Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > VMK Gaming Archived Forums > Trading Post

Trading Post Arrange, Offer, Request Trading of Items, Pins and other things from Virtual Magic Kingdoms

Old SCAMS: Read this before you trade anything!

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 08-27-2005, 12:17 AM
Missing Everyone ♥ Toucan

Clan Leader Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Disney
Pebble has turned into a sparkling Pirate!Pebble has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
Red face

VMK has now fixed the "Accept with nothing" bug, now the person cannot take away the item because a message comes up saying "this person has not added any items and you would be giving a donation rather then a swap!" but you probably already know this.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:51 AM
Banned

pebbs ’s Invisible pin is 5* - Spooky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebble
VMK has now fixed the "Accept with nothing" bug, now the person cannot take away the item because a message comes up saying "this person has not added any items and you would be giving a donation rather then a swap!" but you probably already know this.
Yes we know,thanks for the refresh talk!
Old 09-04-2005, 03:07 PM
Miley-♥

Eviie is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Talking

EDIT: Great info. But dont think we will be needing it anymore now that they have a confirmed button =]

Last edited by Eviie; 06-25-2006 at 05:48 AM..
Old 09-06-2005, 09:27 PM
kilic on vmk

jab1235 is spinning in a Cursed Storm
let me just say most people know this but think the poeple who dont now know it because of this
Old 09-11-2005, 04:28 AM
Registered+

DisneyPrincess is spinning in a Cursed Storm
great tips!
Old 09-11-2005, 10:42 PM
..What if the boat tiped?

Snowangel is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Thanks for the tips! If only i knew these things earlier. I lost a blue carpet chair to the worstest scamer i know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus, now she/he pretends he/she does not know me.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:07 PM
Bitty-Bop On VMK

Brittany.B is spinning in a Cursed Storm
yes, very good. But today i wanted to share a little story:

one day i was minding my own business lokking through rooms when i got a trade thing, i accepted to see what they wanted, HE said that he had a magical yellow tea cup chair that looks like one but what ever u type such as chicken hat u will get one! i wanted to follow along so maybe i had more proof, he put in a yellow tea cup of coarce i am not new i have a 1st day badge. he was going to trick me into giving him all my pins for a lousy chair.. he was a scammer i reported him but he did not get baned they VMK staff needed more proof:o.. at least i tryed and his name was... XXXXXXXX.. im just trying to earn everyone that it could happen to u not just me or her or him it COULD happen to u,

A gal just trying to make VMK a nicer place to play,
-Bitty-Bop

Last edited by MrGenie; 09-15-2005 at 12:36 AM.. Reason: flaming
Old 09-15-2005, 12:33 AM
whatsup?

bohemiaLOVE is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGenie
As far as I know, the vast majority of VMK scams fall into one of the following two categories:

1) Trading for codes. These types of trades will always be problematic because they cannot be conducted simultaneously (unlike trades that happen in the game). Whoever gives something away first must trust the other person to deliver the other part of the bargain after the trade. Additionally, the code portion of the trade typically has to happen outside of VMK which further complicates matters and makes the trade more risky.

How to avoid this scam: do not participate in sequential trades (trades where one portion can't be completed in the VMK trade window) with anyone you don't completely trust. There are a lot of trustworthy people out there with the items you are looking for. Be patient, and eventually you'll find someone you feel good about trading with!

Possible signs that someone is probably scamming you: they have rare items but they are using a guest account or are brand new to the forum (check their profile); the offer seems too good to be true; they refuse to let you try out the code first before taking your in-game items.

2) Clicking "Accept" too early. Apparently, there is a bug allows someone to remove something from the trade window at the last second after you click "Accept", and the trade goes through before you have a chance to accept again. Other versions of this involve people tricking you into accepting the wrong trade by putting something valuable in the trade window, filling the trade window with less valuable things, and then deleting the valuable item while it is off the screen. A third version occurs when you add your items to the trade window and click "Accept"...once you do this, all the other person has to do is click "Accept" and the trade will be completed--even if they haven't added anything to the trade window.

How to avoid this scam: be extremely careful before you click the "Accept" button. Review all items in the trade. A good rule of thumb is that you should always try to be the last person to click the "Accept" button in a trade.

Possible signs that someone is probably scamming you: the offer seems too good to be true; they keep adding and deleting things from the trade window or doing shady things with the "Accept" button; they try to rush you through the trade and act impatient if you are taking your time to review things.

-----------------------------------------------------

If either of these scams occurs to you, you need to report it to VMK IMMEDIATELY using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the VMK Home Page. VMK also has a great page on scamming on their website. VMK takes scamming very seriously, and the only way to shut down people who scam is to report them to VMK. VMK may also help you get your stuff back if they can prove you got scammed from the chat/trade logs, or if you traded with someone who has been reported by others. On the other hand, reporting scammers to the forum is not allowed because we can't prove anything here and it is considered flaming. If you do believe you were scammed by a forum member, please send me a PM and I will look into it privately.

