Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > Project: SAVE VMK! > Project: SAVE VMK! Archive

Project: SAVE VMK! Archive Archive forum for Project: SAVE VMK!

Old A fight isn't over...

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:57 PM
Noise amongst the static
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Signature Donation Award 
Total Awards: 3

My Mood: SaveVMK
LordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Yes. Like mrmyth said, although VMK is gone, little has changed upon the metaphorical battleground. If anything, continuing even though the game is closed shows that we're even more serious than they previously thought.

We're all upset about the closing. I, personally, have only been able to get back in contact with about 5 of my 150 VMK friends, and never got to say goodbye to the rest.

But I'm not going to just sit in a corner and cry about it. I'm going to fight for VMK.

I will walk heavy, and I will walk strange.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:03 PM
blehh♥♥
Awards Showcase
Halloween'10 Award Spooky Scribe Award Golden Years Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Design a Pin Participation's Award Patriot 2009 Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Caption Contest Winner 
Total Awards: 12

My Mood: Baffled
xoop is covered with Confettixoop is covered with Confettixoop is covered with Confetti
Has it ever occurred to you that... PIXELS are going away--not real life.
You have real life friends and family--not to mention real life money. Real life furniture. You pause your life to play VMK (well some do). Did this ever occur to you? Real life is staring us in the face but our faces were staring into a virtual life of virtual friends and family. VIRTUAL. PIXELS. FAKE. Friends who you only knew the outside of. All virtual. Sure, there's a person on the other side of that pixelated character you call friend, but you don't know it as well as you know your real-life friends. Maybe...VMK closed for the good of us. All of us. Whether you like it or not, you may see your life changing before your eyes. It's not a pixelated life. It's real. Think about it.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:47 PM
BUNNIES.
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

AstroAcer is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordIllidan View Post
Which, in essence, makes it sound a lot HARDER than what we're doing. And yet, they still did it, didn't they?

(Also: Martin Luther King Jr. seemed to do it without bloodshed...)
Honestly, I would think that saving VMK would be harder. All of the examples that you and others had mentioned were fights for REAL THINGS. VMK was virtual, and therefore I'd say that it'd be way harder to save. Especially since you're fighting against Disney.

Also, I didn't mean that they all used violence to reach their goals. Some of them faced violence, as Martin Luther King Jr. did. Many people (including Martin Luther King Jr.) were hurt and killed during that ordeal; how can you say that there was no bloodshed?

Quote:
Not the game itself, no. But the journey we must undertake to get it back open...
...would leave a great memory in the minds of whoever fought to keep it open?

Quote:
It's a small source of revenue that upset a lot of people, quite a few of which have cancelled their subscriptions to other, more paying games.
What is quite a few people compared to the masses that play their games?

Quote:
Yeah, but how many of those other ways will they put as much passion into as this one?
Are you serious? You think that kids would be more passionate about saving VMK then something such as supporting finding the cure for a life-threatening illness? If they went past their selfishness, they'd understand which is more important.

Quote:
I honestly don't believe this is a lost cause. Disney has changed their minds about things before, who's to say that can't do it again?
Nobody. And while there might be a chance, it would be a very, very, very small one.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:31 PM
Noise amongst the static
Awards Showcase

LordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoop View Post
Has it ever occurred to you that... PIXELS are going away--not real life.
Yes. So?
Quote:
You have real life friends and family--not to mention real life money. Real life furniture.
Yes. So?
Quote:
You pause your life to play VMK (well some do).
And you're pausing your life to argue with us when we're not hindering your life in any way.

Quote:
Did this ever occur to you?
Yes. So?
Quote:
Real life is staring us in the face but our faces were staring into a virtual life of virtual friends and family.
And quite a few ofus were able to balance both.

Quote:
VIRTUAL. PIXELS. FAKE.
Go read Gamer Theory by McKenzie Wark. These "pixels" you speak of have much more meaning than you act like they do.

Quote:
Friends who you only knew the outside of.
I'm sorry, but I really find no use in knowing my friend's blood pressure, prefered brand of battery, etc. etc.

I don't have to know everything about a friend to like them.
Quote:
All virtual.
Yes. So?

Quote:
Sure, there's a person on the other side of that pixelated character you call friend, but you don't know it as well as you know your real-life friends.
Not true. There are many online friends that are closer to me than some of my real friends, and vice versa. Just because they're on the other side of the screen doesn't necessarily mean they're instantly less important.

Quote:
Maybe...VMK closed for the good of us. All of us. Whether you like it or not, you may see your life changing before your eyes. It's not a pixelated life. It's real. Think about it.
*Coughcough* I haven't been on VMK since December, thank you very much. So don't try to pull the "Face real life" stuff on me. Real life is the reason I've been away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroAcer View Post
Honestly, I would think that saving VMK would be harder. All of the examples that you and others had mentioned were fights for REAL THINGS. VMK was virtual, and therefore I'd say that it'd be way harder to save. Especially since you're fighting against Disney.
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know that friendships and communities were only myths.

