Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > Project: SAVE VMK! > Project: SAVE VMK! Archive

Project: SAVE VMK! Archive Archive forum for Project: SAVE VMK!

Old You know what bothers me the most?

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Masked Cowboy
Awards Showcase
St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Epitaph Winner's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 
Total Awards: 49

VIP
My Mood: Happy
SoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing Inferno
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasykid View Post
>.> VMK was a promotion
promotions don't last forever. It was a promotion for the Year of a Million dreams celebration (Or someting else). That celebration lasted several years, and so did VMK.
That celebration was the Happiest Celebration on Earth, and it lasted 1.5 years. VMK did not end when that promotion ended; it continued! If it was just a promotion, why did VMK close on May 21, 2008 instead of at the end of the Happiest Celebration on Earth, which was September 30, 2006?

If your answer is: "because VMK did better than what they expected," then why did they close it??

Play trivia at #vmktrivia to win a purple scrolly!
Old 12-08-2008, 11:53 PM
You've got a friend in me
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Winners Award Caption Contest Participant Happy Valentine's Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 8

My Mood: LiveChat
fantasyforever is as Frosty as a Snowman
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerRyan View Post
That celebration was the Happiest Celebration on Earth, and it lasted 1.5 years. VMK did not end when that promotion ended; it continued! If it was just a promotion, why did VMK close on May 21, 2008 instead of at the end of the Happiest Celebration on Earth, which was September 30, 2006?

If your answer is: "because VMK did better than what they expected," then why did they close it??
VMK was STILL a promotion howerver, a very GOOD promotion, but still a promotion
Old 12-09-2008, 12:44 AM
Heyyy?
Awards Showcase
Caption Contest Participant Happy Valentine's Graphics Trio Participant Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 4

My Mood: VMKForumsAddict
MyBirdHat is as Frosty as a Snowman
1. If i hear someone say "Di$ney" one more time, i WILL scream because does anyone here work for Disney? Like their economical stuff? Not many people, if any. I wish people would stop acting like they knew that Disney is in it for the money, because nobody here actually knows that. We are facing economy problems since like last year, and we might be heading towards another depression so of course Disney needs money. We all do. But its not like they're taking games away that probably didn't help their economy much to put in new pay to play games like club penguin and potco, which actually do help them to put more awesome stuff in the parks for us to enjoy. Major companies need money to buy rides and things that I don't know of and just for backup money for the company itself. I've changed my mind about the vmk situation a little bit, and i think that Disney closed it it for the best because running a huge game that wasn't even supposed to last very long costs MONEY. Running this forum costs MONEY. And right now, we all need every penny we can get.

2. Like tv shows, VMK had a contract, right? Disney and Sulake? For example, take the Suite Life of Zack and Cody. That show had a three year contract, and it expired. Thus, the Suite Life on Deck was born. Disney can not make anymore Zack and Cody episodes because their contract ran out. VMK most likely had a contract, and may I add that it was only supposed to be a promotion for Disney's, what, 50th anniversary or something like that? They never expected the game to take off like it did, and sure the selling of cards in parks helped a little but not as much as somebody paying $5.99 a month for a Club Penguin membership does. Maybe they bought Club Penguin during a crisis because they can buy low sell high? Which does NOT make them Di$ney, it makes them smart. Like for example: They buy cp for one million dollars, and one month of full membership costs about 6 dollars. Now if one million people get a 6 dollar membership for a month, then that's.. 6 million dollars already. In one month.

3. I know i've been talking about Disney alot in this post, but Disney did not even own vmk. Sulake did. I believe that (and this is my own opinion and guess) Disney and Sulake had a contract going on, and Disney can't get another contract with Sulake because of the crisis going on. I think that if Disney tried to reopen vmk (which they can't, by the way) then they would be sued. BUT like the Suite Life on Deck was created by the Suite Life of Zack and Cody's contract expiration, once we're out of this economic crisis, Disney or Sulake or even both combined could create a VMK2 in some way shape or form.

