Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Magic Kingdoms > Magic Kingdoms Archive

Magic Kingdoms Archive Archive forum for Magic Kingdoms

Old Facts of Disneyland

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:15 AM
<-My Walt Disney World

Middiebear is covered with ConfettiMiddiebear is covered with ConfettiMiddiebear is covered with Confetti
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyxfreak
This is about the whole park, there are underground tunnels, Walt did this so that he would not see a rooting tootin cowboy in space age tomorrowland while walking to where they need to be such as a parade. just helping out
Yes the park you're thinking of is the Magic Kingdom park in the Walt Disney World resort in Florida...

The park is famous for having all the "Behind the Scenes" stuff done under the park in the different tunnels, while the actual park is on the "2nd floor"...
Old 02-27-2006, 06:16 AM
bigthunderpsycopath

matterhornmaniac is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by camara
can u give proof to this, like a link to a site?
well its kinda common knowledge within the disneyland fan community, but i will try to find you proof. though it may be hard because there is no official statement by disney, and i don't know who you would believe more than me (me as in the average joe disneyfanontheinternetlikeeveryoneelse)

EDIT: here are some links. google is a fabulous invention

At Disneyland, sharp-eyed guests will notice a dimly lit rubber spider apparently floating in midair. This is actually a bullet hole caused by a guest who snuck an air-powered rifle onto the attraction and took a shot at the ballroom! The shattered glass was painted to look like a spiders’ web, and a dime-store rubber spider affixed to the glass. A sheet of plexi glass now also separates the guests from the glass...

http://www.grimghosts.com/secrets/MajorFX.html

As you're going through it look and you'll notice what's supposed to look like a spider web on one of the sheets of glass. (It's on one of the last ones you see) The story I heard behind this (from a HM Cast Member and a good friend of mine) is that one night somebody actually shot through the glass, leaving a bullet hole.
This was confirmed by Mark Keiser (Retlaw 72-76 Security 77-81) Summer 1974 "The guy that shot there presumably also shot the hole in the last or second to last window of the Primeval World diorama. Later investigation determined the hole to be .22 caliber (in both places), and bullet fragments matched (courtesy of Anaheim PD) the holes in Adventures in Inner Space (he shot up the snow flakes)."
There is another bullet sized hole beneath the duelist on the right, so perhaps a deranged guest was shooting at "the man with the gun".
They knew that to replace the glass they'd have to take the roof off the building first, so they decided to simply disguise it as a spider web. BTW, there is a spare pane in the back lot.

http://www.disneylandian.com/faqs/hauntedmansion.html

and then there's doombuggies.com the unnoficial, but definitive haunted mansion site. i'm sure they have info there
Old 02-27-2006, 06:41 AM
VILLAINS' MONTH! MUAHAHA!
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

Appleson is as Frosty as a Snowman
i too have some radom fun facts to add that i've actually discovered on my own or learned from a friend:

-in disneyland's main street, you will notice a fire department with a window on the 2nd floor. that actually used to be walt's temporary apartment and whenever the lamp was on, he was there. ever since he passed away, disney keeps the light on in his memory

-in cinderella castle (i forgot if it was dl or mk), there is actually a room inside around the top. it was originally planned to be walt's apartment to actually live in. however, since his passing it turned into a telephone operating room (not sure what it's used for now)

-did you know that small world was actually walt's dedication to the organization People to People Student Ambassadors? it's an organization that allows kids and teens to explore different cultures. i found this out from a meeting i went to.

-did you know the buildings along main street aren't actual size? only the first floors are. from there the upper floors are scaled down to a smaller size. otherwise, those buildings would be very very tall!

-did you know that at earlier parts of the day, you can catch goofy and someone else (couldn't get a clear view) climbing up the Matterhorn as if they were rock climbing? now i wish i had a pic of it because it was so awesome!

-here's something a little funny to me that i remember. in tarzan's treehouse in dl, i remember seeing mrs. pots and chip near the area where you bang on pots and pans.

