Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > Project: SAVE VMK! > Project: SAVE VMK! Archive

Project: SAVE VMK! Archive Archive forum for Project: SAVE VMK!

Old You know what bothers me the most?

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Can I be a "Registered-"?
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 2

Zimonada is spinning in a Cursed Storm
You know what bothers me the most?

I think that throughout these past 6~ months the thing that bothers me the most is that well, it seems like there wasn't really a reason that FORCED them to close it down. And yeah, I know that everyone's been complaining about how Di$ney is only in it for the money, but I've always tried to be optimistic of them and that it was a legitimate reason.

How often do you see games shut down or stop being produced, especially an MMO game that has thousands of players worldwide? It isn't even like it's a console game, where if you buy it, they just stop making it and won't force you to return your copy. The only reasons I can think of offhand for something so well, drastic, to happen would be if:
- The game is outclassed by something much better and more successful (i.e. VMK vs. CP, PotCO, etc.)
- The gaming community is moving on to bigger and better ideas (i.e. new consoles, different ideas, etc.)
- The game just wasn't appealing to any audience and was not running as planned (i.e. aimed towards little children but no age groups loved it)
- Something that causes the game's community to deteriorate (i.e. hacker outbreak)

Now, the thing is, VMK wasn't any of the above. It couldn't be outclassed since it was in a league of it's own; there aren't any other games remotely similar to it. It wasn't appealing to one target audience, but it appealed to people of all ages. And we had a fairly stable community up until the news about closure.

So this draws the question, why did VMK truly close? Sure, we're told that it's due to monetary issues, but I can't honestly face Disney, one of the largest companies, and believe that. It's not an issue of they couldn't afford it, it's an issue of they didn't want to afford it. It's not as if VMK was breaking the Disney bank. If anything, it would increase their revenue, causing those people who played VMK to eventually want to go to Disneyworld for real (hypothetically).

If it's an issue of they didn't want to afford the cost of VMK, then that's a really selfish decision on their part. I think it would be fantastic if VMK returned, but I don't think I'd play if it's being reopened by those same selfish minds. Maybe if someone else was in power, sure, but as of now, I'll have to pass.

That's all for now. Hope to see you guys again sometime over the holidays.

- Zim

All credit goes to Ammie!