Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > Project: SAVE VMK!

Project: SAVE VMK! General Discussion about VMK closing!

Old Unlikely? Or Likely?

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:47 AM
My Username scrolls because I'm soooo good at #VMKTrivia !
Awards Showcase
Trivia Winner Caption Contest Participant's Award Graphics Trio Award Patriot 2010 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award Your Favorite Attraction Award Happy Valentine's Day Trivia Winner 
Total Awards: 18

My Mood: Ape
TikiPin_Dude is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerRyan View Post
He's actually the top poster here, kinda funny how it shows him logged in.

lol yeah I PMed him.

Yeah, I guess Disney tries to please as many people as they can with their decisions. I suppose more people are enjoying the new Disney MMORPG's than people who are mourning VMK. Or at least that's what Disney estimates.

Yea but sometimes they make a mistake, like closing VMK.

I hope your gut feeling is right! I'd love another game based on the parks, but it would never match up to the original (at least in my mind ).

Yea lol. Unless it is the original with more

Yes, Disney tried to split the VMK audience up by gender. It was just their business strategy. Of course I disagree, but what do I know?

LOL same here. Pirates bored me the second I started playing. Same with Cars Online and even...Pixie Hollow...hard for me to admit trying that one..lol. I haven't deeply involved myself in any other MMORPG since VMK because the closing of VMK marked the end of me playing online games altogether.

Yea me too.

LOL no that's Wilson who is played by Robert Sean Leonard on House. But I looked up that assistant guy and do they kinda look alike. I don't watch V though.

~tiki

Forever & Always
Old 04-12-2010, 07:14 AM
I <3 Disneyland
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Halloween'10 Award 2010 Holiday Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 

Born In Park Clan Leader Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: BDay
Broccolisprout is floating through Inner Space
I actually started playing Toontown a year before VMK closed. I saw the end of VMK coming, and began to move on. I started playing Pirates, Pixies, Toontown, Cars. I moved on to watching movies/playing outside/playing with my dolls/playing board games by myself/doing computer graphics/music remixes, and a lot of other stuff instead of staring at a computer version of Magic Kingdom 5 hours a day.

It is possible to move on. I'm not saying I wasn't sad when VMK closed, I'm just saying I had moved on long before it closed.

It would be cool if it came back, bigger and better than before. Maybe ALL OF WALT DISNEY WORLD! Wouldn't that be cool? Ride Everest anytime you want
Old 04-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
Halloween'10 Award VMK Memories Award 2010 Your Favorite Attraction Award Happy Valentine's Day Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award Which Disney Character Participant's Award Golden Years Award 
Total Awards: 8

My Mood: SaveVMK
VMKObsessed554 is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccolisprout View Post
Responses in bold. I'm not trying to be rude here, just stating my opinion.

Maybe Neoteny is a Disney employee and is lurking among us, seeing what we think of VMK closing

Hah, just joking though.
I agree with the VMK, Toontown and Pirates. I don't play Pixie Hollow or Cars. What about Club Penguin? I think it's a childish game that is unfair for unpaying members.

The day the world cried for VMK
I was one of those people.

--BestCookie_Crazy
Old 04-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Here From Day 1
Awards Showcase
2010 Holiday Award Your Favorite Attraction Award Happy Holidays'09 Award Xmas Wishlist '09 
Total Awards: 4

Here Since Day 1
My Mood: Disney
zephr is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Do people still actually think that VMK will re-open?

Fortuosity, that's me by-word.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:42 AM
My Username scrolls because I'm soooo good at #VMKTrivia !
Awards Showcase
Trivia Winner Caption Contest Participant's Award Graphics Trio Award Patriot 2010 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award Your Favorite Attraction Award Happy Valentine's Day Trivia Winner 

My Mood: Ape
TikiPin_Dude is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Do people actually think they know what is going to happen? Do they actually think they have facts? Do they actually think tehy can just stop us from saving VMK?

Forever & Always
Old 04-13-2010, 02:55 AM
Registered+

KGrisafe is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Disney doesn't care as long as they make money it didn't really matter to them when VMK closed.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:34 AM
Masked Cowboy
Awards Showcase
St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Epitaph Winner's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 
Total Awards: 49

VIP
My Mood: Happy
SoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing Inferno
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephr View Post
Do people still actually think that VMK will re-open?
A very small percentage, but yes. Hope can shield reality even when hope is gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikiPin_Dude View Post
Do people actually think they know what is going to happen? Do they actually think they have facts? Do they actually think tehy can just stop us from saving VMK?
The argument against VMK's re-opening is actually fact-based. Fact: VMK has been gone for 2 years. Fact: Disney claimed there were no plans to re-open VMK and have made no claims against that since. Fact: Disney is actually profitting from their current MMORPG business model. One can link these facts to common sense to quickly realize that VMK will not return. VMK wasn't making money, so they found a new way to make money and have been prospering since. Why repeat history when the outcome was unfavorable?

