Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Site Content > Site Feedback

Site Feedback Turn your amp up to 11 and let it wail!

Old Awards and more

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:46 AM
VMKF's WDW Expert-Nerd
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Carol Parody Winner's Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Patriot 2010 Award 
Total Awards: 30

VIP
My Mood: Stitch-ish
Stitchco has turned into a sparkling Pirate!Stitchco has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
Awards and more

I doubt I'm the only one to notice, but what is going on with the awards might I ask? Is VMKF no longer doing awards along with contests? I know this site is slightly inactive at times, though every now and then I log on and 30 people are on, but is that what stopped the awards as well? Every time I've tried getting awards I'm not on to request them due to some vacation it seems or something. Basically my main questions are these:

1). Did the awards stop for the moment, and if so, for what reasons, other than inactivity?

2). If the awards did stop, is there any possiblity of them returning later in the years ahead?

3). I know we all know what is going on with the contests, but it there any possiblity of a contest coming back every now and then or something in the future?

-Stitchco
to StitchMad and Neoteny; to Batleth and EtnaGreen.
-Stitchco
Old 02-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Trivia Addict
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Make A Wish Award Trivia Winner Epitaph Participant's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 
Total Awards: 16

VIP
My Mood: Creative
bluedudeman has turned into a sparkling Pirate!bluedudeman has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
I'm not a member of the staff obviously so I cannot really answer your questions, I can only speculate.

I think it's just because the staff don't need to direct really any of their attention here anymore.

I guess all the staff on here are staff on other sites? Because some of our staff hasn't been on VMKF in months, but they're still staff.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:40 PM
VMKF's WDW Expert-Nerd
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Carol Parody Winner's Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Patriot 2010 Award 

VIP
Stitchco has turned into a sparkling Pirate!Stitchco has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedudeman View Post
I'm not a member of the staff obviously so I cannot really answer your questions, I can only speculate.

I think it's just because the staff don't need to direct really any of their attention here anymore.

I guess all the staff on here are staff on other sites? Because some of our staff hasn't been on VMKF in months, but they're still staff.
But that is also one of my concerns. I know VMK closed. I know this site is also inactive more due to that. But I usually either see Brain or Jezzi on, and every now and then Batleth. I feel like this site still could have more going on if some staff returned to help out, ya know? I am in no way trying to upset anyone or be disrespectful, but I feel like even for an inactive forum, 3 Mods and Admins can't entirely run the whole thing by themselves to also have things like what I was referring, even though they are still doing a great job at it.

-Master Sorcerer Stitchco
-Stitchco
Old 02-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Trivia Addict
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Make A Wish Award Trivia Winner Epitaph Participant's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 

VIP
bluedudeman has turned into a sparkling Pirate!bluedudeman has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
I'm totally with you on this. I feel like the staff is just letting us go about our few posts, they'll correct us if we mess up but other than that it is kind of like they aren't here, and have been basically finished with the forums. I don't know, I feel like the staff should be more interested and involved if they are staff. Just my opinion I guess.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:26 PM
Hugs and Pixie Dust
Awards Showcase
Halloween'11 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2011 Summer Party Winner's Award Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 
Total Awards: 24

My Mood: Pixieish
Jezzi has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundJezzi has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundJezzi has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundJezzi has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchco View Post
I doubt I'm the only one to notice, but what is going on with the awards might I ask? Is VMKF no longer doing awards along with contests? I know this site is slightly inactive at times, though every now and then I log on and 30 people are on, but is that what stopped the awards as well? Every time I've tried getting awards I'm not on to request them due to some vacation it seems or something. Basically my main questions are these:

1). Did the awards stop for the moment, and if so, for what reasons, other than inactivity?

2). If the awards did stop, is there any possiblity of them returning later in the years ahead?

3). I know we all know what is going on with the contests, but it there any possiblity of a contest coming back every now and then or something in the future?

-Stitchco
I have had a look at how many of the awards have been requested, as you can see there just isn't the demand for it. Quite a few were requested during the Holidays when you could request all of them at once. Making the awards can be very time-consuming especially since Sven also makes the awards/banners for all the sister sites too. Based on these numbers it is highly doubtful they will return.

