Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > VMK Gaming Archived Forums > VMK Mini-Games

VMK Mini-Games Instructions, Rules, Strategy and Tactics for the Mini-Games. Mini-games include questions, dark rides, other site games for VMK items, Mix Music, HM, POTC, etc.

Old Photo Safari Jungle Cruise Game Instructions

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 05-28-2005, 08:17 AM
Kid Bugs
Awards Showcase
Halloween'11 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2011 Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award 
Total Awards: 19

-rcv- is covered with Confetti-rcv- is covered with Confetti-rcv- is covered with Confetti
Photo Safari Jungle Cruise Game Instructions

These are the instructions given IN GAME for the Jungle Cruise mini-game

Old 07-11-2005, 02:53 PM
Registered+

Hula Girl is spinning in a Cursed Storm
They have changed the jungle cruise!

Just wanted to let you know there are big changes at the Jungle Cruise. You now get 100 pictures and 100 units of gas to start. There are boulders that change position. It is much harder to navigate down the river,at least for me, lol The birds don't seem to be worth as many points. It appears to me that almost all the point values have been lowered.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:23 PM
single-serving friend

MrGenie has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundMrGenie has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundMrGenie has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundMrGenie has turned into a Bat and is flying around
As Hula Girl indicated, the Jungle Cruise is radically different as of this morning. I had gotten to enjoy the pace of the old Jungle Cruise, and I am not very pleased with the changes. To me, it seems like whovever made these changes didn't understand what made the original game fun; perhaps they only were aware of what made the original frustrating at times and tried to address those issues. At any rate, here is a comparison of the old and new jungle cruises:

SIMILARITIES:

There are still six rooms in the Jungle Cruise, and the game ends after you visit all six rooms three times.

The second time you enter the first room, you still get an extra 40 gas and 5 extra film.

Some of the animals appear in the same locations.

You still lose gas for running into things.

The gas conservation trick still works, as described by WDWTigger in the next post. In short, never hit up!

Update: The loading animation is still the same "Roll Up! Roll Up!" so you get to watch the boat move across half the screen while you are waiting for it to pick you up. However, this was such a popular aspect of the original game, that they have effectively made it twice as long now by removing all animals and pickups after you get in the boat on the first screen. But the best part is, you get to drive! Fun for hours. Or not. At least they removed the crate that you would always hit in the loading animation...nothing worse than hearing Ned chastise, "Now don't get carried away, you can hardly steer this thing!" when you're completely incapable of steering (and not even in the boat yet). Funny the first time, mildly funny the second time, starting to get annoying the third time...makes you want to rip your ears off after the 8th time...glad you ripped your ears off after the 23rd time...

Update: In the old Jungle Cruise, the longer you waited to take a picture, the more points it was worth (there have been various theories floating around on this, but trust me ). Originally I thought this was changed in the new version, but I did a pretty thorough comparison and it is still the same as it used to be. However, the scores that appear on the screen after you take a picture are wrong. They might be as much as half of the final value when you view them in the album. I double-checked this as well, and it is the album scores that count toward the final score, not what appears on screen. So, you can use the in-game scores to get a relative idea of which animals are worth more, but that's about it.

Update: The rewards are still the same: 20 credits for taking the tour, 50 points for a decent score (never knew what the threshold was for this), and 100 points for making the high scores list (plus you still get the Explorer's tent PDF link). Anything else? Oh yeah, I think they still give you a poster the first time you play. Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!

DIFFERENCES:

Revised instruction screens; if you didn't find the first instructions helpful, you probably won't find these helpful either.

As Hula Girl said, you start the game with 100 film and 100 gas (previously, this was 25 film and 140 gas).

Each film and gas pickup is now worth 20 extra (previously worth 5). I actually finished the game with more gas and film than I started. This effectively eliminates the film/gas conservation strategy of the game.

There is only one film and one gas pickup on each screen. They appear in different locations though, and they appear almost immediately after you enter the room (previously, one room had two gas pickups; they always appeared in the same location, but at different times).

There are NO animals in the first room (main dock) during any of the three passes. Why? Perhaps they want you to practice your driving (although given all of your extra gas, you might prefer to see if you can hit all the rocks). There is also no film/gas during the first pass through the first room, but you do get gas/film pickups on the second and third passes.

