Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > VMK Gaming Archived Forums > Player Created Mini-Games & Quests > Player Created Mini-Games & Quests Archive

Player Created Mini-Games & Quests Archive Player Created Mini-Games & Quests Archive

Old Alice's Red Chair Maze

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 10-08-2005, 11:36 AM
aka Priz
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 2

prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!
Alice's Red Chair Maze

Alice was quite surprised when she saw the White Rabbit vanish into a hole in a tree, muttering its usual about how late it was. Shrugging, she ran after him, finding the inside of the tree curiously lit, but much larger than she expected.

"I wonder if this is what the caterpillar feels like as it goes through the ground," suddenly wondering if caterpillars did that, or if that was worms. Her musings were interrupted when, still in the tree, she heard the voices of the Mad Hatter and the March Hare. She paused to listen, just short of what appeared to be the exit.

"Today is a remarkable day!" exclaimed the Hatter.

"Yes! Truly remarkable. Wonderful!" agreed the Hare, before pausing for a minute and inquiring, "Why? Is it your unbirthday again?"

"Nevermind that. It is a red letter day!"

"Yes! Of course! A red letter day!"

There was a pause in their conversation.

"Why are you dipping your finger in the treacle?" asked the Hatter.

"To try and make red letters. But they come out rather brown."

"Ah, but once you have written a letter, you may read it. Thus it has been red!"

"Splendid! A red letter day indeed! How shall we celebrate?"

"We shall award a present..."

At this point Alice heard the sleepy voice of the Doormouse shout "Present!"

"Put your hand down. We're not in class," exclaimed the March Hare.

"As I was saying, we shall award a present to the person who sits in the red chair, in the clearings yonder."

At this point, Alice stepped into the clearing, to find a field of blue chairs, with a single red chair in one corner. There were teacups there as well, although Alice wondered with all her size changes if the teacups were large, the chairs small, or just what the size of everything was supposed to be.

The offer of a present was tempting, so she tried to sit there, and found the paths between the chairs blocked somehow.

Sitting in the first chair, instead, she quickly discovered that she could move from chair to chair, sometimes crawling over the backs of the chairs. "How unladylike," she giggled to herself, thinking what her sister or the Reverend might say. "But this is just like one of those hedge mazes back at home! I can solve this."

As the paths twisted, she found herself entering one of the teacups. Before she knew it, she felt herself lifted up and tipped over, landing back into the chair she had come from!

"So this is what being drunk feels like. Curious."

But things seemed different once tipped out. The maze seemed like it had changed. She continued on, growing more and more tired by the moment. "I know this is like one of those brain puzzles the Reverend always comes up with, but I'm so tired, and it seems so long. How can I get to the red chair?"

Can you help Alice, and get a present for yourself? Come join us at Alice's Red Chair Maze and find out, or start out with a spot of tea at Alice's Restaurant before you try your hand at the maze.

(And watch this thread for information about winners and technical information about the maze.)

You are now leaving Prizkneeland, home of
please fasten your reality belts

preserving VMK for a future that will understand it.

Power to the Players!

Last edited by prisoner; 10-28-2007 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: picture from gallery
Old 10-08-2005, 11:47 AM
hi

crushandgush is spinning in a Cursed Storm
best idea ever priz as good as the sub races that we love i even saw it before contruction (priz is very mad about me in the diver suit ha ha LOL)

Last edited by SpinMarty; 10-10-2005 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: removed long quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:18 AM
aka Priz
Awards Showcase

prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!
Winners - 8 Oct

After getting sent to the entrance on the easy maze, and not wanting to wait through 433 people to try again, I decided to go open Alice's Maze.

Just by rough counts, we got about 10 people who entered the maze to at least try it a little, with several more running directly off to the restaurant without even saying hi. Very strange.

Only one person completed the maze while I was there, however:
  • LAdyRaiders

For being the first one to win, she got... Fireworks Magic! Further prizes won't be so good, but I expect the next 10 or so people will get a pretty nice prize. I hope she comments on her race experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushandgush
best idea ever priz as good as the sub races that we love i even saw it before contruction (priz is very mad about me in the diver suit ha ha LOL)
How do you know how good it is? Did you go through it? I agree, I think it looks pretty cool, but how fun is it? That is the real proof.

