Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Disney Fan Club > Disney Gossip > Disney Gossip Archive

Disney Gossip Archive Disney Gossip archive

Old POTC gets a makeover!!!!!

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:42 PM
Noise amongst the static
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Signature Donation Award 
Total Awards: 3

My Mood: SaveVMK
LordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blop
Copyright 2003. Walt Disney Pictures

BARBOSSA: Look! The moonlight shows us for what we really are. We are not among the living, and so we cannot die, but neither are we dead. For too long I’ve been parched with thirst and unable to quench it. Too long I’ve been starving to death and haven’t died. I feel nothing – not the wind on my face nor the spray of the sea, nor the warmth of a woman’s flesh. (The Captain walks out into the moonlight and reveals himself to be a skeleton) You best start believing in ghost stories, Miss Turner. You’re in one!

You get the premise, right? These pirates look normal as long as the sun's up, but turn into horrific skeleton figures as soon as the moon rises.
So they're actually going through with this? cool

Quote:
So picture this: During the day, Disneyland runs its standard version of "Pirates of the Caribbean." Which has been delighting theme park goers since March of 1967. But once the sun sets, this New Orleans Square attraction temporarily stops operations for 15 minutes to a half hour to reset. And then ...

Well, it's the same old ride right up until the moment that you enter the harbor for POTC's bombardment scene. But then ... You can't help but notice that the moon's out. And the crew of the "Wicked Wench" looks different somehow. Could it be that there are skeletons now manning the cannons on that pirate ship?

But this is just the first of many surprises for all you "Pirates" fans out there. For -- instead of following the standard route and just floating to the right -- your boat now follows a new path across the harbor. You veer to the left instead, going between the "Wicked Wench" and the Spanish fort. Once that's done, you then enter a darkened channel that takes you behind the pre-existing POTC sets. Where pools of moonlight occassionally reveal skeletal pirates who -- just as they've always done -- loot and then try & burn down the city.

Only this time ... These skeletal pirates actually notice us. That there's a boatload of tourists floating close nearby. So -- periodically -- they make attempts to board our vessel and/or deliberately try and sink us.
... well, I WAS against the pirates rennovation... but... not exactly the case right now
Old 03-30-2006, 10:54 PM
that's my VMK name!

Doodle is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Why can't they just throw Sparrow in the beginning of the ride, and keep everything else the same?! Like with Snow White's Scary Adventure! (For those who don't know, originally, the ride was laid out so you saw the story from snow white's eyes/point of view. But then parents complained that the ride was too scary and snow white was no where to be seen. So they stuck her in at the start of the ride and other little places to make eveyone happy )

And the renovation is happening at WDW, so why is Blop's article (where Illy quoted) referencing DLR? (sorry if it said, I read the whole thing pretty fast )

Whenever I've been to WDW, Pirates ALWAYS has a long line (unless you go on the left side of the queue, but it's not always open...). It's not like the ride is always empty and needs some enhancements to revive it (like maybe the Land Pavillion before Soarin') I say, why mess with success?

Middiebear, as far as I know-at least in WDW-the storyline was like, the ride starts in modern (or at least semi-recent) times, when all the pirates are long gone. Then the drop is like going back in time, when pirates were around and active.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:01 PM
Noise amongst the static
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Signature Donation Award 
Total Awards: 3

My Mood: SaveVMK
LordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodle
Why can't they just throw Sparrow in the beginning of the ride, and keep everything else the same?! Like with Snow White's Scary Adventure! (For those who don't know, originally, the ride was laid out so you saw the story from snow white's eyes/point of view. But then parents complained that the ride was too scary and snow white was no where to be seen. So they stuck her in at the start of the ride and other little places to make eveyone happy )

And the renovation is happening at WDW, so why is Blop's article (where Illy quoted) referencing DLR? (sorry if it said, I read the whole thing pretty fast )

Whenever I've been to WDW, Pirates ALWAYS has a long line (unless you go on the left side of the queue, but it's not always open...). It's not like the ride is always empty and needs some enhancements to revive it (like maybe the Land Pavillion before Soarin') I say, why mess with success?

Middiebear, as far as I know-at least in WDW-the storyline was like, the ride starts in modern (or at least semi-recent) times, when all the pirates are long gone. Then the drop is like going back in time, when pirates were around and active.
I read it pretty fast too, but If i read it right, WDW is getting Sparrow (I think they get Jack before DLR does...) and DLR is getting Sparrow AND the thing I quoted
Old 03-30-2006, 11:36 PM
Banned

Oranges has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundOranges has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundOranges has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Pirates of the Caribbean will re-open from refurbishment July 7th, 2006--and ironically (cough cough) that's oddly enough the same day that Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest hits theaters.