As Hula Girl said, the crates have been replaced by rocks that are in different locations each time you enter a different room. These formations get progressively harder as you get deeper into the game, although they are fairly easily avoidable except for the third time when you enter the first room. Inexplicably, there is a row of five rocks blocking the river, so they are completely unavoidable. Fortunately (well unfortunately really), you have more gas than you need, so it's not a problem to hit these or any other rocks really unless you're trying to be a pinball.

Although some of the animals appear in the old locations, there are many new locations and even some new animal views (if you've ever wanted to photograph an elephant's backside, now's your big chance). This is one of the few changes I actually liked, although this is somewhat negated by the increased rate at which the animals disappear. Look for the new tiny lion by the horizon.

The animal point values are all different, and smaller for the most part. As Hula Girl said, the birds are particularly lower in points. If you've developed a particular fondness for taking the perfect toucan picture and getting 900+ points, prepare to cry. I am not even going to attempt to sort these new point values out since the Jungle Cruise is kind of ruined for me (can you tell if I like the new changes yet?).

The animals disappear faster. Also, as you get further into the game, more animals appear simultaneously, and many more animals appear in general. At times it seems like all you can see on the screen are puffs of smoke. Since you have so much film though, there's no reason not to shoot everything that moves. Really, they should have given you a film machine gun, given the new pacing of the game. Before, where you had a few seconds to line up a good shot and there were only a few animals on the screen at any given time, now it's total chaos and you'll just be clicking randomly by the time you get to the third pass. Whee.

That's all I can think of for now. If you liked the old Jungle Cruise, then I doubt you'll like the new one very much. If you hated the old Jungle Cruise, then who knows...maybe this is more your style. Have fun! (?)

Last edited by MrGenie; 12-01-2005 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: added some more snarky comments :)
Old 07-12-2005, 01:15 AM
Walt Disney World
Awards Showcase
VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day 
Total Awards: 1

WDWTigger72 is as Frosty as a Snowman
Contact Us: Message Sent To VMK Staff

The Jungle Cruise game changes have definitely helped some individuals play game a little better, but these changes were definitely not necessary. The secret that was to be posted was regarding the up arrow key. Using the up arrow key made your jungle cruise boat speed up, but many individuals felt this had no impact on the game. The up arrow key have a major influence on the jungle cruise game, and caused you to lose roughly 20-22 gas every scene, compared to 10-12 gas loss using only left/right/down arrow keys. This was the big secret to this game, and your top score above 25,000 would have easily surpassed 50,000 (I Guarantee It). Unfortunately, This secret really does not have much impact on this game anymore because you receive so much more gas. Anyways, The following email message was sent to vmk staff using the contact us page:

"VMK Staff: The Jungle Cruise game has never been my area of expertise, but recently a fellow vmk'er created a tournament that peaked my interest. During this tournament, I learned to appreciate and enjoy The Jungle Cruise game while learning different game secrets and techniques. The Jungle Cruise game has never been an easy game to learn for many vmk'ers. The Fireworks game initially had flickering fireworks before disappearing, but later was modified to white stars before disappearing. This assisted many vmk'ers bursting fireworks at their peak, and also helped elevate their scores. This was a great enhancement to the Fireworks game. Unfortunately, I do not have the same feedback regarding The Jungle Cruise game. When taking pictures of centering the camera around animal for maximum points has become much more difficult and most pictures only provide a "Good" rating. The first scene every round provides no more animals for picture taking and really should either incorporate animals or be removed from game. The third round becomes much more difficult with animals appearing and disappearing at a rapid rate. The third round "Jungle Cruise Dock" starts out with rocks spreading across the river and cannot be avoided. These changes have definitely made The Jungle Cruise game more difficult for vmk'ers, and may have some adverse affects with not too many people playing anymore. This email message makes emphasis on many modifications many vmk'ers and myself found annoying, but I wanted to also comment on some good changes. Providing more photographs allows people to snap many more pictures without worrying about running out of film. The gas containers now providing 20 gas counts allows for an extended game. These are pretty much the only positive changes I can communicate today. Hopefully, After playing this game you will see how some changes do not benefit or enhance this game, but instead adversely or negatively affect game play. Please consider modifying some aspects of this game so it will be more enjoyable for vmk'ers. Thanks for your time reading this email message..."

I could not let this slide by, as many people never knew that secret regarding the up arrow key and would have scored much higher originally. These changes will never allow any vmk'er to score close to 60,000 anymore...
Old 07-12-2005, 02:43 PM
Biggest Pixar Fan

TheIncredible is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I just played Jungle Cruise today a few times and I noticed even more changes.

