Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Other > Virtual Stories

Virtual Stories A magic place of fable and fantasy where all can enjoy the mythical adventures.

Old Tips for Story-Writers

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:49 AM
whatsup?

bohemiaLOVE is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Tips for Story-Writers

Tips for Story-Writers

I've decided to make a guide for tips to writing stories. If you'd like to add anything to this guide, please just PM me what you think you'd like added. And it shall be.

Index

1. Thinking of Your Story, and Story Title
2. Writing it out
3. Reviewing Your Story, and Making Some Changes
4. Grammar Tips and Correct Punctuation
5. Keeping Readers Hooked

1. Thinking of Your Story, and Story Title

Some writers have trouble thinking of a story to write. They have an urge to write, but nothing comes to mind. What to do when that happens? Write a list! Here's a tip to what I like to do:
A. Brainstorm!

Brainstorming is a little something I like to do when I'm stumped with what to write about.
Here's an example for a member who wants to write a nature story, but they just can't think of what to write. Maybe about animals, or about people who lived in the early times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaNature
Hm.. What to write... What to write..
My Topic Should be about something that includes nature in it.
Let's write a list:
1. A story about bugs. Like Ant or Bug Life.
2. A story about early people.
3. A story a type of animal.
4. A story on a group of people who live in their backyard.
The next step is to Eliminate your extra choices. Perhaps the 'back yard' idea, was a little too much. Cross if off your list and look at your other alternatives. Maybe you don't really know a lot about bugs. Cross that off..
And maybe you don't get along too well with History.
Cross that off, too..

The only thing left is, a story about a type of animal..
But what animal?

The animal you should choose is the animal you know most about, and enjoy the most. You shouldn't choose an animal just becauser you think people will like that animal more then your favorite animal. Its your choice, after all!

B. Think it out!

Spend some time sitting in a quiet space, and just daydream. Whatever interesting thing comes to mind, use it as your story topic!

C. Read a book!

Read a book by your favorite author. Maybe you may get an idea from your author and decide to write a book based on that book. Don't forget to credit your author!

PART 2: Thinking of a Title

Some writers may be confused on what title to choose after writing. Lets focus back on Lucia. Lucia decided to write a story on Red Pandas, because she recently did a research project on them, and they're her favorite animal.

Lucia has written her first chapter, but she's confused. She knows that making her title, "Red Panda Story" won't reel ANY readers in.

Some things I like to do when I'm in Lucia's position, is think of a title that would reel ME in if I was reading a story on Red Pandas. I'd probably choose a story that said, "The Red Wind". Or, "The Red Treebranch," Because, usually, treebranches aren't red, and they'd be kinda interesting.. I'd immediatrely read the story to see what it was about..

And BAM! its as simple as that!

Writing It Out

Writing the story is probably the most difficult part. You have to think of what to write, and when to write it. You should use the same tatics that you used for finding the story idea for finding what to do next in the story..

PART 1: The Characters

Everyone knows that without characters, the story is nothing. Think of characters that you would want to meet. If you're writing a story about a fwe girls who start a club about Baking, then you have to think of characters that you'd be friends or enemies with, and give them some 'baking' qualities. For example, write out a character sheet if you need more help. Here's a good example:
Quote:

Character Name: Claire Cars
Character Age: 10 Years Old
Character Personality: She's very nice, sweet and caring, and the best friend a gal could ever have. She loves to give advice to her fellow friends, and she just loves to listen.
Character Appearance: She has curly brown hair, that is shoulder length, and she's at a short height. She's skinny, and she's very pretty. Her eyes are green
Character Likes: Baking, Singing, Dancing, And Talking
Character Dislikes: Unknown.
Once you've got the characters you want, you're pretty much done and ready for the next step. Writing the first chapter.

Just let your hands flow, and let your brain do the walking. You'd be surprised at what comes out, if you just try Free-Form writing. A lot! I do this sometimes with English homework, and in class, I'm done already!

Remember, when writing your story, YOU DONT HAVE TO WRITE YOUR INTRODUCTION PARAGRAPH FIRST! Its much easier for writers to write out what they have ideas for, at first. Brain Blasts, work, too. I always get brain bursts when I'm at school or laying in my bed, getting ready to sleep. Always have a notebook by your bed, in your backpack or in your locker if you have one, so you can write your ideas once the bell rings for class or during lunch, or even when you're ready for bed. Its much easier, than trying to recollect the ideas from hours ago. They're fresh in your mind, and fresh on your pad. Just remember that

3: Reviewing Your Story, Making Some Changes

Part 1
Remember students, try not to continue with the block paragraphs. They're a bit too confusing for the reader, and your favorite author doesn't write in ONE BIG PARAGRAPH. Especially when you're writing a chapter book. Its important you space out your paragraph, giving everyone room to adjust from the first few sentences, to the next. Its easier said then done, yes I know. But, here's a little tip that will help you bear the burden. Count out how many sentences you want in a paragraph. 3, or 4, or 5. I always do this, when I'm tired or I need to write quickly, because I'm on a deadline (family matters.. le p.u.). Space out everything, make everything is in a calm collected paragraph, and then, start to editing.

Editing begins with a few things. Of course, I don't know the difference between Editing and Revising, because its really boring to drone on about how Revising is blabla and Editing is Blabla bla. I mean, you just want to write a story, right? Not listen to some boring report.

