Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Other Games > Other G Rated Games

Other G Rated Games Discussion of other G Rated games...

Old The Pokemon Discussion Thread [Part 2]

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Also known as Djar
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 2

Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Happy
Derejin is spinning in a Cursed Storm
There isn't anything I can really argue with from that build, but as you can see, it does talk about a couple of things I've discussed on the thread, such as EVs, natures, etc..

I need to explain something else now; namely tiers.

Tiers play a very important part in competitive Pokemon battling, considering that each Pokemon is assigned to a tier. In competitive battling, a Pokemon may only compete in a battle consisting of other Pokemon in the same tier or higher.
Tier list; the highest is the strongest tier, while the lowest is the weakest.

Uber(Basically the creme of the crop. Uber Pokemon are up top usually due to a combination of great stats, great movepools, and good abilities. All but two Uber Pokemon are legendaries, so it makes sense(The two non-legendary Ubers are Wobbuffet and Garchomp)
Overused(Also called OU; OU is the "standard" competitive.. standard. Yeah.)
Borderline(Also called BL; Borderline are quite often as strong/almost as strong as OU Pokemon, but often have some type of flaw that prevents it from actually reaching the OU tier)
Underused(Also called UU; Underused are usually weaker than most Pokemon due to some flaw or another(such as lacking in a good movepool(moves to choose from), bad ability, and/or bad typing)
NU(The epitome of poor. Usually used for Pokemon that basically can't fit the bill for anything)

If a Pokemon isn't at the top of its family line(AKA comparing a Charmander to a Charizard), they're put in an entirely different tier even lower than or equal to NU. However, a few Pokemon, even if not at the top of their family line, still can be used in battle due to a few key differences between them and their adult form(AKA Charmeleon to Charizard; Charmeleon has lower overall stats, but in lacking the Flying type it also loses any weaknesses granted through having Flying), but there aren't many.

If a Pokemon is listed on a "Limbo" tier, it basically means that some higher-up discussion boards for competitive battling are still debating which tier said Limbo Pokemon should go into(AKA it's undecided)

To give you a few examples of each tier(not in any real order)..:

Uber: Rayquaza, Dialga, Mewtwo..
OU: Salamence, Blissey, Rhyperior..
BL: Blaziken, Jynx, Entei..
UU: Altaria, Toxicroak, Slobro..
NU: Bibarel, Solrock, Spinda..

You may think "Well, if they're listed that way and if I'm gonna take up competitive battling, I better not touch anything under OU, right?"

Actually, quite wrong. It's somewhat encouraged to build up teams in lower tiers and battle other trainers with teams in that same tier; battles don't have to include only the best in order to be challenging/fun!
In fact, building a lower-tier team may help you understand or build a few strategies, making you a better battler overall.

Now, you may wonder why I suddenly started up on tiers. Well, that's because in the info/help/advice about the build for Ampharos it listed other Pokemon in its tier (Nidoking, etc..), hence why the build is focused for taking on the major threats in that tier. For example, in the OU tier, it's wise to have a Physical move in order to take on a Blissey(which is probably one of the strongest anti-SP. ATK Pokemon out there, but has horrid DEF).
Basically, many Pokemon builds are built with a few extra things in mind considering any major threats that exist in that tier.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:11 PM
disco pogo
Awards Showcase
Make A Wish Award Halloween'10 Award 2010 Holiday Award Epitaph Participant's Award Caption Contest Winner's Award Graphics Trio Award VMK Memories Award 2010 Happy St. Patrick's Day 2010 
Total Awards: 26

Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Surrender
BuzzBoy133 is covered with ConfettiBuzzBoy133 is covered with ConfettiBuzzBoy133 is covered with Confetti
Lol, my cousin helped me make a competetive battling team, but it's horrible.
All my guys have really low speed and are taken out easily, IMO.
And they're all like half-legit too xS

Old 09-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Awards Showcase
Epitaph Participant's Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Patriot 2009 Award Expert Relocator Participants Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 6

Born In Park Clan Leader Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Procastinating
Palkia is as Frosty as a Snowman
Wow Buzz.
Anyone want to battle me??? :3

