Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Other > Off Topic > WAY Off Topic

WAY Off Topic Off Topic archive

Old Movie

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Disneyland Fangirl
Awards Showcase
Happy St. Patrick's Day 
Total Awards: 1

My Mood: Boo!
Silverpsycho is as Frosty as a Snowman
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFan View Post
Yes I understand, but remember don't judge a book by it's cover.
Besides the film hardly has any songs like that of the Indian cinema "Bollywood"
Ah, but the marketing should not advertise the film for something it isn't. Find me a critic or average moviegoer who does not judge a given movie by its trailer in order to know whether they wish to see it or not. A trailer establishes a connection between its given audience, gaining an interest in whatever genre it is. However this movie is deceiving through its trailer because it most definitely is not a musical but is advertised as such. Believe me, I know Bollywood is extremely popular so maybe the gimmick of making the film appear to be one made the appeal so much more great.

So tonight I finally got my first viewing of Slumdog Millionaire. I went in without any expectations, as they were not high or low so there were none to be met. Plus I'm not exactly sure what DisneyFan meant in his/her post because I never used any form of judgment, as I merely formed a guess from what was offered through the trailer. In order to judge a film, I would have made a comment on the actual film itself, saying it wasn't good or is an awesome film without having seen it...now that is judging a book by its cover.

Okay so as far as the film goes, I didn't think much of it, but I have a great appreciation for what it did. First off the cinematography was done extremely well and the film captured the true essence of the hectic claustrophobic slums atmosphere of India. I also really enjoyed the set-up of the film, making transitions between the past and the game show...pertaining to the given questions and seeing how the answers arise in Jamal's life.

The reason this film just didn't really do anything for me is because I didn't have an emotional connection with the characters. It could be because I'm an American and I don't fully know the culture of India or because the cast lacked giving its audience a proper form of acting to convey various emotions. I didn't feel attached with anyone, I just felt distant like I was just a viewer, not a part of the film. I like feeling more captivated and in synch with the characters in order to truly care about them.

Other than that, I must give a hand to Danny Boyle for yet another courageous project. The man has explored all different genres and knows how to create a hit. Having such a varied mix of films (28 Days Later and Sunshine) prove he's a brilliant director and doesn't stick to one kind of plot.

So while this is represented as a love story, it really isn't one and the dancing that is displayed in all the trailers and tv spots is a false representation of what this film is, since that portion doesn't even happen until the credits and is not even a part of the film itself. This was more like an Indian Forrest Gump but obviously this had a little more to it and wasn't near the caliber of Forrest Gump. So the film itself had heart, but the characters did not. I recommend that those who are curious give it a watch but it isn't exactly worthy of multiple viewings or worth owning. Definitely an interesting piece but in my eyes, it's the weakest of Boyle's films thus far.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
VMK Memories Award 

My Mood: SaveVMK
DisneyFan is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverpsycho View Post
Ah, but the marketing should not advertise the film for something it isn't. Find me a critic or average moviegoer who does not judge a given movie by its trailer in order to know whether they wish to see it or not. A trailer establishes a connection between its given audience, gaining an interest in whatever genre it is. However this movie is deceiving through its trailer because it most definitely is not a musical but is advertised as such. Believe me, I know Bollywood is extremely popular so maybe the gimmick of making the film appear to be one made the appeal so much more great.

So tonight I finally got my first viewing of Slumdog Millionaire. I went in without any expectations, as they were not high or low so there were none to be met. Plus I'm not exactly sure what DisneyFan meant in his/her post because I never used any form of judgment, as I merely formed a guess from what was offered through the trailer. In order to judge a film, I would have made a comment on the actual film itself, saying it wasn't good or is an awesome film without having seen it...now that is judging a book by its cover.

Okay so as far as the film goes, I didn't think much of it, but I have a great appreciation for what it did. First off the cinematography was done extremely well and the film captured the true essence of the hectic claustrophobic slums atmosphere of India. I also really enjoyed the set-up of the film, making transitions between the past and the game show...pertaining to the given questions and seeing how the answers arise in Jamal's life.

