Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > Project: SAVE VMK!

Project: SAVE VMK! General Discussion about VMK closing!

Old Open VMK

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:24 AM
VMK forever.

Clan Leader
My Mood: Adventurous
MrBrandon is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Open VMK

So... it's not by Disney, but I assure you it's 100% like VMK and in beta.... go to the website and find out for yourself
Old 09-12-2013, 03:47 AM
Aug 2005-May 21, 2008
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Award Halloween'11 Award EKB Day Award Make A Wish Award Happy Valentine's Day 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Patriot 2010 Award 
Total Awards: 13

My Mood: Fluffy
Miketic is floating through Inner Space
Yup, still glitchy but it's better than nothing.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Trivia Addict
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Make A Wish Award Trivia Winner Epitaph Participant's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 
Total Awards: 16

VIP
My Mood: Creative
bluedudeman has turned into a sparkling Pirate!bluedudeman has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
I wonder how long it will last.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Retired Arcade Player
Awards Showcase
Arcade Winner Patriot 2009 Award Happy Valentine's Arcade Winner Joy To The World Arcade Winner 
Total Awards: 6

Born In Park
My Mood: Hopeful
BaseballStarz is spinning in a Cursed Storm
This is my only hope.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:46 PM
Registered+

My Mood: VMK
Gamecrazy is spinning in a Cursed Storm
As far as I can see it's the beginning of a new VMK, it's glitchy now but I believe most glitches will be fixed
Old 09-13-2013, 03:18 AM
Look over there --->
yumsse is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedudeman View Post
I wonder how long it will last.
Not long by my estimates. Some players seem to think that since they're not making money off of it, they can't be sued. Which is totally, utterly, completely wrong. I love VMK and I've been happily playing Open VMK on and off for the past week, but I'm also realistic and I know that the game violates so many copyright and trademark laws. Not to mention all the patents Disney holds on VMK.

I just wish they had made the game open source...

Last edited by yumsse; 09-13-2013 at 08:04 AM..
Old 09-13-2013, 03:21 AM
WDW lover :)
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award Halloween'11 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 
Total Awards: 26

My Mood: Disney
GoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumsse View Post
Not long by my estimates. Some players seem to think that since they're not making off of it, they can't be sued. Which is totally, utterly, completely wrong. I love VMK and I've been happily playing Open VMK on and off for the past week, but I'm also realistic and I know that game violates many copyright and trademark laws. Not to mention all the patents Disney holds on VMK.
I'm in the same boat. I'm incredibly impressed by what the makers have done with it so far, and I'm enjoying the time I've been able to spend on it (despite how many times I get disconnected), but I'm making it a point to not become attached.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:18 AM
Registered+

My Mood: VMK
Gamecrazy is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I asked Seth Mendelson (yavn) on facebook what his stance and what disney's stance was on Open VMK and he saw the message, but did not respond. My guess is they don't know what to think of it yet.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Trivia Addict
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Make A Wish Award Trivia Winner Epitaph Participant's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 

VIP
bluedudeman has turned into a sparkling Pirate!bluedudeman has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
I agree with everything said so far. I'm enjoying it while it's there but don't expect it to be there for very long. Obviously the best attempt so far at re creating VMK.

Some people have gone so far as to try to tell me that Open VMK has reached a deal with Disney so that they are allowed to make VMK by themselves. When I called them on this, they even deleted my comments. Not the Open VMK staff but other people who are attempting to hide the fact that Open VMK could close at any moment.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Look over there --->
It appears as though the greatest threat to Open VMK is not Disney but Open VMK itself.

One of the administrators of Open VMK Forums just posted a message announcing major restructuring of the management of Open VMK. Gone is Amy, a seemingly essential developer to the project, after "questionable files" were brought to the attention of the rest of the team. She has now been removed entirely from the project. Meanwhile, others have been brought in, including oatman (a major force behind the long-dead VMK Unleashed) and, surprisingly, GPDOT (creator of VMK Revisited).

I don't know about you, but this sounds exactly like VMK Unleashed's demise all over again.

Last edited by yumsse; 09-14-2013 at 09:00 PM..
Old 09-14-2013, 07:11 PM
Still miss VMK
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award 2010 Holiday Award Caption Contest Winner's Award Patriot 2010 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award 2010 Crossword Puzzle Participant's Award Your Favorite Attraction Award 
Total Awards: 22

My Mood: Happy
Noelle is floating through Inner Space
I have been in the game a few times. I am still very apprehensive about it and don't want to get too attached. Have to admit that I did perk up a bit when I saw that GPDOT is now part of the team.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:58 AM
Trivia Addict
Awards Showcase

VIP
I have no idea what you mean by VMK Unleashed's demise. I never followed any attempt to recreate the game because I never thought it'd be done. Now I know a little about Open VMK, but even that I didn't consider until a few days before it opened. So I'm not sure about what happened with the other attempts...

I feel like it was unprofessional to talk about the removal of Amy in that way. It felt kind of awkward to read! Haha. Hopefully it keeps running as smoothly as possible, but we will see.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:17 AM
Look over there --->
To make a long story short, VMK Unleashed was a VMK recreation that never came to fruition becasue of internal personality conflicts. These conflicts culminated in to two of the project's heads, one of whom was oatman, having an argument one night. In the middle of said argument, the one who wasn't oatman deleted all of the files related to VMK Unleashed out of spite. And just like that, all the work put into VMK Unleashed disappeared and the project was scrapped. At least that's what I remember.

I could just be a pessimist for thinking this is what will happen to Open VMK, haha. Either way, I do hope all of the internal wrinkles have been smoothed out. Still surprised GPDOT has joined them; I hope they verified that it's really him. I always thought he was a staunch critic of creating a fully playable recreation.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:55 AM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

luckyone is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I was really happy seeing the Open Vmk project started, but after today's happenings I am a little pessimistic about it... but I will keep my hopes up... after all, there are people who seem qualified to keep the game running *I hope so*
Old 09-15-2013, 04:35 PM
Look over there --->
Looks like I spoke too soon. Direct from Open VMK Forums:

"As you all know, our current development team has been investigating the situation that occurred recently with Amy. After further investigation, we realized that the game files we suspected of being malicious are not."

So somebody became suspicious of Amy, the team booted her, investigated further, and figured out it was a false flag. So... who became suspicious and why? How did they manage to mistakenly think certain files were malicious when they were, in fact, not?

Ugh, this is just too much for me. I have other things going on in my life. Just make the game playable and I'm happy. :P