Halloween 2011 - 13
Talk like a pirate 2011 - 9 (2 were from the pixie site)
Patriot 2011 - 17
I Survived EKB's Trickery 2011 - 13
St Paddy's Day 2011 - 13
St Valentines Day 2011 - 37

We had an across-all-sites contest in August, only one person on VMKF was given the participation award.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchco View Post
But that is also one of my concerns. I know VMK closed. I know this site is also inactive more due to that. But I usually either see Brain or Jezzi on, and every now and then Batleth. I feel like this site still could have more going on if some staff returned to help out, ya know? I am in no way trying to upset anyone or be disrespectful, but I feel like even for an inactive forum, 3 Mods and Admins can't entirely run the whole thing by themselves to also have things like what I was referring, even though they are still doing a great job at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedudeman View Post
I'm totally with you on this. I feel like the staff is just letting us go about our few posts, they'll correct us if we mess up but other than that it is kind of like they aren't here, and have been basically finished with the forums. I don't know, I feel like the staff should be more interested and involved if they are staff. Just my opinion I guess.
I understand what you are saying but it is not our job to keep you all entertained. It is our job to make sure our Policies are adhered to. Don't forget we are not paid for doing this and we give up our free time (sometimes not so free as we all have families/work/school/whatever). Some days there are no new posts to read (yes, I read every single post) but I still log in every day. Someone has already brought up the subject of bringing more Mods in to liven this place up, you will find Zilly's answer here. Ultimately it is you, the members, who will have to do that and despite new members joining every week the majority do not post

Old 02-23-2012, 03:11 AM
I iz lazy.
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Award Spooky Scribe Award Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 7

My Mood: Insomnious
Blossomflower is Buried in TreasureBlossomflower is Buried in TreasureBlossomflower is Buried in Treasure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzi;2189661
I understand what you are saying but it is not our job to keep you all entertained. It is our job to make sure our [URL="http://www.disneyonlineworlds.com/index.php/Policies_and_Disclaimers"
Policies[/URL] are adhered to. Don't forget we are not paid for doing this and we give up our free time (sometimes not so free as we all have families/work/school/whatever). Some days there are no new posts to read (yes, I read every single post) but I still log in every day. Someone has already brought up the subject of bringing more Mods in to liven this place up, you will find Zilly's answer here. Ultimately it is you, the members, who will have to do that and despite new members joining every week the majority do not post
This is really depressing to me... I wish people would come back!

Old 02-23-2012, 03:53 AM
Trivia Addict
Awards Showcase

VIP
I didn't ask for the staff to provide entertainment, I can't speak for stitchco.

I'm just saying, personally I think if you're a member of the staff you should be interested and involved enough to make a difference or addition other than editing posts and banning people. Add to conversations (I know jezzi rarely does, I don't think I've ever seen another staff member join in a normal conversation), start new topics, be as much a part of the community you protect as the regular members themselves. I also don't know why some are still on the staff list but haven't been on VMKF in months.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:55 AM
VMKF's WDW Expert-Nerd
Awards Showcase

VIP
One of the things I found troubling about that however was that I logged on every day prior to and after the award was being offered, for instance the christmas gift request. It was only offered on Christmas but I was away on vacation. Halloween weekend, the award was offered but again I was away at the Halloween Party at Disney. It use to be offered more than a few days but now it doesn't seem like it is.

The across all sites one was harder because of work for me not to mention I do not have any accounts on those sites other than Toontown which at the time I couldn't remember my password for, and could not make a new account on toontown since I only have one e-mail.

Both myself and bluedudeman have tried bringing contests back but have diffculty doing so because other than a congrats, we can't offer anything for winning like the awards. Back when VMK was around I could give free rooms or something similar for winning one of my games which I did, and the games I did were popular and did have final winners whether or not I always posted who won at the time.

Don't get me wrong Jezzi: I know you guys aren't responsible for keeping us entertained, and you do this on your free time. I know and understand that. My thing is you guys have suggested that we do our own contests by ourselves and stuff. But we can't give out many prizes which attract players to want to keep playing still. Some of the contests I could never even attempt anyways such as the graphic ones. I am terrible when it comes to graphics. I also know the contests were not all graphics either, with not much activity in them. Tepcat was great at running them and did a good job with all that was on her plate.

Plus another thing I would like to know is if we will be able to upload pictures anytime soon? I was planning on doing a few reports of Disney World on here such as Fantasyland Expansion updates, the new Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom game, and pictures of the Art of Animation Reosrt. Yet I can't do that until it is fixed, so if it possible to tell us when it should be fixed I would appreciate that.

If you saw I am not saying the Mods and Admins are doing nothing, but is there any compromise that we can maybe reach? I asked Batleth to make different park sub-forum areas which has in a way worked a little bit. I myself am waiting to upload pictures of my many pins to show so I may post them in the pin area. Isn't there anything we can do together, other than just keep posting other stuff?

And Jezzi: Don't be sad-faced. We're VMKF family here. Disney. That means be happy . After all in the parks it is illegal to be sad. Don't you know that? As I said I am not trying to make it sound like an act of rebellion or anything, and I know new Mods and/or Admins are not going to happen. I'm just stating my view point, as I also am attempting to look at yours as well. I know you guys do this stuff with your free time, and believe me: I THANK YOU FOR IT. Without a collaboration of the Mods and Admins we have with us members, this VMKF family still exists to this day for that reason.

