Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Other > Virtual Stories > Magic Kingdom Memoirs

Magic Kingdom Memoirs Where dreams are buried, but not forgotten.

Old A Writer's Guide To Stories

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Banned

Xiaolin has Fireworks shooting off over their headXiaolin has Fireworks shooting off over their headXiaolin has Fireworks shooting off over their headXiaolin has Fireworks shooting off over their head
A Writer's Guide To Stories

A Writer's Guide To Stories

Do you want to know how to write good stories? Follow some of these simple tips and you might find yourself creating a whole new world!

Tips For Your Story

Genre:

Make sure you have a genre. The best kind of genre for making your own world is fantasy. Sometime's you'd want to re-create a historical event that happened, pick Historical/Science Fiction. Pick a genre that best describes that type of things you want to write about.

Similes/Metaphors:

Use good similes and metaphors. A simile is a comparison using like or as. A metaphor is a comparison without using like or as. Create a vivid description for the reader to imagine using similes or metaphors. Let them go with the flow and understand the sceneary that is being described. E.x. (Similie) The scarf waved in the breeze as if it was being carried away. (Metaphor) Her eyes were the sun shining down.

Characters:

Let the character(s) have feelings, emotions, thoughts, and a personality. If your character is a nervous person, make them feel as if they feel that they can't do it. If they are brave, show it by making them do an act of challenging kindness. Let there thoughts and feelings show who they are. Make sure their personality fits what they are.

Names:

If you're having a hard time making names for lands, forests, characters, books, or other items, look online for some baby names. Use Latin roots and create names in which they are. E.x. Lupin is lupine in Latin. It means werewolf. Look at other books and create a name based on something you liked about them. Use a place in real life and re-form the name. Use places like 'castle, swamp, marsh, fields, forest, river, ocean, sea, land, something that even sounds poor, cave, underground', anything that can be used as a location.

Setting/Places:

From above: Use places like 'castle, swamp, marsh, fields, forest, river, ocean, sea, land, something that even sounds poor, cave, underground', anything that can be used as a location. Make sure that place has setting.. what time was it, how the sky looked, how the ground was, if it was barren, humid, a rainforest, a beautiful place full of flowers, etc.. Make sure there is a vivid description. Make sure you tell where it's near to, and what time and season it was.

Steps For Your Story

Step 1 - Planning:

Use the tips above, plan out what the story is gonna be about. Who will the main character be? What will the main conflict of the story be? Will this be a continuing story? Will I create my own language? Will it be a new world? Let your imagination run wild and spend as much time as you want on this step.

Step 2 - Writing:

When you write, use vivid description so that the reader will get PULLED in. But make sure that you don't put too much description, in which the reader will be bored. Let the reader be in the story. Make sure you use lots of dialouge, because that's what the readers love! Use good grammar, good punctuation, and make sure that everyone will understand the story. Try to let the story flow. If you're making a mystery, leave small hints in the story and sum it up in the end.

Step 3 - Revising:

Always make sure you revise your story before you release it to the public. Make sure everything is right, and that the margins are ok. Space out the story. Make sure to indent your paragraphs. Leave some suspense for the next chapter, readers love to have suspense if they stop at the end of a chapter.

Step 4 - The Title:

Do this last! Think of what your story was about, think of what the main theme was. Think of the characters and world. Then, think of a title that makes the entire story come together. Make sure the title isn't a common cliche kind of title. Make it wild! E.x. Beyond Deep-ness.

Here is an example of a story written by me:

Quote:
As the glistening moon rose, Neil snuck out of his bed. Neil was a 13 year old boy, who was sent to Mortimer School of Wizardry at 3. He had black hair & dark eyes. Neil crept towards the doors that lead to where the dark wand slept. Ivo, the wand’s guardian, was leaning against the wall, snoring. “Better not wake him up,” Neil whispered as he slowly opened the brown doors. The wand was laying down in a glass case. The wand was the only thing illuminated in the room. Neil stepped forward, cautious of making a sound. He then sprinted to the case and snatched the wand off of its bed.
Enjoy the writing of your story and I can't wait to read it!

Last edited by Xiaolin; 09-13-2007 at 05:08 PM..
Old 09-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Good Morning VMKF Crew!

My Mood: VMK
MasterMario is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Cool Guide Thanks!
Old 09-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Banned

Xiaolin has Fireworks shooting off over their headXiaolin has Fireworks shooting off over their headXiaolin has Fireworks shooting off over their headXiaolin has Fireworks shooting off over their head
You're welcome, and thanks!
Old 09-11-2007, 11:48 PM
June 2nd 05 - May 21st 08
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Smilie Winners Award Joy To The World Smile For Entering Award 
Total Awards: 4

My Mood: Author
coolJamz has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundcoolJamz has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundcoolJamz has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Nice Job, Xioalin, i didn't know you wrote stories! we can team up and write a super story

Jam
Old 09-12-2007, 01:07 AM
Banned

LOL, maybe we can. LOL.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Hall of Fame

Grandma is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Very well written guide and deserving of being stickied.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Banned

Aww, thanks a lot! My first guide stickied and people like it.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:05 PM
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Smilie Winners Award Joy To The World Smile For Entering Award 

coolJamz has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundcoolJamz has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundcoolJamz has turned into a Bat and is flying around
same with mine, Xiaolin!
congrats on the sticky,!
Old 09-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Banned

Congrats on your sticky as well.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Awards Showcase

Ty Xiaolin.i
Old 09-13-2007, 04:20 PM
~*~ Life Happens ~*~

Skylar is as Frosty as a Snowman
This si a really good guide, but simile is spelled wrong
Old 09-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Banned

Whoops, I'll correct it. Thanks Skylar!
Old 09-22-2007, 09:05 PM
I will destroy it all !!!

Brave_Gogeta is spinning in a Cursed Storm
heh

ppl might need this so u should upgrade it often
Old 09-22-2007, 11:26 PM
Banned

Ok, thanks for the advice.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Banned

I think this guide is very helpful, if you want to make great stories. I'll try to update it as much as I can, but I don't think I have much more to add.