Quote:
Also, I didn't mean that they all used violence to reach their goals. Some of them faced violence, as Martin Luther King Jr. did. Many people (including Martin Luther King Jr.) were hurt and killed during that ordeal; how can you say that there was no bloodshed?
The way you were talking, you sounded like those cases of history worked because of the bloodshed.

Regardless, I hate having to pull the history card. Too expected, and doesn't have the same effect it used to. Let's move along.

Quote:
...would leave a great memory in the minds of whoever fought to keep it open?
Yep. So then, years later, they can go "Hey, if we made it so far back then (Regardless of if we won or not,) Why can't we go farther this time?"

Quote:
What is quite a few people compared to the masses that play their games?
Considering Disney is a corporation that has to look out for the best interests of the shareholders, if the damage we do is higher than what it costs to just run VMK...

Again, though, I personally do not like boycotting.

Quote:
Are you serious? You think that kids would be more passionate about saving VMK then something such as supporting finding the cure for a life-threatening illness? If they went past their selfishness, they'd understand which is more important.
The thing is, how much can the average person do for the latter? Donate money, and maybe give some encouraging words for those who are affected by the illness.

What can they do to save VMK? Alot.

If everyone only cared about the "Most important" problem, The rest would never get fixed.

Quote:
Nobody. And while there might be a chance, it would be a very, very, very small one.
No smaller than it was before.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:19 AM
blehh♥♥
Awards Showcase
Halloween'10 Award Spooky Scribe Award Golden Years Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Design a Pin Participation's Award Patriot 2009 Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Caption Contest Winner 
Total Awards: 12

My Mood: Baffled
xoop is covered with Confettixoop is covered with Confettixoop is covered with Confetti
>_< I am thinking we have really different opinions on this...and I'm thinking you were much more attached to VMK than me..
Old 05-27-2008, 02:20 AM
Tim Burton Fan for Life

PinkTinkPixie is covered with ConfettiPinkTinkPixie is covered with ConfettiPinkTinkPixie is covered with Confetti
In response to xoop's posts:

I agree with you to a certain extent with the whole, "Pixels" thing. Yes, it's not real life, and it's nowhere near as important as the issues we may face in real life. But that doesn't mean it isn't important.

In regard to VMK's closing, it really is a matter of opinion. Some may think it's completely pointless to fight over a battle that we've already lost (though we really haven't), and some may dedicate all of their time to keep fighting. Just because this is a game doesn't mean it's unimportant, and not worth fighting for. Think about people who make video games for a living. They make money off of it, right? They make money off of something that frankly, we don't need. It's something we want. And obviously, it's something that is worth paying someone for.

So if video game creators can make money off of something completely pointless, then why does it seem so strange to fight to keep a video game alive? There's really no difference, if you ask me.

I don't know if any of this will make sense to you, I've never been good at writing down the thoughts that I have in my head :/ Ah well, I tried

~Pink

-The Little Prince
By Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Last edited by PinkTinkPixie; 05-27-2008 at 02:22 AM.. Reason: Changed a few things...
Old 05-27-2008, 03:23 AM
Monorail Mixer
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

BlazinBeats is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoop View Post
>_< I am thinking we have really different opinions on this...and I'm thinking you were much more attached to VMK than me..
Yet he missed the closing, and hasn't been on VMK since December?
Old 05-27-2008, 03:58 AM
Noise amongst the static
Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinBeats View Post
Yet he missed the closing, and hasn't been on VMK since December?
Hehheh. Don't get me wrong, I love VMK. I just know real life comes first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkTinkPixie View Post
In regard to VMK's closing, it really is a matter of opinion. Some may think it's completely pointless to fight over a battle that we've already lost (though we really haven't), and some may dedicate all of their time to keep fighting. Just because this is a game doesn't mean it's unimportant, and not worth fighting for. Think about people who make video games for a living. They make money off of it, right? They make money off of something that frankly, we don't need. It's something we want. And obviously, it's something that is worth paying someone for.

So if video game creators can make money off of something completely pointless, then why does it seem so strange to fight to keep a video game alive? There's really no difference, if you ask me.

I don't know if any of this will make sense to you, I've never been good at writing down the thoughts that I have in my head :/ Ah well, I tried

~Pink
Well, not only that, but, to many, Video games aren't just a form of entertainment. It's a form of art, similar to music and painting.

Just look at some screenshots of VMK. Even when it's deserted, there's these tiny little details that make it feel like a humongous, living, breathing world. Take, for example, the big New York-esque city you can see far down below from the monorail station, or how the islands on the Pirates game (The one that gives you ship codes) have their own geography, almost like real islands.

They put a lot of time, effort, and artistic vision into making VMK. Shutting it down is equivalent to burning a painting just because it didn't sell for high enough in an auction (regardless of how many people wanted it)

Old 05-27-2008, 04:12 AM
Tim Burton Fan for Life

PinkTinkPixie is covered with ConfettiPinkTinkPixie is covered with ConfettiPinkTinkPixie is covered with Confetti
Quote:
Just look at some screenshots of VMK. Even when it's deserted, there's these tiny little details that make it feel like a humongous, living, breathing world. Take, for example, the big New York-esque city you can see far down below from the monorail station, or how the islands on the Pirates game (The one that gives you ship codes) have their own geography, almost like real islands.