I'm a scene kid XP
Old 09-07-2009, 07:19 PM
disco pogo
Awards Showcase
Make A Wish Award Halloween'10 Award 2010 Holiday Award Epitaph Participant's Award Caption Contest Winner's Award Graphics Trio Award VMK Memories Award 2010 Happy St. Patrick's Day 2010 

Here Since Day 1 VIP
BuzzBoy133 is covered with ConfettiBuzzBoy133 is covered with ConfettiBuzzBoy133 is covered with Confetti
Lol, I know I fail xD

Old 09-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Banned
Awards Showcase
Make A Wish Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 2010 Holiday Award Epitaph Participant's Award Halloween'10 Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Patriot 2010 Award VMK Memories Award 2010 
Total Awards: 28

My Mood: AFK
Vivi is Buried in TreasureVivi is Buried in Treasure
epic fail buzz.
rotfl
Anyways; tiers.
That's an interesting subject. lol.
*has to re-read because the first time it was too much information*
So...ah. Got it.
WAIT. Why is Garchomp an uber?
Old 09-07-2009, 07:43 PM
disco pogo
Awards Showcase

Here Since Day 1 VIP
It has amazing stats.
That's why.
It's base stats have a total of 600.
The only pokemon with that much are:
* Celebi
* Cresselia
* Darkrai
* Deoxys
* Dragonite
* Heatran
* Jirachi
* Latias
* Latios
* Manaphy
* Metagross
* Mew
* Salamence
* Shaymin
* Tyranitar
And Garchomp.
Almost all are Legendaries.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Awards Showcase
Epitaph Participant's Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Patriot 2009 Award Expert Relocator Participants Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Joy To The World 

Anyone want to battle me????

I'm a scene kid XP
Old 09-08-2009, 02:15 AM
Also known as Djar
Awards Showcase

Here Since Day 1 VIP
I may be able to, Palkia, but it may be awhile before I can. Wifi issues..

Buzzboy, Garchomp isn't Uber solely due to stats; In fact, out of that list, only:

-Darkrai
-Deoxys
-Latias
-Latios
-Manaphy
-Shaymin(In Sky Forme)

are ubers. The rest are OU.

Garchomp's an Uber because of his movepool and *where* his 600 base movepool points are allocated. Not only can he hit hard, but he's also durable to the point where he just can't get OHKO'd without setup unless hit with an extremely strong Ice move(mostly from Ubers or those with Choice Specs) or if the attacker had time to set up beforehand. Even then, Garchomp could carry in a Focus Sash to ensure lasting a turn!(Focus Sash is normally broken through via damaging weather; but Sandstorm actually assists Garchomp by raising Evade. Hail is the only thing that can damage it, and it's VERY rare in OU and Uber)
Why is lasting one turn so dangerous? Like I said, Garchomp has great attack stats.. and Dragon Dance(boosts ATK and SPD). One turn with that and you've got a bulldozer ready to take down the opposition.
He's not limited to Dragon Dance, as he can also use a Choice Band or a Life Orb to boost up his general attack power as well, considering that, like I said, only insanely strong Ice moves can OHKO him.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:21 AM
Awards Showcase

Grr..I hate wifi issues..but mine is fine though.

I'm a scene kid XP
Old 09-09-2009, 04:08 AM
Banned
Awards Showcase
Make A Wish Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 2010 Holiday Award Epitaph Participant's Award Halloween'10 Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Patriot 2010 Award VMK Memories Award 2010 

Hey; where's Lugia on the tier? Is it a borderline?
Vivi/ shoots smug smile at Palkia
XD Couldn't resist.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:35 AM
I Am ShadowJr In VMK!!!
Awards Showcase
Spooky Scribe Award Golden Years Award Smilie Story: The Beach Participant Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Design a Pin Winner's Award Patriot 2009 Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Winners Award 
Total Awards: 11

My Mood: Blah
sonic99979 is as Frosty as a Snowman
It said you can get 3 Starters from each region.... no not sinnoh... doh

I'm gonna get Cyndaquil then Charmander then Treecko
Old 09-10-2009, 12:40 AM
Also known as Djar
Awards Showcase

Here Since Day 1 VIP
Lugia's an uber, but not due to offensive capabilities. Lugia's strength lies in its amazing(and I mean amazing) defensive stats; that combined with pretty solid HP and great speed makes it one of the toughest walls out there.