The reason this film just didn't really do anything for me is because I didn't have an emotional connection with the characters. It could be because I'm an American and I don't fully know the culture of India or because the cast lacked giving its audience a proper form of acting to convey various emotions. I didn't feel attached with anyone, I just felt distant like I was just a viewer, not a part of the film. I like feeling more captivated and in synch with the characters in order to truly care about them.

Other than that, I must give a hand to Danny Boyle for yet another courageous project. The man has explored all different genres and knows how to create a hit. Having such a varied mix of films (28 Days Later and Sunshine) prove he's a brilliant director and doesn't stick to one kind of plot.

So while this is represented as a love story, it really isn't one and the dancing that is displayed in all the trailers and tv spots is a false representation of what this film is, since that portion doesn't even happen until the credits and is not even a part of the film itself. This was more like an Indian Forrest Gump but obviously this had a little more to it and wasn't near the caliber of Forrest Gump. So the film itself had heart, but the characters did not. I recommend that those who are curious give it a watch but it isn't exactly worthy of multiple viewings or worth owning. Definitely an interesting piece but in my eyes, it's the weakest of Boyle's films thus far.

I highly disagree, but that's okay because that's the whole point of this thread.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Disneyland Fangirl
Awards Showcase
Happy St. Patrick's Day 

Quote:
I highly disagree, but that's okay because that's the whole point of this thread.
I'm sorry but this:
Quote:
It is, it was a really good movie.
does not stand for a very good review to oppose with mine. Please give some insight as to why it made for a "really good movie." I like to read actual reasons. Plus how can you disagree with what I said when I both praised the film but didn't care for it? I discuss both pros and cons with my reasoning behind both.

No problem with having an alternate opinion as long as you provide an explanation as to why if you're going to quote me. To say "I highly disagree" is sort of ignoring the issue and makes for a rather meaningless post if you ask me.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:51 AM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
VMK Memories Award 

Quote:
I'm sorry but this:

does not stand for a very good review to oppose with mine. Please give some insight as to why it made for a "really good movie." I like to read actual reasons. Plus how can you disagree with what I said when I both praised the film but didn't care for it? I discuss both pros and cons with my reasoning behind both.

No problem with having an alternate opinion as long as you provide an explanation as to why if you're going to quote me. To say "I highly disagree" is sort of ignoring the issue and makes for a rather meaningless post if you ask me.

whoah calm down!!

I liked the movie and did see some flaws as I do in other films as well.

The film was one of a kind and the characters did connect with me.

However some parts were pretty "graphic" I should say.

Happy now?
Old 03-01-2009, 01:01 AM
Courageous
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Guess the Picture Winner's Award Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 7

Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: MadHat
Brer_Nick is spinning in a Cursed Storm
It looked way too cliche for my tastes. Plus I only watch Bollywood for dancing James Bonds and such.

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, shining at the end of every day. There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, just a Dream away...
Old 03-01-2009, 01:35 AM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
VMK Memories Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brer_Nick View Post
It looked way too cliche for my tastes. Plus I only watch Bollywood for dancing James Bonds and such.
What's that?
Old 03-01-2009, 07:26 AM
Disneyland Fangirl
Awards Showcase
Happy St. Patrick's Day 

Quote:
whoah calm down!!

I liked the movie and did see some flaws as I do in other films as well.

The film was one of a kind and the characters did connect with me.

However some parts were pretty "graphic" I should say.

Happy now?
Ha ha, nothing to really calm down about. I just like explanations and I tend to go off on wanting more from someone with an opposing view. I just like a proper critique when it comes to reviews, but I most certainly don't expect for everyone to be on the same page since movies will not always appeal to the same audience. To be so plain and simply say it was good, yet you disagree with my opinion doesn't have any support or meaning to your post. Truthfully, no I am not satisfied with your last post either because once again you don't support anything you've said. My reasoning is because you have now suddenly mentioned flaws where you had not before, yet you don't point out which moments in the film had them. Also you claim to have connected to the characters, but never offered an example as to when or even mentioned a character's name. I do agree with you that certain moments were graphic but it was to a very low degree in comparison to almost all movies that share a common likeness, but obviously are different films altogether. I can't offer any good examples since I watch far too many horror and thriller/suspense films so graphic is something I am well adjusted to and I feel almost immune to anything of that nature. If I had to choose a film to connect the rate of violence, it would be Blow, but I believe even that has a higher degree. I guess we'll just agree to disagree on Slumdog Millionaire but I feel well established on every viewpoint I made.

