Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Magic Kingdoms > Walt Disney World

Walt Disney World I went to Florida and all I got was this stupid T-shirt with a mouse on it...

Old Star Tours Now Arriving Daily

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:54 AM
Aug 2005-May 21, 2008
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Award Halloween'11 Award EKB Day Award Make A Wish Award Happy Valentine's Day 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Patriot 2010 Award 
Total Awards: 13

My Mood: Fluffy
Miketic is floating through Inner Space
New Themed Land in Animal Kingdom

On the DisneyParks Blog yesterday, they posted a huge and unexpected announcement. They're creating a new themed land at Disney's Animal Kingdom with their new partner James Cameron and his famous movie,

Random? Yes. Want proof that this isn't a joke, look on their blog here: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...-disney-parks/

But for those who just want to know more, here's the entire blog on the questions they have answered. You can also read this on their blog here as well: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...-disney-parks/

I’d like to thank all of the Disney Parks Blog followers who left comments or sent in questions regarding our AVATAR announcement today. We got a lot of great questions and while I won’t be able to answer all of them, I’ll do my best to get to as many as possible.

1) TIMING
We got quite a few questions about the timing of our first AVATAR experience at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, including this one from Adam, “Any idea when the experience will be open to guests?”
We’ve just begun the design phase on our Animal Kingdom project and we expect to begin construction in 2013. From start to finish, a project of this size and scope takes about 5 years to design and build. We can’t give you an exact date but we know that when it’s complete, it’s going to be a truly unforgettable experience.

2) IS THIS A PARK EXPANSION OR WILL “LAND” REPLACE SOMETHING?
Several of you asked a similar question, including Doug from Utah – “Will it replace any existing attractions in Animal Kingdom, or will it be built in a new parcel of land within the park’s boundaries?”
Well, Doug, we’re just beginning the Blue Sky process so I don’t have much to share about how we are going to execute our vision for our first AVATAR land but we’re focused on this being an important addition to Disney’s Animal Kingdom. I look forward to sharing more details as our plans progress.

3) SPECIFIC ATTRACTIONS
Jenna from Winnetka, Ill., asks, “What types of attractions will be in AVATAR land?”
This was hands-down one of the most popular questions we got and understandably so. While we’re still in the very early stages of design and planning, we expect this land to be anchored by multiple attractions, entertainment, merchandise locations, restaurants and other immersive elements. Our AVATAR lands will give guests the chance to see, hear and touch the world of Pandora and we can’t wait to dive in with James Cameron and his team as we create new experiences that will delight and thrill our guests.

4) FILM IS PG-13, HOW DOES THIS MATCH W/FAMILY-FRIENDLY PARK?
Some of you, including Logan in Carnesville, Ga., asked about whether AVATAR was a good fit for a family-friendly brand like Disney.
Thanks, Logan, I appreciate your candor in asking this question. At its core, AVATAR is a film that embraces strong, positive themes of family, loyalty, living in harmony with nature and belief in oneself – all values that we share at The Walt Disney Company. You can be sure that these are the same themes that we will explore throughout our AVATAR lands. They will be places where friends and families can spend time together getting lost in a fantasy world, one of the true hallmarks of any Disney theme park experience. And with two sequels in the works, we feel this is a creative property whose potential is limitless.

5) AVATAR AT OTHER DISNEY PARKS?
We got several questions about whether there will be AVATAR experiences in parks/sites other than Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Kyle from Ontario asks, “Are there plans to add Avatar attractions at any other Disney parks?”
Well, Kyle, the only land we are announcing today is at Walt Disney World Resort but AVATAR is a possibility at any of our other locations. The first film AVATAR is a franchise with massive global appeal and its success at the box office both inside and outside of the U.S. – I should also note that as we determine our future locations, we look forward to working with our international theme park partners as our plans evolve.

6) ATTRACTION THEMING
Many of you, including Justin from Orlando, want to know, “How does AVATAR fit in with the Disney theme?” and more specifically, how does it fit in with the Animal Kingdom?
As I mentioned in a previous answer, AVATAR is a uniquely powerful franchise that has global appeal with audiences of all ages. With its spectacular settings, intriguing characters, imaginative creatures and strong themes of family and loyalty, it’s a great fit for the Disney brand and our parks.
Disney’s Animal Kingdom is the perfect place for our first AVATAR land because at its core, the park gives guests the opportunity to experience the worlds of animals and nature – real and mythical – in whole new ways. With AVATAR, we’ve found the perfect opportunity to let our guests explore one of the most compelling mythical worlds ever conceived. Animal Kingdom also celebrates adventure, living in harmony with nature and environmental stewardship – themes that are deeply rooted in the story of AVATAR.

