Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > VMK Remembered > VMK Remembered Archive

VMK Remembered Archive Archive for VMK Remembered forum.

Old I still don't understand...

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Here From Day 1
Awards Showcase
2010 Holiday Award Your Favorite Attraction Award Happy Holidays'09 Award Xmas Wishlist '09 
Total Awards: 4

Here Since Day 1
My Mood: Disney
zephr is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I still don't understand...

The reasoning that VMK was closed because it was promotional material.

I mean, sure, VMK was a promotional game. It was a promo for Disneyland's 50th Anniversary. Everyone knows that.

But thing is, there's ALWAYS an in-park promotion going on at the Disney Parks.

Like, 2006-2008. Year of a Million Dreams. Well, the three years of a Million Dreams. We saw a bit of cross-promotion through VMK with the Dreams chairs, shirts, rooms, and other items.

And it's not like this stuff ended. Now, in 2009, it's the What Will You Celebrate? campaign.

VMK was enough of a standalone entity to be able to tie in perfectly with whatever Disney happened to be pushing at the time. I don't understand why it was closed, really. They could have made lots more money off of it, had they only marketed the game and the parks properly.

But if you can explain, by all means, do so.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:26 PM
disco pogo
Awards Showcase
Make A Wish Award Halloween'10 Award 2010 Holiday Award Epitaph Participant's Award Caption Contest Winner's Award Graphics Trio Award VMK Memories Award 2010 Happy St. Patrick's Day 2010 
Total Awards: 26

Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Surrender
BuzzBoy133 is covered with ConfettiBuzzBoy133 is covered with ConfettiBuzzBoy133 is covered with Confetti
It cost too much to keep running.
It alone brought no profit.
I relied on promoting, and it didn't promote well enough.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Masked Cowboy
Awards Showcase
St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Epitaph Winner's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 
Total Awards: 49

VIP
My Mood: Happy
SoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing Inferno
You seem to understand perfectly. VMK closed because Disney did not think that it was making them money and did not think that it had financial potential for the future. The "just a promotion" explanation was contradictory and obviously was a pretext for the closing. If VMK was just a promotion, then Disney would have closed it down at the end of the 50th celebration. But did they? No. They continued to run the game because it was making them money. So you can't call an online game "just a promotion" when it runs past its original promotional timeslot. And you can't expect us to believe, Disney, that it's logical to close down a game that you called successful. They lied in that analysis. They obviously thought it was tanking because they shut it down. However, like you said, VMK could have been a huge financial success if it was handled properly. So yes, it was a mistake.

And they can't tell us that they're about "moving on" when they're making a High School Musical 4.

Play trivia at #vmktrivia to win a purple scrolly!
Old 08-02-2009, 01:47 AM
Trivia Addict
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Make A Wish Award Trivia Winner Epitaph Participant's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 
Total Awards: 16

VIP
My Mood: Creative
bluedudeman has turned into a sparkling Pirate!bluedudeman has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
Wait are they seriously making an HSM 4... sigh..

Anyways, I think disney should bring it back but make it pay-to-play, it would solve their problems.

I think that was the only reason they closed right? So just make it pay-to-play...
Old 08-02-2009, 01:54 AM
disco pogo
Awards Showcase
Make A Wish Award Halloween'10 Award 2010 Holiday Award Epitaph Participant's Award Caption Contest Winner's Award Graphics Trio Award VMK Memories Award 2010 Happy St. Patrick's Day 2010 
Total Awards: 26

Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Surrender
BuzzBoy133 is covered with ConfettiBuzzBoy133 is covered with ConfettiBuzzBoy133 is covered with Confetti
Those new characters in HSM3, are so they can continue the franchise into another movie.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:57 AM
Trivia Addict
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Make A Wish Award Trivia Winner Epitaph Participant's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 

VIP
bluedudeman has turned into a sparkling Pirate!bluedudeman has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
Never saw 3... yay, the HSM Dynasty is just beginning >_<
Old 08-02-2009, 02:02 AM
You've got a friend in me
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Winners Award Caption Contest Participant Happy Valentine's Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 8

My Mood: LiveChat
fantasyforever is as Frosty as a Snowman
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedudeman View Post
Anyways, I think disney should bring it back but make it pay-to-play, it would solve their problems.

I think that was the only reason they closed right? So just make it pay-to-play...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerRyan View Post
VMK closed because Disney did not think that it was making them money and did not think that it had financial potential for the future. The They continued to run the game because it was making them money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzBoy133 View Post
It cost too much to keep running.
It alone brought no profit.
I relied on promoting, and it didn't promote well enough.
Wrong.
Disney made 37 billion dollars last year.
The cost to keep everything running plus paychecks was 7 billion.
30 billion profit.
How could they close it down? They made a 30 billion dollar profit?
There was obviously some other reason.
To be honest, I'm tired of hearing all of this chatter of 'money was the reason VMK closed' I have yet to see proof.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:07 AM
Trivia Addict
Awards Showcase

VIP
Sorry, I don't really know the reason. I have no proof, I just went with what the people were saying haha.

