Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Site Content > News Articles > This week in VMK Archive

This week in VMK Archive no posting

Old This Week in VMK (May 18-24)

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Let's Motor
Awards Showcase
Halloween'11 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2011 Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award 
Total Awards: 20

Born In Park VIP
My Mood: Insomnious
UpInTheAir has Fireworks shooting off over their headUpInTheAir has Fireworks shooting off over their headUpInTheAir has Fireworks shooting off over their headUpInTheAir has Fireworks shooting off over their head
This Week in VMK (May 18-24)

This Week in VMK!
May 18-24

Welcome to the latest installment of our weekly feature, This Week in VMK!
Take a peek into VMK's past as we remember some of the things that were happening...this week in VMK!

Click on the links to get more information from our VMK DOW wiki!

2005:

May 23rd:

Public Beta Testing Begins

Players enter the kingdom! VMK Opened for public Beta Testing with a full compliment of Beta Furniture.

2006:

May 19th:

Released

The Rongo Tiki Pin is released.

Re-released

The Tangaroa-Ru Tiki Idol Color Yellow, Tangaroa-Ru Tiki Idol Color Blue, and are released.

Newsletter

Thar be Pirates ahead!
Coming Next Week! High School Musical
VMK Staff Profiles: VMK_Snail
Top Players
Best Guest Room:
CL_Ferriz - Rainbow Room

Best Game Room:
AllyDance - Table freeze dance (prizes)
AlexKarateMonkey - Team Baseball!!

Best Player Quest:
Fieldo - Walt Disney's Quest

May 22th:

Retired

The Rongo Tiki Pin is retired.

May 23rd:

Newsletter
Thar be Pirates ahead!
High School Musical
Memorial Day Weekend Team Baseball Event
New Staff
Please give a warm welcome to VMK_Eagle and HOST_Lily. If you see them around make sure to say Hello. Also VMK_Sparky has moved on over to the Host team and will now be known as HOST_Sparky.
VMK Staff Profiles: VMK_Mocha
Top Players
Best Guest Room:
MickeyMickeyGrl - Memory Day Room
WorldofMotion - Madame Leota Knows Best

Best Game Room:
BluePirateGrl - Pirate Baseball!
Ranch - Bat Magic Baseball

Best Player Quest:
Neoteny - Disney's Mad Mixed Up Quest

2007:

May 18th:

Released

The Davy Jones' Key Pin, Pirate Pants (Female), and Pirate Pants (Male) are released.

May 21st:

Pirate Quest Released
Click the image to view the full version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest Description
Your knowledge of movies and attractions will be put to the test. Pirate trivia and Ship Battle skills ye will be needing in this quest. Batten down the hatches and put the wind in the sails! But remember, me hearties: dead men tell no tales!

Players who complete this quest will receive Cursed Storm.

Retired

The Davy Jones' Key Pin is retired.

Newsletter
Yavn Speaks
Event Info
Push's Trash Trivia
Top Players

heyyittsMadii - VMK Giant Tiki Tiki House

FlippyCheezer - Attack of The Kraken Game

HathowayB - Figment's Imagination Quest!

2008:

May 18th:

Released

The Briar's Chair, Cowboy Shirt With Vest Grey, Finding Nemo Coral Chair (Purple), Finding Nemo Hat, Finding Nemo Blue Pebble Carpet, Finding Nemo Shirt, Jungle Book Throne, Lilo & Stitch Hammock Couch, Lilo & Stitch Island Setting, Lilo & Stitch LP Chair, Lilo & Stitch Surfboard Table, Mission Space Helmet Purple, Mission Space Boots Purple, Mission Space Pants Purple, Mission Space Vest Purple, New Orleans Beret Teal, Royal Ride Teleporter, Superhero Pants Teal, and Superhero Shirt Teal are released.

Re-released

The Cowboy Pants are re-released.

May 19th:

Released

The Alice Shoes, ALR Cat On Rock, ALR Dee and Dumb, ALR Present Gate, ALR Tea Pot, ALR Queen, ALR Watchout Birds, Frozen Palm Tree Chair Red, Monsters Inc. Lamp, Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor Couch, Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor Poster, Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor Table, PPR BR Carpet, PPR Golden Ship, Space Ship Earth Table, Space Ship Earth Lamp, and X2 Spaceship Magic are released.

May 20th:

Released:

The Alien Encounter Pin, American Adventure Pin, Autopia Offroad Pink Magic Pin Single Use, Finding Nemo Coral Chair (Green), Finding Nemo Kelp Poster, Horizons Pin, Minnie Special, Mission Space Boots Pink, Mission Space Helmet Pink, Mission Space Pants Pink, Mission Space Vest Pink, and Yavn Pin are released.

Re-released

The ALR Sand Carpet and Tangaroa-Ru Tiki Idol Color Pink are re-released.