Offensively, it's a bit.. poor, for ubers, at least. Aeroblast is a great move, sure, and it gets good STAB from being Flying Type, but think about it: you aren't gonna find ANY Bug, Fighting, OR Grass ubers, except for Arceus should he have one of those plates equipped(and even then he's durable enough to not care that much). Aeroblast is still a solid choice, though, if the opponent doesn't resist it.
Lugia's other STAB, Psychic(I'm not limiting it just to that specific move; Pokemon XD Lugias can have Psycho Boost, a whopping 140 damage SP. ATK lowering move).. well, in the Uber environment, it's awful.

It still can attack well, especially if you were to utilize Calm Mind to help boost Lugia's walling ability and give it a bit more punch, too, but being a wall is exactly what Lugia's built for.
Mm, here's two builds I've found for Lugia(I'll provide my own descriptions of the build, though!):

Lugia @Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 54 Def / 204 Spd
Bold Nature
-Reflect
-Whirlwind
-Roost
-Toxic/Ice Beam

Lugia's high defensive stats and solid HP are practically utilized to the fullest extent in this set. Reflect supports the whole team and makes Lugia even harder to kill.
Whirlwind is great for phasing,(Competitive term; I won't go too into it right now, but basically it means removing an opponent who has set themselves up for battle with special buffs and such(I. E. Swords Dance, etc..) and it can remove threats to Lugia's status as a wall.
Roost is practically obvious; 50% HP recovery. What's not to like about it when it's on a wall?
The last slot makes sure that Lugia doesn't just sit that and soak up attacks; Toxic can heavily damage enemy walls, or you can use Ice Beam for a more direct approach.
Leftovers, Lugia's Item, is a pretty obvious choice for such a wall. Constant HP recovery for the win!

For those who want a more offensive based Lugia(I made some small modifications to the build):

Lugia @Choice Specs/Leftovers
EVs: 54 HP / 252 SAtk / 204 Spd
Modest Nature
-Aeroblast/Calm Mind
-Ice Beam
-Thunder
-Shadow Ball/Roost

This can either be a solid Choice Specs(Choice Specs is an item that greatly boosts SPATK, but forces the Pokemon into an "Encore" type state after it selects a move(Encore is a technique that forces the victim to constantly use the attack it used last over and over again) set(albeit not the most effective) or a tank. Aeroblast is for pure power, Ice Beam and Thunder covers a large amount of the Uber environment with at least neutral damage(and quite often supereffective), and Shadow Ball handles the common Psychic Ubers(and Giratina, as a bonus).
Should the more defensive approach be used, Choice Specs are replaced with Leftovers, Aeroblast with Calm Mind, and Shadow Ball with Roost. Calm Mind up once or twice, and you have yourself an insane Special Attacker and Defender! Leftovers and roost keeps Lugia in play.

Both sets can be very effective, but the first is particularly vulnerable to Taunt and both are practically made useless by Toxic(given a few turns).

Personally, I wish I had a good Lugia..
Old 09-13-2009, 07:55 PM
Awards Showcase

Lugias are awesome.
I don't care about the pokemon's strength, really.

I'm a scene kid XP
Old 09-13-2009, 08:55 PM
Banned
Awards Showcase

Then what do you care about, Palkia?
THINK ABOUT THAT!
Old 09-13-2009, 09:05 PM
I Am ShadowJr In VMK!!!
Awards Showcase
Spooky Scribe Award Golden Years Award Smilie Story: The Beach Participant Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Design a Pin Winner's Award Patriot 2009 Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Winners Award 
Total Awards: 11

My Mood: Blah
sonic99979 is as Frosty as a Snowman
I'm going to get Soul Silver! I like Lugia...

I'm gonna wait for english!