Part of the reason why the Jungle Cruise was changed was because there was a secret. I must have spent several hours trying to figure it out. Just yesterday, I had a good conversation with MrGenie is Toadie's "Away from key board" room about this, and MrGenie agrees.

The game is changed from yesterday: you start with 140 gas points and 25 pictures of film.

I tested this out today, no matter if you go slow or fast, left or right, gas is consumed a the exact same rate.

Also, the lion is the new Jungle Cruise winner in terms of points.

It takes a lot longer to get the same amount of points in the newer version compared to the better, older version, which makes it more difficult for me to log on early morning to get lots of high scores!

This has already been mentioned, but animals pop up too fast, so it's impossible to get a "perfect!" score.

Those are just a few of the changes that I like or not like.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:30 PM
Queen of the JungleCruise

LeanaSpin is floating through Inner Space
Phew! Still not the game we know and love, but some major improvements made today. They seems to be watching our input and gameplay I think

Today 7-12

The third level is not rapid fire anymore, thank goodness!

The third level dock does not have the line of rocks you can't avoid. It is now just 2 rocks.

Film levels are a little better, you actually have to try to pick up film, my level never went under 30, so it's a good balance.

You're getting there VMK, keep tweaking it
Old 07-12-2005, 07:11 PM
Queen of the JungleCruise

LeanaSpin is floating through Inner Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGenie
Wow, this is the most encouraging thing I've read all day (well, not counting the confirmation that the MrGenie magic pin isn't broken yet ). It really would appear that they are taking our input seriously, and quickly too. Thanks to those of you who contacted VMK about this. For my part, I did send an in-game message to Yavn and ask him to check out my "long post on the fan site," though I have no confirmation that he actually did so. I am still curious if a 10 film/gas pickup would be a better balance...still surprised they jumped from 5/5 to 20/20 in one fell swoop.

Hey Spin, can you confirm or deny the earlier report that the gas trick has been eliminated? I'm willing to bet it's still there.

Oh sure MrG! Quote me before I went back and fixed my typos, thanks.. LOL

I got kicked off, but will go and check on the gas trick just as soon as I can get back in It seemed to be working for me, but I never did get to try and hit my arrow key, I was trying to get on the cruise as I got kicked.

And yes, I think 10/10 would be a better ratio.. I was nowhere near running out. At the end of both games I played, I had over 40 film and 60 gas left.

UPDATE:

MrG, your magic still works, didn't know that was in question, but I tried it and it worked.. BRB after cruise..

UPDATE #2 Gas saving trick DOES still work.. maybe some just don't understand it..
Old 07-19-2005, 07:22 PM
R.I.P. Strajo

Greenway is as Frosty as a Snowman
I just went thru my album at the end of my last game of Jungle Cruise, and here are the ranges of point for each creature:

Animal High Low
Crane 262 201
Crocodile 268 140
Elephant 328 125
Flamingo 277 160
Giraffe 266 148
Gorilla 210 146
Hippo 427 362
Lion 400 276
Monkey, Drinking 127 81
Monkey, In trees 308 208
Parrot 90 57
Rhino 397 312
Snake, Coiled 136 96
Snake, Slithering 306 171
Toucan 87 56
Wild Dog 384 218
Zebra 170 129

Hippos are the big prize as far as I can see.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Registered+

MMSunshine is spinning in a Cursed Storm
High Scores Re-Set

It appears they finally re-set the high scores today. I am proud to say that I am currently ranked #3 with a high score of 55,421 (I've gotten higher scores in the last couple days, so it is possible to get higher, I just happened to luck out doing early morning with the re-set scores).

I did get the 100 credits for getting on the high score list, as well as the link to print out the pdf to get the explorer's tent (which you do have to take to either DL or WDW to redeem - so frustrating as I just got back from a trip to DL and probably won't go for another year).

While I'm happy to get on the high scores, I do agree that the new changes in the game make it a little more frustrating, if for just one reason that it now takes SO long to play (and it always seemed to be the longest game in the first place).

My tips:
1. I sit on the left side of the screen by using the down button so I can focus on taking pictures without worrying about steering around rocks (you have enough gas to do this) and only start moving through once the animals are done popping up or if I see a pretty clear way through.
2. I take pictures of anything that moves. No need to save film or worry about what animals have the higher point values as you have enough film to take a picture of everything. I even skipped a couple film roll pick-ups.
3. I waited as long as possible to take the photo, although as noted in some previous posts, the animals do seem to appear/disappear much quicker, and I found most of my photos seemed to fall in the good range (in the old version it was much easier to get photos above the good range I think).