Just my two cents. And everything in there was my opinion, and I know that I sorta changed my mind and crossed over to Disney's side,(but i'm actually in the middle, because of course i miss vmk) so don't go calling me a hypocrite. Thanks

~Birdy
haaaapppyy new yearr:]
Old 12-09-2008, 01:06 AM
Masked Cowboy
Awards Showcase
St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Epitaph Winner's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 

VIP
SoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing Inferno
Quote:
VMK was STILL a promotion howerver, a very GOOD promotion, but still a promotion
Yes, it was a promotion for the Happiest Celebration on Earth. That celebration ended in September 2006, but the game did not. Yes, VMK was a promotion, from May 2005 - September 2006. After that, it no longer served its initial promotional purposes, but remained until May 2008. Disney's statement that VMK closed because "it was just a promotion" is illogical because it was not promoting its purpose (the 50th celebration) for the majority of its existence. Though VMK was an obvious promotion of the Parks, this was never stated in newsletters.

Disney claimed, "VMK exceeded expectations in terms of performance, and as a result we extended the promotion," and then said, "all promotions must come to an end." OK, I understand that nothing lasts forever, but why did this one have to end now? You just said it exceeded expectations, Di$ney.

I don't buy the "just a promotion" story, and when I notice that an answer is left out like in the above paragraph, I can only narrow down the real reason to one of two things:

1. Disney lied about VMK exceeding expectations, or
2. VMK was doing well, but Disney wanted to continue to lean towards the model of quantity over quality by exchanging VMK for a couple of new pay-to-plays that cover specific target audiences.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:42 AM
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Winners Award Caption Contest Participant Happy Valentine's Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerRyan View Post
You just said it exceeded expectations, Di$ney.

I don't buy the "just a promotion" story, and when I notice that an answer is left out like in the above paragraph, I can only narrow down the real reason to one of two things:

1. Disney lied about VMK exceeding expectations, or
2. VMK was doing well, but Disney wanted to continue to lean towards the model of quantity over quality by exchanging VMK for a couple of new pay-to-plays that cover specific target audiences.
Yes, It exeeded exepectations. Actually I am not very happy with the term 'Di$ney.' It has absolutly nothing to do with money. They extended it, yes. That doesn't mean it would stay open forever. It was just a promotion the exceeded expectations and got extended. Thats all it was
Old 12-09-2008, 01:47 AM
Masked Cowboy
Awards Showcase

VIP
Quote:
Yes, It exeeded exepectations. Actually I am not very happy with the term 'Di$ney.' It has absolutly nothing to do with money. They extended it, yes. That doesn't mean it would stay open forever. It was just a promotion the exceeded expectations and got extended. Thats all it was
Ok, if VMK exceeded expectations, why did Disney close it?

Old 12-09-2008, 04:58 AM
GHIII

My Mood: Doleful
ZortheraCrathTheAliens is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Why have one, great, free game, when you can have several half-baked money-makers?
Old 12-09-2008, 05:29 AM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

luckyone is spinning in a Cursed Storm
ill alwatys think vmk closed bc of sulakes fault i odnt think they just closed bc of the "promotion thing"
Quote:
1. If i hear someone say "Di$ney" one more time, i WILL scream because does anyone here work for Disney? Like their economical stuff? Not many people, if any. I wish people would stop acting like they knew that Disney is in it for the money, because nobody here actually knows that. We are facing economy problems since like last year, and we might be heading towards another depression so of course Disney needs money. We all do. But its not like they're taking games away that probably didn't help their economy much to put in new pay to play games like club penguin and potco, which actually do help them to put more awesome stuff in the parks for us to enjoy. Major companies need money to buy rides and things that I don't know of and just for backup money for the company itself. I've changed my mind about the vmk situation a little bit, and i think that Disney closed it it for the best because running a huge game that wasn't even supposed to last very long costs MONEY. Running this forum costs MONEY. And right now, we all need every penny we can get.

