Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > Disneys Online Worlds Guide (wiki)

Disneys Online Worlds Guide (wiki) This is the area to talk about the wiki, there is also a forum at toontowncentral.com for the wiki for those who are interested. http://www.disneysonlineworlds.com/

Old The wiki needs some TLC

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Trader
Awards Showcase
Super Sleuth Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 2

My Mood: SaveVMK
StarBP is as Frosty as a Snowman
The wiki needs some TLC

The VMK side of the wiki honestly needs some work. The "Checklist" page is acting up again with the DPL or whatever it's called. There is a simple fix: make 26 categories for each type of item (furniture, pins, clothing; rooms can have a single cat. since they aren't affected; pins should still be divided just in case VMK comes back in the future), one for each letter of the alphabet. Do a DPL on the Checklist from each of the 26 categories. Also, some regular pages are missing some items (for example, many of the 2008-release ALR accessories, such as ALR Bushes and the Cave Walls, are missing from the main categories). I know it is not the usual protocol to ask to be an editor on a forum thread, but it seems that I am the last person left who would be willing to give the wiki the love it needs (if VMK reopens, we have a mess on our hands at the current situation). I will be soon going through screenshots of my massive inventory, turning the pictures into a text list for my own use. As I view the items' data on the wiki, I could help the wiki out by making some small categorizing edits. Therefore, I am officially asking to become an editor of the Disney Online Worlds wiki so that future visitors to our compendium of knowledge can know that the lists on the site are truly complete.

Last edited by StarBP; 01-11-2009 at 03:46 AM..
Old 01-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Let's Motor
Awards Showcase
Halloween'11 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2011 Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award 
Total Awards: 20

Born In Park VIP
My Mood: Insomnious
UpInTheAir has Fireworks shooting off over their headUpInTheAir has Fireworks shooting off over their headUpInTheAir has Fireworks shooting off over their headUpInTheAir has Fireworks shooting off over their head
Thank you for expressing your concerns for our DOW wiki. I can assure you that there are many others who share your desire to have the VMK side of the wiki reach it's full potential.

As for the DPL checklist problems, this is a known issue and steps have been taken to correct this problem. Seeing as the default limit for DPL categorized pages is 500, the furniture category is currently being split into two categories for items A-L and M-Z. Until we can get all the pages categorized, for the time being I have manually corrected the Furniture checklist. We are also working towards the possibility of expanding the DPL limit so that this wouldn't be an issue to begin with.

If VMK does comes back, we will deal with that when the time comes. Right now there are other things that take priority instead of, for example, preemptively redividing our pin section.

Please feel free to point out any other specific corrections that need to be made.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Trader
Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpInTheAir View Post
Thank you for expressing your concerns for our DOW wiki. I can assure you that there are many others who share your desire to have the VMK side of the wiki reach it's full potential.

As for the DPL checklist problems, this is a known issue and steps have been taken to correct this problem. Seeing as the default limit for DPL categorized pages is 500, the furniture category is currently being split into two categories for items A-L and M-Z. Until we can get all the pages categorized, for the time being I have manually corrected the Furniture checklist. We are also working towards the possibility of expanding the DPL limit so that this wouldn't be an issue to begin with.

If VMK does comes back, we will deal with that when the time comes. Right now there are other things that take priority instead of, for example, preemptively redividing our pin section.

Please feel free to point out any other specific corrections that need to be made.
Many of the newer items are not in their categories (Accessories, Chairs, etc.). This would require comparing the DPL Checklist (see what I mean?) to the categories to see where they are. The clothing checklist is still incomplete. In addition, I propose a Master List of EVERY item in VMK (like the Checklist, but with the detail of the Chairs page). I would be glad to make some wikicode for it, if you are positive that your Checklist covers everything (I would do a simple find-and-replace on the checklist page). The page would be called Master List: Master List. All links would be to a page just called Master List, which would have a warning about long load times (over 2,000 pictures would take a minute or so to load on an economy broadband connection). Until the DPL issue is resolved, I would be glad to provide wikicode for the checklist (without DPL). If you would make me an editor, then I will even put the code in the wiki page for you. Shouldn't the split be A-M and N-Z, to be even?

Also, some embarrassments in the Checklist pages (items that don't belong):

Pin Checklist:
Happy Halloween from Lily
Lilo and Stitch Theme
Magic Pins
Magic Theme
Main Street Magic Shop
Single Use Magic Pins
Stitch Space Vehicle (Trading Card)
VMK Mystery Maze

Furniture Checklist:
Extension Pack (debatable, but this probably doesn't belong because it isn't in the inventory)
Film (pack of 5) (again, debatable)
Loop Builder Pack 1 (from now on, anything in italics is debatable)
Loop Builder Pack 2
Space Mountain Ride Starter Pack 1
Space Mountain Ride Starter Pack 2
Waterslide Ride Loop Builder Pack 1
Waterslide Ride Loop Builder Pack 2
Waterslide Ride Starter Pack 1
Waterslide Ride Starter Pack 2
Yeti Ride Loop Builder Pack 1
Yeti Ride Loop Builder Pack 2
Yeti Ride Starter Pack 1
Yeti Ride Starter Pack 2

