong.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:27 PM
WDW lover :)
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award Halloween'11 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 
Total Awards: 26

GoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
To tell you the truth, none of us understand. Disney has a lot of explaining to do.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Here From Day 1
Awards Showcase
2010 Holiday Award Your Favorite Attraction Award Happy Holidays'09 Award Xmas Wishlist '09 
Total Awards: 4

Here Since Day 1
zephr is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtnaGreen View Post
That is a wonderful theory, but there is a problem with it. Disney started showing signs of its closure around eight months before vmk closed(Such as newsletters coming less frequent, vmk central closing at DLR, vmk central closing at WDW, the community leader program ending, etc.). Something tells me that Disney told Saluke that vmk had one more year left, so Saluke signed with Paramount to replace the cash flow they received from Disney. Then again, I could be completely wrong.
That sounds valid too. Unfortunately, it brings us back to the basic mystery:

WHY?
Old 08-05-2009, 03:53 AM
Masked Cowboy
Awards Showcase
St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Epitaph Winner's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 

VIP
SoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing Inferno
Quote:

Just speculation.
Why would Paramount void the contract if Disney continued with Sulake? That doesn't make any sense. And January 2008 is not when Disney started acting "strange" about VMK; they discontinued quests in WDW before that. You mentioned earlier that VMK would need an overhaul to switch contractors. Whether that is true or not, Disney would have done it if they thought VMK was a money-making opportunity. Do you really think Disney would have dropped the idea of hiring a new subcontractor because of the necessity of an overhaul?

This theory takes 2 facts about Sulake and makes them seem connected using a probable story. It's believable if you readily accept that Paramount would drop Sulake's contract if Disney continued with Sulake. But that doesn't make any sense. Why can't two companies associate themselves with Sulake at the same time?

Quote:
I have yet to see proof.
Where's the proof for your theory? We don't have proof. Disney told us they closed VMK because it was just a promotion. Many people disagree with that and use logic to come up with a reason that they believe to be true. You don't think money was an issue in VMK's closing while I do. I'm using logic to defend my position. That is what this is, a battle of logic, a battle of theories.

Last edited by SoccerRyan; 08-05-2009 at 04:09 AM..
Old 08-05-2009, 08:08 AM
Red Flips Rule!
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award Halloween'10 Award 2010 Holiday Award Carol Parody Winner's Award Epitaph Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 39

VIP
My Mood: RedFlips
StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!
In all honesty, I highly doubt that anyone knows the real reason why VMK closed. I have a friend who works in WDIG and that came as a surprise to them as much to us. To my reasoning, at the end of a very long day, very long road, after a cup of coffee and a blueberry muffin - it did come down to money. Kind of. SoccerRyan has the closest theory to mine, so I think mixing them both gets you an accurate reason.

Disney is set into seperate divisions which I'm sure you are aware. Each division is responsible for their own staff and of course - their own money. Back in 2005, WDIG paid the lump sum for VMK to be made.

When VMK promoted the parks, people did that. Went to the parks. The money being earnt through VMK merchandise, park tickets, etc was not going in WDIG's pocket. They were not seeing any profits being made. WDIG worked their socks off for us to go to the parks, but they weren't getting thanked by our money. We gave our money to another devision. Because WDIG are the ones who believed in VMK, and were fully responsible for everything that goes on with it - they were faced with the dilema of paying x amount of money to pay "for VMK" in 2008.

Could they afford to? No. VMK wasn't making money for WDIG, hence it's closure. (It was however making money for other devisions, merchandise, tickets, etc - but Disiney doesn't work like that).

Believe it as you wish, but that's what I've been told by someone who works in IT, over lunch.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

My Mood: Awkward
jamiewe is spinning in a Cursed Storm
You guys do understand that certain difficulties arose with Sulake. Sulake were responsible for monitoring and maintaining VMK. The reason why VMK closed is because it wouldn't have been able to survive, as most people have said now it didn't make much of a profit. Most of the other Disney games generated money through advertising sales, sponsorships, subscriptions, and video game sales.
"Somehow, I can't believe that there are any heights to be scaled by a man who knows the secret of making dreams come true. The special secret it seems to me is summarized in four C's. They are Curiosity, Courage, Confidence and Constancy. And the greatest of all is Confidence. When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionably. " - Walter Elias Disney
Old 08-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Masked Cowboy
Awards Showcase

VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchMad View Post
In all honesty, I highly doubt that anyone knows the real reason why VMK closed. I have a friend who works in WDIG and that came as a surprise to them as much to us. To my reasoning, at the end of a very long day, very long road, after a cup of coffee and a blueberry muffin - it did come down to money. Kind of. SoccerRyan has the closest theory to mine, so I think mixing them both gets you an accurate reason.

Disney is set into seperate divisions which I'm sure you are aware. Each division is responsible for their own staff and of course - their own money. Back in 2005, WDIG paid the lump sum for VMK to be made.

When VMK promoted the parks, people did that. Went to the parks. The money being earnt through VMK merchandise, park tickets, etc was not going in WDIG's pocket. They were not seeing any profits being made. WDIG worked their socks off for us to go to the parks, but they weren't getting thanked by our money. We gave our money to another devision. Because WDIG are the ones who believed in VMK, and were fully responsible for everything that goes on with it - they were faced with the dilema of paying x amount of money to pay "for VMK" in 2008.

Could they afford to? No. VMK wasn't making money for WDIG, hence it's closure. (It was however making money for other devisions, merchandise, tickets, etc - but Disiney doesn't work like that).

Believe it as you wish, but that's what I've been told by someone who works in IT, over lunch.
I agree here. Now I just want to put a little spin on it.

Unlike in their other pay-to-play online games, VMK was not bringing in money directly to the WDIG. However, it was making money for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, which helped develop the game. So, after communicating with WDPR about what they thought VMK's influence was on revenue, WDIG decided that VMK did not have the potential to be a financially successful pay-to-play game and so it was closed. Does this sound probable?