Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Other > Arts, Creativity, Sigs, & Avatars > VMK & Disney Audio/Video Forum

VMK & Disney Audio/Video Forum Post your audio/video files here about VMK and Disney. All posts are moderated in this forum.

Old Guide to Creating Videos of VMK

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 11-16-2005, 03:01 AM
Registered++

My Mood: Sporkness
MisterToad has turned into a sparkling Pirate!MisterToad has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
Exclamation Guide to Creating Videos of VMK

For months now I have been meaning to post instructions on how to make a video of VMK. Today I finally got around to doing it. There are many tools available for recording what is on your screen. In this tutorial I will describe how to make a video using the free Windows Media Encoder. These instructions assume you are running Windows XP.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage caused to your computer. I have performed the steps outlined below on my own computer without any problems, but if your hard drive crashes or your monitor explodes, it's not my fault.

1. Download the Windows Media Encoder (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en) and install it.

2. Run the Windows Media Encoder. It should be on your Start Menu: All Programs -> Windows Media -> Windows Media Encoder

3. The following window should appear:

Select "Capture screen" and click OK

4. In the next step, select what part of the screen you want to record:

You can select "Specific window", but that will include the entire browser window. I recommend selecting "Region of the screen", which will allow you to select a specific area that you want to record.
If you want to record sound, check the "Capture audio from the default audio device" checkbox.
Click the Next button to continue.

5. In the next step, you will get to select the exact area of the screen that you want to record:

Click the selection button, which is below the text "Do you want to use the selection button?" The Windows Media Encoder window will minimize. Click one corner of the area that you want to record. Then hold down the mouse button and drag to the opposite corner of the area that you want to record. When you release the mouse button, the Windows Media Encoder window will be back on the screen.

6. In the next step, enter a file name for your video:

7. In the next step, select the video quality that you want:

I recommend High quality. The video quality is very good and the file size is quite reasonable.

8. In the next step, enter information about your video:

The information you enter will be displayed when the video is played in Windows Media Player.

9. In the next step, verify that everything looks ok:

Make sure the "Begin capturing screens when I click Finish" checkbox is checked and click Finish to start recording.

10. The following message will appear:

Click OK to start recording.

11. The Windows Media Encoder window will minimize and recording will begin. When you are finished recording, click on Windows Media Encoder on the taskbar and click the Stop button on the toolbar:

12. A summary window will be displayed:

Click Close to close the summary window, or click Play Output File to watch your video.

At this point you may want to edit your video. Video editing is beyond the scope of this tutorial. If you are running Windows XP, you should have Windows Movie Maker, which you can use to edit your video.

Now you need to put your video where others can see it. There are sites that will host videos for free, such as Putfile (http://www.************). You can upload files up to 10 MB on Putfile, or 25 MB if you sign up for a free account.

I hope this tutorial has been helpful. Feel free to post any tips or ideas that you have.

Last edited by Garfieldo; 01-23-2008 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: Fixed image links.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:39 AM
Around...

Poseidon ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasurePoseidon ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasurePoseidon ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasurePoseidon ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasurePoseidon ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasurePoseidon ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
WOW. Thanks! Now I can film some of my zany moments from Toontown, also!
Old 11-18-2005, 11:26 PM
:)
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World Smile For Entering Award 
Total Awards: 2

OstrichSam is floating through Inner Space
Thanks!! I have been wondering how to make a movie! Now i can make movies of random parts of my VMK time. thanks again!

ostrichasam
Old 11-18-2005, 11:52 PM
Registered+

QueenCourt is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Thanks so much! very very helpful, do I save it to edit it on Windows Movie thingy
Old 11-19-2005, 12:05 AM
Awards Showcase

I just made a movie, but when i played it it was very slow and didnt show up too well. hmm...
Old 11-19-2005, 12:09 AM
So the drama.

witchesrock is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Cool!

(Short)

. . .
Old 11-19-2005, 12:12 AM
Registered++

MisterToad has turned into a sparkling Pirate!MisterToad has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCourt
Thanks so much! very very helpful, do I save it to edit it on Windows Movie thingy
When you are finished recording, there will be a movie file in the location that you specified in step 6. You can then do whatever editing you want to that file.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:15 AM
New Jersey Gurl

Aprilblues ’s Invisible pin is 5* - Spooky!
thx ! this is great
Old 11-19-2005, 12:28 AM
Nimbus

TheIdolMara is as Frosty as a Snowman
Toad thanks so much. You are a saint -gets on knees and thanks Toad- Now Idol pants can record VMK the movie! LOL jk
Old 11-19-2005, 12:41 AM
Registered++

Quote:
Originally Posted by OstrichSam
I just made a movie, but when i played it it was very slow and didnt show up too well. hmm...
You need a pretty fast computer to handle both VMK and the Windows Media Encoder running at the same time. You might try experimenting with different frame rates and/or bit rates.

In step 9, uncheck the "Begin capturing screens when I click Finish" checkbox and click Finish.
Click the Properties button on the toolbar.
Go to the Compression page.
Click the Edit button.
Under "Target bit rates", select the "259 Kbps (259000 bps)" line. (It should be the only item in the list.)
Click the Edit button.
The frame rate should be 15 frames per second. You might have better luck with a lower frame rate, such as 10, or even 5 fps.
If the video quality is poor, try increasing the Video bit rate. The higher the bit rate, the larger the file will be, so you don't want to go too high.
Click the Start Encoding button on the toolbar to start recording.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:44 AM
Awards Showcase

ok

I'll try that! I wonder why it isn't working too well, i do have a fast computer. Oh well! Thanks again for this guide!! I am planning on making a movie of OstrichSam's day in vmk.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:06 AM
Vmk power

thegoof is as Frosty as a Snowman
I have recorded my file, how do I save it as a video?
Old 11-19-2005, 03:21 AM
Registered++

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegof
I have recorded my file, how do I save it as a video?
In Step 6 you specify the video file name. When you stop recording, that file should be created, and you can play it in Windows Media Player or post it somewhere for others to view.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:28 AM
R.I.P. VMK

Clan Leader Here Since Day 1 VIP
F0REVERL0ST is Buried in TreasureF0REVERL0ST is Buried in Treasure
Thank you MisterToad for this very helpful thread!
Old 11-19-2005, 03:53 AM
Vmk power

thegoof is as Frosty as a Snowman
Ty MisterToad got it to work!