Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Disney Fan Club > Disney Gossip > Disney Gossip Archive

Disney Gossip Archive Disney Gossip archive

Old People will do anything for money...A pirate argument

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 07-13-2006, 08:20 PM
On The Air!™

figmentisback is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGatsby
The ride was based on a real-life incident that occurred in Florida in the 1700s when a group of pirates, mistakenly believing the Spanish had hidden gold in one of their forts, banded together and invaded that fort. No gold was found, but the incident is still celebrated every year in the city where it took place: St. Petersburg, Florida.
You sure thats what it was based on??

I thought it was based on something else.. in the carribbean... not Tampa bay..
(no more on this subject of Gasparilla..)

Some dug up his copyrights.. they were filed after the movie was in production... I believe
Old 07-13-2006, 08:25 PM
Friend of Daisy Buchanan

GreatGatsby has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundGreatGatsby has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundGreatGatsby has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Quote:
Originally Posted by figmentisback
You sure thats what it was based on??
Yep. But that's beside the point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL_Florida Oranges
You make it sound like he's telling the truth (and he very well could be), but why would he wait until now to file any lawsuit?
I already answered this. Please read my previous post again.

Sometimes a claim like this takes years to work out, and going to court is usually the last resort.

If this is like most copyright suits (and typical of movie studio suits), the author spend 2, 3, 4, 5 or more years trying to get the studio to acknowledge or settle the claim. Why now? Because he was tired of getting nowhere with Disney several months ago, and it usually takes that long to file a suit of this sort.

The timing may be on purpose, but it may also be coincidental.

If I'm making it sound like the guy is telling the truth, it's only because most on this thread have already called him a liar without knowing anything whatosever about this situation. I don't know who is right here, and neither do any of you.

My very first sentences in this thread are the key: when did Royce Mathew copyright his material, and when was the first draft of the script with those elements completed?

Only the people who can tell us that conclusively are in the position to tell us who is the truthful one in this suit.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Banned

Oranges has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundOranges has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundOranges has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Quote:
My very first sentences in this thread are the key: when did Royce Mathew copyright his material, and when was the first draft of the script with those elements completed?
Do we even know if he did copyright his material?

I also have another question:

Wouldn't the press release something about the lawsuit if he contacted Disney about it 3 or 4 years ago? Unless they signed waivers or contracts to not let anything leak, I'm sure that the media would get word of it and we would have heard about it before.

~Oranges

EDIT: Disregard my question about him putting copyrights on his material.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:34 PM
Ranter
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

Sarahisme is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoteny
Why would this guy have waited until now to file this suit? Had he not heard of the first movie until just now?
Unless he lived under a rock for awhile, it's utterly impossible.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:37 PM
Friend of Daisy Buchanan

GreatGatsby has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundGreatGatsby has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundGreatGatsby has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Quote:
Do we even know if he did copyright his material?

I also have another question:

Wouldn't the press release something about the lawsuit if he contacted Disney about it 3 or 4 years ago? Unless they signed waivers or contracts to not let anything leak, I'm sure that the media would get word of it and we would have heard about it before.

~Oranges
He would have to copyright it for any lawyer to even consider taking on a company like Disney. And only inept writers don't copyright their stuff before trying to sell it.

And, no, a press release would not necessarily mention previous years of settlement negotiations. That kind of thing is not considered the meat of the story, and while it might be included occasionally, it usually isn't. And even if it were, it's often removed from the story before it's printed in the papers.

But bear in mind what you read at the top of this thread is not a press release. It's a story written by someone on a website - not even a professional journalist - so the information in it is a little suspect to start with.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:40 PM
up&up

MissAmber has turned into a sparkling Pirate!MissAmber has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
Supernatural Pirate Movie? LOL I find that hilarious. That has to be the worst name someone could make up. (Just my opinion)

Disney will win this argument. =)
to spend these days without my heart

RelientK
Old 07-13-2006, 08:42 PM
A-wocka-wocka!
Awards Showcase
Golden Years Award Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 3

My Mood: Hopeful
Neoteny is covered with ConfettiNeoteny is covered with ConfettiNeoteny is covered with Confetti
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAmber
Supernatural Pirate Movie? LOL I find that hilarious. That has to be the worst name someone could make up. (Just my opinion)
It's at least as good as Scary Movie, Date Movie, and Not Another Teen Movie.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Friend of Daisy Buchanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAmber
Disney will win this argument. =)
How do you know?
Old 07-13-2006, 08:45 PM
Banned

Oranges has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundOranges has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundOranges has turned into a Bat and is flying around
He could have had general ideas in his head. He might not have had the specific character names and specific vessel names. Isn't there a chance that once he learned that Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl was coming out he just immediately rushed to get his material copyrighted?

I think it will all come down to Disney giving him money to just drop the issue - and I think that's exactly what he wants.

~Oranges
Old 07-13-2006, 08:45 PM
A-wocka-wocka!
Awards Showcase

Neoteny is covered with ConfettiNeoteny is covered with ConfettiNeoteny is covered with Confetti
Quote:
How do you know?
The same way people know that "Flying Carpet magic is coming next month!!!!" and "Green flips are going to be rereleased!!!"
Old 07-13-2006, 08:53 PM
Friend of Daisy Buchanan

Quote:
Isn't there a chance that once he learned that Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl was coming out he just immediately rushed to get his material copyrighted?
And that's exactly where my question stems from. When was the first draft of POTC - the one that includes the Black Pearl, Will, and Elizabeth - registered by Disney or Bruckheimer? That's the critical question. Is that date before or after Mr. Mathew's copyrights?

If it was after, Mr. Mathews may be right.

If it was before, Disney may be right.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:55 PM
Zero

PirateMario is as Frosty as a Snowman
hmm maybe he saw the cast and stuff a while ago on that website that show the stuff about movies. So he just thought of how stuff would look like then once he saw that they were making POTC: COTBP he quickly copy righted his ideas then he would wait to see how much money they made. that might have happend
Old 07-13-2006, 08:58 PM
A-wocka-wocka!
Awards Showcase

Or maybe he's telling the truth and Disney (or somebody) stole his ideas. It has happened before, you know.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Friend of Daisy Buchanan

Quote:
Or maybe he's telling the truth and Disney (or somebody) stole his ideas. It has happened before, you know.
It has indeed, and as I mentioned before, it has happened at Disney during Eisner's time.

We'll all just have to see how the court settles this. That's when the facts on both sides will come out.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Zero

PirateMario is as Frosty as a Snowman
Quote:
Yeah I get what you're saying, maybe Jerry Bruckhiemer only copied his idea but wanted to team up with Disney so he would only have to share half the money!