Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > VMK Gaming Archived Forums > Guest Rooms

Guest Rooms Discussion about your own guest rooms, other players guest rooms and the official rooms.

Old Western River Expedition

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:15 AM
Passholder Since 1992!

Nintendo_DualScreen ’s Invisible pin is 5* - Spooky!
Western River Expedition

Western River Expedition
Coming Spring 2008

That's right, you read the title correctly, I am going to build the legendary never built Disney ride. But if you don't
know what I am talking about, read the text below...

Rough Ride Summary (Based off Memory, Excuse Me For Minor Inaccuracies)

Sometime long ago in the 1960's, Disney Imagineers were busy designing rides and attractions for the big "Florida Project".
Walt Disney wanted this Florida Park to be bigger and better than Disneyland. He wanted some of the classic Disney rides to
be built there but he also wanted build new and unique rides there. One Imagineer named Marc Davis was busy designing
something big and unique. Marc Disney was a prominent Disney animator and animatronic designer. He also was one of Disney's
Nine Old Men. He was designing a large scale boat ride that would take Pirates Of The Carribean's place as the water ride
at this new park.

Everything was going fine until Walt Disney died, most of the Imagineers stopped working, and the Florida project almost
got canceled. But Marc Davis was busy working on this big attraction that would have everyone at Disney Imagineering
amazed. Work had resumed on the Florida and Marc Davis had unveiled his attraction that would make the Florida Park
shine over Disneyland, he called it...

Western River Expedition

It was a large boat ride would take riders through the wild west and down a large waterfall at the end. The ride would
have been built inside a large plateau like building called Thunder Mesa, (which should sound familiar if you've been to
Disneyland Paris.) which would have been five stories tall and have the same length as Tom Sawyer's Island. It was
so big, it would also fit a mine train roller coaster that would travel both backwards and forward (Sounds like a
ride we have today, doesn't it?) And on the top there would be an authentic Indian village where guest can enjoy a
spectacular view of the rest of the park. This whole complex would have been called Thunder Mesa.

The executives were impressed by this idea and thought it would be great to build because at the time Imagineers
believed that people in Florida were too accustomed to Pirates as pirates are a part Florida's local legend and lore.
They thought that people in Florida would be more surprised by cowboys and Indians.

The Florida park, now named Walt Disney World, opened in 1971. But Thunder Mesa was not there. Why? you may ask.
Well, the park opened and this project was given the green light and land had been cleared for this massive project.
It was even listed as coming soon.

But what caused it to get canceled?

Well several things did. Before the ride got built. The people in charge of the Walt Disney world project realized that
a ride this big would be over their budget. and while Marc Davis was working on the model of the ride, but a new
Imagineer named Tony Baxter was working on the model with him. Tony Baxter is a Disney Imagineer who designed
big Disney rides like Star Tours, Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, Finding Nemo
Submarine Voyage and the one ride that got Marc Davis's attraction canceled.

As Tony worked with Marc on the model he looked at the mine train roller coaster and told Marc that it needs to
be more exciting and suspenseful in the beginning. Marc of course disagreed with the new Imagineer which led Tony
Baxter to design his own mine train roller coaster that would compete with the large spot available in Frontierland.
Marc was not intimidated because he thought, "What would they build, a ride designed by someone experienced
like me or the new guy?" But of course as Tony Baxter unveiled his concept, Imagineers and the executives thought
it was a great and more affordable idea than Thunder Mesa.

There was some hope for this ride still, but Tony's concept, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, opened at Disneyland in 1979 and
was a huge success. But the biggest thing that killed this project was that employees at City Hall at Walt Disney World
were receiving complaints from guests about the Pirates Of The Carribean not being at Walt Disney World.

Pirates Of The Carribean opened in 1973 and Big Thunder Mountain opened in 1980 and Western River Expedition was canceled.

All the models and concept sketches now lay silently in the Disney Imagineering achieves. Many concepts from this
ride has been incorporated in many Disney rides we have today:
  • Remember the part of Splash Mountain after the big drop where it passes the Rivers Of America? Well this is based off
    the final drop on Western River Expedition.
  • The western themed section at Disneyland Paris is called Thunder Mesa, named after the Western River Expedition show building.
  • When riders ride up the first lift hill on Splash Mountain, they see an owl. This was also an Owl on the first lift
    on The Western River Expedition, but it was the ride's narrator named Hoot Gibson.

I would like to thank you for taking your time to read this and other sites where I got my info

Your comments are highly appreciated!!!

Last edited by UpInTheAir; 01-07-2008 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: removed unallowed links
Old 01-07-2008, 01:27 AM
Bird - The one and only.
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

TheBird is as Frosty as a Snowman
Very nice. I can't wait to see this ride in action. Too bad Marc got stabbed in the back (kind of) by a fellow Imagineer.

Bird
Old 01-07-2008, 01:28 AM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

slinkyman is floating through Inner Space
I think I have seen some of your VMK Rooms in the past based off of Disney Attractions. I'm sure this will be fantastic and cannot wait until it is open!
Old 01-07-2008, 01:34 AM
Passholder Since 1992!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBird View Post
Very nice. I can't wait to see this ride in action. Too bad Marc got stabbed in the back (kind of) by a fellow Imagineer.

Bird
Well Tony had tried to forgive Marc over the years but Marc held a grudge against him, but if Western River Expedition was built, Tony would have never started his career, which means no 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, Star Tours, Indiana Jones or Big Thunder Mountain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinkyman View Post
I think I have seen some of your VMK Rooms in the past based off of Disney Attractions. I'm sure this will be fantastic and cannot wait until it is open!
You may have seen my Tower Of Terror ride, and I look forward to bringing this ride to life!
Old 01-07-2008, 02:09 AM
Banned

Xiaolin has Fireworks shooting off over their headXiaolin has Fireworks shooting off over their headXiaolin has Fireworks shooting off over their headXiaolin has Fireworks shooting off over their head
Wonderful idea. It's inspirational what Disney attractions can do.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:09 AM
Dog Lover :)

My Mood: Hakuna_Matata
SillyBrightPuppy is as Frosty as a Snowman
This looks amazing!
- Silly
Old 01-09-2008, 05:59 AM
Passholder Since 1992!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaolin View Post
Wonderful idea. It's inspirational what Disney attractions can do.
Yes, yes it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyBrightPuppy View Post
This looks amazing!
- Silly
Thanks.

I will post an update sometime this week to give everyone an idea how far I am into this project. Things have been very busy this week in my life so far, so that's why I couldn't work on it.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:06 AM
Magic Kingdom tour guide
Awards Showcase
Which Disney Character Participant's Award Halloween '09 Award Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 4

Born In Park VIP
My Mood: Disney
Epcotfans is as Frosty as a Snowman
i can't to ride it! i would like to see all your rides!
Old 04-27-2008, 02:50 AM
Passholder Since 1992!

Sorry about the random bump, but I wanted to post an update...

Well with the recent news of Vmk's closure, this ride will be canceled.
I just don't feel like working on it then having it taken away...

The funny thing about this is this got canceled, just like the real ride
did, talk about irony!

I will continue this if Disney changes their minds about closing VMK.

What I always say in this kind of situation... WHAT WOULD WALT DISNEY DO?