Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > Project: SAVE VMK! > Project: SAVE VMK! Archive

Project: SAVE VMK! Archive Archive forum for Project: SAVE VMK!

Old I will make VMK will come back

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:43 AM
Tim Burton Fan for Life

PinkTinkPixie is covered with ConfettiPinkTinkPixie is covered with ConfettiPinkTinkPixie is covered with Confetti
Like most people have been saying, I think it would be easier, and more realistic for someone (or even you, if it's something you're really passionate about) to just make a new VMK, or a game just like it.

I think it's really great that you have this dream though, and I like how you talk about it as if it's going to be reality one day. It's people who have determination like that who's dreams end up coming true

Keep dreaming, kid! And I mean that in a good way

~Pink

-The Little Prince
By Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Old 05-27-2008, 01:28 PM
VMK Saver??? Uh... no
Awards Showcase
Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 4

VIP
My Mood: Cursed
supertanno is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterkate View Post
Im sorry but I just dont see this happening at all. I mean you cant just walk into Disney and say your an ' Imagineear'. You gotta work for the job, make the grades, and that means now, and you have to go to college.
I know, and I know that I prbably be around the 30 years (omg) when I can start with being an Imagineer (here in Holland it works a bit different then in the USA, so...), but it's my goal and my dream, I work and study hard at school, I will give everything to become an Imagineer, and I also know that I will have to go to a "Disney College" after normal college. But I don't care about that, I like school, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggo View Post
In 30 years VMK could be a holigram that you could actually walk through. But why wait 30 years? A good programer could get a spectacular new VMK up in no time.
But I was talking about a realistic VMK, a part of The Magic Kingdom (TMK) or something, like Main Street is also a part of TMK. And in 30 years, I'm around 40 years, and not 30, I mean, some experience can be handy, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeps View Post
Or...you could just become Disney CEO and re-structure the company with an emphasis on online gaming experiences based on the park?

Well, I think that the chance of an Imagineer (who has no power over Disney online communities) bringing VMK back is about the same as your rise to CEO.
1. Imagineers DO have power over Disney online communities, for as far s but not much.

2. I want to become Imagineer, not CEO, because I like rollercoasters with the Disney magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimonada View Post
Dreams are always unrealistic though.
Dreams are NEVER unrealistic. Walt Disney proved it.

Last edited by supertanno; 06-27-2008 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: My name wasn't on the edit ;)
Old 05-30-2008, 01:42 AM
Registered+

KikiBozu is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Well, to be honest, Imagineers don't really have much say in whether or not the Disney online games stay open or not. I met an imagineer and a convention (I don't want to say his name because I know how strict Disney is about what their workers say, so if you want the name just PM me) and he said he did work on VMK while it was still in the concept stages but wasn't told anything about it closing until me and a few others asked him about it.

So if you're going to try to save VMK, shoot for the Walt Disney Internet Group or someone in the company who has influence over these decisions. And don't give up on your dream, either! There was another Imagineer who I never got the name of who said he dreamt of being an Imagineer since he was eight. He achieved his dream, and so can you.

EDIT: By the way, sorry if I repeated anything. I didn't read any of the posts before me.

Last edited by KikiBozu; 05-30-2008 at 01:43 AM.. Reason: wanted to add something.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:57 AM
i am a sloth.
Awards Showcase
Arcade Winner Xmas Wishlist '09 Golden Years Award Smilie Story: The Beach Winner Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Design a Pin Participation's Award Patriot 2009 Award Expert Relocator Participants Award 
Total Awards: 15

Born In Park
My Mood: PandaExpress
Friez is Buried in TreasureFriez is Buried in TreasureFriez is Buried in Treasure
Quote:
Originally Posted by KikiBozu View Post
Well, to be honest, Imagineers don't really have much say in whether or not the Disney online games stay open or not. I met an imagineer and a convention (I don't want to say his name because I know how strict Disney is about what their workers say, so if you want the name just PM me) and he said he did work on VMK while it was still in the concept stages but wasn't told anything about it closing until me and a few others asked him about it.

So if you're going to try to save VMK, shoot for the Walt Disney Internet Group or someone in the company who has influence over these decisions. And don't give up on your dream, either! There was another Imagineer who I never got the name of who said he dreamt of being an Imagineer since he was eight. He achieved his dream, and so can you.

EDIT: By the way, sorry if I repeated anything. I didn't read any of the posts before me.