There was at least one person who kept getting frustrated with the maze. I didn't see them at the last level, so I guess they didn't really like it as much as you seem to.

Technical information will be coming in the future. Hope to see you there! If not, you can get to it on your own and practice until I come. Good luck, everyone, and have a Disney Day.

Power to the Players!
Old 10-09-2005, 01:13 PM
I like books.
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award 2010 Trivia Winner Happy Holidays'09 Award Caption Contest Participant 
Total Awards: 6

Here Since Day 1
My Mood: VMK
SmileGirl is spinning in a Cursed Storm
wait will that room be open today?
Old 10-09-2005, 01:45 PM
aka Priz
Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileGirl
wait will that room be open today?
I make no promises about when, or even if, I open any of my rooms. Alice's Maze may be open more frequently than the Submarine Races were since it is easier for me to open it and walk away and do other things.

Starting at some point next week, I may start emailing people on my friends list who are on when I open the maze.

Power to the Players!
Old 10-09-2005, 01:48 PM
Vurtual me!!!!

MasterTeddy is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Kool Kool Cool Cool kool kool cool cool
Old 10-09-2005, 02:19 PM
cheerchickhi on vmk

skaterkidcky0 ’s Invisible pin is 5* - Spooky!
i think it may be one of the new rooms in vmk but it may as well be a halloween thing

wanted poster cactus chair hm room pirate and tent room teleportation
magic carpet when comes out o o ya i want yavn as a friend
Old 10-09-2005, 03:03 PM
aka Priz
Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTeddy
Kool Kool Cool Cool kool kool cool cool
Thank you. I hope you feel the same way once you try it. {:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterkidcky0
i think it may be one of the new rooms in vmk but it may as well be a halloween thing
I wish I knew what you were talking about. {:

This is a maze that I created, myself. This is why it is in the "Player Created Mini Games" section. The story is mine as well, but based on the works of Lewis Carrol.

This is not my Haloween themed game. That is on hold until VMK fixes certain specific bugs. I plan to keep this maze open indefinitely.

Power to the Players!
Old 10-09-2005, 09:28 PM
LAdyRaiders on VMK

LadyRaiders has disabled reputation
This game is very challenging, yet very fun. I had fun doing it even though I lost my connection in the process.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:06 PM
Never too old for tink!

FashionRocker is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Nice! I'm eager to try it now.
I think a break from the long haunted maze lines, finally getting through, then crashing, is majorly needed. Too bad I'm determined to get to the second room of the easy maze, I've been in the line 3 times then crash. Other than that I crash in queue. It feels like a curse
Old 10-10-2005, 10:45 AM
aka Priz
Awards Showcase

Winners - 9 Oct

After a day spending time with family, I finally got home to try the event maze - only to crash just before going in the gate. Ah well. Wasn't going to try that again, so I opened up the chair maze and immediately had a few visitors.

Although about 10 or 15 people started while I was there, only 2 made it to the end. Seems like people do much better once they get past the first part ("what? there is more than one part?" I hear people screaming. Details some other day. ). These winners both received a Pumpkin With Mickey Ears:
  • GenieOfLamp
  • mcanod

Unfortunately, I then had to go afk, but did get a message later from someone else saying they had won and looked forward to playing it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRaiders
This game is very challenging, yet very fun. I had fun doing it even though I lost my connection in the process.
I am very glad you enjoyed it and was our first winner.

I hope that is one of the things that smaller, more personal, mazes can acomplish. That people can feel comfortable starting the game over if they needed to and not have to re-do so much of their work, but still have a good challenge. I even hope that it is almost as fun and challenging after the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionRocker
I think a break from the long haunted maze lines, finally getting through, then crashing, is majorly needed.
I think the event planners had a near impossible job, and they faced it bravely and did their best. I'd rather this thread not turn into complaints abot the event, but an open and frank discussion about how we as players can make some great mazes of our own.