Retired

The Castle Suite Guest Room, Cinderella Pumpkin Carriage Chair, Heart Chair Yellow, Jester Hat Teal, Mardi Gras Mask, Party Hat Pink, Party Hat Yellow, Prince Philip Jacket Blue, Prince Philip Jacket Red, Prince Philip Pants Blue, Prince Philip Pants Red, Prince Philip Shoes, Princess Aurora Dress Bottom Blue, Princess Aurora Dress Bottom Pink, Princess Aurora Dress Top Blue, Princess Aurora Dress Top Pink, Princess Aurora Shoes Blue, Princess Aurora Shoes Pink, and Princess Aurora Tiara are retired.

May 21st:

Released

The Carnival Midway Ride Start, Carnival Midway Ride Teleporter, Midway Mania Booth Darts, Midway Mania Booth Milkbottles, Midway Mania Booth Rings, Mission Space Boots Blue, Mission Space Helmet Blue, Mission Space Mars Planet Poster, Mission Space Pants Blue, and Mission Space Vest Blue are released.

Re-released

The Mission Space Helmet, Mission Space Shoes, Mission Space Pants, and Mission Space Vest are re-released.

Retired

The Tiki Totem Topper is retired.

Yavn Speaks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yavn Speaks
Live and direct from VMK Central, here's Yavn with a final mesage to the Kingdom...

Not Goodbye...

Well here we are, at the end of a long journey. First, I'd like to say thank you for your notes, emails and letters – they have all made their way to me. I too have many great memories, and like you, I have a great appreciation of VMK.

I wish I could list out my favorite VMK memories and moments, but there are so many it's impossible to list them all. Of course something that I get asked over and over again is what inspired you to make VMK. For each of us it started with a love of the Disney Parks, and in my case it was a book...

The Big Blue Book

I was 11 years old when I went to see a Disney stage show. I don't remember the details of the show, only that each family that attended received a big blue book. In my family, I ended up with the book and spent many, many nights reading it. Over and over again.

The book was called "Disneyland, The First Quarter Century."

The book showcased the first 25 years of the Park with a few pages of the then upcoming Big Thunder Mountain. Many of the attractions shown were still in the Park, but a few that caught my eye (Flying Saucers, Phantom Boats and Carousel of Progress) made me wish I could turn back the clock.

Yavn took inspiration for VMK from this book about Disneyland.

I spent so much time visiting and reading about Disneyland that I started to know every inch of it, past and present. But Disneyland wasn't my only passion, I was also a huge fan of video games, and I always thought it would be cool to make a computerized version of Disneyland. Of course I had no idea what that would mean until much later...

What amazes me now is the way that Disneyland found its way to the internet, and again is showing the world an exciting new frontier – a digital frontier, that lives on the internet.

Now VMK is going away. Just like several attractions at Disneyland that have come and gone, VMK was just the first step in a new age of online attractions. However unlike Disneyland, VMK was never built to run forever. VMK was just the beginning – who knows what we will imagine next!

Still we've had a great time, shared some great memories – and years from now, someone will mention VMK in a conversation and you can smile and say proudly "Yeah, I played it."

Thank You!

Finally, we'd like to give all our players 30 days of unlimited access to both Pirates of the Caribbean Online and Toontown Online. If you're interested in this offer, email us at: [email protected].

Important: Please make sure you provide your VMK character name to be eligible (this is the character name you played as in VMK -- we don't need your login, password or other info, just your character name).

And Thank YOU!

It takes a great many people to create, build and run a virtual Park. I'd like to thank Team VMK, all of our friends and partners at Disneyland and Magic Kingdom – but most of all, you.

I ask one last favor of all of you – remember VMK as one step along the journey. Like I said, in the history of the Disney Parks, we've seen attractions go away to be replaced by better experiences. Still those older attractions are talked about today just as fondly as they were when they were opened (Flying Saucers, House Of The Future, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride at Walt Disney World, America Sings).

Let's keep a special place in our hearts and minds for VMK and remember the fun, friends and fantasy while we keep an eye toward the great things to come.

Remember this is farewell, not goodbye! After some much needed rest you'll probably catch me sailing the virtual seas in Pirates, or flying around in Pixie Hollow.

Thanks for playing VMK,
Yavn

VMK Closes

The Virtual Magic Kingdom closes its gates for the final time.