7) WHY BUY SOMEONE ELSE’S IDEA INSTEAD OF LETTING WDI COME UP WITH SOMETHING?
Some of you asked why we would choose to collaborate with an outside partner rather than use our own Disney characters and stories to expand the parks. We are as committed as ever to creating attractions and entertainment around favorite Disney characters and stories – with Cars Land at Disney California Adventure park and our expansion of Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Park being two great examples. At the same time, we like to look beyond our own walls at non-Disney properties, like STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES, creating some of our most popular attractions. At the end of the day, we are focused on creating a great experience for our guests and I truly believe that this unique partnership with James Cameron and AVATAR gives us an entire world of imaginative creatures, fascinating locations and intriguing characters with which to do that.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:22 AM
i am a sloth.
Awards Showcase
Arcade Winner Xmas Wishlist '09 Golden Years Award Smilie Story: The Beach Winner Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Design a Pin Participation's Award Patriot 2009 Award Expert Relocator Participants Award 
Total Awards: 15

Born In Park
My Mood: PandaExpress
Friez is Buried in TreasureFriez is Buried in TreasureFriez is Buried in Treasure
I've never really been a fan of Avatar but I guess it could be interesting. Let's just hope that the attractions aren't as long as the movie.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:16 PM
the ground is falling.
Awards Showcase
2010 Holiday Award Graphics Trio Award Patriot 2010 Award Happy Valentine's Day Guess the Picture Winner's Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Happy Holidays'09 Award Xmas Wishlist '09 

My Mood: Insomnious
GryfindorGal is floating through Inner Space
I'm interested to see what they do, but (and maybe I'm the only one who feels this way) that movie was terrible. Just. No. Not a good idea, Disney, I don't get it. I don't understand how it will fit into Disney.

p.s. if they were going to buy rights to a movie franchise they should have jumped at Potter - bad business decision, imo (regardless of my feelings for the series).

It's funny how the words we never say/can turn into the only thoughts we know
So if you hear this song on the radio/I've said it now and there's no turning back

myshop myuserpage myprofile
music: monday morning - death cab for cutie
Old 09-25-2011, 03:43 AM
WDW lover :)
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award Halloween'11 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 
Total Awards: 26

My Mood: Disney
GoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryfindorGal View Post
p.s. if they were going to buy rights to a movie franchise they should have jumped at Potter - bad business decision, imo (regardless of my feelings for the series).
I agree 100%. Why they let that opportunity slip through their fingers is beyond me. Obviously, Avatarland (or whatever they're going to officially call it) is going to be Disney's way of competing with The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal. I really don't think it is going to compare. Harry Potter has had more than ten years to build a fanbase from both the books and the movies, and the commitment of the fans show that Harry Potter's success is not going to pass away anytime soon. Avatar, however, is one movie. So far, just one. I know they're going to have sequels, but they haven't even been made yet, so who's saying they're going to be successful? I wonder why they would put so much faith into what seems (to me, at least) like a temporary success.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Deal with it!
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Graphics Trio Award 
Total Awards: 23

Born In Park
My Mood: Evil
EtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with Confetti
This idea just seems completely ridiculous. I realize that the film had tremendous success, but I feel like the success of one film isn't good enough to put in a new land. I am assuming most lands are built to last at least twenty years. In twenty ears I highly doubt anyone will remember Avatar. I guess I wouldn't have such a problem with it, if it was actually a Disney film.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:55 PM
I <3 Disneyland
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Halloween'10 Award 2010 Holiday Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 
Total Awards: 18

Born In Park Clan Leader Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: BDay
Broccolisprout is floating through Inner Space
Avatar was a new expansion in movie-making territory... 90% of the movie was done on green-screen with motion capture lenses/microphones on the actors. 60% of the movie was done as computer-generated elements, and 40% was done as live action. It was also the highest-grossing movie ever made in the US, Canada, and worldwide. It was nominated for 9 Academy Awards, and it broke the record for most DVD/Blu-ray sales, making it the top selling Blu-ray of all time. Plus, they're planning two sequels, and while I think sequels are never as good as the original, I think it'll be around for awhile yet.

