Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Magic Kingdoms > Walt Disney World

Walt Disney World I went to Florida and all I got was this stupid T-shirt with a mouse on it...

Old Animal Kingdom Lodge or OLd Key West?

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:00 PM
•Dancing through life•
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Expert Relocator Participants Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award Halloween '08 Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 6

Born In Park Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Regal
Kitri has disabled reputation
Animal Kingdom Lodge or OLd Key West?

Me and my family of four will either be staying in a two-bedroom vacation home in AKL or OKW for 11 nights during Christmas Time. We will be staying with DVC (Disney Vacation Club). Which resort do you prefer? Have you stayed at either, if so, how was your experience? Thanks! I appreciate it!

Clickie
Thank you SoccerRyan and Pisces for being my math tutors!
Old 05-17-2009, 05:18 PM
WDW lover :)
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award Halloween'11 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 
Total Awards: 26

My Mood: Disney
GoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
I think you'd have a wonderful time at both. Here are things you should consider:

*Which park do you visit the most? Which one is closer to your favorite parks?
*Which one is more/less expensive?
*Have you ever stayed at one of them or one that is like it? If so, you may want to try the other one to experience something different.

IDK about experiences because I've never stayed at either (I'm not a DVC member.) I'll PM you a site you can check out, though!
Old 05-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Glitter = LoVe!
Awards Showcase
Trivia Winner VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Patriot 2009 Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Participants Award Trivia Winner Mod Match Participant Happy St. Patrick's Day 
Total Awards: 14

Born In Park Clan Leader Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: PinkFlips
Pinkglitter ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasurePinkglitter ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasurePinkglitter ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasurePinkglitter ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasurePinkglitter ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasurePinkglitter ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
Well I like both! Here are some things ( Different to polars LOL! ) to also consider

{ Just to let you know Im a DVC Memeberr }

* AKL Villas will be new that means cleaner and more updated
* I stayed at AKL ( DVC Part ) In march and the people said that the AKL Villas pool in Florida is consider a small water park and prolly like Beach Club/ Beach club Villas/ Yacht Club and AKL pool you have to be stay their to use it.
* Since its New AKL Villa will cost more points
* Old key wests points are still the same since the opened soo they will be lowerr
* Old key west is Sooo close to Downtown Disney

If I would you I would choose AKL over Old Key West. Ive stayed at both ( well not the new villas stayed at the lodge dvc part but Im staying in the villas this summer. ) Tho, The point will be sooo much more.

Also there is the option of staying half and half like 5 days at AKL and 6 at OKW or vise verso.

Hoped this helpp!
Pink
Old 05-19-2009, 12:02 AM
Deal with it!
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Graphics Trio Award 
Total Awards: 23

Born In Park
My Mood: Evil
EtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with Confetti
I would suggest Animal Kingdom Lodge. It is by far the best resort on property. It has a wonderful theme, character, you can see animals outside your window, the resort is extremely close to Aimal Kngdom, and it is just overall amazing. I have never stayed at Old Key West, but I have visisted it once during a pin hunt(long story). It is nice, but older. It isn't as updated or clean as Animal Kingdom Lodge, it's still clean just not as clean. When you are at Old Key West you feel like you are at a resort, while at Animal Kingdom Lodge you feel like you are in an actual lodge in Africa. Although, if you aren't going to spend much time in the hotel and Old Key West requires less points then I suggest staying at Old Key West.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:31 AM
°o° Disney Enthusiast
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 4

DizCaptain has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundDizCaptain has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundDizCaptain has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundDizCaptain has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkglitter View Post
* AKL Villas will be new that means cleaner and more updated
* I stayed at AKL ( DVC Part ) In march and the people said that the AKL Villas pool in Florida is consider a small water park and prolly like Beach Club/ Beach club Villas/ Yacht Club and AKL pool you have to be stay their to use it.
Eh.....when Saratoga Springs first opened the rooms were definitely NOT clean. Over time it got better and we stay there alot. Personally I would wait for AKL because while you would be one of the first you also get the chance of that carpet glue smell and the odds of circuits not working in the tele lines and such. While its cool Old Key West is a timed classic resort. If I had to choose I would choose Beach Club Villas XD (My home resort)
Old 05-19-2009, 01:39 AM
•Dancing through life•
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Expert Relocator Participants Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award Halloween '08 Winner's Award 

I think we're going to be staying in a two bedroom vacation home (not value) in the older DVC section at AKL. We have 484 points to spend for December so if you have any other suggestions, that would be great!

