Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Magic Kingdoms > Magic Kingdoms Archive

Magic Kingdoms Archive Archive forum for Magic Kingdoms

Old Haunted Mansion Update

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:59 AM
Ask For My WDW Videos.
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

Facnyface is as Frosty as a Snowman
Haunted Mansion Update

Making the Haunts Even Happier

That old, creepy, uninhabited mansion -- you know, the one where you sometimes hear mysterious sounds and see eerie apparitions? I think something's going on up there. Ever since June, I seem to hear weird noises in the dead of night ... noises suspiciously like hammering and sawing. But none of the 999 permanent residents seem to be leaving the joint. Is it possible that that place is going to get even SPOOKIER?

That's right -- in case you haven't heard the news through the ghoulish grapevine, the Magic Kingdom Park's venerable Haunted Mansion is getting a facelift. New details are being added to reward sharp-eyed spookhunters, and some high-tech magic is being put to use to create old-fashioned thrills. Kathy Rogers, Senior Show Producer for the attraction, told us what to expect if you dare to venture through the doors of this most beloved attraction, which is slated to reopen this month.

"For several months, our team has been "illusioneering," making the invisible, visible," explains Kathy. "For example, a previously unseen wing of the Mansion has been revealed for the first time. Observant Guests will see more of the 999 happy haunts cavorting on a seemingly endless staircase leading to secret realms. Watch closely and you'll see evidence of these residents -- their glowing footprints, candles going out -- is it the wind or did someone blow them out? It's for you to decide. Other haunts reveal themselves in the mansion's infamous Corridor of Doors -- don't blink or you'll miss the clues!"

The Haunted Mansion is one of the Disney Theme Park attractions that have inspired legions of passionate fans. The last thing anyone wanted to do was to change the experience in a way that would disappoint Guests, and Kathy and her team were acutely aware of the necessity to "strengthen the story, and not change it." So in many cases they expanded on the lore that already existed -- as in Kathy's own favorite addition: "In the attic the long, sad tale of Constance on her wedding days finally comes to light. For almost 40 years, our Guests have come face to face with Constance the bride. Now it's time for them to meet her and her grooms face to face -- all five of them! They all loved Constance," she laughs. "In fact, you could say they lost their heads over her."

In addition to adding to the story, the Imagineers are taking advantage of some technological advances since the Mansion first saw the light of day. You won't be overwhelmed with high-tech bells and whistles that disturb the eerie atmosphere, but, Kathy promises, "Imagineers constantly look for new ways to combine compelling stories with new technologies. As we've worked to enhance Haunted Mansion, we've added a few surprises that may make the ghosts seem a little closer than before."

So whether it's your first visit to the Mansion or your hundredth, when Guests are allowed to enter that elegant but eerie house again, keep your eyes peeled. You never know when you'll stumble across the evidence of a haunt you haven't encountered before! And remember -- there's always room for one more.

**I will be posting photos of opening day of the attraction right here in this very thread!
Old 09-08-2007, 04:02 AM
TR2N Are You Ready?
Awards Showcase
2010 Holiday Award Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award Which Disney Character Participant's Award Spooky Scribe Award Halloween '09 Award Golden Years Award Patriot 2009 Award 
Total Awards: 13

Destination has turned into a sparkling Pirate!Destination has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
sounds interesting! I cant wait to see the staircase seen!
Old 09-08-2007, 04:04 AM
WDW Tours Provided Daily!
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Golden Years Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Guess the Picture Winner's Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 5

Stunt is floating through Inner Space
I just hope they don't make the bride as goofy as she is in DL.
I know they re-did her and are doing the projection face thing, but the DL one is just silly looking.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:38 AM
My Clemmentine..

SweetAdelline is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt View Post
I just hope they don't make the bride as goofy as she is in DL.
I know they re-did her and are doing the projection face thing, but the DL one is just silly looking.
I don't have a big problem with the new bride at Disneyland. I mean, the old one was classic but was it really more visually impressive? And I can't imagine WDW will do anything different when it comes to her update. I'd prepare yourself for more "silly".
Old 09-08-2007, 04:57 AM
i am Dreaming of Disney

superdsuperd is spinning in a Cursed Storm
i read this today in the Disney Insider, definitely interesting...