Clothing Checklist:
50th Long Sleeve (remove it and turn the page into a redirect to D DISNEYLAND® Long Sleeve)
50th T-shirt (no need to have this when we have the colors)
50th Tank (divide it up into colors)
D DISNEYLAND® Long Sleeve (divide it up)
D DISNEYLAND® T-Shirt (no need)
D DISNEYLAND® Tank (no need)
D DISNEYLAND® Tank (50th) (no need)
Emoticon Mickey Long Sleeve (no need)
Emoticon Mickey T-Shirt (no need)
Emoticon Mickey Tank (no need)
Jacket (no need)
Jolly Roger Long Sleeve (no need)
Jolly Roger T-Shirt (no need)
Jolly Roger Tank (no need; it is redundant and repeating over and over again repeatedly!!!)
Long Sleeve Plaid Button Up (no need)
Long Sleeve Shirt (no need)
Mickey Long Sleeve (no need)
Minnie Long Sleeve (no need)
Shop Button Clothing
Shrunken Ned Tank (no need)
Tank top (no need)
Template:ShopClothing
Tink Long Sleeve Shirt (no need)
VMK Long Sleeve (no need)
VMK T-Shirt (no need)

Posters and Guest Rooms seem OK. Phew! I'm done with the checklist sharpening suggestions. Now can I please become an editor?

Last edited by StarBP; 01-11-2009 at 07:26 PM..
Old 01-11-2009, 05:12 PM
WDW lover :)
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award Halloween'11 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 
Total Awards: 26

My Mood: Disney
GoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
I wouldn't say that you are necessarily the last person, I've been trying my best to fit my spare time into adding the costume rotations in along with furniture rotations.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:51 PM
Trader
Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodPolarGirl View Post
I wouldn't say that you are necessarily the last person, I've been trying my best to fit my spare time into adding the costume rotations in along with furniture rotations.
If you are an editor, then take a stab at removing the checklist items I mentioned above. Some items, namely the ones which were intentionally added to the categories (like Loop Builder Pack 1), just need the category notation removed. Other items probably stem from a missing noinclude.
EDIT: I found the culprit for all of the problems in the Pin Checklist. There is an extra </noinclude> tag in the Stitch Spaceship Magic Single Use and Turn Into Bat Magic Single Use pages, causing the categories section to be included. The Clothing Checklist ones are not as easy, as someone took the easy way out and just made a template for Shop Button Clothing that includes the Category designation. Translation: Over 300 pages now have to be edited to add a category. Also, the Furniture Checklist errors simply require taking the category designation off of them (the categories were intentionally added). I guess it's time to give the wiki some TLC (Truly Large Changes)!

Last edited by StarBP; 01-11-2009 at 06:21 PM..
Old 01-12-2009, 01:05 AM
Let's Motor
Awards Showcase
Halloween'11 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2011 Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award 

Born In Park VIP
UpInTheAir has Fireworks shooting off over their headUpInTheAir has Fireworks shooting off over their headUpInTheAir has Fireworks shooting off over their headUpInTheAir has Fireworks shooting off over their head
Corrections to the checklist have been made as deemed fit. Furniture category splitting had been weighted to take into account disproportionate alphabetical distribution of items. Other issues, such as updating of the inventory pages, are part of ongoing projects that are worked on as time permits.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:09 AM
Trader
Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpInTheAir View Post
Corrections to the checklist have been made as deemed fit. Other issues, such as updating of the inventory pages, are part of ongoing projects that are worked on as time permits.
You probably also should remove the ride track SETS and Camera Film from the list, since they don't directly get added into the inventory.

Last edited by StarBP; 01-12-2009 at 01:09 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 01-12-2009, 01:10 AM
Let's Motor
Awards Showcase

Born In Park VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBP View Post
You probably also should remove the ride track SETS and Camera Film from the list, since they don't directly get added into the inventory.
The decision to leave these was a conscious one.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:10 PM
Trader
Awards Showcase

To UpInTheAir: I sent you a PM a few days ago about wiki proposals, and I am afraid that it has gotten lost in the PM system. Did you recieve it? If so, what do you think? Also, what do you think about my other proposals (such as the Master List)? The Master list wiki code would only take 10 minutes to put together from the Checklist (I have a find-and-replace macro for editing lists to create template wikicode; no, don't ask me for it, because it is in my head ), and it would help users who want to save an item list and who would otherwise resort to recursive site download utilities, which grab more clutter than useful stuff IMHO. One such utility even followed links to all of the item pages due to a typo in my command line syntax. Before I realized it and stopped the program (an hour later), it had downloaded 200 MB of useless junk (I really didn't want the rotation images on my computer, TYVM). Had I been doing this as an overnight task, it would have downloaded well over a gigabyte from your server. This story is an example of how the Master List page would benefit the community of VMK as a whole (not to mention the fact that, right now, everyone has to view around 50 pages to see the full listing of every item with the release/retire dates and the pictures). Anyway, I am just making sure that you got my PM.