They put a lot of time, effort, and artistic vision into making VMK. Shutting it down is equivalent to burning a painting just because it didn't sell for high enough in an auction (regardless of how many people wanted it)
Hm, I never thought of it like that.. you're absolutely right, though.
You remind me of one of my friends from real life, just in the way that you talk about things That was a bit off topic, but.. you do. Hah.

~Pink

-The Little Prince
By Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Old 05-27-2008, 05:37 PM
BUNNIES.
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

AstroAcer is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know that friendships and communities were only myths.

Sorry, I guess I didn't say it correctly. I'm not one of the people who says that VMK was just a game; I believe that it was a community where friendships were made and such. When I wrote that I was looking at it from Disney's perspective. I doubt that they'd think that VMK was a community, to be honest.

Quote:
The way you were talking, you sounded like those cases of history worked because of the bloodshed.

Regardless, I hate having to pull the history card. Too expected, and doesn't have the same effect it used to. Let's move along.
No, that isn't what I was trying to say. I was simply attempting to say that those things were fights in which people had to face violent opposition and similar to reach their goals. Whereas with saving VMK you face a huge company, and not much else.

Quote:
Yep. So then, years later, they can go "Hey, if we made it so far back then (Regardless of if we won or not,) Why can't we go farther this time?"
Not everything that you campaign for will be like VMK. Saving VMK doesn't involve the chance that you'll be killed, injured, or arrested (well, at least it doesn't for most people). I don't think that you can compare your fight to save VMK with some other possible fights...

Quote:
Considering Disney is a corporation that has to look out for the best interests of the shareholders, if the damage we do is higher than what it costs to just run VMK...

Again, though, I personally do not like boycotting.
The only things that we could do to damage Disney enough to put back VMK would probably be illegal.

Quote:
The thing is, how much can the average person do for the latter? Donate money, and maybe give some encouraging words for those who are affected by the illness.

What can they do to save VMK? Alot.

If everyone only cared about the "Most important" problem, The rest would never get fixed.
But, are the rest even worth fixing? What purpose will they serve if those fights are won? In VMK's case, it would provide enjoyment for a small number of people.

Well, I'm sure we can continue arguing like this forever. But, I doubt that either one of us really wants to go on that long, lol. I see that this is something that you are adamant about and that I can't persuade you otherwise. Not only would it be near-impossible to get you to change your mind, but now that I think about it not everybody believes the same things to be worth fighting for. I'll keep my opinion and won't bug the radicals such as yourself anymore. I never wanted to offend anybody, I just didn't want to see people spending the majority of their time trying to save VMK.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:33 PM
.♥.·´¯`Candy´¯`·.♥.
Awards Showcase
Spooky Scribe Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award 
Total Awards: 4

Clan Leader VIP
My Mood: Cheeky
AthleticAisha is spinning in a Cursed Storm
honestly, disney is being stubborn. i dont think they will ever open it back up unless they suddenly get a change of heart. fighting still Might do something, who knows, but really, what else is there we could do? the people who arent around disney parks are just stuck on their computer trying to do stuff by signing petitions. it seems disney doesnt give a care what kids think, yet, their target is mainly kids.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Hello, Love ★
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award 

My Mood: AFK
Thriller is as Frosty as a Snowman
I will try to keep fighting. As said in my goodbye, I can't find much motivation or strength to get on the the computer.

Xoop, I have to say, I agree to some extent. The pixels are fake, but are our emotions and wishes?

Another thing, stop using "Would Walt ______?" as an excuse. He died in the 60s, and we really don't know what he'd do. So please stop using that.

Keep fighting everyone. Keep fighting.

Last edited by Thriller; 05-27-2008 at 11:37 PM..
Old 05-27-2008, 11:05 PM
₪ ø lll ·o.
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 2

My Mood: Insomnious
spot41414 is covered with Confettispot41414 is covered with Confettispot41414 is covered with Confetti
There never was a fight.
You can't fight without two different sides to it.
They were never fighting against you guys. They shrugged off your little protests and went their own way.
They didn't fight. VMK's closed, and that's that.

You can't fight without two sides to the battle.

~Spotty
Old 05-27-2008, 11:29 PM
Can I be a "Registered-"?
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 2

Zimonada is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by spot41414 View Post
There never was a fight.
You can't fight without two different sides to it.
They were never fighting against you guys. They shrugged off your little protests and went their own way.
They didn't fight. VMK's closed, and that's that.

You can't fight without two sides to the battle.

~Spotty
That does not mean there wasn't a fight. It simply means they won the battle.. however nobody has won the war.

All credit goes to Ammie!
Old 05-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Monorail Mixer
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

BlazinBeats is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Hehheh. Don't get me wrong, I love VMK. I just know real life comes first.
Haha I know. I was just proving a point. ^^