You hit the nail on the head. Imagineers design rides and do background stuff. For VMK, I would consider the Disney Internet Group, or DIG. They may both be Di$ney, but it's sort of like TV shows and movies: each person is part of the same thing, but they all have different parts. In movies, there are directors, choreographers, costume designers, script writers, etc. These people may not interact at some points, since they all have different jobs. The director, however, is sort of like the C.E.O of Disney. (I forget his name) He's in charge. Imagineers are basically their own lil group.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:05 PM
VMK Saver??? Uh... no
Awards Showcase

VIP
What actually the plan was: when WDW would want a new part of TMG (like Main Street and Frontierland), I would make a remake of VMK in real. To make some extra magic, I would say: make VMK start again, that creates extra magic. That always helps at Disney .

Last edited by supertanno; 06-27-2008 at 01:15 PM..
Old 06-27-2008, 04:37 PM
Can I be a "Registered-"?
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 2

Zimonada is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertanno View Post
I mean that dreams are something that you REALLY have to work for and believe in, because most often than not they don't come true. I'm not saying you can't do it, I'm just saying if you manage to it definitely won't be easy.

"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land upon the stars.."

All credit goes to Ammie!
Old 06-27-2008, 04:41 PM
AllEarsOnDisney

manunderwater ’s Invisible pin is 5* - Spooky!
you think so, look at Marty Sklar, he's been in WED Enterprises, now WD Imagineering, since 1961 and is still and Imagineer. He's almost been at it for 50 years! But actually when he graduated he had a full time job at Disneyland in 1956, where he held responsibility for most of the park's publicity and marketing materials. There are some people who are dedicated to their jobs, and will not retire until they can't do it anymore...

Last edited by UpInTheAir; 06-28-2008 at 06:36 AM..
Old 06-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Is Brave really Brave?
Awards Showcase
Happy Holidays'09 Award VMK Memories Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 3

Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: AFK
bravejacob is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
the second time was with HOST_Lily and HOST_Hurricane, and they couldn't stop laughing. Is this idea then THAT weird?
Thats mean. When you bring VMK back please get some nice host's that can really help us!
Old 06-29-2008, 03:41 AM
The Greatest Disney Fan!!
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award 

My Mood: SaveVMK
Rodolfito ’s Invisible pin is 5* - Spooky!
I want to be an imagineer too i guess I am at a good start taking ap classes and getting rid of college credits..also might start taking engineering classes, however, I did know several imagineers that just played vmk and they said they couldn´t do anything about it closing
Old 06-29-2008, 04:30 AM
Nothing.
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award 

My Mood: Adventurous
ivanbyte9 is spinning in a Cursed Storm
supertanno, if you re eligible enough and have a heart big enough to do it, you can actually make it happen again in the future and build up more dreams for maybe children of VMK players that were there this past three years.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:24 AM
Noise amongst the static
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Signature Donation Award 
Total Awards: 3

My Mood: SaveVMK
LordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Hehheh. I wish you the best of luck in pursuing your future career An Imagineer in WDIG sounds like a great job. They need some more people who grew up playing games, and knows a thing or two about them.

P.S.: A bit of shameless self-promotion for my future self, but, ah... assuming I reach my goals for 30 years from now... If you ever need help with that new VMK, don't hesitate to call up Darkterror Productions :P

I will walk heavy, and I will walk strange.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:38 PM
SPEED DEMON<3
Awards Showcase
Caption Contest Participant's Award Design an Outfit Winner's Award Happy Holidays'09 Award Design a Pin Participation's Award Patriot 2009 Award Happy Valentine's Joy To The World Smile For Entering Award 
Total Awards: 9

My Mood: Cloud_9
Akovia is floating through Inner Space
The hosts shouldn't have laughed at you. You had an idea.. maybe you WILL become an imageneer.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:34 PM
Banned
Awards Showcase
Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 1

VIP
My Mood: Curmudgeon
lemonysnicket3 ’s feet are on fire with Dancing Infernolemonysnicket3 ’s feet are on fire with Dancing Infernolemonysnicket3 ’s feet are on fire with Dancing Infernolemonysnicket3 ’s feet are on fire with Dancing Infernolemonysnicket3 ’s feet are on fire with Dancing Inferno
Quote:
I'm not trying to buzz-kill here, but it really would be easier to just make another VMK. From my (so far) limited knowledge of computer programming, VMK isn't too too complex; or at least in comparison to other online games. I'd guess that anyone who can walk out of university/college with a degree in programming or game design could easily make another VMK (not counting things like funding and staffing.. etc)

It takes a bit of work, but not as, let's say, toontown online.

