Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Other > Arts, Creativity, Sigs, & Avatars > Paint By Numbers

Paint By Numbers Post your tutorial and how-to guides here for the art community!

Old Bezier Glow Line Tutorial

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:14 PM
I miss VMK so much.
Awards Showcase
VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 2

My Mood: AFK
MinniesDream is covered with ConfettiMinniesDream is covered with ConfettiMinniesDream is covered with Confetti
Bezier Glow Line Tutorial

I love using these in my signatures because they give everything a surreal effect that can't get enough of, and it really points out the purpose of things. The signature that I have right now has one around Rex and Julie's arms together, because it shows how their relationship kind of blooms in the play.

I will show you a way to do this; If I had a better program, I could make it MUCH easier, but this works for almost ALL programs with layers, so you can all use it. (:

I will be using this picture, from the Broadway version of My Fair Lady:

Loverly, I know. And why is Firefox telling me that 'loverly' isn't a word? Come on, who doesn't know My Fair Lady? xD

Step 1: Squiggles

If the picture is bigger, you need a bigger brush. I will be using a size 12px brush for this picture (but on signatures I recommend a 5px brush).MAKE A NEW LAYER FOR THE SQUIGGLE LINE. Choose the color white and draw just a squiggle line over where you want, like this (click on the image to see the full size):

Step 2: Erasing

This is the hard part by far. You want the line to gradually get bigger, so erase the edges of the end of the line so the line is biggest in the middle.

This takes a LOT of time and a steady hand.

Like this(click on the image to see the full size):

Now, to make it look as if the line is wrapping around the body, erase every other line that is on her body, like this(click on the image to see the full size):

Still doesn't look very good, does it?

Step 3: Glow Effect

This part is easy. First, duplicate the layer that has the squiggle on it. Now you have two layers that are the squiggle.

On either of the layers (doesn't matter) go to: Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur and set the radius to 8.8. Then, duplicate the ORIGINAL LAYER (the one that has not been blurred) and drag it to the top.

Again, go to: Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur, BUT set the radius to 4.8.

Now it looks like this(click on the image to see the full size):

Step 4: Opacity

mess around with the opacity of the MAIN line (the ones that have NOT been blurred). If you want an airy, light effect, change the opacity to about 17%. I want to do this, so I'm going to make it look different.

This is what it looks like now (click on the image to see the full size):

Step 5: "Pixie Dust"

This is easy. Just take different sized brushes and dot them in random places around the line, to make everything look surreal and magical.

This is what I got (click on the image to see the full size):

It's kind of pretty. It makes everything look so magical- I've done this to Julie as the tooth fairy, and it looked wonderful.

Use it wisely!

If you have any comments or questions please post so others can have their questions answered too.

Oh, and to make things look prettier, you can color ONLY the thing that is being wrapped in the line. It makes things look magical. (It was also fun to color!) I love coloring black and white photos... xD

Old 07-30-2009, 06:17 PM
up the irons \m/
Awards Showcase
VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 3

My Mood: Evil
dabaseballking ’s Invisible pin is 5* - Spooky!
oo i'm trying this. i need to add another skill to my gimp-masterness.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:23 PM
the ground is falling.
Awards Showcase
2010 Holiday Award Graphics Trio Award Patriot 2010 Award Happy Valentine's Day Guess the Picture Winner's Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Happy Holidays'09 Award Xmas Wishlist '09 
Total Awards: 15

My Mood: Insomnious
GryfindorGal is floating through Inner Space
I love making Glow Lines, they're always fun to do. Except, I make them a different way. Hmm. I think this way is easier, though. (:

It's funny how the words we never say/can turn into the only thoughts we know
So if you hear this song on the radio/I've said it now and there's no turning back

myshop myuserpage myprofile
music: monday morning - death cab for cutie
Old 07-30-2009, 06:39 PM
I miss VMK so much.
Awards Showcase
VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 2

My Mood: AFK
MinniesDream is covered with ConfettiMinniesDream is covered with ConfettiMinniesDream is covered with Confetti
There are easier ways to do this, but you have to have "top notch" programs that cost a lot- I have photoshop elements 4.0, but it doesn't have some features.

And LOL, I loove your sigs Kat. : D
Old 08-08-2009, 11:25 PM
the ground is falling.
Awards Showcase
2010 Holiday Award Graphics Trio Award Patriot 2010 Award Happy Valentine's Day Guess the Picture Winner's Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Happy Holidays'09 Award Xmas Wishlist '09 
Total Awards: 15

My Mood: Insomnious
GryfindorGal is floating through Inner Space
Actually, I just use GIMP for glow lines. hahaha. (:
and thank you! your sigs are faaantastic.
kaaat.

It's funny how the words we never say/can turn into the only thoughts we know
So if you hear this song on the radio/I've said it now and there's no turning back

myshop myuserpage myprofile
music: monday morning - death cab for cutie