My only other question is this: Will the "quarterly round" of VMK trivia ever end, or have you stopped it at this point? I've stopped playing mostly for now because I'm in fear of you ending it.

P.S. - To those who read this I apologize for it being so long xD "Do I feel sheepish." - Genie of the Lamp
-Stitchco
Old 02-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Hugs and Pixie Dust
Awards Showcase
Halloween'11 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2011 Summer Party Winner's Award Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 
Total Awards: 24

My Mood: Pixieish
Jezzi has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundJezzi has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundJezzi has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundJezzi has turned into a Bat and is flying around
@Blossomflower
Me too but with the game gone the majority of people have moved on to other interests, maybe computer-related or maybe real life (whatever that is...) They were only here to discuss the game.

@bluedudeman
Obviously I chose the wrong word but some days it feels as though everyone expects the staff to be the driving force behind this site and that is not the case. We are here to support the members and to ensure the environment is safe for anyone to enjoy. I do not join new topics as most are based around the parks, etc and I have never visited any nor do I watch Disney channels, I was only here for the game. All of the staff are also on the sister sites and since these are more active they tend to spend the majority of their free time modding those sites or do specific jobs, eg userpages only.

@Stitchco - Wow okay, bear with me and hopefully I can answer everything

I can't really comment on the length of time awards were available but usually they span the time of the actual holiday. Therefore the Halloween one would only be available for the one day (typically it is put up the night before and taken down very late the next day).

Many people made new game accounts specifically for the contest and a lot found that they enjoyed another game and have continued to play them long after the contest finished (many pixies have ended up enjoying pirates more), you didn't have to make an account on our sister sites to join in the fun.

As for making your own contests all I can suggest is the winner gets a signature or avatar made, it doesn't have to be for this site. If they go on a MyLittlePony site for instance you could make one for there. I know you said you are graphic-challenged (me too!) but maybe you could team up with someone who would do that for you.

This is from our Pixie site, posted today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batleth View Post
I know many of you are concerned when we'll be re-opening albums for everyone. Just hang in there. We're moving sites to a new server, right now. Once this is done, we will re-open albums to everyone again.
This is from our Toontown site:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batleth
We're already over due to end the session by several months. TooHip was handling all the trivia stuff but has become far too busy with real life to continue. So he is going to step down as admin and Sven is going to take it over for him. We're now waiting on TooHip to have time to train Sven. Till we can get this resolved, we've put a hold on ending sessions and giving out awards for trivia.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:32 PM
VMKF's WDW Expert-Nerd
Awards Showcase

VIP
I'll attempt to try a contest if I can find someone to team up with (I'm great at thinking up ideas, and story-telling, and stuff. Give me a pen and paper, and ask me to draw a great picture with people in it, and I'll give you stick people that are poorly drawn and a poorly drawn sun. Seriously. It's sad).

You did an amazing job answering my questions Jezzi and I thank you very much for answering them, especially when you are doing this on your free time (Sorry I freaked you out again xD).

My only other question is this: I know that Mods and Admins such as yourself are "to support the members and to ensure the environment is safe for anyone to enjoy" as you said, but I think it would also be nice to have you guys post questions or something you like in a Disney park. This goes for those such as yourself who have not been to one. Why not ask a question or something in my VMKF WDW Nerd thread? Ask something you would like to know if you ever travel there. Just because you have never been there, doesn't mean you can't join in on the discussions. I talked about DLR and joined some of their old posts. Did I ever go? Nope. I'd like to one day, but I haven't yet (though it is true that I research so I do more than I let on ) Bascially my question is can't you join us in our discussions? xD I know I'm gonna have more questions eventually, but I think that is it for now.

Again I apologize for being so long and everything Jezzi and scaring as I did before. I hope you can forgive me for that. I'm just trying to make sure our family stays together and we all have fun together and relieve all our memories. ugh. I did it again. Sorry for making this long to and dragging something so short into something so long (I'm terribly frightened that I'm good at doing that). Thanks for everything you all do for us!

-Stitchco
Old 03-20-2012, 03:54 AM
Awards Showcase
Halloween'11 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2011 Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award 
Total Awards: 20

Here Since Day 1
My Mood: Busy
Batleth has Levitated to new heights!Batleth has Levitated to new heights!Batleth has Levitated to new heights!Batleth has Levitated to new heights!Batleth has Levitated to new heights!Batleth has Levitated to new heights!Batleth has Levitated to new heights!
I moved some of the staff that aren't around anymore to HOF status. Been meaning to get to that. Admins stay on staff for all our sites, just incase.

Reminder: Update my sig.....geez that's old!