Make sure you have periods in your story. Any type of closing for a sentence, whether exclamation point or question mark, you must close a sentence. Its important, that you NEVER have a sentence like this:

Quote:
Kassy went into the car, and looked over at her mom, who was reading a book, and her dad who was eating a breakfast burrito she liked breakfast burritos because they had beans in them and they tasted really good, because, they had beans and rice and spices and you could feed them to your dog if you didn't like them, but then, it was bad because burritos gave our dog upset stomaches, so Kassy turned over and poked me quickly, and I giggled, and we played Poke-Her, a game we made up before, and then we decided that this was the best sleep over trip ever, and her mom came in the backseat and played go fish with us while her dad drove us to six flags, and we got there, and there was a long line at the turnstile, and Kassy was like, whoah, and I was like, this is so cool, and her mom was like, Oh No, and her dad was like, you know, like a giddy little girl, screaming and yelping with joy because there were tilt a whirls and stuff, and he really likes those, so then we saw mickey mouse, and kassy was like, This is six flags, not disney, why is mickey here!!!!!!!!! THE END!!!!
That didn't make sense. A whole jumble of sentences , makes you seem like you're rambling, and people use interest as soon as that bulky, no sentence ender, paragraph pops up onto their screen. No matter what color it is, its still bad. Remember, space out your paragraphs, and add sentence enders.. Or you'll have a big, fat paragraph that everyone wants to end, QUICKLY!

Last edited by bohemiaLOVE; 04-11-2007 at 02:05 AM..
Old 12-16-2006, 01:44 AM
luv ya

HappyGirlKels is spinning in a Cursed Storm
This is a really nice guide, and i'm sorry no one has posted any thoughts on it. but I have so, i love it! its going to help alot, i like to write storys on VMKF (vmk forums) Thx again!
Old 01-09-2007, 12:12 AM
Banned

Xiaolin has Fireworks shooting off over their headXiaolin has Fireworks shooting off over their headXiaolin has Fireworks shooting off over their headXiaolin has Fireworks shooting off over their head
I love this guide! Another thing you can do (to reel the reader in is) that you think of good metephors or similies. I used this do describe a castle:

The deep brown hardened walls were lined with bright torchs. The doors were steel-tight, rimmed with locks. Inside this chamber of darkness, sandy floors creeped in all directions. Torches flickered in each hallway, as though they were the only source of light in this chamber.

That's something of how I would do it. I thought of details and then I got excited about the story. Hope this helps.

Details (c) Xiaolin - 2007.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Oban:Star Racers

amberfreak is spinning in a Cursed Storm
LOL ty.
i will use these tips for my story,
"Sakura Saia and the neclace of souls"
lol.The title is dromadic,aint it?
Old 01-26-2007, 11:00 PM
R.I.P. VMK
Awards Showcase
VMK Memories Award Joy To The World Smile For Entering Award Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 4

Born In Park Here Since Day 1
My Mood: VMK
MagicMonkeys has disabled reputation
Awesome Guide!I'm thinking about writing my story!
Old 04-11-2007, 01:44 AM
whatsup?

bohemiaLOVE is spinning in a Cursed Storm

I was so worked up in training my Puppy and getting started in school and stuff, that I forgot to finish this guide! Next weekend, I promise I'll get started on the other parts of it. Gah.. I need to add it to my planner..
Old 05-05-2007, 03:38 PM
<333 Nightmare

LadyMaria is as Frosty as a Snowman
This is good guide. Also, if you're ever stuck with what to write or how to write something, reading books really helps.

And remember that you don't have to write it in the same 'format' as everyone else. One of my favorite books is written completly in poems, and its a great book. Then another is written like a diary, and another in 3rd person.

When writing books in 3rd person, sometimes adding lots of VOICE really makes a difference. Read the book 'Secret Agent', if you can.

Also, sometimes you'll be stuck for awhile and then you suddenly get an idea. I mean, it could be durring math or whatever, so take a notebook along with you so you can write ideas down.

EDIT: Oh okay, I see you have the 'read a book'.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:12 AM
Kitten

My Mood: Procastinating
PrincessofDragons is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Grammar IS important xD

Ya just gotta remember..

o Punctuation - Ex: July 20, 1984, was the day Sailor Thomas spotted land, found a new indian tribe, and met his best friend.
o Grammar - Fortune, not Fourchun xD
o Detail - Instead of saying: Bob walked home. Try somethin like, Bob walked home with his red dragon jacket, blue jeans, and the torn gallaz shoes his father had given to him. (that was pitiful..)
o Imagination - Try to make it interesting, dont just use the obvious. Think outside the box. xD

... I randomly posted this o_O
Old 09-22-2007, 09:06 PM
I will destroy it all !!!

Brave_Gogeta is spinning in a Cursed Storm
nah

ppl should really stop putting guides up like 70K of them exist
Old 09-22-2007, 09:17 PM
June 2nd 05 - May 21st 08
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Smilie Winners Award Joy To The World Smile For Entering Award 
Total Awards: 4

My Mood: Author
coolJamz has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundcoolJamz has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundcoolJamz has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave_Gogeta View Post
ppl should really stop putting guides up like 70K of them exist
agreed. i dont think we need anymore guides....
Old 03-28-2008, 06:44 PM
-Insert Title Here-
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 2

My Mood: Procastinating
SonicBoom is as Frosty as a Snowman
Idk if somebody already said this but,

Try not to start with:

-Once upon a time
-It was a dark and stormy night on (random date)
-etc. etc.

Be original, be creative!

-Thunderwind-
Old 02-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Hi There!
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

My Mood: Annoyed
PerfectShinyRiver is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Very Useful Tips!! =] Thanks so much!
Old 04-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Registered+

My Mood: Artistic
teddyfruitgirl333 is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Thanks for the tips! I am not a very creative writer in my class so that will help me! XD