Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > Project: SAVE VMK!

Project: SAVE VMK! General Discussion about VMK closing!

Old Wikipedia?

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:20 PM
Banned

Here Since Day 1
My Mood: Dreaming
supernov is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Wikipedia?

Has anyone checked out the VMK Wikipedia page lately?
In the closure section it says and I quote:
Quote:
On June 15, 2011, several reports from Disney indicated that a company bought the rights to VMK and plan for the revival and expansion of the game next year.
Haven't seen anyone post about this. What do y'all know? Truth or fiction?

Last edited by Jezzi; 06-22-2011 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: advertising
Old 06-22-2011, 10:31 PM
disco pogo
Awards Showcase
Make A Wish Award Halloween'10 Award 2010 Holiday Award Epitaph Participant's Award Caption Contest Winner's Award Graphics Trio Award VMK Memories Award 2010 Happy St. Patrick's Day 2010 
Total Awards: 26

Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Surrender
BuzzBoy133 is covered with ConfettiBuzzBoy133 is covered with ConfettiBuzzBoy133 is covered with Confetti
Personally, I'm not going to get my hopes up, but I am interested to see where this goes.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:19 AM
Deal with it!
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Graphics Trio Award 
Total Awards: 23

Born In Park
My Mood: Evil
EtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with Confetti
How could another company buy the rights to a game about the Disney parks? I don't understand how anyone can do this, unless they are changing the main central theme. It could still be done, I guess, but with a different theme park or a fictional theme park. I am not going to rule this out or even say it's true, but it does seem interesting.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:19 AM
Farewell VMK&All Who Play
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Patriot 2010 Award Guess the Picture Participation Award 
Total Awards: 17

VIP
My Mood: Supercal
Adventurebry has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundAdventurebry has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundAdventurebry has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundAdventurebry has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Although the chances of this being true are ridiculously low, as anybody can add to Wikipedia, I love when we get a little glimmer of hope. In fact, I'll call this one, I'm feelin' something..

EDIT: EtnaGreen, when I first saw this, in my mind I assumed it was sold to a large(ish) company with enough money to actually buy the rights to VMK as is, even if they can not add any new Disney related items (if they could.. the legalities of that would be.. interesting..). This proposed company would be smart, and know how many followers VMK has. They probably paid Disney a large sum of money for these rights (Disney wouldn't let them go too easily, but then again, they aren't using VMK, so might as well get some money), in hopes of making even more money because they know there would be tons of people willing to pay monthly for the game. A fictional deal such as this would probably include protections so the game is watched in a way that won't give the Disney company a bad name. In fact, VMK's return would probably bring more business to Disney (I know some people who still hold a grudge against the Disney company..)

Sorry if that fictional idea that came up in my head doesn't make sense. I'm just always hopeful for things like these. Time will tell.

Sig made by Sushi--Adventurebry/AlphaPanchito RIP 2005-2008
Old 06-23-2011, 01:21 AM
Trivia Addict
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Make A Wish Award Trivia Winner Epitaph Participant's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 
Total Awards: 16

VIP
My Mood: Creative
bluedudeman has turned into a sparkling Pirate!bluedudeman has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
I want to see the reports from disney

Edit: three posts in two minutes? wow
Old 06-23-2011, 01:42 AM
Deal with it!
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Graphics Trio Award 
Total Awards: 23

Born In Park
My Mood: Evil
EtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with Confetti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurebry View Post
Although the chances of this being true are ridiculously low, as anybody can add to Wikipedia, I love when we get a little glimmer of hope. In fact, I'll call this one, I'm feelin' something..

EDIT: EtnaGreen, when I first saw this, in my mind I assumed it was sold to a large(ish) company with enough money to actually buy the rights to VMK as is, even if they can not add any new Disney related items (if they could.. the legalities of that would be.. interesting..). This proposed company would be smart, and know how many followers VMK has. They probably paid Disney a large sum of money for these rights (Disney wouldn't let them go too easily, but then again, they aren't using VMK, so might as well get some money), in hopes of making even more money because they know there would be tons of people willing to pay monthly for the game. A fictional deal such as this would probably include protections so the game is watched in a way that won't give the Disney company a bad name. In fact, VMK's return would probably bring more business to Disney (I know some people who still hold a grudge against the Disney company..)

Sorry if that fictional idea that came up in my head doesn't make sense. I'm just always hopeful for things like these. Time will tell.
I think I understand. If I misunderstood, I apologize.

Still, one of the most valuable characteristics that Disney has is their reputation. Their theme parks are portrayed as the happiest places on earth and gain a great deal of revenue from the parks. I don’t really see Disney letting anyone else “advertise” their parks without looking over all of the plans.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:41 AM
Unicorn Waffle Elderly
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Carol Parody Participant's Award Patriot 2009 Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Participants Award 
Total Awards: 14

My Mood: Cheesy
lucky33325 is floating through Inner Space
Its seems to have been taken down from the wikipedia website. Probably was a troll, trying to get peoples hopes up.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:29 AM
Farewell VMK&All Who Play
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Patriot 2010 Award Guess the Picture Participation Award 
Total Awards: 17

VIP
My Mood: Supercal
Adventurebry has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundAdventurebry has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundAdventurebry has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundAdventurebry has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky33325 View Post
Its seems to have been taken down from the wikipedia website. Probably was a troll, trying to get peoples hopes up.
Hmm... I still see it.

Sig made by Sushi--Adventurebry/AlphaPanchito RIP 2005-2008
Old 06-23-2011, 07:33 PM
Too lazy to post
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award Crossword Puzzle Participant's Award Happy St. Patrick's Day 2010 Your Favorite Attraction Award Happy Valentine's Day 
Total Awards: 24

My Mood: Busy
Pisces has turned into a sparkling Pirate!Pisces has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
Yeah, it's still there, but I tend to not believe things like this on wikipedia when they aren't referenced...
Even if it is true, though, I might not get back into VMK, it's been too long, I wouldn't have the friends who made it so great, it does seem like a lot of the Disney elements would have to be removed, and I've moved on. But still, it'd be pretty great to get the chance to play again

Okay, it appears that when you are "Redirected from VMK," you can see the thing about June 15th, but when you aren't redirected, you can't see it...

EDIT: Oh, and as a sidenote, apparently the person at the IP address that made this edit (I have nothing better to do than to look into this person's credentials) has made a good number of other changes that needed undoing
Old 06-24-2011, 05:29 PM
Unicorn Waffle Elderly
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Carol Parody Participant's Award Patriot 2009 Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Participants Award 
Total Awards: 14

My Mood: Cheesy
lucky33325 is floating through Inner Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurebry View Post
Hmm... I still see it.
All I see is:
On April 7, 2008, Disney announced that VMK would close on May 21, 2008, at 1:00 AM EST. Immediately after the press release, changes were made to prevent the creation of any new accounts.
Online petitions were created to attempt to change Disney's decision, and some players attempted to arrange a protest outside of the entrance to Disneyland, although fewer than 20 showed up. On Thanksgiving weekend of 2008, suspicion arose when emails from VMK's server were sent out saying they were testing the player's account. These emails were proved to be false.[1] Ultimately, these actions had no effect, and VMK was shut down as scheduled. The VMK website was updated with information to quell repeated rumors that the game would be resurrected, (and at one point, provided promotional [free] subscriptions for other Disney Online games,) but was taken down entirely in November 2008; the VMK URL currently directs users to the "Games" section of Disney.com instead of the VMK homepage. Though Disney has shut its doors to the Virtual Magic Kingdom, some VMK players have made attempts to re-create elements of the virtual world on independent websites.