However, your... third sentence "the cost to keep everything running + paychecks" A) how do you know that amount B) Is that just VMK or is that the Parks and stuff too?
Old 08-02-2009, 02:35 AM
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Winners Award Caption Contest Participant Happy Valentine's Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedudeman View Post
Sorry, I don't really know the reason. I have no proof, I just went with what the people were saying haha.

However, your... third sentence "the cost to keep everything running + paychecks" A) how do you know that amount B) Is that just VMK or is that the Parks and stuff too?
1. Research
2. Yes, that is the Operating income.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:37 AM
Trivia Addict
Awards Showcase

VIP
Well they could have wanted more money...

Let's see..

37bill-7bill for stuff - VMK amount < 37bill - 7 bill

Right?
Old 08-02-2009, 02:58 AM
Too lazy to post
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award Crossword Puzzle Participant's Award Happy St. Patrick's Day 2010 Your Favorite Attraction Award Happy Valentine's Day 
Total Awards: 24

My Mood: Busy
Pisces has turned into a sparkling Pirate!Pisces has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerRyan View Post
And they can't tell us that they're about "moving on" when they're making a High School Musical 4.
Oh gosh great point... Why of whyyy...
"How many HSM movies are you making?"
"Uhh... A bunch..."
"HOW many people strongly disliked the first?"
"Uhh... A bunch..."
"How many more people strongly disliked the second?"
"Uhh... A bunch..."
"How many people played VMK?"
"Uhh... A bunch..."
"How many complaints did you get about VMK closing?"
"OH GOSH! We got a bunch!"
If you ask me, Disney seems to have a history of not listening to people

It doesn't really matter that Disney has the money to continue VMK, they probably were thinking "WHY should we continue this when we aren't really getting any money from it"
Something I've always thought since its closing was announced April 7th, 2008:
The first blackheart quest had just ended. Does everyone remember how crazy everybody went trying to finish that quest? I've always thought that they just got sick and tired of players breaking rules and being ungreatful and complaining that they just decided to say "That's it! We're through! We never want to hear about this game again! We're giving this stuff to these people for free and yet all they seem to want to do is whine and complain!" I'm not saying I didn't whine or break a rule here and there, but it's the only theory that makes complete sense to me. Well, not really, because it seems that I'm sure they got even more complaints when they closed it down but...
The whole thing about it being a promotion was probably just Disney trying to sound like they weren't giving up on something...

Slightly off topic, but seems to me like they're going to change their mascot soon >.> Who cares about Mickey when you can have high schoolers?
Old 08-02-2009, 05:21 AM
Masked Cowboy
Awards Showcase
St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Epitaph Winner's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 
Total Awards: 49

VIP
My Mood: Happy
SoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing Inferno
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyforever View Post
Wrong.
Disney made 37 billion dollars last year.
The cost to keep everything running plus paychecks was 7 billion.
30 billion profit.
How could they close it down? They made a 30 billion dollar profit?
There was obviously some other reason.
To be honest, I'm tired of hearing all of this chatter of 'money was the reason VMK closed' I have yet to see proof.
Money was the reason. There is no other logical explanation. Tell me, please, why would Disney close down a game that was making them money? Disney has a budget. They achieve high profits because they make money on their endeavors. If something doesn't make them money, that is, expenses become greater than revenue, they shut it down. Disney estimated that VMK wasn't profitting them so they shut it down.

Play trivia at #vmktrivia to win a purple scrolly!
Old 08-02-2009, 01:55 PM
Awards Showcase

There was obviously some other reason Disney did not want to explain because, either:
A) It would make the embarassed
or
B) Or make them hated.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
VMK Memories Award 
Total Awards: 1

VIP
My Mood: SaveVMK
ThrillJacob is as Frosty as a Snowman
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyforever View Post
There was obviously some other reason Disney did not want to explain because, either:
A) It would make the embarassed
or
B) Or make them hated.
Let's bring the Sulake contract issue (or Paramount signing with Sulake, causing Sulake to not be allowed to extend a contract with Disney) back to the table. Maybe it wasn't Disney who was embarrassed. Maybe Sulake was embarrassed and didn't want the blame, so they made it say that it was a promotion in the newsletter.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:20 PM
up the irons \m/
Awards Showcase
VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 3

My Mood: Evil
dabaseballking ’s Invisible pin is 5* - Spooky!
hey, VMK MADE ME WANT TO GO TO DISNEY.. and I'm sure it did for alot of you.

Last edited by UpInTheAir; 08-03-2009 at 01:16 AM.. Reason: non-g