And I don't believe anyone is stopping you from doing anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGrisafe View Post
Disney doesn't care as long as they make money it didn't really matter to them when VMK closed.
Well, Disney had to have time to advertise their other pay-to-play games to VMK'ers before pulling the plug, so in this way some strategy was used. But yes, it is all about money.

Play trivia at #vmktrivia to win a purple scrolly!
Old 04-13-2010, 07:01 AM
Thanks To Friends
Awards Showcase
Super Donation Award Happy Valentine's Day VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Design a Pin Winner's Award Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Super Donation Award Halloween '08 Participation Award 

Born In Park VIP
mrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerRyan View Post
The argument against VMK's re-opening is actually fact-based. Fact: VMK has been gone for 2 years. Fact: Disney claimed there were no plans to re-open VMK and have made no claims against that since. Fact: Disney is actually profitting from their current MMORPG business model. One can link these facts to common sense to quickly realize that VMK will not return. VMK wasn't making money, so they found a new way to make money and have been prospering since. Why repeat history when the outcome was unfavorable?

Well, Disney had to have time to advertise their other pay-to-play games to VMK'ers before pulling the plug, so in this way some strategy was used. But yes, it is all about money.
I have my 2 cents to add as well..
The demise of VMk, in my opinion came when Paul Yanover and his team were brought aboard to create an online identity of Disney online.
VMK was originally funded by the park to celebrate the anniversary of Disneyland. It's success led to it's extended run. Eventually the contract for VMK ran out with it's original creators,( Yavn and his team and Sulake's input).
At this point the new team was put in with the direction that all online content should involve current Disney properties with direct tie-ins. VMK was never realized for the possibilities of the potential cross over effect to it's other movie/product successes. The new team came on with no intention of reviewing what already existed, only where to go from a new starting point.
Make no mistake that Disney is a company first - Entertainment Mecca second, and Walt's dream third.
Never give up on the dream.
Never let anyone say that trying to keep VMK alive in the minds of Disney a waste.
Things are always revisited..
Even VMK.
It's just a matter of who eventually realizes it.
Who knows, maybe one day, one of you will end up working there and bring up the idea again..
And VMK will rise again.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
Halloween'10 Award VMK Memories Award 2010 Your Favorite Attraction Award Happy Valentine's Day Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award Which Disney Character Participant's Award Golden Years Award 

My Mood: SaveVMK
VMKObsessed554 is spinning in a Cursed Storm
mrmyth, you are so right! I love the fact you wrote that, It brought more hope into my heart then I had. Yes, alot of you have said VMK is never re-opening. But It very much likely is, because sure alot of these video stuff that I've been posting are mostly all rumors, but the day VMK closed and Disney wrote on VMK saying like this is not an April Fool's joke, blah blah blah, they said "See You Soon!" Sure, you might think it's stupid, but it could mean anything. Like yeah, we were thinking of making a new site just like VMK but it won't be called, VMK. You'd be surprised at what three words could mean..

The day the world cried for VMK
I was one of those people.

--BestCookie_Crazy
Old 04-14-2010, 12:42 AM
Trivia Addict
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Make A Wish Award Trivia Winner Epitaph Participant's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 
Total Awards: 16

VIP
My Mood: Creative
bluedudeman has turned into a sparkling Pirate!bluedudeman has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
Wasn't this thread originally going on the path of "Yeah, we all want VMK back, but to people who are making videos and rumors saying it's coming back without any reliable evidence, please stop raising false hopes?"

I thought this thread was;

"oh em geeee VMK comes back in Octobah!"
"WOW how do you know?"
"I just have a feeling."
"Wow thanks."

I thought this thread was going to be united in not wanting false hope. All of a sudden it looks like it turned into people arguing with others to see who should give up, the people who think VMK will come back, or the people who think it's over?

I thought the original purpose of this thread was:

If you think VMK is coming back, go for it. Hope all you want do whatever, but don't create false hope, don't say something is definitely coming when it definitely is not.

Basically there's two sides. The people who give up, and the people who think it's coming back in one of the many upcoming "celebrations" or other things. They're always fighting

There's a third side though, and I think SoccerRyan and myself are included in it. It's the side that says "You may hope, even if we may not, but please do not provide us with false hope."

The two sides are always going at each others' throats. And I'm asking for it to stop, these two sides should coexist in the third side.