Remember that there will always be new people to the game and the forum who will unfortunately try to scam other people. Fortunately, there are only a few types of successful scams, so once you know how these operate, it's pretty easy to avoid falling victim to a scam.

One last piece of advice: I have seen several people complain that they traded something and then the other person refused to trade them back a few minutes later. However, refusing a trade-back is not a scam...once you complete a trade, it's final. If someone decides to trade back with you, that is their decision, but it is also completely voluntary. For this reason, do not trade if there is any chance you will want a trade-back in the future...you should also avoid letting someone "test out" your magic pin or whatever since there is no way to force them to give it back.

Happy trading!
i agree with Genie my friend be-live-strong lost all her stuff but has more stuff she bought and bought till she couldnt no more - Gingersnaps soon to be CL_Gingersnaps
Old 09-16-2005, 09:39 PM
<-- I'm Mickey's #1 fan

Mickeylover55 is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Angry

yes, very good. But today i wanted to share a little story:

one day i was minding my own business lokking through rooms when i got a trade thing, i accepted to see what they wanted, HE said that he had a magical yellow tea cup chair that looks like one but what ever u type such as chicken hat u will get one! i wanted to follow along so maybe i had more proof, he put in a yellow tea cup of coarce i am not new i have a 1st day badge. he was going to trick me into giving him all my pins for a lousy chair.. he was a scammer i reported him but he did not get baned they VMK staff needed more proof:o.. at least i tryed and his name was... XXXXXXXX.. im just trying to earn everyone that it could happen to u not just me or her or him it COULD happen to u,
A gal just trying to make VMK a nicer place to play,

Hey That guy came to me is it a yellow chair he wanted to teleportation i didnt accept because as i always i look at the stores AND IT WAS THERE! He said it was very rare and said the vmk staff gave it to him he also said he cant use it anymore because he said something bad! Hes a skam!!!!
__________________________________________________ ____________
wishlist
inferno
lion pin
gold furniture
magic carpet
space suit { REALLY WANT}
Old 09-16-2005, 09:44 PM
LAdyRaiders on VMK

LadyRaiders has disabled reputation
great guide Genie, very helpful, especially to newbies, lol
Old 09-17-2005, 02:47 AM
Registered+

ToyStoryFan is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Grrr! I think I've been scammed. I traded for a lot of things, and among them was a set of Stitch teleports. Well, one teleport leads to another room. They stuck it in a spot so I can't get out, I've been waiting for the owner to come in so they can fix the trade. There is lots of furniture in there and so I know they use it. The only problem is the person I traded with is NOT the owner of the room. I'll figure it out someday!

Just a warning, ask to test out the teleports when you get them!
Old 09-17-2005, 02:52 AM
Banned

Haydenfan is as Frosty as a Snowman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebble
yeah it rocks so much and thx mr.genie i got scammed twice in the past ugh such horror knowing u traded alot for nothing!
Old 09-20-2005, 09:19 PM
I come in peace...

Tandrew is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Talking

Thanks Genie

Last edited by GreatGatsby; 09-20-2005 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: off topic
Old 09-20-2005, 11:20 PM
Occassionally Nostalgic.

My Mood: VMK
Armygrl is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Hey Genie, VMK WILL NOT DO A DANG THING!!! I went to a Staff Member for help, IN THE GAME AND OUT!!! She would NOT do a thing about it. I admitt I was rude, I don't care!!! If VMK wants people to play a lot, and get friends to as well, they need to learn to respond to needs of the players. Otherwise, the population will decrease, and decrease, and decrease and then Walt Disney World and Disney Land Resort will be saying, "Oops, there goes a whole lotta money we spent on making VMK Central IN parks! Gosh, we should have listened to the players needs to be happy while playing!"
I know you are probably saying, "Well, people do not HAVE to play the game..." but maybe people are kids, or adults who HATE (Who would?!?!) sports and have nothing and nobody to come home to. The kids are getting bored with things that they already have, so they use VMK.
I may be sounding rude,but they are rude by not being SMART and being good game staff.They want players,they need to work out some of their problems of not helping but making things worse first.
Sorry for sounding like an idiot, but it's all true.

Sincerely,
Armygrl

Last edited by Armygrl; 09-21-2005 at 08:54 PM..
Old 09-21-2005, 12:07 PM
NO longer a member of fan

fonna ’s Invisible pin is 5* - Spooky!
I have to say I have been on the other end of this. I made a trade and then the person said they changed their mind, I did not trade back, but I felt kind of bad. However, it was a fair trade.
So, please people, be sure of what you want to trade before you do it!