Disney had based the POTC movie off of Walt Disney World and Disneyland's ride, and they got a lot of rash from people saying, "the ride was totally irrelevant to the movie" and alas, Disney set to work on improving the ride to make it look like the movie inspired the ride, but in reality, the ride inspired the movie.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:36 PM
Disney Movie Quest Owner

DarkKnightCecil is spinning in a Cursed Storm
To make everything clear:

The AA on the ship in DLR is becoming Barbossa
Jack Sparrrow will apeear about 3 times in the ride

A night time version has NOT been confirmed yet. So don't say it has

Quote:
im not too excited about it... according to wikipedia the "storyline is going to completely change". it is ruining the last attraction that Walt Disney worked on. He had a vision, don't change it.

Walt did say that Disneyland would continue changing as long as imagination was left in this world. Its just imagination doing it's job
Old 03-31-2006, 12:14 AM
Do not get on regularly.

Qui-gon is as Frosty as a Snowman
So it is true, it was never confirmed.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:50 AM
Lurker

Exoxus is covered with ConfettiExoxus is covered with ConfettiExoxus is covered with Confetti
I was going to post it, once I finished the POTC level, but you beat me!

Anyhoo, Great news! It sounds great for the ride.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:03 AM
AllEarsOnDisney

manunderwater ’s Invisible pin is 5* - Spooky!
Yeah, the ride will hold Captain Barbossa and the Black Pearl
Old 04-02-2006, 06:22 AM
Disneyland is the Best!!!
Awards Showcase
VMK Memories Award 2010 Your Favorite Attraction Award Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 4

My Mood: Artistic
BanannaSplitzer is spinning in a Cursed Storm
yikes! i'm not to fond of the night time thing I mean disneyland the "happiest" place on earth is gonna alow the night thing.I mean i'm a chicken as is,I dont even dare step foot in the HM, so Pirates is gonna lose alot!and I mean ALOT of audience doin that night scene.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:25 AM
I'm Here To Help!

timmyastro is spinning in a Cursed Storm
im going to go on it!

Ive Moved on!

I play World of warcraft now:
Server1: Blackwing Lair
Side: Horde
User: Timpyroz

Server2: Suramar
Side: Alliance
Users: Timpyroz And Goldshire

I'd be glad to chat if you play!
Old 04-02-2006, 07:55 AM
VMK Pirate

Goldhunt is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I don't like it in a way and then again I do idk really I will have to ride the ride to make up my mind!
Old 04-02-2006, 12:06 PM
HandyManAndy On VMK

AGMartin2 is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I have known about this for almost a year now due to an WDI relative of mine.
Basically, the main change for most people is the fact that the ride will now have a noticable story line:Barbossa and his crew attack a Caribbean seaport in search of Cptn Jack Sparrow, convinced he knows the location of a fabulous treasure.
Ofcourse, as you can gather from the KHII booklet, audio animatronic figure/s of Barbossa and Cptn Jack Sparrow will be added to the ride! Also, an audio animatronic figure of Davy Jones from the second film will make an appearance in the ride.
Many new special effects will be added/updated to the ride including ghostly apparition in a curtain of mist.
I have also been given many hints by my uncle that the Black Pearl from the movie will replace the Wicked Wench in one of the beginning scenes.
The ride should have opened again the other day (although I am hearing this may have been pushed to April 8th if someone could confirm this please) with no noticible changes made, just a tidy up. However, if you look around the ride, the concrete structure for the fog effect should be present!
Hope this helps everyone seeking info on the updated ride!
Andy
Old 04-02-2006, 12:13 PM
°o° Disney Enthusiast
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 4

DizCaptain has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundDizCaptain has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundDizCaptain has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundDizCaptain has turned into a Bat and is flying around
You know this may sound bad but I am not very happy about this at all. This refurbishment will ruin the classic ride with the comedic lady chasing a pirate with a broom and the auctioneering scenes. I mean sure it may be cool but just think about the changes they will make. Also think about how the bdginning scene with dead men tell no tales will be changed.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:24 PM
HandyManAndy On VMK

AGMartin2 is spinning in a Cursed Storm
You know what, I thought the exact same thing when I heard this at first. However, I was convinced by my uncle that the ride will practically be the classic but with some added special effects! Think if Disney was still here, he stood for advances it technology and wanted his parks always updated adding to the great experiences they had before. He wouldn't want POTC looking like it did 50 yrs ago for ever would he?
And besides, I think this update will attract more people so they can experience the truly great classic like the rest of us (with a bit of Hollywood sprinkled on top)!
Old 04-02-2006, 01:26 PM
<--Thanks BelgianWaffle!
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

My Mood: Pwness
CaptainZeke is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by disnyfreek
im not too excited about it... according to wikipedia the "storyline is going to completely change". it is ruining the last attraction that Walt Disney worked on. He had a vision, don't change it.
I agree... This was Walter Disney's original ride... It's a shame they're going to change it... Shame on you Imagineers!