Last edited by Silverpsycho; 03-01-2009 at 09:23 AM..
Old 03-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
VMK Memories Award 

Quote:
Ha ha, nothing to really calm down about. I just like explanations and I tend to go off on wanting more from someone with an opposing view. I just like a proper critique when it comes to reviews, but I most certainly don't expect for everyone to be on the same page since movies will not always appeal to the same audience. To be so plain and simply say it was good, yet you disagree with my opinion doesn't have any support or meaning to your post. Truthfully, no I am not satisfied with your last post either because once again you don't support anything you've said. My reasoning is because you have now suddenly mentioned flaws where you had not before, yet you don't point out which moments in the film had them. Also you claim to have connected to the characters, but never offered an example as to when or even mentioned a character's name. I do agree with you that certain moments were graphic but it was to a very low degree in comparison to almost all movies that share a common likeness, but obviously are different films altogether. I can't offer any good examples since I watch far too many horror and thriller/suspense films so graphic is something I am well adjusted to and I feel almost immune to anything of that nature. If I had to choose a film to connect the rate of violence, it would be Blow, but I believe even that has a higher degree. I guess we'll just agree to disagree on Slumdog Millionaire but I feel well established on every viewpoint I made.

Anyways moving on.

Overall I liked the movie.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:20 AM
.:808s And Hearbreak:.

My Mood: Awkward
Samyz is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I can't see it cause it's rated R. *laughs* But, it does look interesting. By my guess, it's about an Indian kid named Jamal (am I right? Correct me if I'm wrong.) that goes on an Indian version of "Who Want to be a Millionare?" and manages to win. He then I belive goes on a crazy trip to find his love that I can't remember her name....well, you get the point, right?

So yeah, it looks like an Indian HSM, but better. WAY better imo. But, hey, I can't be the one to judge.

Gah, this post stinks.

~Samyz

Ahh, love. Tis soo young. I think...
~<3
Old 03-06-2009, 02:01 AM
Disneyland Fangirl
Awards Showcase
Happy St. Patrick's Day 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samyz View Post
I can't see it cause it's rated R. *laughs* But, it does look interesting. By my guess, it's about an Indian kid named Jamal (am I right? Correct me if I'm wrong.) that goes on an Indian version of "Who Want to be a Millionare?" and manages to win. He then I belive goes on a crazy trip to find his love that I can't remember her name....well, you get the point, right?

So yeah, it looks like an Indian HSM, but better. WAY better imo. But, hey, I can't be the one to judge.

Gah, this post stinks.

~Samyz
Great guess, but the movie is based on Jamal's answers and how his life helped him answer the questions he was provided with. The host was not expecting for Jamal to win and thought of him as a cheat because how could an average slumdog have so much knowledge. So the movie is a series of important flashbacks in Jamal's life, working up to his moment on Who Want to be a Millionaire.

I have never seen any of the HSM movies in full, just bits and pieces so I wouldn't be able to compare them.

Your post does not stink.

I hope you get to see the film soon enough so you can give it a critique yourself. It's definitely worth at least one watch.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:16 PM
blehh♥♥
Awards Showcase
Halloween'10 Award Spooky Scribe Award Golden Years Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Design a Pin Participation's Award Patriot 2009 Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Caption Contest Winner 
Total Awards: 12

My Mood: Baffled
xoop is covered with Confettixoop is covered with Confettixoop is covered with Confetti
Haven't seen it, but I'm interested! =) Is it good? What's it rated?
Old 03-07-2009, 02:53 AM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
VMK Memories Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoop View Post
Haven't seen it, but I'm interested! =) Is it good? What's it rated?
It's a really good film. It's rated R though.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:34 AM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
VMK Memories Award 

Bump (short)