Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > VMK Remembered

VMK Remembered Post your experiences you've had in game!

Old VMK More than the sum of it's parts

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Registered+

Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: VMK
Tport is spinning in a Cursed Storm
VMK More than the sum of it's parts

VMK is coming up on four years closed, and yet we still remember and miss our old home away from home. VMK was just a game. It used servers, programs and ultimately was just a product of technology. So why then do we feel the way we do?

I feel that VMK was much more than the sum of it's parts. VMK created a community that was truly amazing. That is what we miss. You can only play so many games of Air Lock Escape, but your friends that's a different story. Many of the bitter feelings out there about VMK closing I feel is due to loosing that community and friends. VMK didn't allow us to exchange information, so when VMK closed it's doors, it technically closed them on those friendships as well.

When we were on VMK, we were special and it belonged to all of us. At least that's how we felt, the reality was much different. Disney closing VMK was simply part of a business decision, however that decision ran counter to the magic, and follow your dreams mantra that Disney puts out there.

There are a ton of other sites, some technically amazing, and realistic, but nothing seems to have that simple magical quality that we came to love about VMK. The anniversary of VMK closing makes me think; are we lucky to have had VMK, even for a short time, or are we just throw-a-ways left to fend for ourselves? Even after four years, I'm not sure of the answer myself.

Behind every avatar is a real person and the people of VMK were like no other. That is what I miss, the residents of VMK that made a community that was a home and far and away more than the sum of it's parts!
Old 05-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Registered+

Here Since Day 1
My Mood: BadDay
MrMistero is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Tport I understand your deep desire of hurt I am also hurt as well, and this is the whole reason why I'm starting up a project that will insure many kids that can't afford membership or can go to Disney world/land a place to go to. but do keep in mind that even tho the game I'm working on and starting off with rough sketches will never ever be vmk but it will suite it with it own land will replace the hurts and many people hearts. So far I've been working on some rough drawings and will be needing to get some colors to draw some parts where it will need to be colored and afterwards I'm going to put it onto Photoshop to make it look absolutely better and then have a programmer to make all the charaters move.

Last edited by Jezzi; 05-17-2012 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: Flaming/Advertising
Old 05-27-2012, 02:12 AM
Deal with it!
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Graphics Trio Award 
Total Awards: 23

Born In Park
My Mood: Evil
EtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with ConfettiEtnaGreen is covered with Confetti
This is an interesting concept. I do agree, though. It wasn't just the graphics, staff, mini games, or friends that made vmk special. It was the sum of all of the aspects. Your grief is understandable. I was upset for quite some time, but as my life became busier I thought less and less about vmk's closure. From time to time I still think about it, but it doesn't consume me anymore. Luckily whenever I feel upset about the closure, I can log on here and see my vmkforums family. I know that we lost a lot due to vmk's closing, but it's nice to look at the silver lining. When vmk closed my grades improved and I was able to participate in more activities. I also gained a tighter bond with my vmkf family. I know that they will always be there and I don't have to worry about it closing. At this point I think it’s pointless to be angry, it won’t change anything, but I will be thankful for what vmk has given me.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:05 PM
music+skating=kelly.o

My Mood: Confused
kelly.o is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I actually never thought of it like that. I still miss it especially the times where im bored out of my mind. I miss all the close friends i made.

Sig was made by me Mean Green Kelly.o The flip hat crew
I wanted to be Part of your world before it was cool