First, you have to make the base animations for each option. Then, somehow, you have to make the ability to combine those. Such as the 100% Caucasian torso body movements should be able to be combined with the 100% Caucasian Cargo shorts (Blue) and Sneakers.

Then, you have to program games. This required hit detection (to see when something hits a certain object, what it does, the availibility of speedy input, and many other things.

That's the base of it. There's much more complex stuff though ^_^. A lot of coding.

Last edited by Jezzi; 06-30-2008 at 11:03 PM.. Reason: response to deleted post
Old 07-18-2008, 10:54 AM
VMK Saver??? Uh... no
Awards Showcase

VIP
Quote:
I'm not trying to buzz-kill here, but it really would be easier to just make another VMK. From my (so far) limited knowledge of computer programming, VMK isn't too too complex; or at least in comparison to other online games. I'd guess that anyone who can walk out of university/college with a degree in programming or game design could easily make another VMK (not counting things like funding and staffing.. etc)
Don't forget that VMK is copyrighted. And if I listen to what Disney does with people who steal their copyright... *shivers* I don't want to get that on me.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:07 PM
is back in reality
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

ozzietropics is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
I know, and I know that I prbably be around the 30 years (omg) when I can start with being an Imagineer (here in Holland it works a bit different then in the USA, so...), but it's my goal and my dream, I work and study hard at school, I will give everything to become an Imagineer, and I also know that I will have to go to a "Disney College" after normal college. But I don't care about that, I like school, so...

But I was talking about a realistic VMK, a part of The Magic Kingdom (TMK) or something, like Main Street is also a part of TMK. And in 30 years, I'm around 40 years, and not 30, I mean, some experience can be handy, no?

1. Imagineers DO have power over Disney online communities, for as far s but not much.

2. I want to become Imagineer, not CEO, because I like rollercoasters with the Disney magic.

Walt Disney Imagineering is not related to Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Online. WDI isn't even part of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts; it exists separately. WDI does not have a say in the Disney online communities (tell me if I'm wrong) because they have nothing to do with each other; they are completely separate branches of the company. A "VMK Imagineer" is nothing more than a term used to describe the producers and computer graphics designers working behind the scenes. Walt Disney Imagineering does not have Imagineers working in WDPRO, as Imagineers work in the WDI division, nothing more.

Also be wary that to be an Imagineer in the first place, you must be the best at what ever it is you are doing. You do not apply looking for a job as an Imagineer, Imagineering will find you, not the other way around. You have to have at least a Masters degree, and a degree in design. I'm not saying you shouldn't try to be an Imagineer, by all means go for it. You could have the potential to be one.

If you want to be an Imagineer, you won't have the power to create VMK, nor could you work on it should it re-open, because then you would have to work at WDPRO (or whatever that new division they call it now) and not WDI. Also note that you aren't a full time worker at WDI, unless you are extermely good; as you only work there for projects.

Some of you are thinking that I'm talking smack and I have no clue what I'm talking about, or that I'm a dream crusher. As it turns out, at WDW you can have lunch (or dinner) with a real Walt Disney Imagineer. It's a tad expensive, but I definitely would recommend it for any fan of the Walt Disney Company, Imagineering, or anyone who would want to be one. I did that and had the privelige to meet the Imagineer who designed the billboards of the Studios, among others. As it turns out, his neighbor worked with the Walt Disney Company, and he got lucky. (He was working in the hotel interior design business before.) I've also spoken with some who had friends working in the company, but couldn't make it to Imagineering.

In college you may want to try the ImagiNations competition. Information found here: http://disney.go.com/disneycareers/imaginations/

I'm not trying to discourage your dream at all. I'm only shedding some light on some popular misconceptions. If you want to be a Walt Disney Imagineer and work with the infraststructure in the parks, then by all means be an Imagineer, but remember that you will not be involved with VMK in any way, shape or form, nor would you have a say in it re-opening. If you really want VMK to re-open I suggest you get a job at the Walt Disney Internet Group, where you could build yourself up little by little (over the course of years) in order to make the decision to re-build it, given that you know everything it takes to make VMK and all of the logistics.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

~Tropics