-here's a little tip from me. unfortunately, you'll need an injured friend. anyway, i remember one time when i was planning a trip to dl with friends, one of them got in an accident. she was riding her scooter downhill and she fell off, skidding on her knee. she didn't break any bones or get any sprains, but it was still difficult for her to walk. this happened the day before our trip, but she still wanted to go. so when we arrived, we rented her a wheelchair. i swear it was like having a free fast pass! we were able to cut in line for so many rides, including those that don't offer fast passes. just remember that you have a guest limit of up to 6 people (or somewhere around that amount). plus, we got most of our money back when we returned the wheelchair at the rent stall. that was a great day
Old 02-27-2006, 06:54 AM
bigthunderpsycopath

matterhornmaniac is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Your second fact pertains to Cinderella's Castle in the Magic Kingdom

You can see Goofy and Mickey climb the Matterhorn, with Minnie cheering them on from halfway up thew peak

The Disney Gallery above the entrance to Pirates was intended to be Walt's new apartment (replacing the fire station), but he passed away before he was able to use it

Also in the base camp of Tarzan's Treehouse is a phonograph that plays the theme song for the previous treehouse: The Swiss Family Treehouse

At one point, there was a two person Pluto costume

The Observatron in Tomorrowland is simply a rebuild of the former Tomorrowland "Rocket Jets" attraction.

The huge organ in the Haunted Mansion's ballroom is from the film 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

That in Disneyland's Fantasmic! (and presumably WDW too), Maleficent is almost always a man?

That during the day, the props (like Kaa's body and the flower petals) and some costumes are stored in a tunnel in the middle of Tom Sawyer Island?

That, at the end of Fantasmic, Sorcerer Mickey suddenly appears on the "roof" of the Cider Mill but is really just raised quickly by a tiny scissor lift?

That inside the Cider Mill, the walls are lined with random stuff that has been found either in the Rivers of America or on the island itself?

That some of that found stuff includes a giant boombox, other electronics, and the head from the long-gone Ursula barge (but that one could be a rumor)?

That nice vanilla like smell on Main street by the bakery: It's not from the baking. It's an air freshener that sprays periodically. Its peppermint during christmas.

There used toi be live alligators at the entrance of the jungle cruise, but were quickly removed. They were rented from a gator farm in Buena Park (a city near Anaheim)

Disneyland is a 'Safe Haven' can can hosue 82,000 people in case of natural Disaster or Nuclear war!

Feral cats live in disneyland. they are mostly in critter country near the hungry bear, inside the castle, and in condor flats at DCA

There used to be a walk through display showing sleeping beauty inside the castle

In the Market House on Main Street you can really play a game of checkers! You should really stop by for a game if you have time. There is also a board set up by the Cider Mill on Tom Sawyer's Island (not sure about last one since IO haven't been to the island in a couple years)

In POTC when you are in the grotto of lost souls scene look for a portait hanging in the bar. the woman in this is the famed red head women you meet in the wench action

there is a small bridge in big thunder trails, its hardly noticable unless you know its there anyways if you look into the water from that bridge you will see a fish swim by, he swims over and over the same route he is on a rod thats on a track, this is the last remaining AA of "natures wonderland"

If the Sub LAgoon were to be drained, the Matterhorn would sink, due to a giant hole in the Lagoon. (HAHA! Just kidding. That's one of the funniest rumors I've ever heard though!)

Last edited by matterhornmaniac; 02-28-2006 at 08:05 AM..
Old 02-28-2006, 07:01 AM
Back it up Back it up

DsnyManiac is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Smile

i noticed that if you ride haunted mansion during the Nightmare before Christmas, at the gingerbread house scene, you can still see the ballroom ghosts going through the gingerbread house!

In POTC at the Captain's Quarter Scene, there are two bones above the headrest, and those are the only real bones in the POTC!

If you look closely at the poster right before you get to The Mark Twain Boat ( im talking about the poster with the mark twain boat on it ) you can spot a REAL hidden mickey ( mickey mouse, not a head ) near the lower deck.

And, yes, sometimes there are characters climbing the Matterhorn.

If any of you didnt know.. when you ride the Buzz Lightyear ride, you are actually playing against an online player!

(lol something i noticed ) at the end of Space Mountain (when they take your picture) it seems like your going backwards on the ride!

( something funny ) when i was in line for California Screaming, there was a delay.. and the guy who told us, made us play ' If your happy and you know it ' so everybody was clapping their hands and stomping their feet!

I have more that are on the tip of my tounge and ill post them later!

DsnyManiac,
Old 03-01-2006, 04:33 AM
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caterpillar AEIOU
This wont help you anymore.

I work at DLR now, and I worked at WDW for 14 years.

They have changed the policy because people have abused it.
You need medical proof or a Special card to go to the front of the line,. or to go to a shorter or different entrance.