Clickie

Last edited by UpInTheAir; 05-19-2009 at 05:17 AM.. Reason: minor adjustment
Old 05-19-2009, 01:57 AM
Glitter = LoVe!
Awards Showcase
Trivia Winner VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Patriot 2009 Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Participants Award Trivia Winner Mod Match Participant Happy St. Patrick's Day 

Pinkglitter ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasurePinkglitter ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasurePinkglitter ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasurePinkglitter ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasurePinkglitter ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasurePinkglitter ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
You can always try the new Bay towers. Its suppose to be really nice. I went through the model. It is opening in August. Plus! It right by Magic Kingdom
Old 05-19-2009, 01:59 AM
•Dancing through life•
Awards Showcase

Bay Lake towers does look very nice, but it demands a lot of points, especially during Holiday season.

Clickie
Old 05-19-2009, 02:06 AM
°o° Disney Enthusiast
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 4

DizCaptain has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundDizCaptain has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundDizCaptain has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundDizCaptain has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitri View Post
Bay Lake towers does look very nice, but it demands a lot of points, especially during Holiday season.
It does as does many. They look nice but with a holiday break I wouldnt want to spend it there. Now I looked back at my post and I actually highly recommend Beach Club Villas. They have a nice tree up and in the main resort is a chocolate carousel and loads of decorations, plus the back door to Epcot is always nice. If you are looking for a more relaxing holiday trip then definitely try for Wilderness Lodge. It has a lot of decorations and it is one of the most relaxing resorts with its lobby layout.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:08 AM
Glitter = LoVe!
Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizCaptain View Post
It does as does many. They look nice but with a holiday break I wouldnt want to spend it there. Now I looked back at my post and I actually highly recommend Beach Club Villas. They have a nice tree up and in the main resort is a chocolate carousel and loads of decorations, plus the back door to Epcot is always nice. If you are looking for a more relaxing holiday trip then definitely try for Wilderness Lodge. It has a lot of decorations and it is one of the most relaxing resorts with its lobby layout.
I love Beach Club. It is my home resort.The pool is amazing also!! There is easy access to EPCOT and Hollywood Studios. The points are less and super nice.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:18 PM
VMKF's WDW Expert-Nerd
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Carol Parody Winner's Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Patriot 2010 Award 
Total Awards: 30

VIP
My Mood: Stitch-ish
Stitchco has turned into a sparkling Pirate!Stitchco has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
Allow me to clarify some things then please.

One thing to look at is what does every person in the family prefer? I highly reccommend AKL because it has a better pool, better places to eat, has a better bus stop and stuff location (Old key West has to travel around the locations), you can wake up and see animals, and much more. Old key west on the other hand has a marina and is closer to downtown disney, magic kingdom, epcot, and animal kingdom. For more information you can contact me. I'm not a DVC member, but have stayed in the DVC rooms at Old key west and have taken an *exclusive* look at those AKL DVC rooms and they are quite nice.

-Stitchco
to StitchMad and Neoteny; to Batleth and EtnaGreen.
-Stitchco
Old 05-23-2009, 04:06 AM
•Dancing through life•
Awards Showcase

Thanks everyone! But now I have a greater dilemma. We are either going to stay in a Two-Bedroom at AKL or a One-Bedroom at BWV (boardwalk villas). Are the pull out couches comfortable enough for me and my sister to sleep in for 11 nights at BWV?

Clickie