Hope, but not false hope.

If any of this made sense, thanks for reading, it took me forever and I just don't know how to explain it better.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:05 AM
Registered+

My Mood: Exasperated
canogon is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGrisafe View Post
Yep, just like they're doing now. People got bored of Toontown, and now they're taking it away from the park (I cant remember if it's in Disneyland, or Magic Kingdom) and putting a giant tree with lights sparkling around it calling it "Fairyland" (Not really, but you get the point). Just like 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, now remodeled and called "Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage".

Disney wont stop making changes ever, they do this to satisfy the new generation of families. If you look at the videos of the park opening, you can see that some things are gone now, and some new things are in their place.

You people can believe whatever you want. If VMK never opens again, you'll be disappointed and had lived a life believing a lie. If it does open, then nobody is going to even be mad at each other saying "hahaha, I told you so" and everyone will join, but maybe if that happens, you might be looking at life in another perspective and even care about a silly game you played as a teenager or whatever your age was.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:34 PM
Masked Cowboy
Awards Showcase
St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Epitaph Winner's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 

VIP
SoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing Inferno
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMKObsessed554 View Post
mrmyth, you are so right! I love the fact you wrote that, It brought more hope into my heart then I had. Yes, alot of you have said VMK is never re-opening. But It very much likely is, because sure alot of these video stuff that I've been posting are mostly all rumors, but the day VMK closed and Disney wrote on VMK saying like this is not an April Fool's joke, blah blah blah, they said "See You Soon!" Sure, you might think it's stupid, but it could mean anything. Like yeah, we were thinking of making a new site just like VMK but it won't be called, VMK. You'd be surprised at what three words could mean..
The "see ya real soon!" message was a Mickey Mouse Club reference and meant that they (Disney) would see us soon in other online games such as Pixie Hollow and Cars Online. It did not mean that VMK was going to return in any form. Over-analyzing messages such as this is a prime example of what Blue was discussing: false hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedudeman View Post
Basically there's two sides. The people who give up, and the people who think it's coming back in one of the many upcoming "celebrations" or other things. They're always fighting

There's a third side though, and I think SoccerRyan and myself are included in it. It's the side that says "You may hope, even if we may not, but please do not provide us with false hope."

The two sides are always going at each others' throats. And I'm asking for it to stop, these two sides should coexist in the third side.

Hope, but not false hope.
Any message that is not endorsed by Disney that claims the re-opening of VMK is a tool of false hope. This thread encourages false hope because there is NO evidence to back the given claim up.

Now responding to Blue, I don't think there are 3 sides but rather different extremes of each side. There are those who simply believe that VMK will return based on hope (whether or not it's false hope is subjective) and on the other hand, there are those who label anyone who doesn't think VMK will come back as a "dream crusher." Similarily, there are those who believe VMK will not return based on common sense and to a more extreme degree, there are those who label the opposition as "clinging to false hope."

I see myself as a moderate anti-VMK'er just like you described. I don't mind someone believing that VMK will return, as long as it's based on either hope or hard evidence. Spreading false hope is a bad way to get attention as it reflects an inconsiderate personality.

Now as a huge proponent of freedom or speech (in this case, what is allowed in the site rules), I encourage all points of view. So in contrast to you, I am not asking for any debate to stop. I just wouldn't debate someone who simply expressed a desire for the game to return because I'm not on the extreme edge of "dream crushing." For this thread in particular, the question is "Unlikely or Likely?" so the debate is being called for.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:10 AM
Trivia Addict
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Make A Wish Award Trivia Winner Epitaph Participant's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 

VIP
bluedudeman has turned into a sparkling Pirate!bluedudeman has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
I was not calling for the stoppage of the debate on whether or not it is unlikely for VMK to come back in 2013 or whenever the videos stated it.

If you know me, you know I am one of the first to jump into a debate, and often times among the last few hanging around, however what I was calling for to stop, was the fighting. ish ness.

ha
Old 04-15-2010, 01:34 AM
Masked Cowboy
Awards Showcase

VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedudeman View Post
I was not calling for the stoppage of the debate on whether or not it is unlikely for VMK to come back in 2013 or whenever the videos stated it.

If you know me, you know I am one of the first to jump into a debate, and often times among the last few hanging around, however what I was calling for to stop, was the fighting. ish ness.

ha
I guess for me, fighting is an unsophisticated form of debating. So for me, "stop fighting" = "stop that form of debating." But again, that's just me.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:37 AM
Trivia Addict
Awards Showcase

VIP
Sorry, I've got no idea what I was talking about. Because I like to debate as well.