Other than the fact that the game seems to take quite a bit longer (probably due in part to me sitting on the left side for so long), to me it seems much easier because you aren't having to worry about running out of gas or film, and I found it relatively easy to steer around the rocks. As it finally broke me into the high scores list (I had only made it once before with the old version), I can't complain too much, but do wish they would adjust again to make it a bit more challenging.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:00 PM
Registered+

MMSunshine is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Jungle Cruise Tip

I noticed the past couple days something on Jungle Cruise that might help people increase their scores quite a bit. On some screens there is a large pause between animals popping up.

For example, you may be on the Forbidden Temple screen snapping away at animals, and then there is a large number of seconds pause before animals start popping up again. I think many people assume that the animals are done on the that screen and drive on to the next, but if you allow yourself to wait a few seconds, you may get lucky and get another large grouping of animals to photograph.

It doesn't appear to happen on every screen (or I'm just not waiting long enough on some) or on the same screens for each of the three times you go through.

I would say I increased my score by almost 10,000 by figuring out which screens to wait on.

I hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:02 PM
R.I.P.

Alexander is as Frosty as a Snowman
Sometimes you can get what I call "combo shots" This means that there are some animals that will stay longer than the five or ten seconds they normally do. They normally disappear after another animal comes up behind or in front of them.

For example, the one I always hit is when I go through the Explorer Tent area the first time through. There is a Tucan that will stay longer than normal on a barrel near the tent. Behind it will appear a Hippo. If you wait long enough and aim between the two animals so they are in frame, you'll get a slightly higher score than if you were to photograph them individually. I think close to 500 points.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:27 PM
single-serving friend

MrGenie has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundMrGenie has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundMrGenie has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundMrGenie has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
Sometimes you can get what I call "combo shots" This means that there are some animals that will stay longer than the five or ten seconds they normally do. They normally disappear after another animal comes up behind or in front of them.

For example, the one I always hit is when I go through the Explorer Tent area the first time through. There is a Tucan that will stay longer than normal on a barrel near the tent. Behind it will appear a Hippo. If you wait long enough and aim between the two animals so they are in frame, you'll get a slightly higher score than if you were to photograph them individually. I think close to 500 points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menerva
I got this shot, thanks for the advice. I really hated it though when the score it gave me in the game was higher than the score I ended up with in my book.
Combo shots would be fun, but I've never tested this or heard that it works before. I do know that the score you see on the screen is NOT the score you get in the album or the score that counts toward your total. If anyone tests this a little more carefully, please post the results. Here's is how I would set up a simple test:

1) Shoot the hippo and toucan separately on the first cruise and check the points in the album for both photos (note: shoot photos right before animals disappear for maximum points).

2) Shoot the hippo/toucan together on a second cruise and check the points in the album for the combined photo.

I am willing to bet three Ned pins that the total from the two separate photos will be higher than the combined photo.

Last edited by MrGenie; 08-09-2005 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: changed rhino to hippo.... d'oh
Old 12-01-2005, 07:37 PM
Registered+

PirateDaisy is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGenie

The gas conservation trick still works. Look for WDWTigger72 to post something on this later this week, although sadly I don't really think it's as important anymore. EDIT: this secret has now been revealed; please see posts #23 and #24 in this thread (thanks WDWTigger72!).

I don't see posts 23 or 24. I sure would've like to have know what the gas conservation secret is. If anyone knows please fill this clueless pirate in. Many thanks!
Old 12-01-2005, 07:53 PM
single-serving friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateDaisy
I don't see posts 23 or 24. I sure would've like to have know what the gas conservation secret is. If anyone knows please fill this clueless pirate in. Many thanks!
Sorry; some off-topic posts were removed from this thread, and my reference to posts 23 and 24 are no longer valid. Instead, please see this post for WDWTigger's description of the gas conservation trick (currently post #4 in this thread). I'll update my post and fix the reference.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:45 AM
Secrets of the VMK member
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

My Mood: Stitch-ish
Gingerkitty is spinning in a Cursed Storm
im not sure if this is off topic, but a good way to skip a room is to get to the elephant bathing pool and go up the waterfall. its funny and is an easter egg.

edit: it may or may not let you do this

Last edited by Gingerkitty; 12-11-2005 at 04:13 PM..