For Christmas I Want a Ninja Turtle!
Old 09-08-2007, 01:23 PM
VMB:Virtual Magical Blop
Awards Showcase
Guess the Picture Winner's Award Caption Contest Participant Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 4

Here Since Day 1
My Mood: Disney
Blop is spinning in a Cursed Storm

Death Becomes Them

Like its counterpart in Anaheim, the Haunted Mansion at the Walt Disney World Resort's Magic Kingdom will be getting some new magic when it re-opens in September, after its current refurbishment is completed. But make no mistake, warns a team of spirited Imagineers, this is no typical touch-up-the-paint-and-remove-(okay, add)-the-cobwebs project.

"To call this a refurbishment doesn't even come close," says WDI senior principal production designer Neil Engel. "We're taking a classic attraction and using new technologies to present the existing, signature show in a more exciting and immersive way — which has us just as jazzed as the guests will be!"

The Haunted Mansion Imagineering team is hard at work in both California and Florida, getting ready to add new magic to several key scenes, including the attic scene (complete with the now-infamous bride whose husbands always seem to get the ax … ) and the séance scene. They're also adding a completely new story to a previously
dead space and upgrading the attraction's audio, lighting and special effects systems.

"With a project like this, it's so exciting knowing that you are going into and touching a classic attraction," says Kathy Rogers, senior show producer, director. "And in the end, the show winds up even better than it already was; we know it will remain a classic."

It's All in the Details
A portion of this refurbishment involves re-propping a few key scenes, such as the attic. But locating items that clearly and quickly tell the story of the perfect murder(s), as well as pieces to complement a mid-19th century Southern motif, isn't as simple as heading to the closest Ikea.

"The challenge has really been finding the right prop and period dressing that tells the story you want to tell," says Steve Probus, set decorator, principal. "We're looking for mid- to late-1800s furniture, books, drapery and a multitude of props and dressing that convey information about each of the couples that have inhabited the mansion. In addition, we want to add an extra layer of props for more depth in the scenes."

One Step Beyond
The other components that will give new life (of sorts) to these scenes are a few key special effects that will be updated during the refurbishment. Both the floating Madame Leota head and the Haunted Bride, two characters whose latest technological incarnations debuted at Disneyland, have been upgraded even further for their reappearance in the Magic Kingdom.

"The Haunted Bride special effects are an improved version of what we installed a few years earlier in Disneyland," says Ken Horii, digital media production supervisor, director. "R&D had done a great job with that last bride, making her look like a lifelike-looking ghost, as much as that is possible, anyway! And so this time, we wanted to take it one step further."

Stairway to … ?
If all of that isn't enough to raise the dead in eager anticipation of the Haunted Mansion's resurrection, Imagineers are also installing an entirely new scene into a previously uninhabited space … and taking that space in a few new directions.

"I think I'm most excited to see the staircase scene when it's finished," says Eric Jacobson, senior vice president, Creative. "We haven't seen it before and it adds something completely new to the ride, in a space where there wasn't really anything before. But there is just so much to this refresh — it really is the sum of the parts. The whole ride will be enhanced and end up better than before."

As part of Imagineering's commitment to enhancing classic attractions around the world, the new magic that this team is spreading to the Haunted Mansion sure to be something Magic Kingdom guests will be dying to see.

sweet..
Old 09-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Zero, 1, 10, 100, Zero..
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

leowy ’s Invisible pin is 5* - Spooky!
Wow, i cant wait to see this!
Old 09-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Ask For My WDW Videos.
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

Now all I need to do is post some of my behind the scenes images from last week. They had some of the lighting effects working.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:51 AM
Ask For My WDW Videos.
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

Another update! The Streching room is completely re-made! So expect that to be something new! WDI is finishing up final changes this week,and the tarp type deal has been re-added to the quee line again!
Old 09-12-2007, 01:46 PM
VMB:Virtual Magical Blop
Awards Showcase
Guess the Picture Winner's Award Caption Contest Participant Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 4

Here Since Day 1
My Mood: Disney
Blop is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Sweet! i heard that the streaching room has new speakers, bats flying around in the attic, and the gargoyles will animate.
sounds awesome.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Banned

targ is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I'll be posting pictures Saturday morning of all the new stuff for you who cant be at the passholder opening
Old 09-12-2007, 11:56 PM
Ask For My WDW Videos.
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

I will be posting images I took a few days ago, some insider stuff. Maybe even some of the new staircase and streching room scenes.