Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Magic Kingdoms > The Other Magic Kingdoms

The Other Magic Kingdoms Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong, all the other Disney parks looking for a forum of their own

Old Disney Characters to be added to HKDL's It's a small world attraction

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Piano Man!
Awards Showcase
Happy St. Patrick's Day Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 2

My Mood: Where
groovysqirrel is floating through Inner Space
Disney Characters to be added to HKDL's It's a small world attraction

After watching a promotional video for new things coming to HKDL this year, I thought this stood out the most.

Yes, they are adding characters such as Lilo and Stitch and Peter Pan (I know these, as they were shown in the video). It is also rumored that this is what the 9-Month Refurb. of DLR's It's a Small World attraction was for - to add the characters.

Kevin L. Blair (son of Disney artist Mary Blair) wrote on a website (blog) protesting the addition of Disney Characters into the classic ride. He writes.. "The Disney characters of themselves are positive company icons, but they do not fit in with the original theme of the ride. They will do nothing except to marginalize the rightful stars of the ride 'The Children of the World'."

Also, on another website a poll was put up asking for peoples opinions on the rumored addition. 90% said the additions should not be put into the attraction.

Disney Imagineers have not confirmed the addition to California's It's a Small World attraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouseplanet.com
In a statement to the Los Angeles Times, Walt Disney Imagineering spokeswoman Marilyn Waters said, “No one approaches our classic attractions with more reverence than Disney Imagineers who take great care when refreshing beloved attractions. As with all our classics, any enhancements made to It’s a Small World will be in the original spirit of celebrating the children of the world.”

Post Opinions, Comments, etc. Here!

As for other things in the video, they talked about the Muppets Roaming Lab coming to HKDL and what seems to be a Submarine Voyage/Turtle Talk with Crush ride.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Meanest Player Ever
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award 
Total Awards: 1

mickey0794 ’s Invisible pin is 5* - Spooky!
I cannot find a single video....... ( except for badly-made ones that bored people made )
Old 03-24-2008, 04:15 PM
If the boot fits..

TheRealPumpkinQueen is as Frosty as a Snowman
I spoke with a long time cast member at DLR in December and he told me Small World was getting refurb on the boats.... after many, many years of re-painting them ( so that they always look pretty) coat after coat the boats are getting too heavy. Of course while it is closed they could add Disney Characters. I for one hope they do not. I LOVE the art work of Mary Blair and i think by adding Disney characters they would be attempting to insert Disney magic into to something that has a magic of its own.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

luckyone is spinning in a Cursed Storm
the shouldn't change it, it is a classic and i like small world the way it is
Old 03-26-2008, 01:32 AM
Eragon(the book) rules!

EragonFan is spinning in a Cursed Storm
They have conformed that characters will be added to the ride. The following is an article from the LAtimes.com website.(I do not know how to use the quote formatting or else I would)

"Disneyland plans to incorporate stylized Disney characters into It’s a Small World in keeping with attraction creator Mary Blair’s original designs and color palette, Walt Disney Imagineering officials confirmed.

An “Alice in Wonderland” doll wearing a blue dress and a white rabbit in a playing card tunic based on illustrations created by Blair while working on the 1951 animated movie will be added to the England segment of the classic boat ride, officials said. The Alice and rabbit characters will be added near a chessboard and red rose tree already existing in the Small World attraction.

Officials confirmed that Alice is one of several Disney characters that will be added to Disneyland’s Small World in a controversial plan that has infuriated some purists. Officials have insisted that Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse will not appear in the Anaheim attraction.

The major rehab, which has been in the works for eight years, will “respect and honor the original creative intent” of Blair’s iconic work while adding “new richness, excitement and relevance,” according to an Imagineering official. The renovated ride will not be a “carbon copy” of the new Small World attraction at Hong Kong Disneyland, officials said."

Last edited by EragonFan; 03-26-2008 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: added picture
Old 03-26-2008, 01:39 AM
Piano Man!
Awards Showcase

Hmm.. again with the revamping of rides to supposedly "make them better; more magical." Horrible idea Disney, same as the Tom Saywer Island and Pirates of the Caribbean incidents.

I will ride to see how different it is, but it won't nearly be as magical as before.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:50 AM
TR2N Are You Ready?
Awards Showcase
2010 Holiday Award Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award Which Disney Character Participant's Award Spooky Scribe Award Halloween '09 Award Golden Years Award Patriot 2009 Award 
Total Awards: 13

Destination has turned into a sparkling Pirate!Destination has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
Wow, that sounds cool!
Old 03-26-2008, 01:52 AM
WDW lover :)
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award Halloween'11 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 
Total Awards: 26

My Mood: Disney
GoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealPumpkinQueen View Post
I spoke with a long time cast member at DLR in December and he told me Small World was getting refurb on the boats.... after many, many years of re-painting them ( so that they always look pretty) coat after coat the boats are getting too heavy. Of course while it is closed they could add Disney Characters. I for one hope they do not. I LOVE the art work of Mary Blair and i think by adding Disney characters they would be attempting to insert Disney magic into to something that has a magic of its own.
Perfectly said.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:55 AM
Registered+

Mooshu has disabled reputation
Oh gosh, I really hope they don't add the Disney characters.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Registered+

Tole is spinning in a Cursed Storm
They could add one Disney character without ruining it.

Mickey.

A hidden one.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Piano Man!
Awards Showcase

Ok, so I found some videos of the "soft-opening" for the HKDL attraction. Let me personally say, this was a horrible mistake (in my opinion, of course). They don't fit in with the attraction, and like I read on another board "Isn't the ride the CHILDREN of the world??," not the characters.

Obviously Disney will be Disney and not listen to their fans, but post comments here.

Last edited by groovysqirrel; 05-07-2008 at 12:51 AM..
Old 05-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Dont be afraid
Awards Showcase
Design a Pin Participation's Award Expert Relocator Participants Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Caption Contest Participant Happy Valentine's Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 6

Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Cautious
TBs_Creation is floating through Inner Space
Eh I really dont like this idea but its not my choice. Anyways i recorded the SW part of the HKDL promo sorry theres no sound
http://www.youshare.com/view.php?file=clip0099.avi
Old 05-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Im Still Active! XD

Wondermanforever is as Frosty as a Snowman
Quote:
Originally Posted by EragonFan View Post

oh my god thats scary LOL...

June 1st, 2006- May 21st, 2008