Thanks for reading and join us again next week as we remember VMK's past
Old 05-20-2009, 08:03 PM
VMK_Lion's #1 Fan!
Awards Showcase
Talk Like A Pirate Day 2011 Halloween'11 Award Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 
Total Awards: 50

My Mood: Happy
MLKnCookies has turned into a sparkling Pirate!MLKnCookies has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
2005: Wasn't part of beta.
2006: Lol, those tikis!! Fun times!
2007: I remember those pirate pins.
2008: Saddest times of vmk ever! I can't believe it's been a year since the closure.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
Smilie Story: The Beach Participant Award VMK Memories Award 
Total Awards: 2

Born In Park
My Mood: PinkFlips
Gracie624 is spinning in a Cursed Storm
2005: Beta wuz fun
2006: OOOOO Tiki Fun!
2007: - gets out credits - PIRATE PINNS.
2008: OIH EM GEE - crys -
Old 05-21-2009, 11:07 PM
.:Remember:.
Awards Showcase
Caption Contest Participant Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 3

Here Since Day 1
My Mood: VMK
cookiefairy is as Frosty as a Snowman
2005: I miss beta! Those were the days
2008: The VMK dark ages :'(
Old 05-22-2009, 01:24 AM
hmmm! (:
Awards Showcase
St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Trivia Winner Patriot 2010 Award Trivia Winner Happy Valentine's Day Trivia Winner Happy Holidays'09 Award 
Total Awards: 20

My Mood: Woah
Pink_Bink is covered with ConfettiPink_Bink is covered with ConfettiPink_Bink is covered with Confetti
I was at pirates most of the time getting credits to try and get all the new stuff.[:
I love the tikis!(:
I miss my tiki room. :[
I miss VMK! :'(
Old 05-24-2009, 03:00 AM
Farewell VMK&All Who Play
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Patriot 2010 Award Guess the Picture Participation Award 
Total Awards: 17

VIP
My Mood: Supercal
Adventurebry has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundAdventurebry has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundAdventurebry has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundAdventurebry has turned into a Bat and is flying around
2005- Playing VMK on my sister's account during beta with her was awesome, it was like a whole new world to relax in.

2007- Loved that pairate costume, and I remember buying enough Davy Jones pins to fill up my whole lanyard =). I played pirates a lot that day with PurpleMonkey.

2008-I cried the first time I read Yavn's letter last year, cried again today. I can't beleive it has already been a year since VMK's closing...

Sig made by Sushi--Adventurebry/AlphaPanchito RIP 2005-2008
Old 05-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Be cool by being yourself
Awards Showcase
Happy St. Patrick's Day 2010 Your Favorite Attraction Award Spooky Scribe Award Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Winners Award Trivia Winner 
Total Awards: 14

Born In Park VIP
My Mood: Cool
ccooldudecool is spinning in a Cursed Storm
2005- I played beta @ the park itself but I forgot my original info so yeah :/ still good times.
2006 - I remember wanting ALL those pins lol
2007 - Pirate costume was a good highlight to the week.
2008 - Worst week EVER ...
Old 05-19-2011, 01:26 AM
Hugs and Pixie Dust
Awards Showcase
Halloween'11 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2011 Summer Party Winner's Award Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 
Total Awards: 24

My Mood: Pixieish
Jezzi has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundJezzi has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundJezzi has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundJezzi has turned into a Bat and is flying around
B U M P !

Old 05-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Red Flips Rule!
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award Halloween'10 Award 2010 Holiday Award Carol Parody Winner's Award Epitaph Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 39

VIP
My Mood: RedFlips
StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!
Wow, can you believe it? Almost 6 years since VMK opened...
Old 05-21-2011, 01:35 AM
VMK_Lion's #1 Fan!
Awards Showcase
Talk Like A Pirate Day 2011 Halloween'11 Award Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 
Total Awards: 50

My Mood: Happy
MLKnCookies has turned into a sparkling Pirate!MLKnCookies has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
I can't believe how time flies, especially 3 years ago VMK closed. But since vmk opened in 2005, which was 6 years ago, everyone has moved on with their lives and are not 6 years older. So a 10 year old then is now 16, crazy.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:52 PM
I miss VMK!
Awards Showcase
Epitaph Participant's Award Your Favorite Attraction Award Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award Super Spooky Scribe Award Golden Years Award Design a Pin Participation's Award Patriot 2009 Award 
Total Awards: 17

Here Since Day 1
My Mood: QuiteMad
LexieandTink is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I was not aware of several of the items that were released in the last week of VMK, like the Yavn pin. I so want one!
Old 05-18-2012, 02:58 PM
Hugs and Pixie Dust
Awards Showcase
Halloween'11 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2011 Summer Party Winner's Award Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 
Total Awards: 24

My Mood: Pixieish
Jezzi has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundJezzi has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundJezzi has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundJezzi has turned into a Bat and is flying around
B U M P !

Old 05-18-2012, 03:35 PM
Registered+

Here Since Day 1
My Mood: BadDay
MrMistero is spinning in a Cursed Storm
thanks for uploading!
Old 05-20-2013, 02:32 AM
Administrator

My Mood: Disney
Joan is spinning in a Cursed Storm
B U M P!