2. Like tv shows, VMK had a contract, right? Disney and Sulake? For example, take the Suite Life of Zack and Cody. That show had a three year contract, and it expired. Thus, the Suite Life on Deck was born. Disney can not make anymore Zack and Cody episodes because their contract ran out. VMK most likely had a contract, and may I add that it was only supposed to be a promotion for Disney's, what, 50th anniversary or something like that? They never expected the game to take off like it did, and sure the selling of cards in parks helped a little but not as much as somebody paying $5.99 a month for a Club Penguin membership does. Maybe they bought Club Penguin during a crisis because they can buy low sell high? Which does NOT make them Di$ney, it makes them smart. Like for example: They buy cp for one million dollars, and one month of full membership costs about 6 dollars. Now if one million people get a 6 dollar membership for a month, then that's.. 6 million dollars already. In one month.

3. I know i've been talking about Disney alot in this post, but Disney did not even own vmk. Sulake did. I believe that (and this is my own opinion and guess) Disney and Sulake had a contract going on, and Disney can't get another contract with Sulake because of the crisis going on. I think that if Disney tried to reopen vmk (which they can't, by the way) then they would be sued. BUT like the Suite Life on Deck was created by the Suite Life of Zack and Cody's contract expiration, once we're out of this economic crisis, Disney or Sulake or even both combined could create a VMK2 in some way shape or form.

Just my two cents. And everything in there was my opinion, and I know that I sorta changed my mind and crossed over to Disney's side,(but i'm actually in the middle, because of course i miss vmk) so don't go calling me a hypocrite. Thanks
btw i AGREE with your comment you couldnt say it any better
Old 12-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Can I be a "Registered-"?
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 2

Zimonada is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
>.> VMK was a promotion
promotions don't last forever. It was a promotion for the Year of a Million dreams celebration (Or someting else). That celebration lasted several years, and so did VMK.
Stop trying to make it 'oh it's a cover up!!' 'Disney is sooo corrupt I hate them'
blah, blah, yadda yadda, blah bleh blah
VMK was a really good promotion
Things don't last forever guys.
I LOVE Disney and forever will
Its your loss if you think they are corrupt.
'Di$ney this Di$ney that'
Thats all i ever hear now >.>
Face the truth
It was a promotion, and promotions never ever last forever
nothing lasts forever
The truth may hurt
But its the truth

* fantasykid throws his two cents then walks away
I don't think they're corrupt; I just think it was a very poor decision on their part, both morally and financially. If the economical crisis is THAT bad, they probably shouldn't be running any of their games. If anything, they should be looking for new, cheap ways to increase their revenue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBirdHat View Post
I can bet you that every other game they have and their parks all cost more money to run individually than VMK did. VMK was an incredibly small game, only a few thousand people tops, whereas other games (like MapleStory or WoW, for example) have millions of people playing. But Disney has TV, parks, merchandise, video games, and tons of other ways to bring in revenue, yet you don't see the other large online games cutting back, do you? No; rather they continue to make the game better and better to maintain or increase the customers they have. Disney might not earn money from VMK directly, but indirectly, it's the same situation; it's just harder for them to keep track of it.

I'd also just like to point out that not EVERYONE can go to their parks. Not that it matters in this discussion, but I wanted to throw that out there.

- Zim

All credit goes to Ammie!
Old 12-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Deal with it!
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Graphics Trio Award 
Total Awards: 23

Born In Park
My Mood: Evil
EtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with Confetti
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBirdHat View Post
1. If i hear someone say "Di$ney" one more time, i WILL scream because does anyone here work for Disney?First off I have seen several members on here who do work for Disney and have described the conditions as horrilbe. Second, if I hear one more thing about the stupid recesion I will scream. I already hear it everywhere, I don't need to hear it here. Like their economical stuff? Not many people, if any. I wish people would stop acting like they knew that Disney is in it for the money, because nobody here actually knows that. We are facing economy problems since like last year, and we might be heading towards another depression so of course Disney needs money. Actually big companies such as Disney are not helping the recesion they are making it worse.So why should we give them more money?We all do. But its not like they're taking games away that probably didn't help their economy much to put in new pay to play games like club penguin and potco, which actually do help them to put more awesome stuff in the parks for us to enjoy. If no one can afford to go the parks, does it matter if they are putting new cool things in the parks? Major companies need money to buy rides and things that I don't know of and just for backup money for the company itself. I've changed my mind about the vmk situation a little bit, and i think that Disney closed it it for the best because running a huge game that wasn't even supposed to last very long costs MONEY. Running this forum costs MONEY. And right now, we all need every penny we can get.