To that point - it is easier for us. We aren't going to have a few hundred people trying to come in at once. And as I said - I hope that I've created Alice's maze both hard enough to enjoy, but easy enough to start over if you need to for whatever reason.

As I left yesterday, it looked like I had hit the tipping point, and people were rushing into the room. I don't know what they saw or thought, or even who they were, but I hope some of them were community leaders (and staff?) who helped out on the event and were able to kick back and enjoy the maze a bit.

Hope you all have a Red Letter Day!

Power to the Players!
Old 10-10-2005, 01:43 PM
URAQTNINVU GreenDev -Blue

DevTheGreat is as Frosty as a Snowman
Lol in the Even There was a Maze rom where the entrace wasnt blocked off and my friend called me to come but i was afk xD

BTW the maze is real fun just very confuzing
Old 10-10-2005, 08:44 PM
Miley Fan:D

RedRockingMint doesn’t quite have what it takes to pull out the sword
Quote:
Originally Posted by prisoner
After getting sent to the entrance on the easy maze, and not wanting to wait through 433 people to try again, I decided to go open Alice's Maze.

Just by rough counts, we got about 10 people who entered the maze to at least try it a little, with several more running directly off to the restaurant without even saying hi. Very strange.

Only one person completed the maze while I was there, however:
  • LAdyRaiders

For being the first one to win, she got... Fireworks Magic! Further prizes won't be so good, but I expect the next 10 or so people will get a pretty nice prize. I hope she comments on her race experience.

How do you know how good it is? Did you go through it? I agree, I think it looks pretty cool, but how fun is it? That is the real proof.

There was at least one person who kept getting frustrated with the maze. I didn't see them at the last level, so I guess they didn't really like it as much as you seem to.

Technical information will be coming in the future. Hope to see you there! If not, you can get to it on your own and practice until I come. Good luck, everyone, and have a Disney Day.
i was there i saw u
Old 10-11-2005, 10:53 AM
aka Priz
Awards Showcase

Technical Info - Origins

I didn't have time to open the maze last night (and probably won't until this weekend), so I figured it was time to present some background about how I came up with the idea.

I always say "start with a story", and I have to confess that I didn't quite start with it. I knew I wanted to build a maze - I liked the mazes that I had seen so far and the announcement of an upcoming maze event started me thinking about what I like in a maze. I wanted something a little different. It was Alexander's maze that probably got me thinking a bit more about how I could make a maze that was both different and challenging. The final bit of inspiration was a technical note from JediViper when talking about his queue, when I realized how to make the maze a maze - but more on that later.

I knew that for what I wanted I would need space, so I consulted the room maps we have been working on and discovered that the Tea Party room was one of the largest and most regularly shaped rooms. This would be ideal.

From here - the story took shape. Alice going through a maze, teacups between identical rooms, I could make the chair red and make a play on words, etc. This helped shape the final look of the room - the field of blue chairs and the distinguishing red chair in the corner. I briefly considered additional teleporters in the room, but they just took up too much space, so I ultimately settled on the two per room that are part of the maze, plus the one that is squeezed in as an alternate entrance.

And then... well... it is mostly technical. So that is a story for another time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevTheGreat
the maze is real fun just very confuzing
Well, it wouldn't be much of a maze if it wasn't...

But let me ask this, as I always do - what makes it fun for you?

Power to the Players!
Old 10-11-2005, 11:07 AM
Miracle from Molecules
Awards Showcase
Golden Years Award Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Private Message Donation Award 
Total Awards: 4

Schmoofy has Levitated to new heights!Schmoofy has Levitated to new heights!Schmoofy has Levitated to new heights!Schmoofy has Levitated to new heights!Schmoofy has Levitated to new heights!Schmoofy has Levitated to new heights!Schmoofy has Levitated to new heights!Schmoofy has Levitated to new heights!
May I ask a question priz? Will you be open tonight for regular players such as me? I would enjoy coming to try the maze,since mazes are my specialty.