Lisa
oops! i hope what we did wasn't abusing the policy or anything! but still, i was telling the truth that my friend had a hard time walking. anyway, i think that it was a right decision to put and end to that. thx for responding plus, here's another fun fact:

i'm pretty sure this in wdw. anyway, there's a statue of cinderella somewhere near the castle. if you stand in front of her and bow down, a crown will appear on top of her head. that's because it's actually painted on the castle wall or something and it just looks like the crown is on top of her head. it's a pretty neat trick that anyone should try
Old 03-01-2006, 05:35 AM
i lost my signature :(

cptnruthless is floating through Inner Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caterpillar AEIOU
This wont help you anymore.

I work at DLR now, and I worked at WDW for 14 years.

They have changed the policy because people have abused it.
You need medical proof or a Special card to go to the front of the line,. or to go to a shorter or different entrance.

Lisa
I'm really not one for arguing, but I work Main Gate A LOT.
Unfortunately, you dont have to have proof of an injury - too many people tried to sue Disney because of discrimination. Now the policy is if you have money, you get a wheelchair.
As far as getting the front of the line, if you do have proof, you MAY get a front of the line pass. Most likely, you'll have to wait in the wheelchair line, which is short, but its not automatic on like it used to be.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:27 PM
I am an AP Holder!!!!

mrskellington doesn’t quite have what it takes to pull out the sword
In Buzz, when you're in a tunnel on the ride, and there are red lights, shoot at the targets on the roof and I think you tget sme extra points.

The robot in the queue for Star Tours in the " U Turn" area is a hold host of America Sings, look at his feet, they are webbed!!!!! The host was a eagle of some sort I think.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:22 PM
The Scene and Herd...
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award Patriot 2010 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award Your Favorite Attraction Award Xmas Wishlist '09 Which Disney Character Participant's Award Spooky Scribe Award Golden Years Award 
Total Awards: 15

Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Baffled
KEBSD is as Frosty as a Snowman
mrskellington, may I correct you. It's some bird, yes, from america sings. They were also transferred to Splash Mountain. BUT, I think the long necked webbed feet robot is only at Disneyworld. Correct me if I'm wrong. (P.S. I have a WDW book and I saw it!)

KEBSD
Old 03-02-2006, 10:51 PM
the inside of my heart.

TikiRoom is as Frosty as a Snowman
great fatcs, andsome rumors, everyone!

I have seen character climbing the matterhorn a few times... it was pretty cool.
we can take a chance.
this crazy thing that we call a romance
still fills the inside
the inside of my heart.

the inside- danny larsh
i got 3 hugs from him. xD
Old 03-04-2006, 03:43 PM
I am an AP Holder!!!!

mrskellington doesn’t quite have what it takes to pull out the sword
In The Haunted Mansion, when you are in the attic, lean out of your doombuggy, and look behind you as you are about to leave the attic. Here is a pic:
Old 03-05-2006, 02:04 AM
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

here's another. somewhere near the thunder mountain railroad attraction, there's a cactus shaped like mickey. here's a pic:
Old 03-05-2006, 02:25 AM
Zero

PirateMario is as Frosty as a Snowman
There is a real bird in the second story of jungle crusie.

a longtime ago there used to be a band that preformed on top of the jungle cruise house. I think they are gone.

At POTC close to the end, where the Pirates are trying to Pull the treasure chest up, that picture there is no other than Black beard.

At Big thunder ranch there is a cow with a Mickey head on it.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:53 AM
the inside of my heart.

TikiRoom is as Frosty as a Snowman
Most people die on Grads. Night.

Next to "King Authurs Carousel", there is "The Sword in the Stone". Merlin picks parents to pull out the sword, the parents can't do it, so he picks a kid, usally very young, around 5, 6, or 7. "Magicly", the child can pull it out. This is all controled by a button around there, if you look around, you might be able to see a Cast Member pressing it.
we can take a chance.
this crazy thing that we call a romance
still fills the inside
the inside of my heart.

the inside- danny larsh
i got 3 hugs from him. xD
Old 03-05-2006, 03:03 AM
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikiRoom
Most people die on Grads. Night.
i actually remember reading some stuff on that on the internet. just wanted to say that dl wasn't responsible for these accidents. it was from the neglegence of the visitors and their inability to listen to park rules. just a heads up for anyone who read that

i also remember it being posted somewhere here about a basketball court in the matterhorn. i'd like to add that the reason it's there is that at the time it was built, anaheim prohibited the building of structures at a certain height. so, disney built a basketball court to have the matterhorn pass as a sports arena and therefore avoid the height restrictions. if you ask me, that was a pretty darn smart move, lol