2. Like tv shows, VMK had a contract, right? Disney and Sulake? For example, take the Suite Life of Zack and Cody. That show had a three year contract, and it expired. Thus, the Suite Life on Deck was born. Then explain why Hannah Montana was only supposed to last three seasons and it's lasting like five. Disney can not make anymore Zack and Cody episodes because their contract ran out. VMK most likely had a contract, and may I add that it was only supposed to be a promotion for Disney's, what, 50th anniversary or something like that? They never expected the game to take off like it did, and sure the selling of cards in parks helped a little but not as much as somebody paying $5.99 a month for a Club Penguin membership does. Maybe they bought Club Penguin during a crisis because they can buy low sell high? They bought club penguin for way too much, I can't remember the actual amount, but I believe it was several billion dollars. Which does NOT make them Di$ney, it makes them smart. Like for example: They buy cp for one million dollars, and one month of full membership costs about 6 dollars. Now if one million people get a 6 dollar membership for a month, then that's.. 6 million dollars already. In one month.

3. I know i've been talking about Disney alot in this post, but Disney did not even own vmk. Disney owned vmk, and many people have figured out and stated Saluke didn't control the closing, Disney did. Sulake did. I believe that (and this is my own opinion and guess) Disney and Sulake had a contract going on, and Disney can't get another contract with Sulake because of the crisis going on. I think that if Disney tried to reopen vmk (which they can't, by the way) then they would be sued. BUT like the Suite Life on Deck was created by the Suite Life of Zack and Cody's contract expiration, once we're out of this economic crisis, Disney or Sulake or even both combined could create a VMK2 in some way shape or form.

~Birdy
My respone is in green.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimonada View Post
I don't think they're corrupt; I just think it was a very poor decision on their part, both morally and financially. If the economical crisis is THAT bad, they probably shouldn't be running any of their games. If anything, they should be looking for new, cheap ways to increase their revenue.
1. I doubt really high it had to do with money. Disney make MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS of dollars just of their PARKS.

2. Have you ever played TT, CP, POTCO? They are really good games and are worth paying for.

3. * fantasykid snickers. Cheap ways? There are no cheap ways.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:44 AM
Deal with it!
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Graphics Trio Award 
Total Awards: 23

Born In Park
My Mood: Evil
EtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with Confetti
Quote:
1. I doubt really high it had to do with money. Disney make MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS of dollars just of their PARKS.

2. Have you ever played TT, CP, POTCO? They are really good games and are worth paying for.

3. * fantasykid snickers. Cheap ways? There are no cheap ways.
Heh, that's a good one. Disney's park attendance is 35% full right now. Disney is pretty much willing to let you pay any price just to get you their right now. Their are amazing deals to go, but I no one can waste money going on a vacation right now.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:55 PM
AKA Sandy
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World 

sandollargirl is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Man your making Disney sound like. Well... Ebenezzer Scrooge. Doing things for their own selfish needs. Now all we need is three spirits to go and haunt the Disney people and maybe they'll change miracously. ( HAHA)
Old 12-16-2008, 07:08 AM
I'm broadway crazy!
Awards Showcase
Graphics Trio Participant Award Joy To The World 

My Mood: Artistic
CaptBrittney is spinning in a Cursed Storm
As I have recently thought. If VMK wasn't making Disney money. They should've had some pay to have items on VMK. Like clothes, furniture, pins, rooms, etc. Because I heard that's what made them decide to close it down was because no $$$ was coming out of it. It totally stinks that it closed. I love VMK.

Last edited by TopazR; 12-16-2008 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: filter
Old 08-27-2009, 06:44 PM
VMK's New Arcade Man!!!
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: VMKForumsAddict
PowerfulSonicMint is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by toontoony View Post
Im 100% On Your Side, But maby, Disney will learn. Alot of people win at the end - But normaly takes about 3 - 10 years.
Yeah, It'll take 3-10 years for VMK to return. Disney will NEVER learn though, thanks to that Steve dude. Alot of people will win at the end, yes they will!!