Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Magic Kingdoms > The Other Magic Kingdoms

The Other Magic Kingdoms Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong, all the other Disney parks looking for a forum of their own

Old DCL Gets Upgraded! (merged)

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:39 AM
Banned

Oranges has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundOranges has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundOranges has turned into a Bat and is flying around
DCL Gets Upgraded! (merged)

Disney just ordered two massive new ships to add to their personal fleet on the Disney Cruise Line!

from USAToday

Quote:
The small but successful Disney Cruise Line today ordered two massive new ships in a move that will more than double its passenger capacity.

Disney CEO Bob Iger says the company has contracted with the Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg, Germany, to build the 2,500-passenger vessels, scheduled to launch in 2011 and 2012. At 122,000 tons, the ships will be nearly 50% larger than the line's two existing 1,750-passenger ships, the Disney Magic and Disney Wonder.

"Disney Cruise Line has been a huge success for our guests and for our shareholders alike," Iger said in a statement that accompanied the annoucement. "It has brought our unparalleled family vacation experience to the high seas, and has also generated high margins and double digit returns on invested capital. We’re excited to announce the expansion of our fleet, which is a logical next step in what is a real growth business for us."

Disney played a critical role in creating the family market within the cruise industry when it debuted its first two ships in 1998 and 1999, but it never followed up with additional vessels. Those early ships were purpose built for families and boasted such innovative features as an entire deck dedicated to children's activities and an adults-only entertainment area for parents who wanted some alone time.

Disney says that like its current ships, the as-yet-unnamed newcomers will be a modern interpretation of classic ocean liners of the 1930s. But the company is mum on specifics for the design and itineraries.

The nine-year-old line has primarily offered trips in the Caribbean until now but has recently begun branching out. This summer it'll offer its first cruises in Europe aboard the Disney Magic. Disney has said the European trips have sold faster and at higher prices than its Caribbean offerings, a sign that there is strong demand for additional itineraries.

Cruise Loggers, tell us what you think about Disney's announcement HERE. Have you sailed on a Disney ship? What did you like about it and what should the line do differently?
~Oranges
Old 02-23-2007, 09:27 AM
Red Flips Rule!
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award Halloween'10 Award 2010 Holiday Award Carol Parody Winner's Award Epitaph Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 39

VIP
My Mood: RedFlips
StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!
DCL Doubles their Fleet!

[IMG]http://i15.************/34pc0zq.jpg[/IMG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local6
As expected, The Walt Disney Co. is expanding its fleet of cruise ships, more than doubling the capacity of what has proven to be a highly popular -- and profitable -- business.

Disney said Thursday it has signed a letter of intent with Meyer Werft shipyard of Papenburg, Germany, to negotiate a contract to build two 122,000-ton cruise liners.

The ships will each be two decks taller than the two existing Disney cruise ships, Disney Magic and Disney Wonder, which are based in Florida. Each ship will have 1,250 staterooms and are expected to be ready by 2011 and 2012. The company has not yet determined where the ships will be docked or what routes they will travel. Its current ships offer three-, four- and seven-night Caribbean cruises.

The offerings have expanded in recent years to include trips to the Mediterranean and to Mexico from a temporary home in California. The West Coast cruises, some of which include passage through the Panama Canal, typically sell out in a matter of days.

"With a larger fleet, we'll have greater flexibility to offer a variety of itineraries," Jay Rasulo, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, said in a statement.

Disney Cruise Lines have been wildly popular since they began in 1998. Almost immediately, the company began talking about expanding, but foreign exchange rates had made the cost of building new ships prohibitive.

2 Current Ships: 83,000 tons, 2000 guests, 1000 cast members, 10 normal decks.
New ships: 122,000 tons, 4000 guests, 2 new decks, 1,250 staterooms, 12 normal decks.

I can personally not wait for this. I've been on 3 Disney cruise's and loved every one, hopefully I'll be able to see what these two ships are like!

DCLPress | Local6
Old 02-23-2007, 07:15 PM
There's always something.
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Super Donation Award 
Total Awards: 2

Born In Park VIP
Chaelle is covered with ConfettiChaelle is covered with ConfettiChaelle is covered with Confetti
Oooh!
So, the bigger ships are the newer ones?
I haven't been on a disney cruise (or any cruise before).
~Chaelle

~Chaelle
Old 08-07-2007, 05:35 AM
Welcome to the Jungle...
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

TheFireworkZach is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I have been on two cruises (Disney Magic Western Caribbean Fall 2004, Carnival Pride Mexico Fall 2005) and I am going on another Disney Magic western Caribbean in the Fall of 2008. Disney ships are very fun and bring an amazing experience to people of all ages.

I can't wait for these two new ships to come out and see some more details about them.

- Zach
Old 08-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Still looking for Nemo

My Mood: Adventurous
Nemofinder is spinning in a Cursed Storm
but what are the ships names ???