But anyways, I'm not 100% excited for this... partially because I never saw Avatar.... partially because of the PG-13 rating.

Broccolisprout, 2005-2008
Old 09-30-2011, 10:50 PM
the ground is falling.
Awards Showcase
2010 Holiday Award Graphics Trio Award Patriot 2010 Award Happy Valentine's Day Guess the Picture Winner's Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Happy Holidays'09 Award Xmas Wishlist '09 

My Mood: Insomnious
GryfindorGal is floating through Inner Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodPolarGirl View Post
I agree 100%. Why they let that opportunity slip through their fingers is beyond me. Obviously, Avatarland (or whatever they're going to officially call it) is going to be Disney's way of competing with The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal. I really don't think it is going to compare. Harry Potter has had more than ten years to build a fanbase from both the books and the movies, and the commitment of the fans show that Harry Potter's success is not going to pass away anytime soon. Avatar, however, is one movie. So far, just one. I know they're going to have sequels, but they haven't even been made yet, so who's saying they're going to be successful? I wonder why they would put so much faith into what seems (to me, at least) like a temporary success.
"Avatarland" made me laugh so hard. LOL.

But yeah, speaking as a huge Disney fan, I think it says something that last year was the first year in 10 years that I went to Universal instead of Disney when I travelled to Orlando… That's just weird for me. I think this decision makes Disney look reaaaallly desperate. (Which they aren't. Or, they shouldn't be, at least). Like behind the scenes they were saying, "Hurry! We must compete with WWOHP! Huuuuurrrryyy!"

Also, I'm so sad they didn't pick up HP. I think we can all agree that Universal isn't as fantastic as Disney - Disney makes the experience feel real. When I went to Wizarding World, and I was looking up at the ceiling of Ollivander's, all I could think was, "man, Disney would have at least painted the ceiling."

It's funny how the words we never say/can turn into the only thoughts we know
So if you hear this song on the radio/I've said it now and there's no turning back

myshop myuserpage myprofile
music: monday morning - death cab for cutie
Old 10-01-2011, 09:51 PM
WDW lover :)
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award Halloween'11 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 
Total Awards: 26

My Mood: Disney
GoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryfindorGal View Post
Also, I'm so sad they didn't pick up HP. I think we can all agree that Universal isn't as fantastic as Disney - Disney makes the experience feel real. When I went to Wizarding World, and I was looking up at the ceiling of Ollivander's, all I could think was, "man, Disney would have at least painted the ceiling."
Haha, I know what you mean. I haven't been to the WWOHP yet. Actually, I haven't been to Universal since I was a baby, and that was just to see Barney. But, I have been looking at the WWOHP's official site, and while it looks okay, I couldn't help but think about all of the cool things Disney could have done with it. I mean, can you believe that put in Zonko's joke shop instead of Weasley's Wizard Wheezes? I mean, it's WWW, for crying out loud! I know that according to the books, it's in Diagon Alley. . .but Ollivander's is too, and Hogsmeade at WWOHP has one of them!
Old 01-09-2012, 07:00 AM
VMKF's WDW Expert-Nerd
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Carol Parody Winner's Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Patriot 2010 Award 
Total Awards: 30

VIP
My Mood: Stitch-ish
Stitchco has turned into a sparkling Pirate!Stitchco has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
Technically it was JK Rowling's decision all along on whom she would give the rights to her books into a park to. She might've gone to Universal instead. I've been trying to dig up why Harry Potter went to Universal and cannot find any information on why Harry Potter is not at DHS or something but can't find any information as I've said...

Truthfully, I'm gonna have to wait to see their concept art before I judge as I did not like the movie that much.

-Stitchco
to StitchMad and Neoteny; to Batleth and EtnaGreen.
-Stitchco
Old 01-14-2012, 07:09 AM
Trivia Addict
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Make A Wish Award Trivia Winner Epitaph Participant's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 
Total Awards: 16

VIP
My Mood: Creative
bluedudeman has turned into a sparkling Pirate!bluedudeman has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
Definitely not excited about this, I cannot stand Avatar, I've never seen the movie, never want to see the movie... though I don't really enjoy Animal Kingdom either so I guess it is okay.